• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sun & Moon Pokémon Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I don't really agree with Aipom being an empty slot. During her tenure as Ash's pokémon, she's had some decent battles, screentime and development. It only become toxic waste after the whole trade thing.

I think it had to do with the trade thing and the later parts where aipom just went which was stupid, this makes aipom's worth in ash's team as waste ash just could have caught buizel straight away and dawn would have caught aipm in DP instead of ash catching it towards the end of AG and wasting a non hoenn pokemon spot in his team with an actual hoenn pokemon.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I think it had to do with the trade thing and the later parts where aipom just went which was stupid, this makes aipom's worth in ash's team as waste ash just could have caught buizel straight away and dawn would have caught aipm in DP instead of ash catching it towards the end of AG and wasting a non hoenn pokemon spot in his team with an actual hoenn pokemon.
Yeah the whole thing was treated badly imo; Dawn should have just kept her instead of letting her go just for a freebee Togekiss

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
I don't really agree with Aipom being an empty slot. During her tenure as Ash's pokémon, she's had some decent battles, screentime and development. It only become toxic waste after the whole trade thing.
I loved aipom, but when it was Ash's pokemon and its main thing was be "a contest pokemon that likes to battle". It was unique and actually added something to the Sinnoh squad. I probably expressed myself wrong, I wanted to say aipom was wasted in AG, because its slot would serve better to a Houenn pokemon, when in DP, it was fine and had a gen IV evolution...but aipom lost all its charm the moment it went to Dawn, it was just...there. It was sad.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Kintaro said:
Also people exaggerate how full Ash's teams were in past series.

I agree, and I've said before that Satoshi not having a full team by this point in Alola isn't such a bad thing since he'll most likely get his old Bevenom back for the Alola League anyway.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I just find it annoying they don't let Ash catch more and evolve more.

Honestly it's perfectly Possible with over 100 episodes to develope characters and Pokemon and still be allowing for more captures and evos.

Kintaro

Banned

Honestly it's perfectly Possible with over 100 episodes to develope characters and Pokemon and still be allowing for more captures and evos.

Because there's an emphasis on treating the Pokemon as part of the main cast along with the humans and developing their personalities. You can't do that with dozens of pokemon. Most of Misty/Brock's pokemon in the OS had no personality with the exception of Psyduck, and that's why they were just there and the pokemon barely did anything memorable. You can count on two fingers everything Brock's Foretress did in the anime for example, lol

Decidueye23

Glad that meltan is already doing more than poipole ever did. The problem with SM is not the amount of Pokemon but how little they actually contribute. Poor torracat hasnt done anything recently except learn fireblast out of nowhere. In the other series even if the quantity was lesser or same, we got to see the pokemon shine.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
And, they're not even letting him catch normal Pokemon anymore.

Yeah that's been another part of the frustration of SM saga. I'm pretty sure too the only reason we got both Rowlet and Listen is they weren't sure which would be more popular.

Because there's an emphasis on treating the Pokemon as part of the main cast along with the humans and developing their personalities. You can't do that with dozens of pokemon. Most of Misty/Brock's pokemon in the OS had no personality with the exception of Psyduck, and that's why they were just there and the pokemon barely did anything memorable. You can count on two fingers everything Brock's Foretress did in the anime for example, lol

I'd argue they could at least due it better than they do. The number of filler episodes that could at least be used to develope..... It's just bad. I agree they don't.... But I think they could better than they do.

Leonhart

Imagineer
paipr_christian said:

In terms of evolution, I think the decision to keep Mokuroh as-is was more due to his marketability than because there was not enough time in which to develop him.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
In terms of evolution, I think the decision to keep Mokuroh as-is was more due to his marketability than because there was not enough time in which to develop him.

That would need to be the reason. Because honestly there has been more than enough time to evolve it if they wanted.

DatsRight

This. I think part of the problem however is that even in personalities, some of the Pokemon are still suffering. I can't really fault Ash's team right now, Torracat and Rowlet aren't THAT bad battle/training wise and their personalities are fine, and Meltan certainly appears to be making up for lost time right now. We've only just got an episode that really does much with Shaymin however, and that's actually probably more development than Tsareena got with Mallow. Others like Snowy, Brionne and Charizard are also pretty bland and don't really get a lot of chemistry time with others. There's thankfully no 'prop' Pokemon per se like some of the OS teams, but some could definitely use a bit of colour.

I'm not really too bothered by the mythical use however, none of the current team members feel too much like shallow promotional ties or an excuse to glorify the protagonists or make them OP. As shown with this week's episode with the three current 'promo' Pokemon who actually struggled against Team Rocket and spent the rest of the episode showing a personality and bond with their trainers and just generally acting like normal fallible Pokemon. It almost feels like SM is humanising the mythical lot a bit so they can make more use of them in later series rather than treating them like pseudo legendaries that are more unapproachable and overpowered.

Last edited:

Zariful

Meltan probably has Harden and Thunder Shock as it’s other two moves. Maybe Thunder Wave. I’d wager when it potentially evolves it could get Double Iron Bash and Thunder Punch. Also this was probably confirmed the other day, but it’s a cute detail that Meltan stays in the bag with Rowlet. Also they played Poipole’s opening song in the recent episode.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I'm still slightly irked by the fact that Mao and Lilie are both caring for Mythical Pokemon, but at least they don't officially own them. Satoshi having Meltan is somewhat excusable since he's at least more experienced than his companions.

DatsRight

I'm still slightly irked by the fact that Mao and Lilie are both caring for Mythical Pokemon, but at least they don't officially own them. Satoshi having Meltan is somewhat excusable since he's at least more experienced than his companions.

I'm kinda liking Shaymin now due to the recent episode, since they're bothering to show an actual bond between it and Mallow. It doesn't really seem that prestigious in treatment right now either. If I didn't know about the games' hierarchies, I'd have thought Shaymin was just a typical timid Pokemon that knows a signature useful move.

Can we at least see Mallow in one proper team battle that isn't TR now though? Don't let Aromatherapy go to waste.

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Glad that meltan is already doing more than poipole ever did. The problem with SM is not the amount of Pokemon but how little they actually contribute. Poor torracat hasnt done anything recently except learn fireblast out of nowhere. In the other series even if the quantity was lesser or same, we got to see the pokemon shine.

And he hasn't even gotten to do anything with Fire Blast yet... quite irritating! At least not many battles happened between Rowlet learning Razor Leaf and his battle with Hau, there have been plenty of opportunites that Torracat could have fought but they give it to Pokemon that have had more than enough focus...

I just wanna see him fight somebody not named Kukui -.-

At least they're small cute legendary Pokemon and not bigger ones, Shaymin fits in quite nicely with Mallow.
If it was something like a Latios/Latias it'd just feel like a way to give them a free power up without working for it. Kiawe's really the only current companion who could get a bigger legendary without feeling forced as it's established he's strong already. Getting a strong Pokemon wouldn't feel like a last minute power-up, though I'd still prefer he got Heatran over something like Moltres or Entei

DatsRight

The series is being oddly roundabout concerning many Pokemon getting to battle. We see several of them getting established boosts and changeups, but then....not getting a proper battle to really test it out. At best they'll face TR or some bad guy that's practically a standing target, but the trainers won't really get to enhance their actual strategy and battle style. Establishing abilities is cool, especially with a downplayed use of 'power of really wanting it' DEM moments as of recently, but you seriously can't have all these guys go into the league without proper battle experience.

I mean Meltan's been here the least time out of everyone and it seems it will already get one proper official battle plus at least a couple of TR's more 'not so harmless' ones. Almost no one besides Kiawe's team has even reached that in what is over 100 episodes for some.

Last edited:

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
After this last episode, I could really see Shaymin staying with Mallow. They've clearly bonded a lot and it seems to care for Mallow. I think we need to get rid of this stigma about legendary pokemon tbh. There's a difference between a Shaymin and something like Dialga. I see no reason why Shaymin can't be captured, especially since it isn't portrayed as some super strong pokemon.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
After this last episode, I could really see Shaymin staying with Mallow. They've clearly bonded a lot and it seems to care for Mallow. I think we need to get rid of this stigma about legendary pokemon tbh. There's a difference between a Shaymin and something like Dialga. I see no reason why Shaymin can't be captured, especially since it isn't portrayed as some super strong pokemon.
Shaymin's first episode makes it clear that it is a temporary Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.