• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sun & Moon Pokémon Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revolver Furious Dragon

Unfortunately the most likely
But considering SM the simple existence of a 6v6 battle isn't too bad of a scenario

Gotta disagree on that. I personally don't consider it likely at all.

Zariful

I think the sixth Pokémon is meant to be a surprise. I could see a scenario where Tapu Koko volunteers to be Kukui’s sixth since the Tapu’s have always been interested in Ash. And it could mirror the games even more where Tapu Koko challenges the protagonist at the end to see how far they’ve come. Though real talk if Ash never uses his own Fire Z with Torracat, what was the point of giving him his own? He used Kukui’s previously

Leonhart

Imagineer
Pokegirl Fan~ said:
Maybe Ash loses before he can even get to Kukui's 6th Pokemon?

That would be irritating since it would be similar to how he lost against Takuto without us ever finding out what his other four Pokemon were. I just want to see Kukui-hakase's full team in some form.

Revolver Furious Dragon

I think the sixth Pokémon is meant to be a surprise. I could see a scenario where Tapu Koko volunteers to be Kukui’s sixth since the Tapu’s have always been interested in Ash. And it could mirror the games even more where Tapu Koko challenges the protagonist at the end to see how far they’ve come. Though real talk if Ash never uses his own Fire Z with Torracat, what was the point of giving him his own? He used Kukui’s previously

That's why I think torracat will use it's z-move vs kukui. Probably to either defeat or draw with incineroar

Lunalah

I do like Incineroar, but if Ash's Torracat evolves during the full battle it would be totally undeserved & cheap. Unlike other fire starters it got really shafted in battles, participated in just one Trial and no Grand Trials, fighted only in Battle Royal and fillers etc.

I don't think it would be cheap, just kinda pointless you know? I hate it when the writers save evolutions for the end of regions instead of them evolving all of Ash's mons by the middle of each series instead.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
If Kukui does use Koko, I really hope it’s planned beforehand and not a Cameron situation where he’s done to his last and suddenly gets someway to keep fighting.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
If Koko's in this match, and that's only an if, then Ash really is either gonna find a way to use 2 Z-moves (Got to get in that Pikashunium-Z somewhere) or Firium-Z really was just a throwaway gift...

Eddieursa

Marsh Trainer
Kukui's team having 3 starters from different Generations and Regions. Ironically, I have been thinking about the same idea for Ash for a time already.

+ Speed Fighters: Sceptile, Greninja and Infernape.
+ Powerhouse Fighters: Torterra, Feraligator (if Totodile evolves) and Charizard.
+ "Medium Size Fighters": Bayleef, Palpitoad and Pignite. (Yes, I know Palpitoad is not a real starter, but he looks like pretty much like one).

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Kukui's team having 3 starters from different Generations and Regions. Ironically, I have been thinking about the same idea for Ash for a time already.

+ Speed Fighters: Sceptile, Greninja and Infernape.
+ Powerhouse Fighters: Torterra, Feraligator (if Totodile evolves) and Charizard.
+ "Medium Size Fighters": Bayleef, Palpitoad and Pignite. (Yes, I know Palpitoad is not a real starter, but he looks like pretty much like one).

I would rather have blastoise if it evolves in powerhouse/fighters than tortera, that thing is anything but a powerhouse with low durability and stmina. And in medium sice instead of palpitoad i would have dewott in case oshowatt evolves, its design suits a fighter.

ShadowForce720

I would rather have blastoise if it evolves in powerhouse/fighters than tortera, that thing is anything but a powerhouse with low durability and stmina. And in medium sice instead of palpitoad i would have dewott in case oshowatt evolves, its design suits a fighter.

Just pointing this out but most of Torterra's loses were more do to Ash making mistakes and refusing to treat it as tank, rather then Torrtera not being strong. Torterra is likely pretty strong it's just it didn't really get a chance to show off. I mean you look at Torterra loses in it's 3 battles it has it breaks down like this:

Volkner: Lost because they didn't because the writers wanted to give Ash's Infernape two wins and didn't want to make Pikachu the fall guy, which basically left Torterra with the short end of the stick since the match was only a 3vs3, and on top of that Torterra had the bad luck of having Electivire know Ice Punch which was quad super-effective against it.

Bertha: To be fair Torterra had a better showing here, however that being said it's important to note that it was up against the ace of an Elite 4 member, so given how strong Elite 4 members tend to be depicted especially at this point it's no surprise that it lost here.

Paul: Lost because they wanted to allow the return Gliscor a win, and wanted Infernape to get 3 wins, and didn't want Pikachu and Buizel to be the fall guys, so Torterra pretty much got the short end of the stick.

Basically if you put Torterra in a battle against a strong trainer where Ash doesn't try to force Torterra to use it's speed and where it doesn't have to be sacrificed to make another pokemon look good, it's pretty likely that Torterra would actually prove to be pretty strong and be able to win.

I mean heck just look what happened to Charizard in Ash's battle against Brandon's Dusclops, one of the reasons why his Charizard wound up losing was because Ash forgot the fact that Ghost type pokemon are immune to Fighting type moves, and told his Charizard to use Seismic Toss(a Fighting type move) against Dusclops(a Ghost type pokemon).

Now all this being said Ash does seem to be getting better at using pokemon that are tanks for instance if you look at his Goodra which had 3 wins, 1 lost, and a draw he never forced Goodra to rely on his speed and instead went more with a strategy that was based around Goodra being able to take hits, however he did wind up relying on Bide a bit too much though.

Now with Melmetal, presuming that Melmetal will probably get a win or 2 in the upcoming battle against Kukui and it was able to almost take down Gladion's Silvally which it managed to weaken enough for Pikachu to one shot. I wouldn't be surprised if his Melmetal winds up be the tank pokemon that he handles the best so far when you compare it to how he handled Goodra and Torterra.

Last edited:

Eddieursa

Marsh Trainer
Just pointing this out but most of Torterra's loses were more do to Ash making mistakes and refusing to treat it as tank, rather then Torrtera not being strong. Torterra is likely pretty strong it's just it didn't really get a chance to show off. I mean you look at Torterra loses in it's 3 battles it has it breaks down like this:

Volkner: Lost because they didn't because the writers wanted to give Ash's Infernape two wins and didn't want to make Pikachu the fall guy, which basically left Torterra with the short end of the stick since the match was only a 3vs3, and on top of that Torterra had the bad luck of having Electivire know Ice Punch which was quad super-effective against it.

Bertha: To be fair Torterra had a better showing here, however that being said it's important to note that it was up against the ace of an Elite 4 member, so given how strong Elite 4 members tend to be depicted especially at this point it's no surprise that it lost here.

Paul: Lost because they wanted to allow the return Gliscor a win, and wanted Infernape to get 3 wins, and didn't want Pikachu and Buizel to be the fall guys, so Torterra pretty much got the short end of the stick.

Basically if you put Torterra in a battle against a strong trainer where Ash doesn't try to force Torterra to use it's speed and where it doesn't have to be sacrificed to make another pokemon look good, it's pretty likely that Torterra would actually prove to be pretty strong and be able to win.

You just read my mind, pal.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!

I mean heck just look what happened to Charizard in Ash's battle against Brandon's Dusclops, one of the reasons why his Charizard wound up losing was because Ash forgot the fact that Ghost type pokemon are immune to Fighting type moves, and told his Charizard to use Seismic Toss(a Fighting type move) against Dusclops(a Ghost type pokemon).

Now all this being said Ash does seem to be getting better at using pokemon that are tanks for instance if you look at his Goodra which had 1 win, 1 lost, and a draw he never forced Goodra to rely on his speed and instead went more with a strategy that was based around Goodra being able to take hits, however he did wind up relying on Bide a bit too much though.

Now with Melmetal, presuming that Melmetal will probably get a win or 2 in the upcoming battle against Kukui and it was able to almost take down Gladion's Silvally which it managed to weaken enough for Pikachu to one shot. I wouldn't be surprised if his Melmetal winds up be the tank pokemon that he handles the best so far when you compare it to how he handled Goodra and Torterra.
Goodra had 3 wins (Wartortle/Raichu, Luxray, Florges)

Almighty Zard

He has returned.

Basically if you put Torterra in a battle against a strong trainer where Ash doesn't try to force Torterra to use it's speed and where it doesn't have to be sacrificed to make another pokemon look good, it's pretty likely that Torterra would actually prove to be pretty strong and be able to win..

There are two simple words for why Torterra failed so hard in these fights.

Rock Climb.

Seriously, what was the point of having Paul's Torterra show it a defensive fighting style, that did work as a Grotle, but then throw it all out the window in an attempt to restore mobility with a move that ended up being responsible for all of it's losses as Torterra? Since it gave it's opponents the high ground, and thus the advantage.

You can't blame the other pokemon, it's not their fault the writers couldn't seemingly make up their mind about how to use Torterra in battle.

ShadowForce720

Rock Climb.

Seriously, what was the point of having Paul's Torterra show it a defensive fighting style, that did work as a Grotle, but then throw it all out the window in an attempt to restore mobility with a move that ended up being responsible for all of it's losses as Torterra? Since it gave it's opponents the high ground, and thus the advantage.

You can't blame the other pokemon, it's not their fault the writers couldn't seemingly make up their mind about how to use Torterra in battle.

I'm not blaming the other pokemon, because you can't really get into why Torterra didn't get really any wins as a Torterra without touching on how the writers divided up the wins among pokemon, and other factors. Sure Rock Climb was part of the problem but that wasn't the only part, as you still had a case where Ash didn't seem to understand that Torterra was a tank and not a pokemon that relies on it's speed. Not only that if I recalled someone specifically mentioned to him that before having his pokemon use Synthesis that he should make sure to find a way to disable the opponent so that it can't interfere and yet, he just seems to completely ignore that using Synthesis in a Sandstorm against Palmer when Grotle was in a disadvantageous situation and then again using it when Paul's Drapion was free to attack.

I mean heck how was Torterra supposed to get a win against Volkner if the battle was a 3vs3 and Inferape had to get 2 wins and Pikachu had to get 1 win. So in that situation Torterra was pretty much screwed regardless of what it's move set was, sure having Rock Climb didn't help but even if it didn't have Rock Climb that was going to really change Torterra losing that match because the writers didn't Pikachu to be the fall guy in that battle and wanted Infernape to have 2 two wins.

I mean heck if you back to Ash's 4vs4 battle against Brandon the writers had Ash forgetting that Fighting type attacks don't work on Ghost type pokemon which wound up costing Charizard the battle, and result in a situation where Bulbasaur got a win and a draw, Squirtle got a 1 and a lost, while Pikachu got a win.

Last edited:

Zariful

I don’t know how I feel about the they wanted this Pokémon to not be fall guys as a point. Cause then you can use that for anyone. They wanted Pikachu and Pignite to get two wins, that’s why Oshawott, Boldore, Unfezant and Snivy didn’t get wins. I feel like the point should be it was bad writing and they didn’t properly showcase everyone/equally distribute the wins. Man only Pikachu, Pignite, Krookodile and Scraggy had onscreen victories that league. If Ash does a champion league, his unova and kalos mons need redemption. And yes I still consider Goodra his considering there’s a caretaker he can call.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools

Rock Climb.

Torterr didn't failed in battles only due to the rock climb, it failed also because for a tanky pokemon it had awful stamina and endurance as well, it was oneshotted by electivire's ice puch, two shotted by paul's drapion (which it has type advantage with), its only good performance was against bertha where she was more like testing ash rather than full out from the start not to mention its movesets sucked big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.