• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sun & Moon Pokémon Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Everything12

Eh, while Drampa is possible it seems to me he would be more likely to get Kommo-o and Oranguru IMO is a Pokemon thats more useful in double battle which Ash rarely does I think its more likely he would get Passimian. Also Decidueye can fly check its Z-Move.

desdar300

Rowlet is the regional bird so it'll evolve regardless and Litten is clearly the "Ace" of this region which speaks for itself.
People tend to bring up that the Unova Starters didn't evolve fully but none of them were ever popular in any give part of the world.
The Alolan Starters are by far the most popular set of Starters since the Gen 4 ones.
I have faith that they'll be handled well.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Rowlet is the regional bird so it'll evolve regardless and Litten is clearly the "Ace" of this region which speaks for itself.
People tend to bring up that the Unova Starters didn't evolve fully but none of them were ever popular in any give part of the world.
The Alolan Starters are by far the most popular set of Starters since the Gen 4 ones.
I have faith that they'll be handled well.
And Popplio better evolve all the way, or I'll be a sad panda

I wouldn't bring up patterns to justify Rowlet evolving TBH. Ash also had the Grass starter in every region until XY, after all. There's nothing saying the writers can't break the "bird always evolves all the way" rule in this saga, too. I still think it will, don't get me wrong, just for different reasons.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Actually most of the comic relief your talking about when referring to Rowlet, is going by the poke dex entries something that all Rowlets do, and as for the whole thing with Steenee, keep in mind that it's clearly been shown that Sweet Scent does attract other pokemon, so it's not that unusual for one pokemon like Rowlet for example to attack Steenee when Sweet Scent goes off, also another thing in regards to people trying to say that Piplup/Oshawott/Chespin of this generation is that unlike them Rowlet is not really stealing or hogging any attention and the whole Steenee thing doesn't happen every single episode,

for instance we've only seen that Rowlet attack Steenee/Bounsweet in 3 out of 22 episodes, so when you really stop and think about it that gag hasn't been used a lot, nor does Rowlet being comic relief really happen in every single episode where as if you look at Piplup/Oshawott/Chespin them being comedic relief happened a lot more often. Also another thing to consider is the fact that even if Rowlet is used for comic relief that wouldn't stop it from evolving all the way to Decidueye because if you read the Rowlet's line's dex entries you would know that they each have a quirk about them that can be used for comic relief./QUOTE]

I'm not saying I think Rowlet is there yet, but he could head that way if they do keep persue the comic relief with him. Let's be fair, Piplup wasn't fighting for screen attention at first, I'd say it took a while for Piplup to fill the role, I think we saw glimmers of comic relief from time to time, like in its first episode, then again when it tried mastering Bubblebeam, then after that, as it gradually appeared more, it started becoming the comic relief, the thing that separates Piplup from Oshawott and Chespin, is that, it was actually serious at times, and shown to be competent. Whereas Oshawott and Chespin from the start were comic reliefs, Oshawott showed it right away when trying to get Trip's attention, then being absolutely gutted when it wasn't selected, and it was shown as the comic relief right away, same with Chespin and its food stealing in its first episode.

Which is why, I could see Rowlet going down the road, in a similar manner to Piplup, the writers may see how the response of Rowlet when its being the comic relief and then decide, if its working, then to go for it. Rowlet, like Piplup, showed glimmers of comic relief in its first episode, Piplup did it by fighting with Chimchar, whilst Rowlet did it by bringing the bell chime to the nest thinking it was food, trying to attack Bounsweet over and over again.

Its got time to develop into the comic relief like Piplup did, but like I said in my first post, considering Decidueye's popularity, it would be silly to not jump at the opportunity to evolve it. True that it has quirks which could be used as a comic relief, but how many pokemon evolve, and are still used as a promotable comic relief?

desdar300

And Popplio better evolve all the way, or I'll be a sad panda

I wouldn't bring up patterns to justify Rowlet evolving TBH. Ash also had the Grass starter in every region until XY, after all. There's nothing saying the writers can't break the "bird always evolves all the way" rule in this saga, too. I still think it will, don't get me wrong, just for different
reasons.
It'd be one big missed opportunity since Primarina's Z-move is just one massive bubble.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
It'd be one big missed opportunity since Primarina's Z-move is just one massive bubble.
It'd be one big missed opportunity because they'd be neglecting the queen of the Alola region.

Lana can't use Z-Moves, though.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
It'd be one big missed opportunity because they'd be neglecting the queen of the Alola region.
I thought that Lillie was the queen of the Alola region.

As for Ash catching Drampa, I wouldn't mind seeing Falkor on his team (although I've personally had enough of Dragons for the time being), maybe having the luck dragon will be good for him. :D

dp045

Mmm ... believe as in the previous generation the starters of the group stayed in the most popular and attractive stage of their evolutionary line (Chespin, Braixen and Greninja) Do you think the same thing happens in SM? I mean, if we know how popular each evolution of starters is, we might know just how far Rowlet, Litten, and Popplio might get. Although I understand that Rowlet is the most popular of its evolutionary line ... I do not know, can someone confirm it?

desdar300

Mmm ... believe as in the previous generation the starters of the group stayed in the most popular and attractive stage of their evolutionary line (Chespin, Braixen and Greninja) Do you think the same thing happens in SM? I mean, if we know how popular each evolution of starters is, we might know just how far Rowlet, Litten, and Popplio might get. Although I understand that Rowlet is the most popular of its evolutionary line ... I do not know, can someone confirm it?
Rowlet is one of the few Starters that stayed popular throughout its evolutionary run since Decidueye was the most well received out the Final evos when they leaked back in July.
Litten was close behind but after people * Assumed* that his leaked final evo was going to be another Fire\Fighting, folks jumped ship however when it was revealed that Incineroar was Fire\DARK his reception flew upward.
Popplio was the least popular of the bunch but Primarina elevated its popularity. ( Japan loves Mermaids.).

ShadowForce720

No where have I heard anything about Rowlet being the most popular stage in the Rowlet line, now Rowlet is the most popular out of the basic stage Alolan starters, and Decidueye is the most popular of the final evolutions of the Alolan starters while Incineroar(at least in Japan) is the least popular, but as far as from what it seems, it seems like it maybe the case where the final evolutions of the Alolan starters are the most popular stage of those starters.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
The writers have given Litten more backstory than Rowlet, obviously with the touching subplot of Stoutland and a mini character development arc before Litten's capture, but given the fact that Decidueye is more popular in Japan than Incineroar, plus it being the more typical badass starter, more of a speedy lightning bruiser that Ash's regional aces usually are, it won't be too surprising if Rowlet fully evolves into Decidueye and becomes the ace.

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
Actually most of the comic relief your talking about when referring to Rowlet, is going by the poke dex entries something that all Rowlets do, and as for the whole thing with Steenee, keep in mind that it's clearly been shown that Sweet Scent does attract other pokemon, so it's not that unusual for one pokemon like Rowlet for example to attack Steenee when Sweet Scent goes off, also another thing in regards to people trying to say that Piplup/Oshawott/Chespin of this generation is that unlike them Rowlet is not really stealing or hogging any attention and the whole Steenee thing doesn't happen every single episode,

for instance we've only seen that Rowlet attack Steenee/Bounsweet in 3 out of 22 episodes, so when you really stop and think about it that gag hasn't been used a lot, nor does Rowlet being comic relief really happen in every single episode where as if you look at Piplup/Oshawott/Chespin them being comedic relief happened a lot more often. Also another thing to consider is the fact that even if Rowlet is used for comic relief that wouldn't stop it from evolving all the way to Decidueye because if you read the Rowlet's line's dex entries you would know that they each have a quirk about them that can be used for comic relief./QUOTE]

I'm not saying I think Rowlet is there yet, but he could head that way if they do keep persue the comic relief with him. Let's be fair, Piplup wasn't fighting for screen attention at first, I'd say it took a while for Piplup to fill the role, I think we saw glimmers of comic relief from time to time, like in its first episode, then again when it tried mastering Bubblebeam, then after that, as it gradually appeared more, it started becoming the comic relief, the thing that separates Piplup from Oshawott and Chespin, is that, it was actually serious at times, and shown to be competent. Whereas Oshawott and Chespin from the start were comic reliefs, Oshawott showed it right away when trying to get Trip's attention, then being absolutely gutted when it wasn't selected, and it was shown as the comic relief right away, same with Chespin and its food stealing in its first episode.

Which is why, I could see Rowlet going down the road, in a similar manner to Piplup, the writers may see how the response of Rowlet when its being the comic relief and then decide, if its working, then to go for it. Rowlet, like Piplup, showed glimmers of comic relief in its first episode, Piplup did it by fighting with Chimchar, whilst Rowlet did it by bringing the bell chime to the nest thinking it was food, trying to attack Bounsweet over and over again.

Its got time to develop into the comic relief like Piplup did, but like I said in my first post, considering Decidueye's popularity, it would be silly to not jump at the opportunity to evolve it. True that it has quirks which could be used as a comic relief, but how many pokemon evolve, and are still used as a promotable comic relief?

Don't forget, piplup was given a chance to evolve which it denied and preferred to stay at its base form. I don't think if rowlet is given a chance to evolve, it will deny that.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
The writers have given Litten more backstory than Rowlet, obviously with the touching subplot of Stoutland and a mini character development arc before Litten's capture, but given the fact that Decidueye is more popular in Japan than Incineroar, plus it being the more typical badass starter, more of a speedy lightning bruiser that Ash's regional aces usually are, it won't be too surprising if Rowlet fully evolves into Decidueye and becomes the ace.

Is popularity a factor why so many of his starter Pokemon didn't evolve, even when there wasn't a story reason to do so like Bulbasaur's complex?

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Is popularity a factor why so many of his starter Pokemon didn't evolve, even when there wasn't a story reason to do so like Bulbasaur's complex?

Charizard, Sceptile, Infernape, Torterra, Greninja- all of these are fully evolved. Half evolved- Bayleef, Quilava(evolved quite late), Pignite. Not evolved- Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Totodile, Oshawott, Snivy. So five fully evolved, 3 half evolved, 5 not evolved. So you can't say that many of his starter Pokemon didn't evolve.

nickdt

Charizard, Sceptile, Infernape, Torterra, Greninja- all of these are fully evolved. Half evolved- Bayleef, Quilava(evolved quite late), Pignite. Not evolved- Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Totodile, Oshawott, Snivy. So five fully evolved, 3 half evolved, 5 not evolved. So you can't say that many of his starter Pokemon didn't evolve.

RedJirachi talked about Popularity being a factor for a starter not evolving and yes... thats the case. The evolved forms are more popular than their first form and in the case of Bayleef, Quilava and Pignite, their second form is the most popular and the starters that did not evolve are more popular in their base form. Same applies for Litten. Torracat is more popular than Incineroar, while both Decideueye and Primarina are the most popular from their line.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
RedJirachi talked about Popularity being a factor for a starter not evolving and yes... thats the case. The evolved forms are more popular than their first form and in the case of Bayleef, Quilava and Pignite, their second form is the most popular and the starters that did not evolve are more popular in their base form. Same applies for Litten. Torracat is more popular than Incineroar, while both Decideueye and Primarina are the most popular from their line.

Maybe, but sometimes there are other factors. Charizard, Sceptile, Infernape, Greninja- all very popular in their fully evolved form. But regarding Torterra there were some other factors, there were not much reason for Ash's Turtwig to fully evolve, especially when Ash's rival Paul had had a Torterra as his starter Pokemon. But the writers took an unpredictable way- Ash's Turtwig fully evolved and Paul's Torterra got shafted later on. Electivire later on became more of an ace for Paul later on(it was portrayed like that in the Sinnoh League), because of the fact that Ash had a Torterra.

So unpredictable things can happen. Despite Torracat being more popular than Incineroar, Litten can fully evolve, similarly how Turtwig fully evolved despite Ash's rival having a Torterra as his starter Pokemon. Maybe Litten will be a Torracat for majority of the series and evolve very late, thus Torracat being more showcased.

desdar300

Idk, Typhlosion is way more popular than Quilava or Cyndiquil whereas Pignite was dead on arrival after people saw what its secondary typing was.
If I recall; there was an infamous Pokebeach interview where one of the main producers said that the reason Piplup didn't evolve was because the staff thought that its evos were far to ugly to be marketed towards girls so they kept it the way it was.
I'm not sure what that means going forward but I wager that they try to predict what the overall reception of a Pokémon will be if it evolves or joins the main cast.
Provided that's the case then they'll likely take Litten all the way because his line is based on Tiger Mask and Japan LOVES Tiger Mask.
He's right up there with Dragons, Ninjas, and Goku which allows them to milk and hype ride off of something.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Popularity in Japan is a factor, but it's not the only thing that matters. There is simply no way Pignite is more popular than Tepig or Emboar. That thing was basically **** on when those starters were leaked. On the flip side, I would think Dewott and Grovyle were more popular than Oshawott and Sceptile respectively yet Ash didn't end up with either of those. Marshtomp isn't very popular either, and that's what Brock ended up with.

I bring up Japan, though, because in Japan, Rowlet is actually the most popular in its evolution line. Awhile back, someone posted the sales figures for starter merchandise, and Rowlet was selling really well.

Everything12

Personally, while I think popularity is a factor of who evolves into who I think that you people are putting to much weight on it deciding on who evolves, same with patterns they only exist as long as the anime staff want the patterns to exist and can be dropped at any time.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
i really hope Ash gets Drampa. Drampa can even fly and I bet he'll be a lot more agile than what it's pokemon summary leads it to be with a ~36 base speed, and with an interesting style, I could see Ash utilize it too. I'd rather Drampa then Komo-o personally only because Komo-o is the regional psuedo and I like when Ash is strong with pokemon that aren't NATURALLY strong if you know what i mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.