• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sun & Moon Pokémon Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
It's not just a matter of how much spotlight and screentime Rowlet gets and how many battles it'll participate in, but also how many episodes will focus on character developing the grass owl. Since Rowlet is a starter Pokemon, it's very likely that's going to get a fair amount of episodes dedicated to the owl, but there hasn't been any since its capture. The same goes for Litten and Rockruff. To be honest, Litten has more development than both Rowlet and Rockruff. I'm not saying that Litten is going to evolve before Rowlet and Rockruff, but right now, Litten shows more potential to evolve at the moment.

I don't think Litten has more chances of evolving than Rowlet at this point. It has just been caught, and though it has had quite some development, I highly doubt it will evolve without getting any good battles. I understand your point that Rowlet hasn't had many episodes focusing on it, but on the flip side, it has been a screenhogger to an extent in many episodes, being part of some funny gags, because of its comical quirky personality. It has also got a fair amount of battles- 1 Totem battle+1 Kahuna battle as a Rowlet. So I think, it probably has the best chance of evolving among Ash's team at this point.

Last edited:

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I don't think there's going to be a team change for Ash anytime soon. He's got three captures already, why not develop them before rushing another capture? Starters never evolve early, so I'm not expecting either Rowlet or Lutten to evolve anytime soon. While one should never argue "because patterns" to explain why something should or shouldn't happen, this us one I don't expect to be broken anytime soon because of marketability. I don't expect any of the starters to evolve until the anime is at least a year in. And Rockruff is probably still a ways off, too, because it needes help learning the most basic Rock type move out there and therefore probably doesn't have a lot of battle experience.

For PokeFan, literally anything else for focus is possible, but I think the most likely options are the Akala Trials or Plumeria if she's making an appearance in SM25.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Maybe it's just me but currently, it seems like the motif on Ash's team are mostly pets: Mouse/hamster/rodent (Pikachu), cat (Litten), dog (Rockruff) and bird (Rowlett). It's missing a fish and a bug but since Wishiwashi wouldn't fit much (wouldn't be able to battle outside water and historically, the show tend to make fish-esque pokémon act only on water) and Poplio and Mareanie are taken already, that leaves us with Dewpider and Wimpod. For that, I think Wimpod would be the most interesting addition. The ability and "cowardly guy" gimmick would work with the series' comedic tone and Ash having pokémon that started off a bit cowardly/weak had been done in the past.

Maybe that Wimpod Ash had helped on the "bonding moment" episode could show up again. It returning to thank Ash made me feel the episode might not be the last time we see it.

Jangmo-o could be the final wildcard even if it doesn't fit the "pet theme" I was talking about (although one could place him as the "weird/unusual pet" category since there are people who have snakes as pets). Also, it's a freaking fighting dragon. That screams "Ash Pokémon".

Although for that reason, it's more likely Ash won't have it lol

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Jangmo-o could be a lizard, since people tend to keep lizards as pets.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I really don't think that Ash will get Wimpod because it's Guzma's ace, and they might associate it with "evil" because of this.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
That debate's gotten old, not even going to try that anymore. Most people saying that are just biased towards Aquaranid for Ash anyways, which is Lana's ace in the game and something SHE should get as it suits her more than it does Ash. Wimpod suits Ash and would have great interactions

Yes, some of us do.
I didn't even realize all the Pokemon I see him getting actually fit that pet thing.... Sandslash, Jangmo-o, and Wimpod

Janovy

Banned
I don't want Ash to get the boring bug, I want him to get the interesting bug.

So Wimpod for Ash please. I mean they have already set up some cute interactions!!!

ShadowForce720

I don't want Ash to get the boring bug, I want him to get the interesting bug.

So Wimpod for Ash please. I mean they have already set up some cute interactions!!!

um look just because you may not like Dewpider does not automatically make it boring, plus none of the gen 7 non-ultra beast bug types are really boring we got 3 of them that basically look pretty badass being Vikavolt, Araquanid, and Golisopod, while Ribombee has the whole cute factor going for it.

Janovy

Banned
um look just because you may not like Dewpider does not automatically make it boring, plus none of the gen 7 non-ultra beast bug types are really boring we got 3 of them that basically look pretty badass being Vikavolt, Araquanid, and Golisopod, while Ribombee has the whole cute factor going for it.
Well I find it boring with an unappealing design and I dont consider it a good fit for Ash.

ShadowForce720

Well I find it boring with an unappealing design and I dont consider it a good fit for Ash.

and some people would say the same thing about Golisopod, either way saying that a pokemon fits Ash or doesn't fit Ash doesn't have any effect on whether or not Ash gets the pokemon.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
and some people would say the same thing about Golisopod, either way saying that a pokemon fits Ash or doesn't fit Ash doesn't have any effect on whether or not Ash gets the pokemon.

I do gotta say that Dewpider's body structure could catch Lana's eye due to how bubble based it is, and she seems to be obsessed with bubbles.

Of course she's partially responsible for this mess, with her owning Popplio and it getting tons of focus with her, Ash sure as heck ain't getting it, and none of the other Alola water pokemon are land combat capable besides Wimipod and dewpider.

thus why people fight over the two.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I don't see how Guzma having a Golisopod rules out Ash having a Wimpod. I mean, Paul having a Gliscor and a Torterra didn't stop Ash of having those as well. If anything, it could set up a rivalry of sorts.

Good catch. Forgot about that detail.

ShadowForce720

I don't see how Guzma having a Golisopod rules out Ash having a Wimpod. I mean, Paul having a Gliscor and a Torterra didn't stop Ash of having those as well. If anything, it could set up a rivalry of sorts.

Good catch. Forgot about that detail.

Except that's not the same situation, as Paul was a rival and the moment Ash's Gligar and Grotle evolved into Gliscor and Torterra respectively we stopped seeing the ones Paul owned, same case with Alexa's Noivern and Sanpei himself just completely stopped showing up after Ash had a Greninja. In fact if you look at it in a lot of the cases that you would try to point out it tends to be a case where once a character on the main cast gets a pokemon the other characters don't really show off that pokemon any more.

The thing with Guzma is he's the head of Team Skull and would be actively using a Golisopod, now while it's possible that both him and Ash could have a Golisopod at the same time and while having a rivalry would be nice, chances are what will probably wind up happening instead is if Ash gets a Wimpod the writers wind up waiting for Guzma to no longer be relevant and stop showing up and then wind up evolving Ash's Wimpod. Plus there is always the chance that if both Ash and Guzma had a Golisopod that one of the 2 Golisopods wind up getting shafted in favor of the other.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
^that would narrow it down to Dewpider and if Ash didn't catch it, he'd have no choice but to get wimipod if the writers want him with a water type this time.

Maybe they could make Guzma's shiny, as much as I don't like the idea it would make the different.

This water situation is one of the reasons I'm glad Ash didn't get a grass type in Kalos, narrowing down the options makes it too obvious to get one just for the sake of keeping a pattern going.

Last edited:

ShadowForce720

Almighty Zard;18380328[B said:
]^that would narrow it down to Dewpider and if Ash didn't catch it, he'd have no choice but to get wimipod if the writers want him with a water type this time.
[/B]
Maybe they could make Guzma's shiny, as much as I don't like the idea it would make the different.

Actually if the D&P remakes come out this generation then they wouldn't really have to give Ash a Wimpod if he doesn't catch Dewpider if they wanted Ash to have a Water type since they could just have him catch a Shellos, Bidoof, Piplup, or bring back Buizel, so they would have options if they wanted to give Ash a Water type pokemon this time but didn't want to give him a Dewpider or Wimpod.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
That debate's gotten old, not even going to try that anymore. Most people saying that are just biased towards Aquaranid for Ash anyways, which is Lana's ace in the game and something SHE should get as it suits her more than it does Ash. Wimpod suits Ash and would have great interactions
Vikavolt is Sophocles's ace in the games. Vikavolt should be HIS Pokemon and not Ash's, opening be damned. Where Sophocles's Grubbin/Charjabug then? Or better yet, where's Kiawe's Alolan Marowak? He's an experienced Trainer, there's no reason for him to have Turtonator instead of Alolan Marowak. And it is capable of using Inferno Overdrive, so don't even bring up that argument. They can and have changed characters' teams.

I say people just don't want Araquanid for the same reason some favor Midnight Lycanroc over Midday: it's viewed as the safe, "good guy" option where Golisopod is the riskier "bad guy" option. One is kindhearted, the other vicious. I think otherwise. I actually see Golisopod as the "safe" option as far as battle style goes. It's bipedal, it has a large movepool, and it would be easier for Ash to work with once it evolves. Araquanid's movepool is more limited, and it has an unusual body shape. It would be something completely new for Ash, and I'd almost rather see what Ash can do with Araquanid.

That being said, I also prefer Golisopod's deaign over Araquanid, so whichever one he gets makes no difference to me (if he does get one). If it's Araquanid, it's a more unusual Pokemon, and my prediction is correct. If it's Golisopod, it's the one with the design I prefer.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Except that's not the same situation, as Paul was a rival and the moment Ash's Gligar and Grotle evolved into Gliscor and Torterra respectively we stopped seeing the ones Paul owned, same case with Alexa's Noivern and Sanpei himself just completely stopped showing up after Ash had a Greninja. In fact if you look at it in a lot of the cases that you would try to point out it tends to be a case where once a character on the main cast gets a pokemon the other characters don't really show off that pokemon any more.

The thing with Guzma is he's the head of Team Skull and would be actively using a Golisopod, now while it's possible that both him and Ash could have a Golisopod at the same time and while having a rivalry would be nice, chances are what will probably wind up happening instead is if Ash gets a Wimpod the writers wind up waiting for Guzma to no longer be relevant and stop showing up and then wind up evolving Ash's Wimpod. Plus there is always the chance that if both Ash and Guzma had a Golisopod that one of the 2 Golisopods wind up getting shafted in favor of the other.

But you're assuming an evolution would be certain if Ash catch it. But that might not be the case. It's not like Kalos where he's evolved everyone who could evolve and weren't named "Pikachu". It can stay the way it is. The show loves the trope of having the base form beating the fully evolved one.

Also, that's all assuming they'll make a big deal out of Guzma which might not be the case here. Just see what kind of role Team Plasma had in BW. It took then reaching the Episode N for it actually meaning something.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Also, that's all assuming they'll make a big deal out of Guzma which might not be the case here. Just see what kind of role Team Plasma had in BW. It took then reaching the Episode N for it actually meaning something.

that was cause a natural disaster caused plasma's debut to be canceled and them to effectively be put on the back burner for a long time.

Since Team Skull has already shown up a few times I doubt we'll have to wait on getting some action out of them.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
But you're assuming an evolution would be certain if Ash catch it. But that might not be the case. It's not like Kalos where he's evolved everyone who could evolve and weren't named "Pikachu". It can stay the way it is. The show loves the trope of having the base form beating the fully evolved one.

Well, they'd almost have to evolve Wimpod as it's like Magikarp or Bounsweet: a naturally weak Pokemon that just can't do much in battle.

Also, if Ash were to get Wimpod, it would either have to evolve almost immediately after capture or somehow know Scald or else it wouldn't be able to use Hydro Vortex.

ShadowForce720

Except the problem is Wimpod's move pool.
Well here is Wimpod's move pool:

Moves learned through level up:
Struggle Bug(Bug)
Sand Attack(Ground)

Moves learned through TM's:
Toxic(Poison)
Hail(Ice)
Hidden Power(Normal)
Taunt(Dark)
Protect(Normal)
Rain Dance(Water)
Frustration(Normal)
Return(Normal)
Leech Life(Bug)
Double Team(Normal)
Façade(Normal)
Rest(Psychic)
Attract(Normal)
Round(Normal)
Scald(Water)
Swagger(Normal)
Sleep Talk(Normal)
Substitute(Normal)
Surf(Water)
Waterfall(Water)
Confide(Normal)

Egg Moves:
Spikes(Ground)
Metal Claw(Steel)
Wide Guard(Rock)
Harden(Normal)
Aqua Jet(Water)

the fact of the matter is it's arguably in a worse situation then Bounsweet and before you say that oh well they could just give it tm moves or egg moves, the problem with that is while we have seen pokemon us tm moves and egg moves before they generally don't have both and don't have 2 egg moves or 2 tm moves on their move set. Now if you look at the moves Wimpod gains by evolving then you will notice it benefits a lot from evolving. The point is if Ash gets a Wimpod it's safe to say that it's most likely will evolve as the positives for it evolving into Golisopod outweigh the negatives for it evolving into Golisopod.

Status
Not open for further replies.