• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sun & Moon Pokémon Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
There is always the Z move for Incineroar which powers up a dark type move. That could be the substitute for the Dark z crystal

Yes, exactly! Who cares about Blackhole Eclipse? Mallicious Moonsault!

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I think we can. I highly doubt TR and Ash are both going to use Blackhole Eclipse.
But then that begs the question of what Nanu is going to give Ash when Ash passes his Grand Trial, unless the writers are going to have Nanu reward Ash with a different Z-Crystal. (Perhaps Nanu rewards Ash with Incinium-Z instead of Darkium-Z. That could be interesting.)

Question is did Olivia give Kiawe the Rockium-Z when he beat her?
Kiawe battled Olivia to prove he was worthy of his grandfather's Firium-Z and Z-Ring. I don't think Kiawe has ever stated whether or not he is participating in the Island Challenge, but I'm inclined to think not, and his battle with Olivia was a special case. That doesn't affect with what Olivia will reward Ash when he passes her Grand Trial.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
So can we rule out the Dark Z crystal for Ash then? I'm sure TR will find a Z ring eventually
I think it depends in whether or not Ash has Incineroar by the time he faces Nanu. If so, then yes. If he has Incineroar, there's a chance he'll have the Incinium-Z, as well. And if he doesn't, well, they can't drag it out that much longer. With the Incinium-Z, Ash has no need for the Darkinium-Z because it would add nothing other than another Z-Move for his prospective Lycanroc to use. I think, most likely, Nanu will just give him a Z-Crystal of a different type.

I'm a little curious about Lana, as well. The fact that she seemed so interested in learning the Water Z-Move dance makes me think she's going to be the one to show off Hydro Vortex. If she is, then that eliminates the need for Ash to catch a Water Type.

Only question is how is she going to earn a Waterium-Z? Popplio would probably get completely curbstomped by Totem Wishiwashi, yet I can't see it evolving anytime soon, and the Water Trial is next.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
I think it depends in whether or not Ash has Incineroar by the time he faces Nanu. If so, then yes. If he has Incineroar, there's a chance he'll have the Incinium-Z, as well. And if he doesn't, well, they can't drag it out that much longer. With the Incinium-Z, Ash has no need for the Darkinium-Z because it would add nothing other than another Z-Move for his prospective Lycanroc to use. I think, most likely, Nanu will just give him a Z-Crystal of a different type.

I'm a little curious about Lana, as well. The fact that she seemed so interested in learning the Water Z-Move dance makes me think she's going to be the one to show off Hydro Vortex. If she is, then that eliminates the need for Ash to catch a Water Type.

Only question is how is she going to earn a Waterium-Z? Popplio would probably get completely curbstomped by Totem Wishiwashi, yet I can't see it evolving anytime soon, and the Water Trial is next.

Well since its Ash's aim to complete all the trials, maybe he'll defeat totem Wishiwashi and then gives the Waterium Z to Lana as he feels that she can make better use of it.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Well since its Ash's aim to complete all the trials, maybe he'll defeat totem Wishiwashi and then gives the Waterium Z to Lana as he feels that she can make better use of it.

it'd be interesting if Ash defeated totem wishiwashi, and then since Lana notices he doesn't have water pokemon, she challenges him to a battle with it. Or something along those lines. I hope Lana has to battle for it either way whatever happens.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
That was my initial thought as well, but then she woudn't be earning it. It would feel a little cheap if she was just handed the key to a super powerful move without having done anything to earn it, don't you think? It would be Iris's Dragonite all over again. Besides, isn't completion of the designated Trial required to use a Z-Crystal, otherwise it would just break like the Electrium-Z?

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
That was my initial thought as well, but then she woudn't be earning it. It would feel a little cheap if she was just handed the key to a super powerful move without having done anything to earn it, don't you think? It would be Iris's Dragonite all over again. Besides, isn't completion of the designated Trial required to use a Z-Crystal, otherwise it would just break like the Electrium-Z?

Yeah but honestly I don't think Lana should do the trial. The trials are for Ash to do, and for anyone else to do a trial is equivalent to ash's companion having a gym battle instead of him. So it's quite tricky to predict as to weather Ash will have a Waterium Z or will Lana use it, and if so, how

Last edited:

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Why can't they both do the Trial? That would be no different from having Ash and one of his companions do a Gym Battle, which isn't anything new for the series. Aah and Dawn both battled Maylene, and Ash and Cilan both battled Skyla, after all.

Here's my unintentionally shippy idea:

First, Lana battles Totem Wishiwashi with Popplio and gets completely curbstomped. In the next episode, Ash battles Totem Wishiwashi and wins (perhaps he notices something while Lana was battling and improvises a strategy the way he always does). After being awarded the Water Z-Crystal, Ash gives the Waterium-Z to Lana thinking she would be able to make better use of it than he could. However, Lana either can't use it or knows it would break if she tried (she was there when Ash's first Electrium-Z broke), so the Waterium-Z becomes a Chekhov's Gun of sorts. Eventually, Popplio evolves into Brionne. Lana decides to challenge Totem Wishiwashi again. Brionne narrowly wins, and she is deemed worthy of using the Waterium-Z.

I suppose another, far simoler option would be the "pity badge" route where Lana saves Totem Wishiwashi from TR or something, and she is deemed worthy that way, but I still feel that would be a little cheap, and I'd rather see her earn it by battle.

johno1995

Why can't they both do the Trial? That would be no different from having Ash and one of his companions do a Gym Battle, which isn't anything new for the series. Aah and Dawn both battled Maylene, and Ash and Cilan both battled Skyla, after all.

First, Lana battles Totem Wishiwashi with Popplio and gets completely curbstomped. In the next episode, Ash battles Totem Wishiwashi and wins (perhaps he notices something while Lana was battling and improvises a strategy the way he always does). After being awarded the Water Z-Crystal, Ash gives the Waterium-Z to Lana thinking she would be able to make better use of it than he could. However, Lana either can't use it or knows it would break if she tried (she was there when Ash's first Electrium-Z broke), so the Waterium-Z becomes a Chekhov's Gun of sorts. Eventually, Popplio evolves into Brionne. Lana decides to challenge Totem Wishiwashi again. Brionne narrowly wins, and she is deemed worthy of using the Waterium-Z.

I suppose another, far simoler option would be the "pity badge" route where Lana saves Totem Wishiwashi from TR or something, and she is deemed worthy that way, but I still feel that would be a little cheap, and I'd rather see her earn it by battle.

I really like this idea and would throw back to Dawns gym battle as well as Cilan's. It would give her and Popplio (a starter) more relevance as well. I'd eventually like to see all of them utilize Z-Moves, so we can see each of them in action. Sophocles can use Steelium-Z, Kiawe of course has Fire but can also utilize Ghost if he gets Alolan Marowak, and depending on her team we can see Mallow with Grassium or Buginiu-Z or Fairinum-Z (Cutiefly?).

Frozocrone

Miraculous!

I want to see her earn it in battle but I'm not too keen on evolving just to beat Wishiwashi since it's been done before. I'd personally want Popplio to evolve after the battle (although two rewards could be cheap, I feel evolving represents the stronger bond they now have).

Also for Ash...not to get Waterium-Z. Should really put this in CO's thread but I'm happy for Ash to just have two or a few more crystals. Unless other characters get a few more crystals too then I'd be fine with more variety on Ash's part.

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Ugh, no just no. Once is enough, Mallow's the only one I'd want to see fight a Totem to earn her signature stone as she feels like an actual main character unlike Sophocles and Lana.
And don't even compare it to gyms, that is NOTHING like that. You're just facing against the Totem and it's helpers, that will be boring as hell to watch twice within a few episodes.
The other characters don't need z-stones. Only Ash, the TRio, Kiawe, and Lillie really need them. And possibly Mallow.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I'm not sure whether anyone other than Ash in the cast apart from Kiawe should use Z-moves. Ash is competing in the Island Challenge, he's looking to master Z-moves, so it'd look better if Z-moves only remain confined mainly to Ash, other members of the cast getting Z-moves would limit the options of Z-moves for Ash. I don't want that to happen to be honest.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I'm not sure whether anyone other than Ash in the cast apart from Kiawe should use Z-moves. Ash is competing in the Island Challenge, he's looking to master Z-moves, so it'd look better if Z-moves only remain confined mainly to Ash, other members of the cast getting Z-moves would limit the options of Z-moves for Ash. I don't want that to happen to be honest.

this is the exact opposite of what I'm hoping for. They have a big cast so they should use the full cast.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!

Excluding the Pokémon-exclusive Z-Crystals and Z-moves, there are 18 Z-moves and Z-Crystals. There is no way Ash is going to showcase them all (and Kiawe is only interested in Inferno Overdrive), so there is no harm in giving Z-Crystals to other characters. Lillie has more use for Icium-Z (or Fairium-Z, if Shiron evolves) than Ash probably will, for instance.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Excluding the Pokémon-exclusive Z-Crystals and Z-moves, there are 18 Z-moves and Z-Crystals. There is no way Ash is going to showcase them all (and Kiawe is only interested in Inferno Overdrive), so there is no harm in giving Z-Crystals to other characters. Lillie has more use for Icium-Z (or Fairium-Z, if Shiron evolves) than Ash probably will, for instance.

Well, I admit that I won't mind Queen Lillie using a Z-move during the UB arc. But Mallow and Sophocles has no business using Z-moves, Ash should get Grassium-Z for Rowlet instead of Mallow using it(the latter is probably going to leave the cast soon anyway and Pikachu already has Gigavolt Havoc). Lana using Waterium-Z....nah I would obviously prefer for Ash to catch a Wimpod and it using the Waterium-Z. I don't prefer the idea of the whole cast using Z-moves, still think that'd limit the options for Ash.

Last edited:

johno1995

Well, I admit that I own mind Queen Lillie using a Z-move during the UB arc. But Mallow and Sophocles has no business using Z-moves, Ash should get Grassium-Z for Rowlet instead of Mallow using it(the latter is probably going to leave the cast soon anyway and Pikachu already has Gigavolt Havoc). Lana using Waterium-Z....nah I would obviously prefer for Ash to catch a Wimpod and it using the Waterium-Z. I don't prefer the idea of the whole cast using Z-moves, still think that'd limit the options for Ash.

I don't see it so much as limiting options for Ash as much as it gives the writers more flexibility to showcase more Z-Moves. I don't think the writers make up his team as they go along -- they probably know far ahead who he'll catch.

Giving the other characters Z-Rings allows the writers to showcase the ones that Ash just wouldn't have used in the first place, so we would be able to see most of them on-screen.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Well, I admit that I own mind Queen Lillie using a Z-move during the UB arc. But Mallow and Sophocles has no business using Z-moves, Ash should get Grassium-Z for Rowlet instead of Mallow using it(the latter is probably going to leave the cast soon anyway and Pikachu already has Gigavolt Havoc). Lana using Waterium-Z....nah I would obviously prefer for Ash to catch a Wimpod and it using the Waterium-Z. I don't prefer the idea of the whole cast using Z-moves, still think that'd limit the options for Ash.

All of the Z-moves are going to have to be shown off at some point or another (or else this anime isn't doing its job of promoting the games). Ash isn't going to get all 18 type Z-Crystals, so giving a few to other characters (note I said "other characters," not "the entire main cast") doesn't limit Ash's options at all. Do you really expect Ash to get Icium-Z or Fairium-Z or Psychium-Z, for instance?

I still think Ash is going to at least get the Z-Crystals corresponding to the (primary) type of each of his Pokémon, but he may not continue to use those Z-moves throughout the entire series. I'm namely talking about Gigavolt Havoc, Bloom Doom, and Inferno Overdrive, because the Pokémon Ash has who use those Z-moves also have their own exclusive Z-Crystals. If/when Ash gets Pikanium-Z (or Pikashunium-Z), that frees up Electrium-Z for Sophocles to use. If/when Rowlet fully evolves and Ash gets Decidium-Z, that frees up Grassium-Z for Mallow to use. If/when Litten fully evolves and Ash gets Incinium-Z, that frees up Firium-Z for Kiawe to keep using.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I don't see it so much as limiting options for Ash as much as it gives the writers more flexibility to showcase more Z-Moves. I don't think the writers make up his team as they go along -- they probably know far ahead who he'll catch.

Giving the other characters Z-Rings allows the writers to showcase the ones that Ash just wouldn't have used in the first place, so we would be able to see most of them on-screen.

If the other characters are getting Z-moves, they would probably get the Z-moves of the typing of their Pokemon, which can collide with the Z-moves Ash can possibly get.

@Satomine Night- I'd say the same thing here as well.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
And yet Gladion is confirmed for Rockium-Z.

Status
Not open for further replies.