• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sun & Moon Pokémon Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Or maybe Kalos " big downgrade" was because Ash caught way too many pokemon in Unova.Also considering how little Pokemon there are in Alola and Kalos compared to Unova it makes sense that Ash does not catch many Pokemon.

Also the more pokemon caught the more wasted spots there generally are so no point catching more than neccessary just for the sake of it.

Nope, problem is/was that Unova wasn't handled well.Just because it has small amount of Pokemon, doesn't mean Ash will catch less Pokemon. Johto had 100 Pokemon. Ash had 7 Pokemon on hand.And I didn't state he will catch 19-20 Alola Pokemon. I said 6 or 7.

If they're not handled properly. Like in Unova.
Example: Oshawott( comedic)-> Dewott( he would maintain his comedic nature) he stayed as Oshawott.
Snivy->Servine:She would still maintain mother-like nature: stayed as Snivy
Pignite-Emboar: wasted opportunity.
Boldore->Gigalith: as above
Palpitoad->Seismitoad : as above
Rest of them are ok.It's writers fault. They could easily give Ash 6-7 Alola Pokemon and make them deserve that spot.

ShadowForce720

So can we rule out Grubbin? The second attempt failed

No, because Ash actually tried to get it a second time and that it was shown to be relatively strong and it's starting to show up in multiple episodes and for instance so far it has shown up in 3 of the 4 episodes that have aired, so no we can not rule out Grubbin.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Nope, problem is/was that Unova wasn't handled well.Just because it has small amount of Pokemon, doesn't mean Ash will catch less Pokemon. Johto had 100 Pokemon. Ash had 7 Pokemon on hand.And I didn't state he will catch 19-20 Alola Pokemon. I said 6 or 7.

Example: Oshawott( comedic)-> Dewott( he would maintain his comedic nature) he stayed as Oshawott.
Rest of them are ok.It's writers fault. They could easily give Ash 6-7 Alola Pokemon and make them deserve that spot.

While I think catching 9 Pokemon is a bit too much, I also think that one or two extra Pokemon other than the full team of 6 is required. That's why I think DP team was almost perfect, and though XY team was really strong, he needed one or two extra Pokemon. Though I doubt it, lets hope that Ash has more Pokemon than a full team of six here in Alola.

esquilo09

I wouldnt say that yet cause we dont know how long he is going to be on the first island so he might get it on the third try

I agree, the writers might pull a Dawn on Ash, it's possible he might catch Grubbin on the third try.

ShadowForce720

I agree, the writers might pull a Dawn on Ash, it's possible he might catch Grubbin on the third try.

You know I'm thinking that either Ash will get Litten as his 2nd capture and then Grubbin as his 3rd capture or his 3rd capture will be Rockruff and his 4th capture will be Grubbin. But right now I'm leaning towards Grubbin being Ash's 3rd capture that gets caught after Litten but before Rockruff. Also I wonder how long until Team Rocket captures that Bewear. lol:)

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
While I think catching 9 Pokemon is a bit too much, I also think that one or two extra Pokemon other than the full team of 6 is required. That's why I think DP team was almost perfect, and though XY team was really strong, he needed one or two extra Pokemon. Though I doubt it, lets hope that Ash has more Pokemon than a full team of six here in Alola.

I, too, hope Ash catches more than five Pokémon (I'm counting Pikachu as the sixth). I also hope each Pokémon gets the focus and development it deserves, and that he ends up with a team of fully evolved, or at least midway evolved (for Pokémon with three-stage evolutions), Pokémon. If Ash's friends don't catch a lot of Pokémon, then they won't need as much focus, and thus Ash and his Pokémon can get more focus.

Now that the first few episodes of SM have aired, I suppose it's time for me to update my team predictions. I do think Ash will catch Litten, and I would like to see him fully evolve it. I also want Rowlet to fully evolve (and I want it to still be cuddly even as a Decidueye, because that would be adorable and hilarious).

I have a feeling Kukui's Rockruff is going to end up becoming Ash's Rockruff. It's already attached to him; it even sought comfort from Ash, rather than from Kukui, when it was frightened by Rotom's electrifying entrance. If Ash gets Rockruff, then I want to see it evolve into Midday Lycanroc.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ash catches Grubbin. Just because he missed it on his first two attempts does not mean he won't succeed on his third, or even fourth, attempt. He does seem determined to catch it, and he's not one to give up. :p

snorlax512

Ideally I want Ash to catch 6 pokemon (maybe 7), all of them get decent screen time and development, and at least four of them fully evolve.
The problem is more pokemon = less individual screen time and development

Captain America X

I'm not talking above evolution alone you know.Boldore,Palpitoad,Unfezent,Leavanny were all badly handled( just as badly handled as Noivern) in terms of episode focus and battles.If they had reduced the number of captures and given that extra overall focus to the rest of Ash's pokemon it would have been much better handled.

Johto has a total of 95 non legendary pokemon that was shared among 3 main cast members while Alola has a total of 82 non legendary pokemon( counting the alola forms) shared across 6 main cast members not including Kukui and Samson who seem to be main secondary cast members.Add a potential rival or 2 and the number of new Pokemon Ash will get is dramatically reduced.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I, too, hope Ash catches more than five Pokémon (I'm counting Pikachu as the sixth). I also hope each Pokémon gets the focus and development it deserves, and that he ends up with a team of fully evolved, or at least midway evolved (for Pokémon with three-stage evolutions), Pokémon. If Ash's friends don't catch a lot of Pokémon, then they won't need as much focus, and thus Ash and his Pokémon can get more focus.

Now that the first few episodes of SM have aired, I suppose it's time for me to update my team predictions. I do think Ash will catch Litten, and I would like to see him fully evolve it. I also want Rowlet to fully evolve (and I want it to still be cuddly even as a Decidueye, because that would be adorable and hilarious).

I have a feeling Kukui's Rockruff is going to end up becoming Ash's Rockruff. It's already attached to him; it even sought comfort from Ash, rather than from Kukui, when it was frightened by Rotom's electrifying entrance. If Ash gets Rockruff, then I want to see it evolve into Midday Lycanroc.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ash catches Grubbin. Just because he missed it on his first two attempts does not mean he won't succeed on his third, or even fourth, attempt. He does seem determined to catch it, and he's not one to give up. :p

Honestly, I'm hoping that Ash catches a good number of Pokemon in Alola, but I doubt it. Just 1 capture in the first 4 episodes. Probably 1 capture in 6 episodes is confirmed because the next two episodes are focusing on Popplio and Togedemaru. And the captures of the starters always focused on the starters, not any other Pokemon, so Litten is most probably not getting captured in those episodes. So sadly, it doesn't look too good from the outset.

Last edited:

batman14

I'm not talking above evolution alone you know.Boldore,Palpitoad,Unfezent,Leavanny were all badly handled( just as badly handled as Noivern) in terms of episode focus and battles.If they had reduced the number of captures and given that extra overall focus to the rest of Ash's pokemon it would have been much better handled.

Johto has a total of 95 non legendary pokemon that was shared among 3 main cast members while Alola has a total of 82 non legendary pokemon( counting the alola forms) shared across 6 main cast members not including Kukui and Samson who seem to be main secondary cast members.Add a potential rival or 2 and the number of new Pokemon Ash will get is dramatically reduced.

You acted like the other cast members cant get older gen pokemon

Captain America X

You acted like the other cast members cant get older gen pokemon

It's possible( I'm still now sure if that Charizard actually belongs to Kiawe since he treats it like it is his) but it's not like we are gonna get that many old gen Pokemon. Probably like 1-3 max like the last 4 series.Alolan forms also help reduce recaptures of older gen 1 Pokemon.

We still have the largest cast in the anime series ever. 8 main characters( counting Jessie and James), and 2 main supporting characters ( Kukui and Samson) . I doubt the Pokemon cast is gonna get too bloated

Last edited:

MattySadler

I don't think Ash will get a Pikipek now. The "regional Flying type" is (bar Johto) usually Ash's first or second capture, and he seemed completely disinterested in Pikipek because of Rowlet. Having now seen Pikipek's unimpressive evolutions, I don't mind this pattern being broken, and I hope the open spot in Ash's team is filled by something really interesting.

IMO, this kinda dumbed down chances that Ash will get Pikipek( possible, but unlikely)
In my Potentials I'd add percentage:

Jangmo-o -> Hakamo-o (7th Pokemon) 80%
Pikipek->Trumbeak->Toucannon (8th Pokemon) 30%

About main five
Rowlet: confirmed ( I hope these two evolve until the end)
Litten confirmed

Rockruff>Lycanroc: 70%
Crabrawler 65%
Grubbin>Vikavolt: 45%

Replacements:
Passimian instead of Crawbrawler: 30%
Wimpod >Golisopod 45%

Where have you pulled that lot from? Percentages based on absolutely nothing. Rubbish.

ShadowForce720

Honestly, I'm hoping that Ash catches a good number of Pokemon in Alola, but I doubt it. Just 1 capture in the first 4 episodes. Probably 1 capture in 6 episodes is confirmed because the next two episodes are focusing of Popplio and Togedemaru. And the captures of the starters always focused on the starters, not any other Pokemon, so Litten is most probably not getting captured in those episodes. So sadly, it doesn't look too good from the outset.

Except for the fact that in the episode that Ash captured Oshawott, Sandile was the main focus of the episode and not Oshawott.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Except for the fact that in the episode that Ash captured Oshawott, Sandile was the main focus of the episode and not Oshawott.

Ok, but that's an exception, so Litten's capture episode not focusing on it is unlikely.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Honestly, I'm hoping that Ash catches a good number of Pokemon in Alola, but I doubt it. Just 1 capture in the first 4 episodes. Probably 1 capture in 6 episodes is confirmed because the next two episodes are focusing of Popplio and Togedemaru. And the captures of the starters always focused on the starters, not any other Pokemon, so Litten is most probably not getting captured in those episodes. So sadly, it doesn't look too good from the outset.

We have seen Pokémon, including starters, get caught in episodes that didn't focus on them; ShadowForce720 gave the example of Oshawott being captured in an episode that focused on Sandile. So, even though the two next episodes focus on Popplio and Togedemaru, respectively, I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility of Ash catching Litten. He does appear to have a bonding moment with Litten. I wonder if Litten is the one who gives Ash those scratches on his arm, or if he gets those rescuing Pikachu.

I don't think Ash will get a Pikipek now. The "regional Flying type" is (bar Johto) usually Ash's first or second capture, and he seemed completely disinterested in Pikipek because of Rowlet. Having now seen Pikipek's unimpressive evolutions, I don't mind this pattern being broken, and I hope the open spot in Ash's team is filled by something really interesting.

I'm inclined to agree. I won't completely rule out the possibility of Ash catching a Pikipek later on, but as for now, it doesn't look like he will. I actually like Pikipek's evolutions, at least by design, but I don't mind seeing the pattern of Ash catching the regional bird broken this time around. After all, he just caught a bird in Rowlet, and even if Rowlet fully evolves and loses its Flying type, I'm sure it will still be able to use those massive wing arms to glide à la Hawlucha style.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
We have seen Pokémon, including starters, get caught in episodes that didn't focus on them; ShadowForce720 gave the example of Oshawott being captured in an episode that focused on Sandile. So, even though the two next episodes focus on Popplio and Togedemaru, respectively, I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility of Ash catching Litten. He does appear to have a bonding moment with Litten. I wonder if Litten is the one who gives Ash those scratches on his arm, or if he gets those rescuing Pikachu.

I'm inclined to agree. I won't completely rule out the possibility of Ash catching a Pikipek later on, but as for now, it doesn't look like he will. I actually like Pikipek's evolutions, at least by design, but I don't mind seeing the pattern of Ash catching the regional bird broken this time around. After all, he just caught a bird in Rowlet, and even if Rowlet fully evolves and loses its Flying type, I'm sure it will still be able to use those massive wing arms to glide à la Hawlucha style.

I don't want Ash to catch a Pikipek anymore though I wanted it earlier. Toucannon has a really slow speed stat, plus Toucannon seems to be a Pokemon that relies more upon attack than speed. Ash is at his best with speedy Pokemon.

dman_dustin

I don't want Ash to catch a Pikipek anymore though I wanted it earlier. Toucannon has a really slow speed stat, plus Toucannon seems to be a Pokemon that relies more upon attack than speed. Ash is at his best with speedy Pokemon.

Yeah but none of the Alolan 7th generation Pokemon are all that fast, at least Pokemon that Ash could get. Toucannon is as fast as Incineroar by the way.

Midday Lycanroc....maybe, and possibly.

Salazzle? I very much doubt it.

7th generation is the worst when it comes to saying Ash needs speedy Pokemon.

And no, I don't care if Torracat is faster than Incineroar.

Oricorio? I don't see this happening.

Ribombee? Only if somehow Ash doesn't get Grubbin.

Comfey? Doubt it since its Nurse Joy's healer Pokemon

Passimian? Don't like it being only useful for double battles but I guess its a possibility.

Wimpod? Is useless in this form, and Golisopod is much slower.

Sivally? Maybe.

Minior Core? Could happen.

Togedemaru/Mimikyu? LMAO, sure.

Bruxish? * shrugs shoulders *

Kommo-o? I wish, it being a relatively fast Pokemon in comparison to the other Pokemon, might be a thing for why Ash would get it.

Tapu Koko? Lele? Fini? Very much doubt it.

Solgaleo/Lunala? LOL, I doubt it.

The other Pokemon after Solgaleo/Lunala? LMAO, doubt it.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Where have you pulled that lot from? Percentages based on absolutely nothing. Rubbish.
It looks someone missed the first word on my post. I'd suggest you visit a ophthalmologist.

Agreed that they've them handled pretty poorly. But that's writers' fault.It's their fault that Oshawott was there for 80% of time. They could've easily reduced his time/focus on 55% while giving Palpitoad 45% ( he had like 15%). Also, it's their fault they added Charizard later. About Noivern; he was captured late, so no regrets( same with Gible).Same thing can happen to Alola( 5-6 Pokemon get focus) 1 would get smaller focus because it would get captured late.
They should've went on certain route with BW like: 1/2/3/4 episode: Pikachu, 3 starters, Unfezant and Scraggy. 5/6/7/8 episodes: Pikachu + remaining Unova gang. Hence, the name rotation.They didn't. That's why I didn't like BW that much.

You do realize not all 6 will get Pokemon from Alola? That'd be same if Clemont only got Kalos electric Pokemon.Kiawe could only have Turtonator from Alola. Lana only Popplio, Sophocles only Togademaru, Mallow only Bounsweet while rest of their Pokemon can be from Gen 1-6.Samson doesn't seem to own Pokemon and Kiawe could only have Rockruff( that may later give to Ash; maybe as a 'starter', since profs always give Ash starter is some way )
Just because rivals have one Pokemon doesn't mean Ash can't have it. According to that Sawyer shouldn't have Sceptile because Ash has it. Or Ash shouldn't have Turtwig because Paul had it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.