• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sun & Moon Pokémon Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dman_dustin

SM020 convinced me Ash will eventually catch Wimpod, Wimpod was pretty cute and was grateful to Ash that I hope we'll see Ash catching it in the future. At this point in time, barring any future titles/summaries, I think Wimpod is easily Ash's next capture, it wouldn't make sense for it to be something like Dewpider at this point.

I'm not saying its confirmed, but I do think it is FAR more likely now than before.

Speaking of which (outside of the wimpy attitude), I would kind of like if hypothetically Golisopod acted like that Wimpod, a cute Pokemon extremely grateful and happy to be with Ash would definitely be interesting.

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
Well, i don't think we should keep our hopes high for wimpod. We all know what happened with spoink in hoenn, hippopotas in sinnoh and venipede in unova. Wimpod could be no different.

ShadowForce720

SM020 convinced me Ash will eventually catch Wimpod, Wimpod was pretty cute and was grateful to Ash that I hope we'll see Ash catching it in the future. At this point in time, barring any future titles/summaries, I think Wimpod is easily Ash's next capture, it wouldn't make sense for it to be something like Dewpider at this point.

I'm not saying its confirmed, but I do think it is FAR more likely now than before.

Speaking of which (outside of the wimpy attitude), I would kind of like if hypothetically Golisopod acted like that Wimpod, a cute Pokemon extremely grateful and happy to be with Ash would definitely be interesting.

Not sure how it doesn't make sense for Ash to get a Dewpider at this point, I mean sure Ash saved Wimpod and yes it does increase Wimpod chances of being caught, but right now will have to wait and see if this Wimpod returns or not in a later episode and winds up getting caught, now I would agree that it wouldn't make any sense for Ash to get Dewpider if he's going to catch a Wimpod, but right now I think that it's way to early to be trying to eliminate Dewpider by saying that it wouldn't make sense for Dewpider to be caught at this point.

Because if Ash doesn't get Wimpod then there isn't really anything that would stop Ash from getting a Dewpider. Plus may I point out that if Ash doesn't get this Wimpod, it would not be the first time that he's helped a pokemon from a group but didn't catch for example one pokemon that comes to mind is the shiny Phantump back in Pokémon XY&Z.

dman_dustin

Not sure how it doesn't make sense for Ash to get a Dewpider at this point, I mean sure Ash saved Wimpod and yes it does increase Wimpod chances of being caught, but right now will have to wait and see if this Wimpod returns or not in a later episode and winds up getting caught, now I would agree that it wouldn't make any sense for Ash to get Dewpider if he's going to catch a Wimpod, but right now I think that it's way to early to be trying to eliminate Dewpider by saying that it wouldn't make sense for Dewpider to be caught at this point.

Because if Ash doesn't get Wimpod then there isn't really anything that would stop Ash from getting a Dewpider. Plus may I point out that if Ash doesn't get this Wimpod, it would not be the first time that he's helped a pokemon from a group but didn't catch for example one pokemon that comes to mind is the shiny Phantump back in Pokémon XY&Z.

I'm saying from the viewer's perspective, not the writer's or producers, I'd say it makes more sense because Ash catching Dewpider at this MOMENT in time would be coming out of nowhere.

They already showed us one water/bug Pokemon that had a nice bonding momwnt with Ash it would be incredibly weird for them to completely abandon that just to get Dewpider. Almost like they were teasing us, kind of making that touching moment with Wimpod meaningless.

Like I said if titles/summaries imply Ash getting Dewpider, then yes obviously Wimpod wasn't likely, I'm just STRICTLY speaking at this point in time

Last edited:

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who took the Wimpod thing as a possible foreshadowing. Though in fairness I didn't come to that conclusion in context since I still don't understand Japanese. Even if it's just thanking him, the fact is it did stand out so, why not speculate. Besides, everything up to this point has been predicted by the fans, so let's keep it predictable : )

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll

Yeah we all know about the Shiny Phantump! I'm still salty that Ash didn't catch it. I really hope that the same thing doesn't happen with Wimbod- they looked really adorable together! And I would rather Wimpod remain unevolved(generally I don't want this, but in this case I think Wimpod suits Ash better).

Last edited:

dman_dustin

Yeah we all know about the Shiny Phantump! I'm still salty that Ash didn't catch it. I really hope that the same thing doesn't happen with Wimbod- they looked really adorable together! And I would rather Wimpod remain unevolved(generally I don't want this, but in case I think Wimpod suits Ash better).

The only problem is that while Wimpod can learn SOME decent moves (it can only have 9 moves that are attacking), it's still considered a Pokemon that HAS to evolve (Like Bounsweet, and Caterpillar Pokemon), if Wimpod doesn't evolve its better not being on Ash's team otherwise its going to hinder Ash as a trainer or Wimpod itself would be intentionally heldback. I suppose if Ash catches more than the usual, I wouldn't mind it as much, but it will have to automatically be his weakest Pokemon (ever) and most comical capture ever (even if its not used for comedy). Basically Wimpod would be a gag Pokemon for Ash. I don't mind Ash getting it but only if eventually evolves otherwise I'll agree Dewpider would most definitely be a better option for (an unevolved Pokemon).

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
The only problem is that while Wimpod can learn SOME decent moves (it can only have 9 moves that are attacking), it's still considered a Pokemon that HAS to evolve (Like Bounsweet, and Caterpillar Pokemon), if Wimpod doesn't evolve its better not being on Ash's team otherwise its going to hinder Ash as a trainer or Wimpod itself would be intentionally heldback. I suppose if Ash catches more than the usual, I wouldn't mind it as much, but it will have to automatically be his weakest Pokemon (ever) and most comical capture ever (even if its not used for comedy). Basically Wimpod would be a gag Pokemon for Ash. I don't mind Ash getting it but only if eventually evolves otherwise I'll agree Dewpider would most definitely be a better option for (an unevolved Pokemon).

I agree with you here. I mean if Ash caught every pokemon he helped out, that'd be nice, but that's a lot of pokemon.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll

Yeah but Ash has caught weak unevolved Pokemon before like Totodile, Oshawott, Scraggy etc. so it wouldn't be the first time. I do understand your point though, but the fact is that Guzma would most probably have a Golisopod.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I don't think Ash will catch Wimpod. They might associate that line with "evil" because it's Guzma's ace.

ShadowForce720

Yeah we all know about the Shiny Phantump! I'm still salty that Ash didn't catch it. I really hope that the same thing doesn't happen with Wimbod- they looked really adorable together! And I would rather Wimpod remain unevolved(generally I don't want this, but in case I think Wimpod suits Ash better).

Well here is Wimpod's move pool:

Moves learned through level up:
Struggle Bug(Bug)
Sand Attack(Ground)

Moves learned through TM's:
Toxic(Poison)
Hail(Ice)
Hidden Power(Normal)
Taunt(Dark)
Protect(Normal)
Rain Dance(Water)
Frustration(Normal)
Return(Normal)
Leech Life(Bug)
Double Team(Normal)
Façade(Normal)
Rest(Psychic)
Attract(Normal)
Round(Normal)
Scald(Water)
Swagger(Normal)
Sleep Talk(Normal)
Substitute(Normal)
Surf(Water)
Waterfall(Water)
Confide(Normal)

Egg Moves:
Spikes(Ground)
Metal Claw(Steel)
Wide Guard(Rock)
Harden(Normal)
Aqua Jet(Water)

And then if consider that it's evolve form has more moves to chose from that would be useful for it, yeah I'm pretty sure that it's extremely unlikely that if Ash did catch a Wimpod that it wouldn't evolve into Golisopod.

Yeah but Ash has caught weak unevolved Pokemon before like Totodile, Oshawott, Scraggy etc. so it wouldn't be the first time. I do understand your point though, but the fact is that Guzma would have a Golisopod.

That's not the same thing comparing it's situation to Totodile, Oshawott, Scraggy and others is like comparing Apples to Oranges, the major difference here is those other pokemon that you mentioned had at the very least plenty of moves that they could choose from at the time that would be useful for them, Wimpod on the other hand doesn't have much of a really good move pool, heck Bounsweet has a arguably much better move pool then Wimpod and that's saying something.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Well here is Wimpod's move pool:

Moves learned through level up:
Struggle Bug(Bug)
Sand Attack(Ground)

Moves learned through TM's:
Toxic(Poison)
Hail(Ice)
Hidden Power(Normal)
Taunt(Dark)
Protect(Normal)
Rain Dance(Water)
Frustration(Normal)
Return(Normal)
Leech Life(Bug)
Double Team(Normal)
Façade(Normal)
Rest(Psychic)
Attract(Normal)
Round(Normal)
Scald(Water)
Swagger(Normal)
Sleep Talk(Normal)
Substitute(Normal)
Surf(Water)
Waterfall(Water)
Confide(Normal)

Egg Moves:
Spikes(Ground)
Metal Claw(Steel)
Wide Guard(Rock)
Harden(Normal)
Aqua Jet(Water)

And then if consider that it's evolve form has more moves to chose from that would be useful for it, yeah I'm pretty sure that it's extremely unlikely that if Ash did catch a Wimpod that it wouldn't evolve into Golisopod.

That's not the same thing comparing it's situation to Totodile, Oshawott, Scraggy and others is like comparing Apples to Oranges, the major difference here is those other pokemon that you mentioned had at the very least plenty of moves that they could choose from at the time that would be useful for them, Wimpod on the other hand doesn't have much of a really good move pool, heck Bounsweet has a arguably much better move pool then Wimpod and that's saying something.

Well, but Guzma will most probably have a Golisopod, so if Ash catches one, it evolving seems unlikely. It still can learn some attacking moves+status moves in its moveset I guess.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
While I haven't seen SM20 yet, I'm going to say it's a little early to jump on the Wimpod for Ash bandwagon. This wouldn't be the first time Ash bonded with a Pokemon over the course of an episode, and it probably won't be the last. Ash hasn't even said anything about going to Akala yet. It's still early, and there could easily be time for Ash to bond with a Dewpider or something.

Plus, there's still the question of what's going to be done with Guzma. Wimpod is one of those Pokemon that pretty much has to evolve if it's caught, yet Golisopod is Guzma's signature Pokemon. The game makes such a big deal out of it that I don't see the writers just changing his ace to something like Scizor. And the shiny thing has only been done once. If Ash gets Wimpod, it's probably going to evolve, and it's probably going to overshadow Guzma's.

That being said, Golisopod is the second best Water type introduced this generation, so I wouldn't mind Ash with one. In fact, part of the reason I predictrd Araquanid over Golisopod was because I prefer Golisopod, and I wanted to set myself up for disappointment over him not getting one. :p

ALSO! I do think that if we see that Wimpod again in the future, it's getting caught eventually. Yes, I know Hippopotas was a thing, and I don't care.

ShadowForce720

Well, but Guzma will most probably have a Golisopod, so if Ash catches one, it evolving seems unlikely. It still can learn some attacking moves+status moves in its moveset I guess.

If Guzma having a Golisopod stop Ash's Wimpod from evolving then, no Ash probably shouldn't get a Wimpod, and plus you say oh well it could just have move set of attacking moves+status moves in it's moveset, well that exact same argument could have been made for Bounsweet, and that didn't prevent Bounsweet from evolving, also most of Wimpod's moves are through TM and Egg moves which while pokemon have been shown that they can get TM moves your expecting that it would get 2 in that scenario, which doesn't really seem that likely.

If Ash gets a Wimpod it most likely will evolve into Golisopod, otherwise there are plenty of other pokemon that would be much better choices then an Wimpod that doesn't evolve.

dman_dustin

Yeah but Ash has caught weak unevolved Pokemon before like Totodile, Oshawott, Scraggy etc. so it wouldn't be the first time. I do understand your point though, but the fact is that Guzma would most probably have a Golisopod.

I'm not talking about Totodile, Oshawott, Scraggy weak, I literally mean something like Magikarp, simply because Wimpod is naturally weak to begin with.

Especially given that it has an extremely SHALLOW movepool for it to remotely be useful.

Unlike say Oshawott beating Dewott or even Buizel beating Floatzel, I honestly cannot imagine Wimpod EVER being able to defeat Golisopod, I can only imagine it beating basic Pokemon at most or at least Pokemon close to its size, like MAYBE with leech life Wimpod could defeat a Meowstic (an evolved psychic Pokemon) but that would honestly be a stretch since Meowstic could electric type moves, but at least it would be partially believable but still even Totodile/Oshawott/Scraggy would be innately stronger than Wimpod.

While I haven't seen SM20 yet, I'm going to say it's a little early to jump on the Wimpod for Ash bandwagon. This wouldn't be the first time Ash bonded with a Pokemon over the course of an episode, and it probably won't be the last. Ash hasn't even said anything about going to Akala yet. It's still early, and there could easily be time for Ash to bond with a Dewpider or something.

Plus, there's still the question of what's going to be done with Guzma. Wimpod is one of those Pokemon that pretty much has to evolve if it's caught, yet Golisopod is Guzma's signature Pokemon. The game makes such a big deal out of it that I don't see the writers just changing his ace to something like Scizor. And the shiny thing has only been done once. If Ash gets Wimpod, it's probably going to evolve, and it's probably going to overshadow Guzma's.

That being said, Golisopod is the second best Water type introduced this generation, so I wouldn't mind Ash with one. In fact, part of the reason I predictrd Araquanid over Golisopod was because I prefer Golisopod, and I wanted to set myself up for disappointment over him not getting one. :p

ALSO! I do think that if we see that Wimpod again in the future, it's getting caught eventually. Yes, I know Hippopotas was a thing, and I don't care.

I don't think Guzma having a Golisopod matters, honestly it would be fine with me if Ash's hypothetical Golisopod had a rivalry with Guzma's Golisopod, or just like other trainers even in the games, Guzma could just have a different Pokemon while Golisopod is his favorite. There was a team skull member in the games who's favorite Pokemon was Carnivine who didn't have one.

Casey in the anime really liked Electabuzz, and it took her awhile to even get an Elekid, so its plausible Guzma likes Golisopod but doesn't use it as his ace or even shows that he has one. I mean Hala's ace is Hariyama for no reason outside of Hariyama vs Pikachu.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I liked how Ash and Litten tried to give each other the fruit (berry?). Shows they've come a long way from their initial encounter.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I honestly think that the Wimpod-fakeout was just that. A fakeout. Like how the opening and the first episode or two gave us fakeouts for Grubbin.

I'm not talking about Totodile, Oshawott, Scraggy weak, I literally mean something like Magikarp, simply because Wimpod is naturally weak to begin with.

Especially given that it has an extremely SHALLOW movepool for it to remotely be useful.

Wowww... Completely out of context, but Struggle Bug, Sand Attack, Scald and Hidden Power is enough for the "Wimpod"-phase if it ever did get captured.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
i'd prefer Ash to get a shiny wimipod, or Guzma not have one (since they would probably make his shiny to make them different and i'm kinda tired of seeing stuff like that)

As for a move set it could have until it evolves.

Struggle Bug
Aqua Jet
Metal Claw
pick any move for the fourth.

Assuming he does get one, I don't mind it since it's one of the only real two water options he has at this point, given Lana has Popplio and it's getting tons of focus with her to warrant Ash not getting it, and nothing other then Golispod or Dewpider can fight on land.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I don't think Guzma having a Golisopod matters, honestly it would be fine with me if Ash's hypothetical Golisopod had a rivalry with Guzma's Golisopod, or just like other trainers even in the games, Guzma could just have a different Pokemon while Golisopod is his favorite. There was a team skull member in the games who's favorite Pokemon was Carnivine who didn't have one.

Casey in the anime really liked Electabuzz, and it took her awhile to even get an Elekid, so its plausible Guzma likes Golisopod but doesn't use it as his ace or even shows that he has one. I mean Hala's ace is Hariyama for no reason outside of Hariyama vs Pikachu.
Actually, it does matter. The writers don't like Ash sharing a Pokemon with other significant characters. It's obvious historically. Ash never got a Meganium because Casey and Jackson both had one. He didn't get a Sceptile until BF because Tyson had one. Paul had both Torterra and Gliscor, and both of them conveniently disappeared once Ash's Pokemon evolved. Same with Bianca's Pignite evolving so both she and Ash didn't have Pignite.

Could both Ash and Guzma have a Golisopod? Sure. Patterns are meant to be broken, after all, and the writers have been breaking a lot of patterns lately. But I tend to believe a pattern will continue until there's some reason to suggest it will be broken. And one episode involving Ash bonding with a Pokemon isn't enough for me.

As for Hala, the game doesn't go out of its way to suggest that Crabrawler is Hala's favorite Pokemon like it does with Golisopod and Guzma. It's not just an ace, it's his signature Pokemon. I find it hard to believe the writers would just change his signature Pokemon like that just so Ash could have a Golisopod.

dman_dustin

Wowww... Completely out of context, but Struggle Bug, Sand Attack, Scald and Hidden Power is enough for the "Wimpod"-phase if it ever did get captured.

I'm confused. Did you really think that I meant Wimpod would lack moves if it was caught by Ash.

Because while a moveset you described might be useful for a different type of Pokemon, it would not be AS useful for Wimpod, its a combination of things that makes it problematic.

Not saying Wimpod couldn't defeat a hypothetical Mudbray or maybe an Espurr, but I highly doubt the end goal of it all will have weak Pokemon for Wimpod to handle.

Take the Kalos League, if Ash had Wimpod, it wouldn't likely get a win, unless it was conveniently a weak Pokemon or very unevolved Pokemon.

Wimpod just isn't useful, long term for Ash and that's the point, it might be a relatively useful Pokemon in the beginning, maybe they could make Ash's Wimpod super powerful like they do with the Happiny line, I suppose, but just a Wimpod I don't think work's long term as Dewpider would more comfortably work especially given its ability and better movepool

Actually, it does matter.
No it doesn't. Both Barry and Ash had Staraptor, hell even Reggie had one, the only reason it WOULD matter is Guzma was Ash's rival.

If Ash can have Pokemon that a gym leader has (Turtwig), Ash could easily have one that a recurring character can have.

The writers don't like Ash sharing a Pokemon with other significant characters. It's obvious historically. Ash never got a Meganium because Casey and Jackson both had one. He didn't get a Sceptile until BF because Tyson had one. Paul had both Torterra and Gliscor, and both of them conveniently disappeared once Ash's Pokemon evolved. Same with Bianca's Pignite evolving so both she and Ash didn't have Pignite.

1. Just because there are some examples of this being the case, but Guzma isn't a rival (at the moment) so it doesn't matter. Ash having Charizard didn't stop Trevor or Alain from having one, yes Ash didn't use HIS Charizard, but they didn't HAVE to give them to Alain/Trevor as well as Kiawe and his Charizard (though I guess that's excusable for being a ride Pokemon) Ash and Paul both had Torterra, even if Paul didn't use his the point is Paul having Torterra never stopped Ash from having, the point is Paul having a Gliscor didn't prevent Ash from evolving his Gligar.

Unless you think Guzma will have a MAJOR role within the anime, I'm not seeing any legitimate reason to prevent Ash from having one, ESPECIALLY when he's had Pokemon that match Gym leaders. Clay had a Palpitoad, Winona had a Swellow, Ash may very well have a Lycanroc while battling Olivia.

Why is it that gym leaders are irrelevant, but it matters so much in regards to Guzma?

If anything Guzma is more like Alexa, and it didn't stop Ash from getting Noivern.

Could both Ash and Guzma have a Golisopod? Sure. Patterns are meant to be broken, after all, and the writers have been breaking a lot of patterns lately. But I tend to believe a pattern will continue until there's some reason to suggest it will be broken. And one episode involving Ash bonding with a Pokemon isn't enough for me.

Given that I'm not sure why Guzma is such an important character, I kind of disagree, with the whole pattern.

Especially when we're dealing with a generation with relatively few Pokemon to begin with, that literally the writers may either have to choose between Dewpider and Wimpod if Ash is going to get a water type Z-move, and I almost feel like Dewpider is MORE likely to go to Lana in the end, since that was her ace in the games, sure its Popplio now, but that's because they weren't giving Popplio to Ash. And I have a hard time imagining the characters ONLY having one Pokemon while Ash has up to six.

Hell Kiawe at least technically has two.

As for Hala, the game doesn't go out of its way to suggest that Crabrawler is Hala's favorite Pokemon like it does with Golisopod and Guzma. It's not just an ace, it's his signature Pokemon. I find it hard to believe the writers would just change his signature Pokemon like that just so Ash could have a Golisopod.

The anime does change things, to fit whatever narrative they want. The principal is "THEY CAN" even if ultimately 'THEY DON'T" I'm just saying if they feel so uncomfortable about giving Ash and Guzma the same Pokemon for whatever reason they can give either one different Pokemon, while with Guzma it could be his favorite Pokemon, just not a Pokemon he uses.

Maybe even a story of Guzma's Golisopod having died before we're introduced to him. Who knows I would love to see a story of Guzma being a "good" character long enough to help Ash with his own Golisopod, kind of like Ash's Grotle and Paul's Torterra, but its a temporary truce to help Ash with his own Golisopod only to turn on them at the end or something similar like that to be chased off with either a bug or water z move (maybe normal)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.