• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sun & Moon Pokémon Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
electric mouse, grass owl, rock dog, and now fire cat. wonder what's next water bug?

anywho, it's good to see ash building up a diverse team in alola. should help him out with his island challenge.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Other people think he's getting a Wimpod after today's episode? Great. It suits him, unlike that derpy spider

DavidD001

I'm sure that Dewpider might be the next capture.
Wimpod seems like it might be a POTD and Golisopod is Guzma's ace so...

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Just because Ash befriends a Pokemon does not mean he has to catch it. Examples include Hippopotas in DP and Phantump in XY.

esquilo09

In my opnion Ash won't catch a Wimpod, which it's evolved form is Guzma's ace, not to mention that if Wimpod is caught they might give it the Goodra treatment...

johno1995

At this point, I think I'm interested in seeing Ash with Dewpider/Araquanid as long as they give it a fun personality. I can see it being a bit derpy and over-affectionate to Ash, like Gligar-esque. Give it a moveset like Leech Life / Liquidation / Poison Jab / Frost Breath and I'd enjoy to see it battle, too.

Alolan Sandslash or Oranguru for the last slot!!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I don't think Ash will catch Wimpod. They might associate that line with "evil" because it's Guzma's ace.

That sounds prejudiced. Also, Ash has gotten two Dark types, one line which is especially associated with the villain team. Muk is also a Pokemon associated with villains. The reason I have against Wimpod is more the fact that I feel the Dewpider and Wimpod lines are rivals/counterparts and Dewpider's ability would be interesting to play out. Then again, a Golisopod on Golisopod fight would be pretty cool

Red and Blue

I imagine it will be a while before he catches his fifth Pokemon. Probably not till the third island

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
electric mouse, grass owl, rock dog, and now fire cat. wonder what's next water bug?

anywho, it's good to see ash building up a diverse team in alola. should help him out with his island challenge.

ground horse

Although I would much rather he develop the four he has and other characters get more Pokemon to help in their goals.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Other people think he's getting a Wimpod after today's episode? Great. It suits him, unlike that derpy spider
I agree that Dewpider isn't the most interesting Pokemon in the world and doesn't suit Ash as well, but I think Araquanid would be fine, given that one Pokedex entry that says it's a caring Pokemon that tries to protect weaker Pokemon. That definitely sounds like something right up Ash's alley.

Just because Ash befriends a Pokemon does not mean he has to catch it. Examples include Hippopotas in DP and Phantump in XY.
I think the issue here isn't just that Ash befriended a Pokemon. It's that Wimpod returned and thanked him afterward. With the exception of Rowlet, Ash's captures have been built up over time and have involved him bonding with the Pokemon he's going to capture. Wimpod would continue that trend. Plus, as far as I can tell, Golisopod is easily one of the most popular Pokemon this generation, so it's natural a lot of people want Ash to have one, so it gets an ample amount of screentime.

No it doesn't. Both Barry and Ash had Staraptor, hell even Reggie had one, the only reason it WOULD matter is Guzma was Ash's rival.

If Ash can have Pokemon that a gym leader has (Turtwig), Ash could easily have one that a recurring character can have.

1. Just because there are some examples of this being the case, but Guzma isn't a rival (at the moment) so it doesn't matter. Ash having Charizard didn't stop Trevor or Alain from having one, yes Ash didn't use HIS Charizard, but they didn't HAVE to give them to Alain/Trevor as well as Kiawe and his Charizard (though I guess that's excusable for being a ride Pokemon) Ash and Paul both had Torterra, even if Paul didn't use his the point is Paul having Torterra never stopped Ash from having, the point is Paul having a Gliscor didn't prevent Ash from evolving his Gligar.

Unless you think Guzma will have a MAJOR role within the anime, I'm not seeing any legitimate reason to prevent Ash from having one, ESPECIALLY when he's had Pokemon that match Gym leaders. Clay had a Palpitoad, Winona had a Swellow, Ash may very well have a Lycanroc while battling Olivia.

Why is it that gym leaders are irrelevant, but it matters so much in regards to Guzma?

If anything Guzma is more like Alexa, and it didn't stop Ash from getting Noivern.

Given that I'm not sure why Guzma is such an important character, I kind of disagree, with the whole pattern.

Especially when we're dealing with a generation with relatively few Pokemon to begin with, that literally the writers may either have to choose between Dewpider and Wimpod if Ash is going to get a water type Z-move, and I almost feel like Dewpider is MORE likely to go to Lana in the end, since that was her ace in the games, sure its Popplio now, but that's because they weren't giving Popplio to Ash. And I have a hard time imagining the characters ONLY having one Pokemon while Ash has up to six.

Hell Kiawe at least technically has two.

The anime does change things, to fit whatever narrative they want. The principal is "THEY CAN" even if ultimately 'THEY DON'T" I'm just saying if they feel so uncomfortable about giving Ash and Guzma the same Pokemon for whatever reason they can give either one different Pokemon, while with Guzma it could be his favorite Pokemon, just not a Pokemon he uses.

Maybe even a story of Guzma's Golisopod having died before we're introduced to him. Who knows I would love to see a story of Guzma being a "good" character long enough to help Ash with his own Golisopod, kind of like Ash's Grotle and Paul's Torterra, but its a temporary truce to help Ash with his own Golisopod only to turn on them at the end or something similar like that to be chased off with either a bug or water z move (maybe normal)
First off, I have to apologize. I was at work when I replied to your comment and was unable to express my thoughts fully, because I don't have a lot of time to reply on my breaks.

To say that Ash should be the only character in the entire series to own a Charizard or a Staraptor or Turtwig or Palpitoad or whatever is asinine. That would be limiting his options for captures way too much. However, my point still stands. Usually, if Ash shares a Pokemon with another character, the other character's Pokemon gets completely overshadowed by Ash's. It doesn't matter that Paul probably still had Torterra or Gliscor even after Ash got his. Point is, they were never seen again once Ash got his, because there was no need for them anymore. Ash had them already. Yes, Gardenia had Turtwig, and what happened? It ultimately lost to Ash's Turtwig. Same with Winona's Swellow. And stuff like Clay's Palpitoad and Krokorok or Barry's Staraptor are just cannon fodder. Naturally, Ash's Pokemon would overshadow them. I was referring more to ace Pokemon like Winona's Swellow, both Casey and Jackson's Meganium, Bianca's Emboar, etc., as well as proven powerhouses that his rivals own like Paul's Torterra or Tyson's Sceptile (again, I apologize for not making this clear in my last post).

Perhaps you're right, and I'm overestimating Guzma's importance in the anime. After all, it's still early, and Team Skull has only appeared in three episodes. But I at least expect him to be a little more important than, say, a Gym Leader. He's the leader of an evil organization. He's not going to appear for one or two episodes, only to disappear for the rest of the series afterward like Gym Leaders do. So yeah, I do place a little more emphasis on him than Gym Leaders.

I'd be fine with both Ash and Guzma both owning Golisopod IF the writers can create an interesting story between the two, sort of like Paul's Torterra helping out Ash's Grotle, and if it turns into a Turtwig vs. Turtwig or Swellow vs. Swellow type situation. In both those cases, Ash's Pokemon had a different battling style and different moves from the other trainer's Pokemon. That, IMO, led to more interesting battles (well, Swellow vs. Swellow was, at least). I admit that's one of my concerns about Ash sharing a Pokemon with another character: that they'd have similar battle styles and moves, and it would be a little redundant and boring to have two of the same Pokemon species that basically fight the same way. I'd rather see Ash with Araquanid in that case.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
That sounds prejudiced. Also, Ash has gotten two Dark types, one line which is especially associated with the villain team. Muk is also a Pokemon associated with villains. The reason I have against Wimpod is more the fact that I feel the Dewpider and Wimpod lines are rivals/counterparts and Dewpider's ability would be interesting to play out. Then again, a Golisopod on Golisopod fight would be pretty cool

None of them were a villainous team leader's ace though. None of the three Dark-types he has are associated with evil teams, with none of them currently having any Dark-type moves.

dman_dustin

Perhaps you're right, and I'm overestimating Guzma's importance in the anime. After all, it's still early, and Team Skull has only appeared in three episodes. But I at least expect him to be a little more important than, say, a Gym Leader. He's the leader of an evil organization. He's not going to appear for one or two episodes, only to disappear for the rest of the series afterward like Gym Leaders do. So yeah, I do place a little more emphasis on him than Gym Leaders.

Well to be clear outside of Giovanni since when has an evil team leader ever even had focus enough for owning a Pokemon to be a problem for the main cast?

Giovanni even has a Kingler in the anime, technically but didn't stop Ash's from evolving.

Giovanni has only ever really used Persian, but its Team Rocket so I'll excuse that one over importance.

In 3rd generation, it was Aqua Members and Magma members who had Pokemon, neither Maxie nor Archie had Pokemon.

Cyrus didn't have Pokemon.

Lysandre only used Pyroar and Gyarados, and very infrequently I might add, what a total of maybe 4 mega evolution specials and maybe a handful of XY&Z episodes. Hardly what I would call representative of either Pyroar or Gyarados, in fact it probably was shiny to offset how ordinarily boring a normal Gyarados would be, so they turned it into a shiny one.

And Guzma probably falls within the same grouping. He might show up, but how often, and would it really matter for him to infrequently (likely) using Golisopod.

Even in the games you battle him technically only officially 3 times, while the other 2 times are just side battle.

With all of that, to think Golisopod would ever EVER be properly marketed within the anime is laughable, but unfortunately it happens, to think just a few episodes is okay for a Pokemon to not have more screentime to not be marketed more and a justifiable reason to NOT give it to a main cast is a rather annoying.

Ash's hypothetical Incineroar and potential Decidueye is going to show up in more episodes than Guzma's Golisopod unless he doesn't get Incineroar/Decidueye.

Even if somehow Golisopod shows up in every Guzma episode (which I don't think that even happens with Giovanni and Persian), we might get at most 10-20 episodes if we're lucky.

If Golisopod isn't the right Pokemon for Ash, fine, I won't presume to know how the anime works. But because of Guzma? Would be absolutely ridiculous EVEN if that IS the reason.

None of them were a villainous team leader's ace though. None of the three Dark-types he has are associated with evil teams, with none of them currently having any Dark-type moves.
Krookodile is associated with Team Plasma, though, even though not their team leader.

Last edited:

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
given the low options, maybe he should forgo water this time around.

Besides they can't compare to what Greninja pulled off, I mean that's one tough pokemon to follow.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Well to be clear outside of Giovanni since when has an evil team leader ever even had focus enough for owning a Pokemon to be a problem for the main cast?

Giovanni even has a Kingler in the anime, technically but didn't stop Ash's from evolving.

Giovanni has only ever really used Persian, but its Team Rocket so I'll excuse that one over importance.

In 3rd generation, it was Aqua Members and Magma members who had Pokemon, neither Maxie nor Archie had Pokemon.

Cyrus didn't have Pokemon.

Lysandre only used Pyroar and Gyarados, and very infrequently I might add, what a total of maybe 4 mega evolution specials and maybe a handful of XY&Z episodes. Hardly what I would call representative of either Pyroar or Gyarados, in fact it probably was shiny to offset how ordinarily boring a normal Gyarados would be, so they turned it into a shiny one.

And Guzma probably falls within the same grouping. He might show up, but how often, and would it really matter for him to infrequently (likely) using Golisopod.

Even in the games you battle him technically only officially 3 times, while the other 2 times are just side battle.

With all of that, to think Golisopod would ever EVER be properly marketed within the anime is laughable, but unfortunately it happens, to think just a few episodes is okay for a Pokemon to not have more screentime to not be marketed more and a justifiable reason to NOT give it to a main cast is a rather annoying.

Ash's hypothetical Incineroar and potential Decidueye is going to show up in more episodes than Guzma's Golisopod unless he doesn't get Incineroar/Decidueye.

Even if somehow Golisopod shows up in every Guzma episode (which I don't think that even happens with Giovanni and Persian), we might get at most 10-20 episodes if we're lucky.

If Golisopod isn't the right Pokemon for Ash, fine, I won't presume to know how the anime works. But because of Guzma? Would be absolutely ridiculous EVEN if that IS the reason.

Krookodile is associated with Team Plasma, though, even though not their team leader.

I think with most team leaders their goals didn't require using their Pokemon to achieve their goal. Its not like Cyrus needed his Weavile to push macguffins around to summon gods

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
i hope we get to see more interactions between the three starters now that litten is officially part of ash's team. i imagine they're friendly with each other after their little "adventure" in episode 16.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
i hope we get to see more interactions between the three starters now that litten is officially part of ash's team. i imagine they're friendly with each other after their little "adventure" in episode 16.
I hope we do, as well. SM16 is probably one of my favorite episodes so far, and the starters just have such good chemistry together.

Red and Blue

I just want to see Litten and Rockruff interactions. I've waited so long for a cat and dog Pokemon on the main cast

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I agree that he needs to develop what he's got before getting something else.

Heck I don't think any of the pokemon Ash has caught so far have four moves.

satobato

Pokemon master
Ash caught kitten.Why is litten glowing green in preview of sm22

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Yeah, I don't expect Ash to get his fourth capture anytime soon, and that's for the better.

Ash caught kitten.Why is litten glowing green in preview of sm22
Probably because Pallossand is draining its energy. That's what Pallossand does.

Litten is probably not evolving, if that's what you were thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.