• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sun & Moon Pokémon Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Can you please give some instances of Rowlet being a goofball besides his sleeping thing.
Only instances that come to mind are SM16 and 18, where he was getting smacked around by Popplio and Bounsweet/Steenee respectively quite often. But that is two episodes out of 26, and the former was arguably justified to an extent. It's not like they turned it into a running gag that happens every single episode, like, say, Piplup getting blasted by Gible's Draco Meteor constantly.

JD

Only instances that come to mind are SM16 and 18, where he was getting smacked around by Popplio and Bounsweet/Steenee respectively quite often. But that is two episodes out of 26, and the former was arguably justified to an extent. It's not like they turned it into a running gag that happens every single episode, like, say, Piplup getting blasted by Gible's Draco Meteor constantly.

The majority of his scenes have him acting comedic or making silly facial expressions..although that isn't saying much since almost everyone does that in Sun and Moon. But comparing him to the other Pokemon he acts noticeably sillier than the others that Ash has at the moment.

In the episode were the starters got separated Rowlet would also start panicking while the other two would have to calm him down.

Last edited:

ShadowForce720

The majority of his scenes have him acting comedic or making silly facial expressions..although that isn't saying much since almost everyone does that in Sun and Moon. But comparing him to the other Pokemon he acts noticeably sillier than the others that Ash has at the moment.

In the episode were the starters got separated Rowlet would also start panicking while the other two would have to calm him down.

And? you do realize that doesn't mean really mean much considering that in most of that episode Rowlet had got a ring object stuck around it that prevented from flying, so Rowlet being nervous about certain things in the episode was natural since it couldn't really move by itself. Plus as I recall back during the advance generation May's Torchic got separated from her and it started crying and Corphish had to try and help calm it down, and that didn't prevent Torchic from evolving in that episode.

And plus in regards to it getting smacked around by Bounsweet/Steenee is because when Bounsweet/Steenee releases Sweet Scent Rowlet attacks it but this is something unique to Rowlet as it's been explained that other pokemon will attack Bounsweet/Steenee as well because of it's scent.

Last edited:

JD

And? you do realize that doesn't mean really mean much considering that in most of that episode Rowlet had got a ring object stuck around it that prevented from flying, so Rowlet being nervous about certain things in the episode was natural since it couldn't really move by itself. Plus as I recall back during the advance generation May's Torchic got separated from her and it started crying and Corphish had to try and help calm it down, and that didn't prevent Torchic from evolving in that episode.

And plus in regards to it getting smacked around by Bounsweet/Steenee is because when Bounsweet/Steenee releases Sweet Scent Rowlet attacks it but this is something unique to Rowlet as it's been explained that other pokemon will attack Bounsweet/Steenee as well because of it's scent.

Up until that point Torchic was growing stronger and stronger though, it started acting less childish and felt the need to prove itself to May and then it ended up evolving. I'd love to see Ash with a Decidueye but I'm not going to get my hopes up so I'm not disappointed if it doesn't happen for some reason. People thought for sure that Oshawott would be the water starter that would evolve for Ash and look what happened with that.

I can't be the only one afraid of Rowlet possibly going down the Chespin or Oshawott route.

Last edited:

Everything12

I don't think that any single Pokemon is comedic relief because Sun and Moon has shown that it can and will use any character or Pokemon for a joke so whats to separate any one Pokemon for another as a comedic relief, the only reason Rowlet is know as the comedic relief is because it has become something of a tradition to have a single Pokemon for comedic relief and Rowlet has something that the majority interpreted as a gag, his sleeping during the day, despite the fact that its perfectly clear that is something that all Rowlets do that.

Blaze Master X

The Fallen Hero
Just look at their dex entries. Rowlet's personality is similar to its dex entry.
Rowlet = Sleepy (during the day)
Dartrix = Birdbrain
Decidueye = Seized by panic after getting surprised

To be honest I think Rotom is the comedic relief Pokemon this time around

Agreed.

I don't think that any single Pokemon is comedic relief because Sun and Moon has shown that it can and will use any character or Pokemon for a joke so whats to separate any one Pokemon for another as a comedic relief, the only reason Rowlet is know as the comedic relief is because it has become something of a tradition to have a single Pokemon for comedic relief and Rowlet has something that the majority interpreted as a gag, his sleeping during the day, despite the fact that its perfectly clear that is something that all Rowlets do that.

This, so much.

Last edited:

Mrs. Oreo

Banned

Even if Rowlet hasn't been as overbearing as some past gag Pokemon, I feel like he's been wasted so far. He's cute and he's also had a few battles and cool moments and so many people still put him on a pedestal cuz they think he'll evolve, but I personally don't expect that anymore since Rowlet isn't showing much initiative.

ShadowForce720

Even if Rowlet hasn't been as overbearing as some past gag Pokemon, I feel like he's been wasted so far. He's cute and he's also had a few battles and cool moments and so many people still put him on a pedestal cuz they think he'll evolve, but I personally don't expect that anymore since Rowlet isn't showing much initiative.

Not showing much initiative? uh that's just because there really hasn't been many episodes where he has had the opportunity to battle as the writers were just focus on something else at the time, and plus if we look at past series some of Ash's pokemon that didn't show "initiative" still wound up evolving. I mean at this point Rowlet has just shown just as much initiative as Rockruff, and Litten do it's just that Litten had a episode focus on it so that it could master Fire Fang while Rockruff is getting episode 27, so I wouldn't be that surprised if a focus episode for Rowlet is coming up soon.

Anyway I feel like people are blowing this whole "oh Rowlet hasn't done anything so that must mean it's a gag mon and won't evolve" out of proportion I mean really if you look at the past few episodes you will notice they were focus on other characters so it made sense that Rowlet wouldn't have a huge role.

Last edited:

Mr. Guy

Banned
Rowlet has been significantly out of focus since the first trial (and that's only because it was the only Pokemon Ash had other than Pikachu at the time).

Ever since Rockruff and Litten joined the team, they've gotten significantly more focus than Rowlet has.

Rowlet feels more like a mix of the regional bird and the non-evolving gag Pokemon.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Ever since Rockruff and Litten joined the team, they've gotten significantly more focus than Rowlet has.

Even tho I'm a fan of Litten and Rockruff, I don't think it's fair that they've gotten more attention than Rowlet lately. In terms of development, those two are ahead of him and if Litten ever gets Chimchar syndrome, Rowlet is probably doomed. :[

ShadowForce720

Rowlet has been significantly out of focus since the first trial (and that's only because it was the only Pokemon Ash had other than Pikachu at the time).

Rowlet feels more like a mix of the regional bird and the non-evolving gag Pokemon.

Uh no, Litten and Rockruff are getting more focus now because Rowlet had got some focus in episodes 8, 9, and 10, where as Litten and Rockruff joined recently so they need to get some focus episodes in especially Litten since it need to master Fire Fang and Rockruff need to get in an actual battle + with Gladion using a Midnight Lycanroc it makes sense that the writers would want Rockruff to be the one to battle it. The truth is what's actually going on is that there trying to balance out the character development for the main characters and their pokemon so that's why Rowlet hasn't gotten anything recently yet is because some other characters needed to be flush out, but when you actually look at it Rowlet isn't as out of focus as your trying to make it sound, heck I wouldn't be that surprised if were not that far from a Rowlet focus episode.

Even tho I'm a fan of Litten and Rockruff, I don't think it's fair that they've gotten more attention than Rowlet lately. In terms of development, those two are ahead of him and if Litten ever gets Chimchar syndrome, Rowlet is probably doomed. :[

They haven't gotten more attention than Rowlet and they only reason why some people might think that is because there character focus episodes are more recent and/or upcoming, I mean heck if they weren't getting those episodes and Rowlet got those episodes instead then no offence but you two would probably just be complaining that oh Rowlet's hogging screen time or that Rockruff and Litten aren't doing anything.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I think that Rowlet's gonna fully evolve. Why give it the stealthy archer battle style if it's not gonna go all the way to Decidueye?

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
The problem isn't that Rowlet has been out of focus lately. It's that Rowlet hasn't battled lately. Problem is, there hasn't really been much opportunity for Rowlet to battle, considering the only real battles Ash has participated in are the one against Abareru-kun (that's one battle very soon after Rockruff's capture, no big deal) and the rematch with Tapu Koko (Ash had no choice here, Tapu Koko specifically wanted to battle Pikachu, and seriously Rowlet wanted to battle Tapu Koko). Sure, Ash is using Rockruff against Gladion's Lycanroc, but as ShadowForce said, Rockruff vs. Lycanroc makes sense. And we don't even know who's battling Umbreon. Everyone is assuming Pikachu, but... there's no real evidence that Pikachu is battling Umbreon.

Psychotic

NotLikeThis
Decidueye is the most popular of the final evolution starters, though. It doesn't lose any marketability at all.

And claiming that Rowlet will fully evolve because Ash's birds always fully evolve is a weak argument. It's a pattern, and pattern's are meant to be broken. That being said, I think Rowlet will fully evolve for three reasons (two of which are the same reasons I think Lana's Popplio will fully evolve):
1. Rowlet's battle style. From what we've seen in Rowlet's battles, it uses Leafage to hide itself and sneak up on its foes. That just screams "stealthy archer" to me, and I don't think the writers would have given it that specific battle style if the intention wasn't to evolve Rowlet all the way.

2. Like Primarina, Decidueye is a popular and marketable starter. Like I said, it's the most popular of the starter final evolutions. Not evolving Rowlet would be a huge missed opportunity.

3. Again, like with Primarina, they have to show off Decidueye in the anime somehow. If Ash isn't going to be on the to show off Decidueye, I would love to know how some of the people that feel Rowlet won't fully evolve think the writers are going to show off Decidueye. Throwing it into a PotD filler is unlikely, because Decidueye seems too popular for that, and it has a unique Z-Move which can't be shown off in a PotD filler. Anime OC rival debuting it is possible, but given the structure of the series, I have a feeling that Gladion is going to remain Ash's only rival (Island Challenges aren't like traditional Leagues, I highly doubt there are that many people running around taking them). I suppose it's also possible Gladion could randomly have a Decidueye (it's definitely a Pokemon that fits him), but I have a feeling that if he did have one, we'd be seeing it with his Lycanroc and Umbreon in the next episode.

Empolean was also popular(albeit by a slimmer margin) but that didn't matter in DP. I hope you're right though.

I highly doubt we're getting Hau since he hasn't even been referenced yet. I feel like they would have introduced him early on with Hala.

It took a while for Barry be introduced back in DP so it's not impossible.

ShadowForce720

Empolean was also popular(albeit by a slimmer margin) but that didn't matter in DP. I hope you're right though.

It took a while for Barry be introduced back in DP so it's not impossible.

yes but you really can't compare the two since there in different situation, while it's true that Empoleon was popular to a certain extent, it wasn't the most popular, as the most popular pokemon out of the final stage evolutions of the Sinnoh Starters was Infernape, followed by Torterra with Empoleon being the least popular, where as in Decidueye's case Decidueye is the most popular of the final stages of the Alolan starters followed by Primarina and with Incineroar being the least popular out of the final evolutions of the Alolan starters.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I thought DP was Empoleon > Infernape > Torterra. o_O

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys

Actually it was only Piplup who was the most popular out of that line which is why we got him being the merch mon of the generation.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Actually it was only Piplup who was the most popular out of that line which is why we got him being the merch mon of the generation.
Great. More fuel for the whole "Rowlet is the gag mon" theory. -_- Although surely Oshawott and Chespin weren't the most popular in their generations, either.

JD

I feel like the Gen 3 and Gen 4 starters were actually pretty even in popularity..they were all pretty well received in general so I don't know who was the most popular.

Great. More fuel for the whole "Rowlet is the gag mon" theory. -_- Although surely Oshawott and Chespin weren't the most popular in their generations, either.

Oshawott definitely was not and neither was Samurott most people seem to like Dewott though. When X and Y was first revealed Chespin was the second most popular behind Fennekin and Froakie was the least popular but that changed once people started to see what Froakie was based on.

Though if there is one thing about Rowlet he does fill the role of the regional flyer for Ash and they all end up evolving in the end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.