• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sun & Moon Pokémon Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Yeah, I agree with Illusio. Unless the anime is going to wrap up next year or we're going to get an announcement for a new game literally within the next few days or so, I don't think it's going to be this supposed third form. And to be honest, I kind if don't want it to be. It would basically be Ash-Greninja all over again: a special evolution that only Ash's Rockruff undergoes because it's a Special Snowflake/"the Chosen One."

Not only has nothing happened to suggest Ash's Rockruff is special, there's no reason to give Ash some special evolution other than marketing. Ash-Greninja was basically giving Ash something to battle Mega Evolutions with. What can a third form of Lycanroc provide that Midday or Midnight can't? Not much, other than potentially a different type combination or a signature attack, neither of which is that big of a deal. Best I could think of is a Lycanium-Z that only that one form could use, but... that would be really blatant, unfair favoritism that would make the other two Lycanrocs essentially obsolete. Even the favoritism toward Charizard isn't as bad as that would be.

Also, with regards to Origin Forme Giratina, it's a cover game mascot. I don't think it's too weird for it to be revealed before Platinum. Unless this third Lycanroc form is going to be on the cover of the next game, then I don't think it's comparable.

My money us on the mystery Pokemon being Midday Lycanroc, since Rockruff and Lycanroc are absent from that. Something to confirm that's the form Rockruff is evolving into.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I feel like the missing Pokemon is just Turtonator or something Kiawe has. Everybody else is represented there with Steenee, Primarina, Charjabug, Pikachu, Mareanie, Mimikyu. I don't think the Psyduck is indicating anything even though Poliwhirl is also there. After all, Golbat is there too and no one thinks that indicates a Brock cameo. Also, I found it interesting that Primarina was in the large box with Pikachu, but I don't know if that means anything at all.

ShadowForce720

Well in regards to what the mystery pokemon could be and since it seems like it will probably be one that winds up on the main cast(presuming it's not a pokemon that is currently on the main cast) then these would be the choices:

Kiawe:
Evolutions: Currently doesn't have any pokemon that can evolve.
Captures: Cubone/Alolan Marowak

Lana:
Evolutions: Considering it's already showing a Primarina it's doubtful that they would have Brionne here since the line already has representation here.
Captures: Wishiwashi(Solo/School form), Dewpider/Araquanid

Sophocles:
Evolutions: since Charjabug is already being shown it's doubtfull that the mystery pokemon would be a Vikavolt since the line already has representation there with Charjabug.
Captures: Can't really see anything right now as it seems to early for him to be getting a Minior or a Alolan Geodude but they could surprise us by either having him catch one of them earlier then expected or catch a pokemon that no expected him to catch

Mallow:
Evolutions: pretty much since Steenee is there same reasoning with Charjabug and the starters as to why it's doubtful that another member(evolution stage wise) would be there.
Captures: Morelull/Shiinotic, Fomantis/Lurantis

Lillie:
Evolutions: line is already represented by Alolan Vulpix
Captures: I'm not sure if Lillie is really going to get another pokemon soon I guess it will just depend on how much more progress she makes at overcoming her fear, but if she does get another pokemon soon then maybe Cutiefly.

Ash:
Evolutions: possibly Midday Lycanroc other then that both Rowlet's and Litten's lines already have representation and of course Pikachu has representation.
Captures: Wimpod, Dewpider, Morelull, Passimian, Oranguru, other then those maybe Jangmo-o or Alolan Sandshrew but it seems a little early for one of those 2 to join the main cast but you never know.

Jessie and James:
Evolutions: all members all ready have representation
Captures: Morelull(James)

phantasystar69

They definitely left a new form for Lycanroc out there based on time of day. They have a midday and midnight form, so there can be something based on a morning/break of dawn form.

nickdt

They definitely left a new form for Lycanroc out there based on time of day. They have a midday and midnight form, so there can be something based on a morning/break of dawn form.

Well... there were some rumours Rockruff evolved knowing Roar. This is also something that can happen with the new form. But i like your idea as well.

Everything12

Based off the evolution mechanics of the first two forms with Midday evolving during Day in Sun and Midnight evolving during Night in Moon, the third could just be it evolves in Stars considering their hasn't been any other Pokemon that evolves in any time time other than Day or Night, though their is a chance their isn't a third form and it is just an unused concept that won't be be in the third game. I also don't think Ash's Rockruff will become this third form because I think Rockruff will evolve to beat Olivia's Lycanroc and the Akala Grand Trial will probably happen this year and their probably won't be any main series game released this year.

desdar300

I hate to be that one "dirtball"" but the Japanese Pokémon Twitter account has been tweeting about Pokémon Red and Green since last month.
To quote Joe himself "It's just so weird since the Japanese Twitter stays away from memes and "irrelevant" tweets. That's why this strikes me as so odd"

Everything12

It was the 20th anniversary of Red and Green last, the perfect time to release a remake but instead they rereleased the originals on the virtual console, I honestly don't see why they would rerelease the inferior original version when they are going to release a remake soon after.

Personally if their is a third form of Lycanroc I doubt the anime staff knows about it and so they probably don't factor it into their plans, such as giving it to Ash.

desdar300

It was the 20th anniversary of Red and Green last, the perfect time to release a remake but instead they rereleased the originals on the virtual console, I honestly don't see why they would rerelease the inferior original version when they are going to release a remake soon after.

Personally if their is a third form of Lycanroc I doubt the anime staff knows about it and so they probably don't factor it into their plans, such as giving it to Ash.
What I'm getting at is Kanto sequels. An updated version where new Pokémon are out and about ( like in the latest movie) combine that with all the Gen one callbacks and Lillie departing for Kanto itself and it seems that that's what where we could be headed. Especially with the popularity of GO and how much it did for TPC and Nintendo alike.
Again, I know this isn't ideal for many but they wouldn't be tweeting about it otherwise ( since the VC ports are now peripheral) and if it was to promote the current movie they could've just shown clips from the OS anime to really drive in the nostalgia factor.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
His point being that if the Japanese Pokenon Twitter account has been going on about Red and Green so much, maybe we will get an announcement for a new game soon. New game announcement means there's a chance that third Lycanroc form is real, and if the third Lycanroc form is real, there should be little doubt Ash will get that one, Special Snowflake that he is.

Personally think a new game announcement is highly unlikely at this point but meh.

Illusio

No words, only rage
Well I wouldn't rule out any new game announcement until after E3 nintendo presentation.

Yeah, which is why I'm not saying it's impossible. It's just that with GF they like to play by the beat of their own drum when it comes to announcements, so the closer we get to E3 the more skeptical it's easy to get as GF loves having the attention all to themselves.

Everything12

The three scenes I manged to see of the Twitter, their might be more but I'd rather go search that much, was when Oak says welcome to the world of Pokemon, when the guy in Pallet says Science is amazing, and when the Gym Guide says Yo! Champ in making! in the Cerulean Gym, now correct me if I'm wrong but haven't all three of those scenes been used in every main series Pokemon game to date in some way or another.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
The three scenes I manged to see of the Twitter, their might be more but I'd rather go search that much, was when Oak says welcome to the world of Pokemon, when the guy in Pallet says Science is amazing, and when the Gym Guide says Yo! Champ in making! in the Cerulean Gym, now correct me if I'm wrong but haven't all three of those scenes been used in every main series Pokemon game to date in some way or another.

They all are. I don't really think that this is pointing to an announcement, and I don't want to go back to Kanto. We've had too much Kanto. I think that Ash will use all of the following Z-Moves:

Breackneck Blitz
Hydro Vortex
Inferno Overdrive
Bloom Doom
Gigavolt Havoc
Continental Crush
Subzero Slammer
Devastating Drake
Sinister Arrow Raid
Malicious Moonsault
10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt

desdar300

It all began when the account randomly asked what was the first Pokémon you chose in Red and Green and they've tweeting more and more ever since.

nickdt

Well... if we get Red and Blue (Green) remakes, that can only come on the Switch. Whats the point in putting it on the 3ds, when you can purchase Red and Blue on the 3ds via Nintendo. There are more Kanto references than Sinnoh references.

1. Lillie going to Kanto
2. Hau's daddy being in Kanto
3. GF building on Akala asking which game you played (Red, Blue, Green or Yellow) or will choose
4. Four of seven ride Pokemon being for Kanto, while they easily could have replaced three of them with others: Charizard > Braviary or another big bird, Tauros > Bouffalant, Machamp > Conkeldurr or another big fighting type.
5. Red and Blue appearance
6. Samson Oak is some kind of reference to Samuel Oak
7. Kukui having challenged the Kanto League.
8. Only four E4 members at the start, while Kukui challenges you for the title (Mimicking Red and Blue basically, with Red challenging Blue for the title).

Last edited:

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
She was fishing for it when she first met Ash.

O I didn't remember that. Well I guess we can count Bruxish out as a possible Lana capture later on then. I haven't kept up with any SM merchandise either, so frankly I have no idea which Alola Pokemon have been hinted as possible upcoming captures. ^^;

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
FWIW, I have noticed a suspicious amount of Cosmog merchandise lately.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
People think Rockruff will end up the third forme still?
It seems they're hinting at it evolving soon. And it'd obviously be Lycanroc by Olivia.
It's going to be Midday. They can always introduce some character added in Eclipse/DP remakes as another rival and give him/her that Lycanroc.
Somebody has to own Midday

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
To be fair, I can kind of understand why people would not want Midday.

Just like some criticized the Midnight form's design for being too stylized/tryhard/edgy, some criticized the Midday form's design for going too far in the opposite direction: too safe/conservative/bland.

And that's how people viewed it as an option for Ash's team. It's basically a safe, obvious, lowest hanging fruit option, because of its relatively conservative design and the fact that it's the standard "good guy" form. Some feel Midnight would have led to a more interesting character or more interesting development simply because it's not the obvious "good guy" form. It's more reckless and bloodthirsty than the Midday form, and the whole battle style revolving around Counter is something that hasn't really been done with Ash before (except maybe with Goodra, but Goodra participated in, what, three battles?)

Not necessarily saying I agree with this, but I'm guessing that's the mindset that some have. Personally, I wouldn't have cared which form Rockruff was going to evolve into because I like both forms equally.

Status
Not open for further replies.