• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sun & Moon Pokémon Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Personally I thought SM were atleast quite a bit harder than XY and ORAS. Sure there was hand holding in terms of where the player is supposed to go to, but battle wise was a step up from XY. Totem Wishiwashi, Lurantis and Mimikyu were actually quite challenging, and the SM elite four was actually quite strong.

desdar300

You'll can forget about gyms coming back since they were a hit with GF's home country and a multitude of critics so they're probably going to run with them but call them something different .
To get back on subject, I do wonder if Ash is going to catch a Water mon pretty soon since it looks like he's going to be doing Wishiwashi's trial soon.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Probably either the Wimpod from SM20 or a hypothetical new Alolan form to be introduced in USM. None of the others suit him, and Araquanid will probably go to Lana.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
You'll can forget about gyms coming back since they were a hit with GF's home country and a multitude of critics so they're probably going to run with them but call them something different .
To get back on subject, I do wonder if Ash is going to catch a Water mon pretty soon since it looks like he's going to be doing Wishiwashi's trial soon.

I really can't imagine Ash catching a water pokemon to go against Wishiwashi. Wimpod and Araquanid seem like they wouldn't stand a chance, especially freshly caught. If anything I think afterwards he could, but only to utilize the waterium-z he could potentially obtain. Well not only, since he would catch it for other reasons, but from a writing prospective.

desdar300

I really can't imagine Ash catching a water pokemon to go against Wishiwashi. Wimpod and Araquanid seem like they wouldn't stand a chance, especially freshly caught. If anything I think afterwards he could, but only to utilize the waterium-z he could potentially obtain. Well not only, since he would catch it for other reasons, but from a writing prospective.
Yeah, this is pretty odd indeed. I'm really not sure what to expect.

ShadowForce720

An Alolan Octillery might be interesting.

yeah it would and that one idea you had about Alolan Octillery would certainly be interesting.:
Alolan Octillery (octopuses can come on land, we've seen Octillery on land).

In Hawaii there are two species of Octopi called the Day Octopus and the Night Octopus (Sun and Moon).
So Day: Water/Psychic and Night: Water/Ghost (there is also the recently discovered Ghost Octopus)

If A-Octillery does become a thing we might see Ash get a type he hasn't caught yet.

Which if this does wind up being the case and Ash winds up getting an Alolan Octillery then I think he would get the Alolan Octillery day form, of course the actual typing of an Alolan Octillery and whether or not it will actually get an Alolan form is still just up to debate as right now it's just speculation.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I'm going to wait and see which Pokemon actually get Alolan forms before speculating on what he will get.

SinnohEevee

To be fair, other than eliminating the hand holding and giving Gym Leaders 6 IV, EV trained competitive Pokemon, there isn't really much GF can do to make Pokemon hard. And they're not going to, either, because kids are the target demographic, not us.

They can introduce Easy/Medium/Hard Mode.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Okay, but what would Hard Mode entail?

Hard mode: All your Pokemon are capped at Level 50. The opponent's Pokemon (if bosses like Totem Pokemon or Elite 4) all get +1 to all stats at beginning of battle, excluding evasiveness but including accuracy. Battle mode is always Set. You can only heal 3 times per battle.

SinnohEevee

Okay, but what would Hard Mode entail?

There should be three modes:
* Easy: what the games are now.
* Medium: The EXP Share would be less generous. All E4 and Champion battles would be 6v6, same thing with the last rival battle.
* Hard Mode: No EXP Share. Since by the time you gave the E4, you would already have a Legendary, then the E4 and Champion or the Champion should have a Legendary that is not in your version. In your last battle with your rival, they too would have a Legendary you can't get. In a Gym, both you and the Gym Leader would use the same amount of Pokémon (like in the anime). Also, like in the anime, all E4 and Champion matches will be 6v6, same with your final rival battle.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
For hard mode, there doesn't need to be drastic changes, just a few. Like the Experience Share, I do like that it gives Exp to all Pokemon, although at the expense of overleveling your Pokemon. I think what they can do to make it more challenging is to simply let the EXP Share function like it it did from GSC to BW, just one Pokemon during the main story, and then let it start giving Exp to all your Pokemon after the main game.

Yeah, I also agree that for Gyms, there should be a cap on how many Pokemon we can use depending on how many the gym leader has. Personally, I don't think rivals or anyone need to have a legendary to battle yours. Just make it such that the main Legendary is only catchable post game. Just tweaking the AI a bit to make opponents smarter, such as predicting better switch ins will also work. Oh and finally, yes I agree, let healing only be allowed a maximum of three times per battle.

Last edited:

World Turtle

Okay I don't know about this supposed third form but if Rockruff doesn't evolve to Midday I call BS when they're doing all these little signs for it. Rockruff cheered on Midday during Fight Club, how it interacted with Olivia's Midday, how Gladion has Midnight setting him up as a foil/rival to Ash, not to mention the Midday Lycaroc card in that Ash vs Team Rocket Deck.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Okay I don't know about this supposed third form but if Rockruff doesn't evolve to Midday I call BS when they're doing all these little signs for it. Rockruff cheered on Midday during Fight Club, how it interacted with Olivia's Midday, how Gladion has Midnight setting him up as a foil/rival to Ash, not to mention the Midday Lycaroc card in that Ash vs Team Rocket Deck.

I'm also starting to lose hope with a third Lycanroc form, but I'm still holding out! Iam really warming up to Ash getting Midday. I used to like midnight better but midday in the anime had recently caught my attention!

phantasystar69

The anime's current lack of focus on battling doesn't have anything to do with the lack of Gyms, IMHO. The writers could have just as easily made this series incredibly battle-focused, even though there are Trials instead of Gyms. Likewise, the writers could have decided to make previous series less battle-focused, even though there were Gyms.

I also disagree that Ash's team can only get more development if there are Gyms. The level of character development for the Pokémon doesn't depend on whether or not there are Gyms vs. Trials.

Ash's primary goal is to become a Pokémon Master, not to win a League. Sun & Moon has not changed his goal at all. He is still aiming to become a Pokémon Master. He collects badges and participates in regional Leagues because that's apparently one step toward becoming a Pokémon Master, but it has never been stated to be the only step. This time around, he has decided to attend school and participate in the Island Challenge.

We can agree to disagree then. I just prefer gyms and leagues to trials. Especially, when he has been getting closer and closer to winning one. I didn't say his team couldn't get any development if he wasn't battling all the time. I just think battling a rival (like Paul) helped a lot of his pokemon get stronger, evolve, and learn new moves.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
We can agree to disagree then. I just prefer gyms and leagues to trials. Especially, when he has been getting closer and closer to winning one. I didn't say his team couldn't get any development if he wasn't battling all the time. I just think battling a rival (like Paul) helped a lot of his pokemon get stronger, evolve, and learn new moves.

Not necessarily Paul, but just having a writingstaff that's into the idea of developing pokémon step-by-step.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
You said that the SM anime has been boring to you because of the lack of focus on battles, and you implied that the fact that Gyms have been replaced with Trials is one of the reasons for this. I was simply arguing that the lack of focus on battles has nothing to do with Gyms being replaced with Trials. It has to do with the writers' decision to make SM so far less battle-focused and more character-focused. The writers could have made SM incredibly battle-focused, despite Gyms being replaced with Trials, by having Ash participate in tons of battles in between Trials.

The way you worded your post also implied that you believe Ash's team can get better development if there are Gyms, rather than Trials. Again, I was arguing that's not true. Battling is not the only way for a Pokémon to get development. They can also get character development, and I think Ash's SM team has gotten quite a bit of character development so far, compared to some of his previous regional teams.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Here's my current Ash team prediction:

Pikachu
Decidueye
Incineroar
Lycanroc (Either Midday or rumored third form if there is one)
Alolan Sandslash
Kommo-o

Everything12

Ash:
Pikachu
Decidueye
Torracat
Lycanroc (Twilight)
Sandslash (Alolan)
Kommo-o

Lillie:
Ninetales (Alolan)