• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sun & Moon Pokémon Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
What they should go ahead and do is as Nanu pointed out in the games, before leagues were established a trainer would re-fight all the kahuna's for a final trial.

So what they could do instead is have Ash face off with Gladion (who has been doing the island challenges) since they have an established rivalry as Ash's big battle for his alola pokemon.

As far as a league goes, i'd still like to see a champion (maybe Cynthia since she is in the games) appear in alola, and whoever it is explains to Kakui that you can't just have a league for the sake of having it, and that there are qualifications that must be met, thus Kakui could work towards building a proper league, though Ash probably wouldn't be around when it was completed.

Evanibble

I could see the Alola League including several different types of battling: 1v1, doubles, 3v3 and/or 4v4, and a full 6v6 battle for the finals (which could, or could not, include Ash*). I think most of the battles will involve a lower number of Pokemon until the end, and the number of participants being low due in part to this league being the inaugural one, and that Alola is a smaller region relative to all of the others (and more remote, right?).

*Assuming Ash has a full team, which is sort of up in the air right now.

I don't like the idea of there being no requirement to enter. Whether or not the writers will do that is to be seen, but I think it'd be a mistake since it sort of waters down the standards of a regional league. If they stuck to previous series, they'd have the requirement be completion of all four Grand Trials. However, I really like the idea someone brought up earlier of lowering that requirement to, say, maybe two. That way, a young, inexperienced but clearly interested trainer like Kiawe could enter. The idea of Mallow, Lillie, or Sophocles entering is ridiculous because, of those three, only one actually has even a remote interest in being a battler (Lillie).

As for Lana...she's not a battler but, out of everyone except Kiawe, she has the most potential to be one. It's already been said that she has two Pokemon, a Z-crystal, and a Z-ring. All she really needs is battling experience. Otherwise, she's set. Out of the classmates, really only her and Kiawe could sensibly compete in a league, and the former is still a big maybe.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Eh, I think it's kinda split, but I think the people who are upset had this whole attitude that, hey, the writers kinda shot themselves in the foot and that they might as well screw the classmates and go all-in with Ash for the rest of the series because there's allegedly so little time left.

Well at least nice to know that there are overall and contrasting and divided opinions regarding this matter, and majority of the fans here aren't at least acting salty and pissed off that Ash hasn't caught Eevee, or that Lana has basically stole Eevee. :p

Also, I know a lot of people are under the assumption that Nagisa won't get any screentime because Lana is so inactive, but that is something I disagree with.
Of course it's gonna get some screentime and spotlight because of the LGPE promo factor and it's screenhogging like playful and comedic personality which is pretty much obvious, but being a Lana Pokemon is way different than being an Ash Pokemon. Ash and Lana aren't even comparable even in the slightest in terms of importance, Ash is the main face of the show as a whole, the protagonist of the show who basically appears in every canonical episode and movie of the show, while Lana is a member of the SM main cast, who isn't even the second most important character of the show. Lana naturally doesn't get nearly as much focus episodes as Ash. Sure Eevee still would get a good amount of focus under Lana, but it isn't even comparable to the focus it presumably would have gotten if it went to Ash; if Ash got Eevee, due to being a Pokemon belonging to the main protagonist along with the side factors of the LGPE promo and its screenhogging like personality, it obviously would have gotten a huge amount if screentime and focus (maybe even lasting even for say, 2 months). Going to Lana at least means that it's focus and spotlight is at least gonna be limited to a certain extent.

Nagisa isn't comparable to Piplup, Oshawott, or Chespin, and honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Lana and Popplio start getting more screentime because of Nagisa. I mean, this isn't even comparable to Marowak and Charjabug.
Except Nagisa is comparable to Piplup and Oshawott in terms of personality as we have seen seem so far. It is cute and comical Pokemon in that mould, which has a sort of really comedic and playful personality and acts overly cute, playful, and comedic while interacting with other Pokemon/humans, whether it's playfully tackling other Pokemon, whether it's about the overly comedic reactions while it's being chased by another Pokemon being frightened or going through lots of slapstick (which it actually quite often does) in fact. And in the process hogs quite some screentime.

Eevee is basically a secondary mascot at this point, there's no way it's just going to be stuck in the background for the entirety of the series.

Of course, as I said before, Eevee is of course going to get get a good amount of spotlight and focus, but that isn't even comparable in the slightest to the focus it would have quite likely gotten if Ash caught it. Comparatively, Eevee's focus would be at least limited to an extent, because Lana afterall isn't that much important of a character like Ash, nowhere even close.

I
am maybe, maybe, a little concerned Nagisa will overshadow Popplio for the sake of marketability, kind of like how Marowak has kind of overshadowed Turtonator, but given Popplio is an actual Water type and Nagisa is not, I doubt that will happen. Plus there's merchandise that's heavily suggesting Popplio is going to evolve, so it is all but guaranteed at least one more focus episode, at least.
We, Nagisa is gonna overshadow Popplio to a certain extent of course since it's an LGPE mascot, but then again Popplio doesn't usually get that much focus episodes in the first place (I don't remember any except for the Totem Wishiwashi Grand Trial and the sea-folks episode where Brionne appeared) so it's not like that would make a lot of difference. As long as Popplio gets to evolve into Brionne (which would mean a bit of focus at least like you said), I'm fine with it.

As for Ash's team, I'm predicting Poipole and Charizard for now, but we'll see. Poipole I'm confident in. Charizard is more of a bold prediction.

Poipole coming back is fine with me but then again it barely knows how to battle, so it would need sort of a rushed/DEM evolution during a League battle, which would be a bit of cop-out. But Ash at this point hardly even has too many options so its fine.

As for Charizard....I have been telling this for a long time in this thread that Ash's Kanto mons coming in as reserves at the tine of the Alola League would be a lot more convenient than shoving down two rushed captures in Ash's team at this point which would feel at bit out of space. As long as they can distribute the battles/battle focus in the Alola League amongst Ash's Alola mons and the Kanto reserves, like how similarly they did in the Sinnoh League, I think it'd work pretty well.

As I said in the SM99 episode thread, "drama queen" is not the right phrase to describe Nagisa. A drama queen is someone who overreacts to situations or reacts in a melodramatic way (and I don't mean purely for the sake of comedy). Nagisa may be easily excitable and a little rambunctious, but it's far from being a drama queen. As you said yourself, it's cute and comedic. It's not melodramatic.

And I already did reply to this point of yours in the SM99 episode review thread so I will just basically have to repeat it here:

Nagisa actually does act quite a bit overdramatically playful, cute and comical all the time, you can just notice just by seeing its interactions with other Pokemon and humans, whether its playfully tackling other Pokemon, acting hurt in a comedic manner while it goes through a ton of slapstick stuff or whether it's its frightened reaction when it's running away being frightened by a Pokemon. It does act comedically/playfully overdramatic all the time, and in the process hogs a ton a screentime. Should I then just call it a comedic drama queen?

I won't disagree, though, about Nagisa's personality being a "screen-hogging" personality. However, it's not the only Pokémon with that type of personality. Rowlet, Marowak, and Togedemaru (especially the last) all have personalities that could easily hog screen time, but the writers haven't really used their personalities to the fullest. So, there's a chance that, after awhile, Nagisa may not be as much of a screen time hogger when it's not the main focus.

So you agree that Nagisa's personality indeed is quite a screen-hogging one. That's the main point. And no, Rowlet, Marowak and Togedemaru doesn't really overdramatically act that much playful, cute and comedic all the time mor does they go through as much slapstick as Nagisa does. Plus, the LGPE promo factor actually increases that the writers quite likely would use its screenhogging personality. Of course, the spotlight and screenhogging and getting spotlight aspect would presumably be limited to a certain extent since it went to Lana, who isn't that much of an important character, if it went to Ash then it would've quite likely become a serious screenhogger in the rest of SM.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
So you agree that Nagisa's personality indeed is quite a screen-hogging one. That's the main point. And no, Rowlet, Marowak and Togedemaru doesn't really overdramatically act that much playful, cute and comedic all the time mor does they go through as much slapstick as Nagisa does. Plus, the LGPE promo factor actually increases that the writers quite likely would use its screenhogging personality. Of course, the spotlight and screenhogging and getting spotlight aspect would presumably be limited to a certain extent since it went to Lana, who isn't that much of an important character, if it went to Ash then it would've quite likely become a serious screenhogger in the rest of SM.
Yes, I agree that Nagisa's personality is a potentially screen time-hogging personality. (I say "potentially" because the writers may or may not decide to take advantage of that personality now that Nagisa is part of the main cast.) However, it's not a drama queen, and that was my point.

I didn't say Rowlet, Marowak, and Togedemaru have the same personality as Nagisa. I said their personalities are also potentially screen-hogging personalities—play up certain character traits, and they could easily hog screen time from other Pokémon. Let's take Togedemaru, for instance. She is overly excitable and tends to cause a disturbance whenever she gets too excited, rolling around and crashing into people/Pokémon or things. The writers could play up that excitability; if they were to do so, she could pretty much steal the spotlight in nearly every scene she is in.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Yes, I agree that Nagisa's personality is a potentially screen time-hogging personality. (I say "potentially" because the writers may or may not decide to take advantage of that personality now that Nagisa is part of the main cast.) However, it's not a drama queen, and that was my point.

I didn't say Rowlet, Marowak, and Togedemaru have the same personality as Nagisa. I said their personalities are also potentially screen-hogging personalities—play up certain character traits, and they could easily hog screen time from other Pokémon. Let's take Togedemaru, for instance. She is overly excitable and tends to cause a disturbance whenever she gets too excited, rolling around and crashing into people/Pokémon or things. The writers could play up that excitability; if they were to do so, she could pretty much steal the spotlight in nearly every scene she is in.
Eevee is also a promotional Pokemon, making this problem worse.

World Turtle

If Ash is going to catch at least one more thing. I think it'll be in January and with Misty and Brock coming to visit in that two partner (Dec 23rd-Jan 6th) I'd wager it being one of the two water/bug types and they spend time trying to use Wimpod/Dewpider to help Misty get over her fears of bug types. Of course that's be a reason for MISTY to catch it now that I think about it...

Regardless, whatever his next/last capture is if they want to give it enough time for development it should be caught in January. That way it gets the rest of the year till Gen 8 (so Nov?).

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
If Ash is going to catch at least one more thing. I think it'll be in January and with Misty and Brock coming to visit in that two partner (Dec 23rd-Jan 6th) I'd wager it being one of the two water/bug types and they spend time trying to use Wimpod/Dewpider to help Misty get over her fears of bug types. Of course that's be a reason for MISTY to catch it now that I think about it...

Regardless, whatever his next/last capture is if they want to give it enough time for development it should be caught in January. That way it gets the rest of the year till Gen 8 (so Nov?).
omg the poop show that would go with the fanbase if Misty caught the dewpider that Lana should have caught...

Blue Snover

Cold as ice
With Eevee confirmed to be going to Lana, the plushie pic i found of an Alolan Vaporeon might be right after all.

It could also be a good opening for Misty to return, and bring a Water Stone to Lana as a gift.

Last edited:

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
I would prefer if Misty's appearance on Alola warrants Guzma showing up and accidentally causing trouble JUST because of his Golisopod short circuiting Misty's brain with its type combination. It is a water type... yet it is a bug.

Then Ash shows up to stop him under a misunderstanding and our boy just goes with it and plays the bad guy!

It would be hilarious, we are probably not getting that... but I want to!

World Turtle

I would prefer if Misty's appearance on Alola warrants Guzma showing up and accidentally causing trouble JUST because of his Golisopod short circuiting Misty's brain with its type combination. It is a water type... yet it is a bug.

Then Ash shows up to stop him under a misunderstanding and our boy just goes with it and plays the bad guy!

It would be hilarious, we are probably not getting that... but I want to!

Wait I know! Ash catches a Dewpider/Wimpod and gets into a fight with Guzma's Golisopod while Misty watches on! Two Water/Bugs at the same time?

Also Team Skull are the only thing left right? Lusamine and Necrozma have been taken care of. Which only leaves Skull right? Might as well bring our boy in at the start/end of the year and set up the final conflict of the SM saga.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Wait I know! Ash catches a Dewpider/Wimpod and gets into a fight with Guzma's Golisopod while Misty watches on! Two Water/Bugs at the same time?

Also Team Skull are the only thing left right? Lusamine and Necrozma have been taken care of. Which only leaves Skull right? Might as well bring our boy in at the start/end of the year and set up the final conflict of the SM saga.
I still feel he'll somehow get caught in the league plot

ShadowForce720

With Eevee confirmed to be going to Lana, the plushie pic i found of an Alolan Vaporeon might be right after all.

It could also be a good opening for Misty to return, and bring a Water Stone to Lana as a gift.

I hate to break the news to you but no, there isn't anyway that there would be a Alolan Vaporeon at this point since the next games are likely gen 8 meaning that any new regional forms introduce in those games won't be called Alolan Forms since they won't be from the Alola region.

Not only that Alolan forms don't keep the exact same typing as their original forms so basically if there was a Alolan Vaporeon even if it kept it's Water typing it wouldn't be a pure Water type it would be some sort of duel type. Basically at this point there really is no chance of that Alolan Vaporeon plush being based off a actual real pokemon. So if Lana does use a Water Stone on her Eevee it's just going to evolve into a normal Vaporeon.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
I don't see Lana's Eevee evolving. It's Eevee that is the face of LGPE promotion, not Vaporeon, which would offer nothing in terms of marketability. I can just see it learning Bouncy Bubble, getting new hairstyles, and probably wearing a couple of outfits to show off the partner Eevee clothing options from the game.

World Turtle

Did some looking into previous late captures (if this was posted already sorry I missed it).

Glalie was caught in AG108 and the Hoenn League was over by AG131 after this Glalie was Oak'd during the BF giving him only 24 episodes on Ash's Team not counting the Pallet Town reunion episode.

Gible was introduced-caught in DP156-157, DP191 was the last episode giving him a total of 36 episodes.

And if I counted correctly we have at most 44 episodes left.

So we still got time for Ash to catch something.

nickdt

Did some looking into previous late captures (if this was posted already sorry I missed it).

Glalie was caught in AG108 and the Hoenn League was over by AG131 after this Glalie was Oak'd during the BF giving him only 24 episodes on Ash's Team not counting the Pallet Town reunion episode.

Gible was introduced-caught in DP156-157, DP191 was the last episode giving him a total of 36 episodes.

And if I counted correctly we have at most 44 episodes left.

So we still got time for Ash to catch something.

At those times however, he already had 5 Pokemon (And with Gible, he already had a full team, since Gliscor was in training and thus counts).

Status
Not open for further replies.