• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

SuN & Moon Upcoming Preview: Rowlet using Z-Move, Grand Trial Battle, etc

TheHumanPokedex

Are people really that surprised that Ash would use multiple Z-Moves? My question is how many Z-Moves is he actually going to use? I dont see him using all 18 of the basic (not counting the ones for specific pokemon) Z-moves but i do see him using at least 6 (1 for each pokemon), while rotating them occasionally.

As for Hala having Hariyama (which appears might be his Ace since its using a Z-move), I have a few reasons why I think they did so. First one is that they want Ash to get Crabrawler so they made Hala have Haryama as ace cause they tend to change some game chracters teams when they want a main character to have a Pokemon that the game character has in the game. For example Korrina didn't have Hawlucha, granted that might have been due to having Mega Lucario and wanting to show it off. Second is that they changed just for the fun of it. Third, maybe Ash will lose against Hala the first time but the second time Hala uses Crabominable and thats his ace.

I'm actually really happy about the Hariyama as I've been wanting them to use evolved form of the game characters pokemon to shutdown any sort of "Reset" argument when it come to Ash and Pikachu

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
So we haven't seen much once more except Ash vs Hala and some things here and there.

And I am still confused in which direction they want to go with this series. Preview once more only showed ONE important scene relevant to the main plot if Ash riding that Pelipper isn't any relevant to Kiawe's trial. Also already to much focus on those Z-Crystals rather than developing Rowlet a decent long time before using a Z-Move already.

Come on, just start the frikking Lillie plot and develop the side characters rather than doing a Ash show without the captains being another Sana, Trevor and Tierno kind of side characters without much of a rivalty going on and Lillie being a non-active important character. We already have a small bit of information today with the photo, but we need some episodes about Lillie's fear and actual role.

Short: The series actually looks way to light hearted in terms of plot(-progression) and characters. In all previous series since AG (yes also BW), there was more going on in the first ten episodes than here in SM. And no real confrontations except Tapu-Riki meeting Ash is weak in the very start of the series.

But hey let's wait until the new years preview comes out.

Last edited:

TheHumanPokedex

So we haven't seen much once more except Ash vs Hala and some things here and there.

And I am still confused in which direction they want to go with this series. Preview once more only showed ONE important scene relevant to the main plot if Ash riding that Pelipper isn't any relevant to Kiawe's trial. Also already to much focus on those Z-Crystals rather than developing Rowlet a decent long time before using a Z-Move already.

Come on, just start the frikking Lillie plot and develop the side characters rather than doing a Ash show without the captains being another Sana, Trevor and Tierno kind of side characters without much of a rivalty going on and Lillie being a non-active important character. We already have a small bit of information today with the photo, but we need some episodes about Lillie's fear and actual role.

Short: The series actually looks way to light hearted in terms of plot(-progression) and characters. In all previous series since AG (yes also BW), there was more going on in the first ten episodes than here in SM. And no real confrontations except Tapu-Riki meeting Ash is weak in the very start of the series.

The SM games did take a while until the ball officially started rolling and maybe the writers are trying to simulate that in the anime

Janovy

Banned

XY's episode record was HIGHLY unbalanced.

You had like 9 non-filler episodes, followed by 7 filler episodes.

SM's episode record is way more balanced, so I prefer SM's approach.

Domok

There's a lot going on in the next few episodes though. Ash is fighting the Totem and Hala,getting more Z Crystals,and catching Litten soon enough. We already gotten Aether hints as well in the latest episode.

Xuxuba

Pretty much.

Don't know why they are dragging so many things, such as the Vulpix egg hatching, Ash catching litten and Ash starting the trials.
XY's episode record was HIGHLY unbalanced.

You had like 9 non-filler episodes, followed by 7 filler episodes.

SM's episode record is way more balanced, so I prefer SM's approach.
"followed by 7 filler episodes"

I can't remember that, when did it happen?

Janovy

Banned
Pretty much.

Don't know why they are dragging so many things, such as the Vulpix egg hatching, Ash catching litten and Ash starting the trials.

"followed by 7 filler episodes"

I can't remember that, when did it happen?
XY012 - Pokemon Smuggler episode
XY013 - Kindergarten/Sylveon ep
XY014 - Espurr episode
XY015 - Chespin runs away from Clemont ep
XY016 - Pichu/Dedenne switch episode

My bad, it was 5 filler episodes. Even though the Chespin capture episode was pure filler except for the capture part.

Remix2

XY014 - Espurr episode

My bad, it was 5 filler episodes. Even though the Chespin capture episode was pure filler except for the capture part.

wait what? By the logic, every episode in this show will be filler beside that one part that is canon.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
XY014 - Espurr episode

But a capture episode can never be a filler lol.

SM1 & 2 were decent, 3 was poor, 4 was good, 5 was decent, 6 was horrible, 7 was disappointing considering Litten wasn't captured, 8 was good. This is how the SM anime has been so far in my opinion.

Anyway, the upcoming episodes look quite good with Ash and his Pokemon using multiple Z-moves.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I think Pikachu's using Breakneck Blitz as well, since while it's charging at Hariyama it's covered with that white veil that signifies Quick Attack.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.

And I am still confused in which direction they want to go with this series. Preview once more only showed ONE important scene relevant to the main plot if Ash riding that Pelipper isn't any relevant to Kiawe's trial.
We'd likely have SM9: Gumshoos
SM10: Hala vs Ash
SM11: Kiawe focus episode. These are not fillers. While Kiawe episode is not important to main story, it's actually good to have character focus episode.

Also already to much focus on those Z-Crystals rather than developing Rowlet a decent long time before using a Z-Move already.
Maybe, Rowlet's training/development will start as he gets Z move, he was sleeping/slacking. Maybe this will wake him up.

Come on, just start the frikking Lillie plot
It's way too early for that. After 3rd or 4th Trial. We still need to see Trial, capture episodes, then: Lillie story.

and develop the side characters
That's what we're getting with that potential Kiawe episode, now Lillie, Lana and Sophocles episode.LOL

We already have a small bit of information today with the photo, but we need some episodes about Lillie's fear and actual role.
That comes later, XY had like 5 fillers straight after New Year. After new year here, we will have like 3 episodes of actual progression. Maybe later Litten, Mallow and Ilima vs Ash episodes.

In 8 episodes, we didn't even have any fillers. Maybe Sophocles episode is only filler.In 11 episodes( counting before NY) in XY we had like 4 fillers.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
We'd likely have SM9: Gumshoos
SM10: Hala vs Ash
SM11: Kiawe focus episode. These are not fillers. While Kiawe episode is not important to main story, it's actually good to have character focus episode.
We still don't know surely that there will a Kiawe focus episode soon or not. We can only speculate that at the moment

Maybe, Rowlet's training/development will start as he gets Z move, he was sleeping/slacking. Maybe this will wake him up.

But Rowlet has hardly gone through training and it is barely a good battler. So getting a Z-move so soon seems a bit rushed.

That comes later, XY had like 5 fillers straight after New Year. After new year here, we will have like 3 episodes of actual progression. Maybe later Litten, Mallow and Ilima vs Ash episodes.

Fair enough, but one thing is that it seems very unlikely that Ilima will appear.

In 8 episodes, we didn't even have any fillers. Maybe Sophocles episode is only filler.In 11 episodes( counting before NY) in XY we had like 4 fillers.
The Lana episode was also very much a filler(though it was quite good). The Sophocles episode was quite boring and full of slapstick.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Character back stories are never filler. End of this discussion.

That episode didn't provide too much insight into Lana's back story.

dman_dustin

Really hope this isn't the preview we'll be getting on the 27th.

By the way, aren't people aware the preview shows scenes that we've already seen. Bewear running on water. Rotom Dex touching Toucannon's beak.

Pretty sure Litten's seen was seen in Litten's episode, so I'm not sure where this "Litten gets an episode soon" is coming from.

Even though the Chespin capture episode was pure filler except for the capture part.

How? The episode centered around Chespin, unlike say when Ash's Phanpy evolved, Phanpy was JUST there in the episode and managed to evolve at the end.
------------------

Preview is nice with the whole Z-moves and Hala battle.

It explained how she got Popplio.

U.N. Owen

It introduced her family, back story with Popplio, and showed her dreams of ocean exploration. Therefore it is not filler.

thiagomestres

XY014 - Espurr episode

The fairy type was introduced to Ash in the Sylveon episode though. A type introduction is just as important as the Z-moves introduction.
i wouldn't call that episode uneventful either, since, if i'm not mistaken, Froakie had his first official battle with Ash against a trainer in that episode

anyway, 4/5 fillers is not that bad if that's the largest amount of fillers in succession throughout the entire series. Other series had way worse and it's too soon to say S&M won't have it either that is for sure.

Yeah but in compensation Ash started his badge quest way earlier than he's starting his trial quest.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
It introduced her family, back story with Popplio, and showed her dreams of ocean exploration. Therefore it is not filler.

Still, it didn't provide as much insight into Lana's back story as SM8 did about Lillie's back story. But anyway I agree that the Lana episode was pretty good.

U.N. Owen

Still, it didn't provide as much insight into Lana's back story as SM8 did about Lillie's back story. But anyway I agree that the Lana episode was pretty good.

Not giving enough backstory =/= filler. You can go debate this on he non filler list thread if you wish.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
SM1 & 2 were decent, 3 was poor, 4 was good, 5 was decent, 6 was horrible, 7 was disappointing considering Litten wasn't captured, 8 was good.

IMO, SM 1= Good
SM2=Great/second best
SM3= bad/second worst
SM4=second best so far
SM5= ok
SM6=the worst one so far
SM7=decent
SM8: The best one so far.

So getting a Z-move so soon seems a bit rushed.
Yeah, but still his development could start here. When he gets Z move, he'd be like: I am gonna start training, less nappin' more gappin'.

The Lana episode was also very much a filler(though it was quite good). The Sophocles episode was quite boring and full of slapstick.
Agreed with Sophocles and disagreed with Lana. I think it was non-filler. Popplio trying to learn that 'move'. Little backstory for Lana and Popplio.

Yeah but in compensation Ash started his badge quest way earlier than he's starting his trial quest.
Yeah, but we still got character development instead of fillers. I'd agree that Trial episodes>>character episodes. But still those are still better than boring fillers that we got in XY, BW, DP, Johto.