• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

SuN & Moon Upcoming Preview: Rowlet using Z-Move, Grand Trial Battle, etc

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
It'd be funny if the school thing was the entire series with Ash using the riding Pokemon to get to the different islands for their challenge while still staying in school to graduate.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
That was definitely Breakneck Blitz Pikachu was using. Ash performed the dance for the Normal type Z-Move. That makes me wonder from whom he received the Normalium-Z. Is Ilima going to appear after all, or is someone else (Hala, Professor Kukui, whoever) going to take his place and give Ash the Normalium-Z?

I really like the idea of a single Pokémon being capable of using multiple Z-Moves of different types, and it makes sense, since it appears Pokémon don't have to be holding a Z-Crystal in order to use a Z-Move in the anime. It could really make battles far more interesting to watch. I just hope that actually happens.

I demand that Pelipper Poke Ride in-game!!!

All kidding aside, I wonder if we actually see some other non-game Poke Ride in the series. That is actually pretty adorable to think about. Also, I'm not sure how far the preview showed in terms of episodes, but it seems like Ash will have Rowlet and Pikachu in his team until Hakuna Hala's Grand Trial. The hype is so real I can't even!!!

I would really like to see non-game Ride Pokémon in the series, as well. It makes such perfect sense that any Pokémon large and strong enough to carry a human passenger can be used as a Ride Pokémon. I hope the anime staff take advantage of that opportunity.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
That was definitely Breakneck Blitz Pikachu was using. Ash performed the dance for the Normal type Z-Move. That makes me wonder from whom he received the Normalium-Z. Is Ilima going to appear after all, or is someone else (Hala, Professor Kukui, whoever) going to take his place and give Ash the Normalium-Z?

I really like the idea of a single Pokémon being capable of using multiple Z-Moves of different types, and it makes sense, since it appears Pokémon don't have to be holding a Z-Crystal in order to use a Z-Move in the anime. It could really make battles far more interesting to watch. I just hope that actually happens.

I would really like to see non-game Ride Pokémon in the series, as well. It makes such perfect sense that any Pokémon large and strong enough to carry a human passenger can be used as a Ride Pokémon. I hope the anime staff take advantage of that opportunity.

We've already seen Wailmer as a ride Pokemon. I'm hoping for many more (also for Machamp to give piggybacks as opposed to carrying people lovingly).

DS0308

<--- Actually me
Nah,it isn't Breakthrough Blitz with Rowlet. You can clearly see a green aura forming around Rowlet as he's about to fly up. Unless Breakthrough blitz changes color with the type of the Pokemon using it which would be odd.

The only thing I can say was that I wasn't really paying attention to the pose Ash was going for as well so I couldn't tell exactly what was happening. Would need to check again.

But it's still odd that he gets Grassium Z way before he "should".

EDIT: I watched it again and it looked like a standard Ash pose at the end, unless that's actually what Grass-type Z Moves end with. I don't tend to use that type in-game but off the top of my head it isn't?

I really have no clue now. I've confused myself.

Last edited:

thiagomestres

One thing I don't think has been thought about is why Ash has Grassium Z in this preview when you aren't supposed to get it until basically the end of Akala in the games. Obviously games =/= anime as we all know but it is curious, makes me think about what's going to happen with that trial now. I do want to have a bit of skepticism for the above reasons about it being Bloom Doom and it's rather just Ash using Breakneck Blitz twice, I can't seem to recall seeing the Z-Crystal during Rowlet's scene.

If we're getting into a discussion on the school and it's role in the series all that's come from it so far is that it gave Ash his supporting characters/"traveling" companions and made him stay in the one spot. People thought it would have a bigger role than it has just because of how it was marketed tbh.

My guess is that he isn't going to get that Z-crystal from a trial. I guess the anime will only have the Grand Trials and the totem battles, since it doesn't seem like Illima is appearing nor it seems like his classmates are actually captains.

NegaiFreak

Plus Ultra!
We don't know for sure if that's Grassium Z at all even. Yes, games=/=anime, but giving Rowlet Bloom Doom now would seem a little over the top, don't you think?

More importantly, Ash needs to learn to harness his Z-Moves one at a time rather than go all willy-nilly with each of them. Normalium Z may not be useful, but it can certainly pack a punch when used in the right situation.

Seeing as it's his ONLY Z-Crystal by the time he goes up against Hala, he doesn't really have any other options. And hey, he's not limiting Z-Moves to just Pikachu, which I was afraid he was going to do.

The only question now is what's he gonna do when he gets more of the Z-Crystals? He's gonna have to be careful about storing them away when he's got Rowlet currently in his bag.

Navin

MALDREAD
I mean, if the anime is going to introduce the school/SOL element, then it might as well go all the way with it instead of making it brief like the DP camp arc.

It seems they're going for the more energetic aspects of Ash (and accentuating that element) while still retaining his battle skills. So far it has been decent.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
The only question now is what's he gonna do when he gets more of the Z-Crystals? He's gonna have to be careful about storing them away when he's got Rowlet currently in his bag.

I assume Ash is going to put the Z-Crystals in their slots on his Z-Ring. The Z-Ring does have slots for multiple Z-Crystals.

Banana Knight Arthur

NEGATIVE MINUS
I have a bit of skepticism for the above reasons about it being Bloom Doom and it's rather just Ash using Breakneck Blitz twice, I can't seem to recall seeing the Z-Crystal during Rowlet's scene.

Look closely at the 22 second mark frame by frame.

The Crystal on top of Ash's Z-ring is glowing green.....Grassium-Z for Ash confirmed

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Look closely at the 22 second mark frame by frame.

The Crystal on top of Ash's Z-ring is glowing green.....Grassium-Z for Ash confirmed

Actually, that doesn't look too different from the glow the Z-Ring gave off when Ash and Pikachu used Gigavolt Havoc in SM02. There are more turquoise sparks than yellow sparks, but then again, Gigavolt Havoc was used in an Electric Terrain-boosted field, so there were yellow overtones over everything.

ShadowForce720

Actually, that doesn't look too different from the glow the Z-Ring gave off when Ash and Pikachu used Gigavolt Havoc in SM02. There are more turquoise sparks than yellow sparks, but then again, Gigavolt Havoc was used in an Electric Terrain-boosted field, so there were yellow overtones over everything.

You know this is just a thought but maybe he doesn't have Grassium-Z yet and he's using Normalium-Z for both Pikachu and Rowlet because when you think about it they both have Normal type moves so there both able to use Noramlium-Z.

Banana Knight Arthur

NEGATIVE MINUS

Double Checked....you're right.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
You know this is just a thought but maybe he doesn't have Grassium-Z yet and he's using Normalium-Z for both Pikachu and Rowlet because when you think about it they both have Normal type moves so there both able to use Noramlium-Z.

That's what I think, as well - Ash has only earned Normalium-Z by this point and is using that for both Pikachu and Rowlet. Pikachu has Quick Attack and Rowlet has Tackle, both of which are Normal type moves. They can both use Normalium-Z.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
That's what I think, as well - Ash has only earned Normalium-Z by this point and is using that for both Pikachu and Rowlet. Pikachu has Quick Attack and Rowlet has Tackle, both of which are Normal type moves. They can both use Normalium-Z.

Well, I guess that is a possibility. So both Rowlet and Pikachu are probably using the Normal type Z-move Breakneck Blitz.

i2i

Big Bad Wolf

Another possibility that I'm surprise no one else thought of yet is Ash optioning the Flyinium-Z and using it with Rowlet since that Z-Crystel is found on Melemele Island in-game.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Another possibility that I'm surprise no one else thought of yet is Ash optioning the Flyinium-Z and using it with Rowlet since that Z-Crystel is found on Melemele Island in-game.

But the closest tutor for Supersonic Skystrike would be Kahili who doesn't make an in-game appearance until the League. I guess she could make an appearance in Hano Grand Resort, but that's on Akala.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
XY's episode record was HIGHLY unbalanced.

You had like 9 non-filler episodes, followed by 7 filler episodes.

SM's episode record is way more balanced, so I prefer SM's approach.

XY's eoisode record was unbalanced until the second gym. After that it was decent until the fourth gym and after that it was balanced until to the end of the series. Also comparing XY's sixteen episodes with SM's eight currently aired episodes is dumb. XY's first nine only had 1 filler, while SM also had one filler earlier. That shouldn't even be a problem, if the first episode actually had something going on in terms of porgression and characters. In XY, the Lumiose incident happened with Clemont and Bonnie getting involved right from the start, Serena got a chunk of screentime, Ash got his first badge with the whole Ash and Serena involvment, her backstory with Ash, Clemont's past and three captures, while all we#ve got in SM right now was some Skull vs Kiawe, two captures, Tapu-Riki, some character introduction episodes, the Litten one without a capture, Lillie's episode and the trial.

The episodes were too empty of actual confrontations. Lillie'e episode was nice as well as Rowlet's one but the main problem here is, that the captains also got some episodes while probably not being really important to the plot except battling Ash later on, so pretty much being Brocks right now. If they are ment to be main protagonist, then we have the problem of to many protagonists. All need character development and that needs a big chunk of time. And we already have some pacing issues because of that. And that slowness already in the start of the series is a bad sign.

XY012 - Pokemon Smuggler episode
XY013 - Kindergarten/Sylveon ep
XY014 - Espurr episode
XY015 - Chespin runs away from Clemont ep
XY016 - Pichu/Dedenne switch episode

My bad, it was 5 filler episodes. Even though the Chespin capture episode was pure filler except for the capture part.

XY15 was non essential non filler because Chespin activated Overgrown. Also XY10 episode was not a filler because there was a capture in it as well as ClemontXChespin bonding moments. Based on what you've said, then the Litten epsiode also should've been a filler because they only showed some Litten and Ash moments but without a capture.

Please no, the school thing is one of the best things about the series so far. I'd rather not go back to the ways of Johto-XYZ especially with the fillers.

XY and especially XYZ was one of the series if not THE series with the lowest amount of fillers. So I can't see what you're talking about. I also won't put XYZ on the same level as Johto.

Id hate for them to introduce a new status quo after 20 years, only to break it within 10 episodes.

I kinda want at least 30 episodes of school life, and it should not be too hard between Litten's arc, a possible third capture, and a couple development episodes for the rest.

Depends on how they'll handle the school life until then. Because it is new, it doesn't automatically mean it's good or better than previous things. A machine kicking you in the nuts is also innovative, but not good.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Seems like Tapu Koko might end up giving Ash the next Z-crystal or something since he appears again, and he was the one who gave him the first one.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
But the closest tutor for Supersonic Skystrike would be Kahili who doesn't make an in-game appearance until the League. I guess she could make an appearance in Hano Grand Resort, but that's on Akala.
They could always do an episode where Ash meets her on Melemele Island. They don't have to be 100% accurate with the games, after all.

I like the possibility of it being Flyinium Z, but there's nothing really indicating that's what it is. But I don't think it's Bloom Doom either, because to my understanding, Ash shouldn't be able to use it at all. If he can't use Gigavolt Havoc, why should he be able to use Bloom Doom? Breakneck Blitz I can understand, since he's probably going to beat Totem Gumshoos in the next episode and get Hala's blessing or something.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I saw the preview multiple times recently and I'm thinking about one thing. Did Rowlet really use a Z-move? We saw Rowlet's body glowing with energy. That can be some other move as well. I'm not quite sure that Rowlet is using a Z-move.

Last edited: