1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Sun/Moon vs US/UM

Discussion in 'Pokémon - Generation VII Discussion' started by LeoMessi10, Jul 11, 2018.

1. LeoMessi10

LeoMessi10 New Member

So I have never played a Gen 7 game as of yet, but I was wondering if anyone could help me by explaining the difference between the original S/M and US/UM. Is US/UM a traditionally “enhanced third game” with the same characters and more or less similar plot, or is there enough of a difference to make one also buy Moon in addition to Ultra Moon?

2. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon have far more in common with traditional third versions, despite being another pair of games.

If you have yet to play any Generation VII game, skip Moon and go straight to Ultra Moon. You'll lose nothing for it save some duplicate one-off rare Pokémon.

3. Silent_Jay

Silent_Jay Member

The Ultra games are more like a third version game and IMO far superior to the original S/M games. So if you're going to get one I recommend skipping S/M and going straight for either US/UM. However if you plan on getting 2 games I recommend getting 1 of each opposite pair. (e.g. Sun and Ultra Moon. Moon and Ultra Sun). As much as US/UM overall are better games there is a portion of the S/M story that was changed that would be a shame not to experience at least once. Plus you can get all the exclusives (e.g. Solgaleo and Lunala), or at least of the one not added to the Ultra games, without the need to trade. I don't get the players who got Moon the first time then insisted on Ultra Moon lol.