1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Sun/Moon vs US/UM

Discussion in 'Pokémon - Generation VII Discussion' started by LeoMessi10, Jul 11, 2018.

1. LeoMessi10

LeoMessi10 Member

So I have never played a Gen 7 game as of yet, but I was wondering if anyone could help me by explaining the difference between the original S/M and US/UM. Is US/UM a traditionally “enhanced third game” with the same characters and more or less similar plot, or is there enough of a difference to make one also buy Moon in addition to Ultra Moon?

2. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon have far more in common with traditional third versions, despite being another pair of games.

If you have yet to play any Generation VII game, skip Moon and go straight to Ultra Moon. You'll lose nothing for it save some duplicate one-off rare Pokémon.

3. Silent_Jay

Silent_Jay Well-Known Member

The Ultra games are more like a third version game and IMO far superior to the original S/M games. So if you're going to get one I recommend skipping S/M and going straight for either US/UM. However if you plan on getting 2 games I recommend getting 1 of each opposite pair. (e.g. Sun and Ultra Moon. Moon and Ultra Sun). As much as US/UM overall are better games there is a portion of the S/M story that was changed that would be a shame not to experience at least once. Plus you can get all the exclusives (e.g. Solgaleo and Lunala), or at least of the one not added to the Ultra games, without the need to trade. I don't get the players who got Moon the first time then insisted on Ultra Moon lol.

4. Zhydra

Zhydra Master of Chaos!

I'm guilty of that sin. I have both UM and M, while I find UM to be better in every aspect. (Including the overall story though my opinion is not very popular on these forums!)

S/M is if you want the Lillie focus. US/UM trades that focus for more characters being expanded upon that made things in S/M much clearer or generally expanded for the better. Better gameplay, a better Climax boss with Ultra Necrozma, better post game and a better wrapped up closure to the overall plot. (S/M ended with me wanting more, US/UM gave me an ending I was satisfied with once the post game was explored.)
    You are not missing much with S/M if you go straight to US/UM since Youtube can show you the differences.

5. Silent_Jay

Silent_Jay Well-Known Member

I think the only thing I really miss about S/M original plot was the
    Lusamine/Nihilego battle in Ultra Space
    . Though I agree the overall plot was better in US/UM, if they had managed to squeeze that in there too it would of been awesome. I guess in a way the ending of S/M is the alternate bad scenario ending whilst the ending of US/UM is the final good scenario ending.

6. Zhydra

Zhydra Master of Chaos!

True, but Mother Beast Lusamine was a disappointment in that you DON'T even fight her, just her pokemon. Which from memory serves, not a single one of her pokemon were able to beat mine... and mine were only ahead of hers by a couple levels.(At least they did THAT in the anime.)

At least with Ultra Necrozma, despite how he was a looming threat rather than an active one, you get to actually fight him. That and since Lusamine in US/UM didn't have that Nihilego thing going on, there was no way they were going to rehash it.

In regard to what you said about the ending scenario... It is less that S/M had the bad ending and more that it's ending wasn't complete.

7. Kage-Pikachu

Kage-Pikachu Well-Known Member

One of the main differencea between S/M and US/UM is the main antagonist, the former has a human main antagonist and the latter has a Pokemon as the main antagonist. I actually like the story elements of Pokemon Sun and Moon better but the additional features in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon make for a better experience in my opinion.

I would recommend US/UM and then simply youtubing the differences instead of buying both games.

8. LeoMessi10

LeoMessi10 Member

Thanks for all your feedback guys, I'm currently 30 hours into Ultra Moon and it's going really, really good!

Kage-Pikachu likes this.
  9. Kage-Pikachu

30 Hours! lol, I had to look at the date of the thread to realize I was 8 days late.

LeoMessi10 likes this.
  10. LeoMessi10

LeoMessi10 Member

Haha, yeah, the very next day after posting this thread I went ahead and bought Ultra Moon, I couldn't wait. See, I had become completely disenchanted with Pokemon and hadn't bought a Pokemon game for 5 years, my last game being Y version in 2013. But just earlier this year I decided to replay Explorers of Sky, one of my favourite games of all time, for a little nostalgia trip and that's what got me back into it. A few weeks ago I picked up Omega Ruby and now I'm playing UM, and I can't even remember what my reason for ever stopping was anymore!

Kage-Pikachu likes this.
  11. Kage-Pikachu

Well I'm glad your love for the series was reignited! I've been playing and replaying these games since Red and Blue and I always look forward to the next release. I often replay my classic games too to remind myself why I got into these games in the first place (especially Sonic).

12. Storm the Lycanroc

Storm the Lycanroc Well-Known Member

Comparing the two different iterations I'd say SM felt incomplete. Felt like it had certain parts and features missing, my guess is they wanted to release something in 2016 to celebrate the 20th anniversary.

USUM feels more complete because it fills in those missing features. The story in SM felt more like Lilly's adventure, not mine. USUM improved the story slightly by giving you more focus and the battle with Ultra Necrozma was a satisfying ending.

I've even sold my copies of Sun and Moon because I see no reason to ever play them again.

Deadeye and Zhydra like this.
  13. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

To me US/UM feels more complete than S/M since it has extra features and Pokemon, although the downside of US/UM is the strange leveling curve around the time of the Dragon trial and Necrozma subplot. Things get unexpectedly tougher during that period.

Zhydra likes this.
  14. Ariki

Ariki Well-Known Member

For me, Sun and Moon have a superior plot, while Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon have a better “ending”. However the climax of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon is epic and invokes a very powerful trope to great effect.

Sun and Moon left me wanting more, while Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon left me feeling satisfied with explanations to most mysteries in Sun and Moon.

If you can afford to, get Sun once you finish Ultra Moon. It’ll be like playing Ultra Moon in an alternate universe on the other side of an Ultra Wormhole...

Zhydra likes this.