• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sun & Moon will be switching timeslots to Sunday 6PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphen

Ain't bitter
I mean, they are surely aware what they are up against, right? They wouldn't jeopardize the most major advertising method of the franchise themselves right? It doesn't make sense

Is it possible that they will somehow up the standards of the anime to compete better?

And BTW can someone fill me in what Iwane said about there being a new season?

Last edited:

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
There is one point i would like to make.

The "Yu-Gi-Oh" anime series used to air at the Sunday 5:30 PM slot on TV-Tokyo until last year.
It shifted to that time-slot during the Season 2 of the "Zexal Saga" (during October 2012), and was running at that time until the end of the "Arc-V Saga" (March 2017). Now it airs at Wednesday 6:30 PM slot, since May 2017 (its old airing timing from October 2002 to March 2011).

While i don't remember the reason behind its change to Sunday time-slot (it had changed its airing time-slot a few times over the years).
But from what i heard, the main reason for moving back to the Wednesday time-slot from the Sunday, was because of "loss in viewership" (and budget issue).

While "Yu-Gi-Oh" anime series isn't as big as the "Pokemon" anime series, but its still a old and iconic series (and it ended up suffering viewership loss at around that time-slot).

Musapion

Boulder Trainer
[I'm just copying and pasting my off-site opinions, BUT]
I’ve had more time to think about it, and I think this could even help the Pokemon anime.

On one hand, it’s a huuuuge franchise, so even if the anime isn’t massively successful, it’d be the weakest part of something huge, so it could still have enough funding to be kept on, especially with how we’ve only gotten budget increases from series to series–it’s probably gonna stay at SuMo’s quality, which is already great, or if it DOES drop back, it’d what, drop to XY quality?

Slightly more limited animation could let them focus on art style again and the majority of the fans seem to appreciate style over fluidity, so either works!

But the other thing I thought about was if the money-driven higher-ups no longer care, get this, they might just interfere less with the plot! Maybe the writers will have more free reign, if they truly “don’t care about the anime anymore,” maybe it’ll give more power to those on board who do love and care about the characters and plot to just do what they and a lot of fans want, we might get more older characters (since the likes of Iwane-san and Shinohara-san are nostalgic and clearly express wanting to see them in series again…), etc.

And yeah, Pokemon and Satoshi could still have a place, they’ve achieved their own little timelessness of sorts, with the soft-reboot-like starts and the greater focus on episodic adventures, friendships, etc. ;3; I forget who said it, someone on the cast (was it his own seiyuu? Or perhaps Shoko-tan who grew up with Pokemon?) that he was like a cool older brother or a peer that gets to go on adventures and be a hero to kids in the audience, then more like a dear little brother you can watch with fond nostalgia to older fans… he can serve that kind of purpose.

Maruko-chan is huge, but mostly in Asia! Pokemon is a world-wide thing, even if the anime isn’t as widespread as it once was, it’s still got more of an international following.

For these reasons, it could still have a pretty good chance, even if it's a modest domestic success, it would still be a reliably successful worldwide. All we need to count on is that it continues to appeal to the target demographic and doesn't hurt itself aiming at a periphery audience to the exclusion of the target age group (as XY did).

Iwane-san has been expressing since late Best Wishes! that he wanted Shinji/Paul to reappear again--a drawing of him, fully-coloured, in the modern art style, is his twitter banner. He also has been drawing a LOT of old characters, in colour, just out of love for the series... he's also drawn Iris in her Champion dress saying he'd like for her to reappear in the anime in it. Shinohara Takashi has drawn many beautiful, dynamic, and coloured drawings illustrating the episodes he worked on when he joined during the Best Wishes! era.

On the level of writers, animators... the Pokemon series and characters are loved by a good number of them. It's on the corporate level that it's viewed as a show meant to sell games and merchandise alone. Corporate interferance led to things like Best Wishes! plot getting weirdly derailed a bit in the second season to advertise B2W2, sequel games no one really expected, when they were clearly originally headed to battle Drayden and have Iris' plotline wrapped up then too, but then Roxie happened and the return to the Village of Dragons was delayed, etc.

Even huge gaffes like the GS Ball which still embarrassed writers was caused by corporate types being like "Celebi's in that thing? It's better for marketing if you put it in a movie, drop that plot."

The 20th movie was originally going to have an all-star cast of Ash's old companions (or at least, this is one of the ideas Yuyama talked about), but they didn't think they could make it work (one movie, Ash's many, many, many friends... obviously, a whole bunch will end up with very little plot relevant things to do or barely get any lines or screentime and upset fans, etc.), so, they expressed an openness to the idea of bringing back old companions in show [especially after teasing Kasumi's/Misty's return and then, we got that little Kanto field trip!] later on...

This could be their lucky chance if the corporate types really don't care what they do on the show anymore.

Last edited:

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
But the thing is, if it ever comes to the point that the corporate higher ups don't care about the show, won't that just mean that the anime isn't profitable anymore? Then why would they let the anime continue? Cause I really doubt that if it ever comes to the point that the corporate higher ups don't care about the anime, that they would simply say to the writers 'oh, do what you want'.

Last edited:

04n70n10

Who knows, I really don't know the particular "dynamics" of japanese TV, IMHO (most) probably they take in account a loss of views but, maybe, they also think that Boruto and Pokémon could "hold better the line" in that timeslot (I don't know if this will be true or not). After all Pokemon and Boruto (/Naruto) are still recognizable shows, not at their pinnacle but part of old-running franchises/sagas. This is in some sense in line with their official statement on this matter, namely "TV Tokyo wanting to strengthen (aka ....try to defend better...?) their Sunday primetime family show lineup". So I think is more a matter of ""TV stategy"" than anything else.

Non really good obviously, indeed, in other words they sacrifice these shows in an uncomfortable position.

Last edited:
Personally I'm happy for the chance of the anime either ending or them going back to the older style realizing SUMO wasn't such a big hit. (By that I mean eventually it just became like any other series and the ratings went down.) Now it could be argued the SUMO style could stay due to the family vibe and the family target they want BUT what is a bit weird is a shonen like Boruto is being aimed for the same demo. So Pokemon could easily go back to the older style and still fit into the weird family demo they want.

THAT or what I'd be fine with personally is the anime just ending. IMO the anime lost it's magic after DP. The series just didn't have that flow it used to have and in a way felt like the last episode of DP was a series finale since they went out of the way to not connect it to the past series till they got to Nimabasa which was like in the 40s. Now Pokemon could end for a few months to a few years before coming back with a new lead and fresh style. I would not even be shocked if SUMO ended prematurely and went just got the new movie before maybe a new series for Gen 8.

I know I'd feel more negatively about this time change if I was more invested in the anime but sadly I have not been into it much since the Sinnoh era. With that said if this move makes them stop and think about Pokemon differently I say good.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Now it could be argued the SUMO style could stay due to the family vibe and the family target they want BUT what is a bit weird is a shonen like Boruto is being aimed for the same demo. So Pokemon could easily go back to the older style and still fit into the weird family demo they want.

Again, Pokemon has always been a family show. Pokemon and Boruto are already airing in "family anime" timeslots. The show is not switching demographics with this move.

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
Everyone needs to calm down.

In this era of DVRs, On Demand, and especially streaming video, timeslots barely mean anything.

Also, Chibi Muroko-chan and/or Sazae-san are NOT as big a threat as some people are making them out to be. Heck, from what I've heard they kind of suck. Pokemon & Boruto are likely to bowl them over.

My concern is that making the Show more "family oriented" will mean that every series afterward will be as meh as much of SM has been...<_<

.er: 374286"]Everyone needs to calm down.

In this era of DVRs, On Demand, and especially streaming video, timeslots barely mean anything.

Also, Chibi Muroko-chan and/or Sazae-san are NOT as big a threat as some people are making them out to be. Heck, from what I've heard they kind of suck. Pokemon & Boruto are likely to bowl them over.

My concern is that making the Show more "family oriented" will mean that every series afterward will be as meh as much of SM has been...<_<[/QUOTE]

I blame a lot of SUMO's anime issues on the games. It was the first time they broke the typical formula and that likely hurt the writing since they were so used to the journeying,gyms and evil team. I mean trial captains really don't do anything in the game and even if Kahunas are seen as gym leaders there were only 4 so that is like cutting down half of a gen's gyms. Also Team Skull is more gag and even Aether is not really an "evil" team. So I can kinda see why the anime is a mess.

Hopefully if the Gen 8 games try something new again this time the writers will be ready

Henry's Journey

Everyone needs to calm down.

I don't know if this post to be sarcastic or not? are you being serious? quality has nothing to do with it, Sazae-san and Chibi Maruko-chan are HUGE shows and if you didn't know Boruto hasn't appeared once in the top 10 most watched shows, Sun & Moon is the #1 most watched anime on TV Tokyo but it's far from the heights of those two juggernauts in terms of ratings, yes they're boring, suckish traditional anime but they're big in Japan.

I hope Pokemon survives this death slot/sentence and proves it can compete against Maruko-chan, time will tell.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
I'm beginning to wonder if the animé could be looking at a more international focus in the near future. While Sazae-san and Chibi Maruko-chan are both highly popular in Japan, I would never have heard of them had I not started checking out the top ten ratings on animenewsnetwork, which tells me that they're not that well known outside of Japan and/or Asia. Pokémon, on the other hand, is known all around the world, and has a huge following if the rest of the world is counted. Also, there seems to be a disconnect from the audiences in Japan versus the rest of the world regarding the last two series of Pokémon, with many around the world loving XY(Z) while the series was only sporadically in the top ten by the end of XYZ whereas many around the world didn't like the Sun and Moon animé, though it got higher numerical ratings in Japan and has been until very recently routinely comfortably in the top ten. I also remember reading that merchandising sales for Pokémon fell a bit during the XY(Z) saga, though I don't know what the sales have been like for Sun and Moon merchandise compared to XY(Z). Personally, I think the animé could survive the loss of ratings in Japan if it gains in ratings around the rest of the world. And that is before taking into account merchandising sales, which is part of what the animé is meant to promote anyway. The only issue I see is that the manga seems to generate more revenue than the animé box office, though the wikipedia entry I read didn't specify whether or not the animé box office revenue was due to the movies only or included the animé. If it was the former, then I wouldn't be too worried about the animé. And there is always the fact that the animé promotes the sale of the various Pokémon merchandise.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
So will the anime be cancelled?

TV shows (as in weekly episodes) are dying in the West (US, UK etc) because streaming services like Netflix just upload all the episodes at once and it can be viewed whenever.

Does Japan have streaming services and are they as prevalent? Will Pokémon move to streaming?

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Yeah, can we stop it with arguments of the "I haven't personally heard of these shows, so they're probably not that popular" kind, please? If you don't live in Japan and won't be watching live on TV, what you have and haven't heard of is entirely irrelevant. You're not part of the audience.

It's like arguing the Superbowl is some irrelevant niche broadcast because most of the world couldn't care less when it's airing.

Also, there seems to be a disconnect from the audiences in Japan versus the rest of the world regarding the last two series of Pokémon,

This is nonsense, and I have no idea where it's coming from. XY was much better received in Japan than SM was.

Last edited:

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
This is nonsense, and I have no idea where it's coming from. XY was much better received in Japan than SM was.

The ratings of the end of XYZ vs. the beginning of Sun and Moon would indicate otherwise, especially since there have been some episodes not too long ago that managed to reach into the fours and until recently, Sun and Moon was recently comfortably in the top 10, whereas, for XYZ, its appearance in the top ten was sporadic, even during the Kalos League. The series seemed to get a bump in ratings as Sun and Moon came out, and it kept that bump for quite a while. I think one of the return of Brock and Misty episodes reached into the fours, with maybe even a later episode or two reaching it as well, I can't remember. It's only been recent that the Sun and Moon ratings seem to have dropped off to around XYZ levels. It will be interesting to see how SM 89 and SM 90 do since they'll be the last two episodes before the timeslot switch and see if the drop off recently is an aberration or was the start of a trend.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
The ratings of the end of XYZ vs. the beginning of Sun and Moon would indicate otherwise, especially since there have been some episodes not too long ago that managed to reach into the fours and until recently, Sun and Moon was recently comfortably in the top 10, whereas, for XYZ, its appearance in the top ten was sporadic, even during the Kalos League. The series seemed to get a bump in ratings as Sun and Moon came out, and it kept that bump for quite a while. I think one of the return of Brock and Misty episodes reached into the fours, with maybe even a later episode or two reaching it as well, I can't remember. It's only been recent that the Sun and Moon ratings seem to have dropped off to around XYZ levels. It will be interesting to see how SM 89 and SM 90 do since they'll be the last two episodes before the timeslot switch and see if the drop off recently is an aberration or was the start of a trend.

Well even XYZ had a fair bit of episodes reaching into the fours, such as episodes 97, 98, 100, 111, 112, 113. The fall in ratings seemed to be mainly limited during the Kalos League, and again, once the Team Flare arc started, all the TF episodes were in the top 10. The point is that eventhough Sun and Moon might be in the top 10 more frequently, it does so with ratings similar or hardly any higher than XYZ, and with significantly worse off ratings than XY.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
So maybe someone can answer this for me, do pokemon and those other two big shows have the same fan base?? I'm just curious how it works in Japan.

For instance, here in America, a show like Supergirl and a show like Dancing with the Stars airs at the same time so you can't watch both live if you're a fan of both. Is that the case with pokemon and these other two shows.

From what I read about the two other shows, they seem to be more family shows, where as pokemon is more of a kids show, I don't see many adults watching it with their kids.

I guess it'll depend on what kids wanna watch more. Since they've never had to choose between pokemon and the other shows, some kids might opt to watch pokemon instead, it remains to be seen.

Also is DVR a thing in Japan?? Cuz that would solve the issue right there, watch one live, record the other and both shows still get the ratings.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Reminder:

"Ratings" nonsense is still not allowed. Individual live viewership for TV shows in general has been constantly declining all over the line because the very act of watching live television has been declining. Any given show's decrease in ratings over the years has nothing to do with that given show's sinking popularity or whatever people are trying to act like it means.

This is not a topic for discussion and has been banned here for years.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang

Really? I'm so happy to read this. Makes me hopeful, they'll aim a bit more on XY's style (or maybe just bring back Yajima) come next series.

Do you happen to know the reasons, Dephender?

Status
Not open for further replies.