• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sun & Moon will be switching timeslots to Sunday 6PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
BTW, will the pokenchi and oha shuta previews stay the same? If so, that means we'll get the oha shuta previews first, right?

We don'tknow. It looks like Oha Suta is going to keep Thursday as their Pokemon Day, though.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Twitter is still mostly teens and adults, and Pokémon is aimed at children below Twitter's demographics.
Actually this is a flat-out false statement and a horrendous misconception in the fandom. Pokémon is and always has been a franchise with ageless appeal. Pokémon is a kid friendly show and kids happen to be the majority of Pokémon’s fanbase (though in general the fanbase has been getting older over the years since fewer and fewer young new fans join Pokémon with each new gen), but that doesn’t mean that Pokémon was ever only targeted at kids (and yes there is a big difference between the 2).

Honestly it’s quite pathetic when people try to dismiss negative criticism at the show irrespective of the validity of that criticism by basically saying that “lol all of your criticisms are invalid by default because you’re not 7 - 14” rather than actually offering a proper refutation.

Alright then let’s play; the proposition that many of you over here would assert as true is that “those in charge of Pokémon do not value the viewpoints of fans of the franchise (and in particular the anime) who are beyond a certain age range (let’s say that this is approx early teens)”. I am personally going to make a thread (probably in slightly over a week from now) that destroys this BS notion as well as explains when the point that Pokémon is a kid friendly show can and cannot be used as a legitimate refutation for a given criticism, and just like with my A-G thread, anyone who has a problem with my stance is free to challenge my arguments in that thread.

Frankly I’m just sick and tired of reading this non-argument excuse.

mockingjay

swift and lol
Actually this is a flat-out false statement and a horrendous misconception in the fandom. Pokémon is and always has been a franchise with ageless appeal. Pokémon is a kid friendly show and kids happen to be the majority of Pokémon’s fanbase (though in general the fanbase has been getting older over the years since fewer and fewer young new fans join Pokémon with each new gen), but that doesn’t mean that Pokémon was ever only targeted at kids (and yes there is a big difference between the 2).

Honestly it’s quite pathetic when people try to dismiss negative criticism at the show irrespective of the validity of that criticism by basically saying that “lol all of your criticisms are invalid by default because you’re not 7 - 14” rather than actually offering a proper refutation.

Alright then let’s play; the proposition that many of you over here would assert as true is that “those in charge of Pokémon do not value the viewpoints of fans of the franchise (and in particular the anime) who are beyond a certain age range (let’s say that this is approx early teens)”. I am personally going to make a thread (probably in slightly over a week from now) that destroys this BS notion as well as explains when the point that Pokémon is a kid friendly show can and cannot be used as a legitimate refutation for a given criticism, and just like with my A-G thread, anyone who has a problem with my stance is free to challenge my arguments in that thread.

Frankly I’m just sick and tired of reading this non-argument excuse.

You're completely misinterpreting what those posters are saying.

The bulk of the live viewing audience for Pokemon has always been younger children - and they will always remain the main demographic and focus for the show creators.

Epicocity

The bulk of the live viewing audience for Pokemon has always been younger children - and they will always remain the main demographic and focus for the show creators.
I don't think that's @Genaller problem. I think what he's saying is that just because they're not the target demographic doesn't mean their own criticism means nothing. I mean, if it's criticism like "Make this more edgy and age Ash up to his 20s!" then yeah, that's the kind of criticism that should be discounted. If it's something that's feasible within the realm of a children's show or whatnot, then just because it's someone older shouldn't mean that criticism is invalidated, especially since many children can't think quite on that level of criticism beyond "I like it" or "I don't like it". Let's also remember that it's not like kids are the ones writing the show...

Genaller

Silver Soul

No I seem to be “interpreting” just fine. Yup since kids are the bulk of Pokémon’s audience Pokémon is and always will be a kid friendly franchise. You (and many others apparently) are the ones grossly misinterpreting if you believe kid friendly = exclusively focused on appeasing kids and no one else which you would have to believe if you think that it’s acceptable reasoning to dismiss the criticism of other fans irrespective of the validity of their criticism on the sole basis of their age range.

Like @Epicocity pointed out there are certain types of complaints where it’s fair to say those are not valid complaints because Pokémon is a kid friendly show (e.g. wanting Pokémon to have increased profanity, gore or sexuality) whereas there are other criticisms that are valid even for child friendly shows (e.g. bad pacing, plot holes/contrivances, inconsistencies in aesthetic quality) as acting on these criticisms at the very least would certainly not decrease how child friendly Pokémon is as a whole. People like you are bascially trying to assert that such criticisms are invalid by default because kids are stupid and will not care about or even notice such flaws. This is not only grotesquely fallacious but also an incredibly condescending implication, and I’m going to make it my personal business to explain exactly why the notion that those in charge of Pokémon have no interest in the viewpoints of their older fans is an objectively false claim.

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
Changed the title because it creates unnecessary hysteria as proven by the last pages... scratch that, as proven by almost every post that followed.

And please reread Dephender's message a couple of pages back. None of us are fit to analyze ratings properly and draw 100% accurate conclusions from them. It's a bad idea to throw around nondescript numbers to create an air of higher credibilty. We're all just taking shots in the dark, let's not pretend otherwise.

JC317

Hey, sorry for necrobumping this thread, but since this thread hasn't been locked, it would seem that the topic is still open for discussion. If moderators think there is nothing left to discuss on the topic, please feel free to delete my post and lock this thread.

Please note that this is not a discussion on the quality of the anime, or a comparison of ratings compared to previous series, so let's try not to derail the thread (again) by mentioning those topics; I am only bumping this thread as I want to see if everyone still thinks the timeslot change is beneficial for the anime.

Now that it's been a month since the timeslot change, I believe this would be a good time to revisit this discussion since we now have more of an idea about how the Pokemon anime is faring after the change.

I won't be posting the numbers here as they'll just derail the thread and get deleted, but let's just say ratings have suffered since the timeslot change. As some have suspected, sharing a timeslot with Chibi Maruko-Chan is definitely not doing the Pokemon anime any favors. So should TV Tokyo change the Pokemon anime's timeslot again? Or should they stick to their guns? Or is there any other strategy that TV Tokyo may use to promote the Pokemon anime?

Before some might argue TV Tokyo would not consider changing the timeslot again so soon, Boruto, which is alongside Pokemon TV Tokyo's most popular anime, has changed timeslots twice in the span of five months (first from Wdnesday to Thursday, then again from Thursday to Sunday, moving with Pokemon), so this is definitely not unheard of.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
for me personally, it's a mixed bag, because while it's more convenient as I'm usually doing nothing on sundays, it's lower on quality because I get tempted to watch it early and avoid spoilers or just because it's pokemon, leading to me watching it in bad quality youtube raws

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
You know it just hit me they gave it this weird time and everything has been filler. I would think if it was getting a new time a bunch of canon episodes would make more sense. Like to draw more focus

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Because I rarely if ever come to the Spoilers section, I missed this thread the first go-round and just seeing it now when it's been bumped - since it's the first I'm hearing of the news (I read the whole thread but don't see an answer I'm certain of), my question is: is there any chance this move ends up leading to the full cancelation of the anime? If not, then it doesn't really impact me anyway since I only watch the dub and the day and time of the original airing don't really affect me. However, if there's any chance it actually could lead to cancelation, which @Dephender's first post scared me into believing, then I actually would like to know, please. Even though no one can know for sure, an educated opinion on whether this is possible would be nice, please. thank you!

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
Because I rarely if ever come to the Spoilers section, I missed this thread the first go-round and just seeing it now when it's been bumped - since it's the first I'm hearing of the news (I read the whole thread but don't see an answer I'm certain of), my question is: is there any chance this move ends up leading to the full cancelation of the anime? If not, then it doesn't really impact me anyway since I only watch the dub and the day and time of the original airing don't really affect me. However, if there's any chance it actually could lead to cancelation, which @Dephender's first post scared me into believing, then I actually would like to know, please. Even though no one can know for sure, an educated opinion on whether this is possible would be nice, please. thank you!

I doubt it. Unless the merchandise sales begin to dry up and the game sales begin to noticeably decline, the animé should stay on, even if the ratings decline. Now, if they go into complete free fall, then there may be reason to worry about the animé, especially if the merchandising sales decline, even just a bit, and/or the games start to underperform, though the animé would mostly be tied with the merchandise, even if the games still sell well. Still, you never know. If the animé nosedives in ratings, it could theoretically be jettisoned as dragging down the brand, or at the very least have a complete makeover. It's more likely, though, that if anything happens to the animé, it will merely be redone with the Generation (fill in the blank) protagonists being the main characters, rather than Ash and a few companions.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I can see them shifting the tone of the anime in Gen 8. I would not be shocked if we go back to a vibe like we have had with series like AG,DP and XY. People can bring up ratings all they want for XY but at the end of the day the backlash was not so big. I know some like the art now and say it is more fluid but at the same time the animation was not even bad in XY. I know XY also gets hate for a romance plot but at the end of the day it was never forced on us like the comedy and faces in SUMO. We got maybe 10 episodes max of Serena focusing her feelings for Ash compared to multiple times in every ep of SUMO having comedy and faces. Plus it is 2018 (2019 for Gen 8) I don't think ratings even matter. People watch shows via DVR,streaming or heck even on YouTube so yeah. Granted even if SUMO is meh it is still surviving due to it being Pokemon.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I won't be posting the numbers here as they'll just derail the thread and get deleted, but let's just say ratings have suffered since the timeslot change. As some have suspected, sharing a timeslot with Chibi Maruko-Chan is definitely not doing the Pokemon anime any favors. So should TV Tokyo change the Pokemon anime's timeslot again? Or should they stick to their guns? Or is there any other strategy that TV Tokyo may use to promote the Pokemon anime?

Before some might argue TV Tokyo would not consider changing the timeslot again so soon, Boruto, which is alongside Pokemon TV Tokyo's most popular anime, has changed timeslots twice in the span of five months (first from Wdnesday to Thursday, then again from Thursday to Sunday, moving with Pokemon), so this is definitely not unheard of.

Honestly, put me in the "they're canning pokémon"-camp. Doesn't matter since when, but the animé has been losing popularity and ever since this move has been announced, I've been getting the feeling that TvTokyo wants to get rid of Pokémon (and possibly the Naruto/Boruto-brand as well) to reposition their own brand entirely - or toss a hasbeen (lets face it) in favor of giving room to something that could maybe take its place for the next five years. Sometimes, a show has just run its course. And yes, Pokémon has a major gaming franchise behind it, but where's the Mario-animé?

For me personally, the only reason Pokémon is still a thing is because Pokémon Go and being able to play the older games whenever I want, with the rumblings of future games not even sparking any interest, where I used to be all up in hype. In my eyes, Pokémon has lost its luster, only banking on what's left of the nostalgia - and there's a part of me that thinks TvTokyo thinks the same.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Honestly, put me in the "they're canning pokémon"-camp. Doesn't matter since when, but the animé has been losing popularity and ever since this move has been announced, I've been getting the feeling that TvTokyo wants to get rid of Pokémon (and possibly the Naruto/Boruto-brand as well) to reposition their own brand entirely - or toss a hasbeen (lets face it) in favor of giving room to something that could maybe take its place for the next five years. Sometimes, a show has just run its course. And yes, Pokémon has a major gaming franchise behind it, but where's the Mario-animé?

For me personally, the only reason Pokémon is still a thing is because Pokémon Go and being able to play the older games whenever I want, with the rumblings of future games not even sparking any interest, where I used to be all up in hype. In my eyes, Pokémon has lost its luster, only banking on what's left of the nostalgia - and there's a part of me that thinks TvTokyo thinks the same.
So is it possible that Ash is just going to win the Alola League next year and then that's just going to be it for the Pokémon anime? Game, set, and match?

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl

Just because you're a top selling franchise doesn't mean you need a show to go with it (and they're already making a Mario movie soon anyway). And unlike the Super Mario Bros Super Show, the Pokemon anime was actually super popular to warrant continuous series. =p

And the Pokemon anime will exist as long as the games are making money. It's not going to die anytime soon, man who used to have a Charmeleon avatar! You can't hide what's inside! Could you plz use the Charmeleon avatar again though it was what made you a Locormus!

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Just because you're a top selling franchise doesn't mean you need a show to go with it (and they're already making a Mario movie soon anyway). And unlike the Super Mario Bros Super Show, the Pokemon anime was actually super popular to warrant continuous series. =p

And the Pokemon anime will exist as long as the games are making money. It's not going to die anytime soon, man who used to have a Charmeleon avatar! You can't hide what's inside! Could you plz use the Charmeleon avatar again though it was what made you a Locormus!

I mean I won't lie I can see it "dying" in the sense they revamp it. Gen 8 would be a good time since they are switching to a home console and could leave Ash in the handheld era of the anime. Or at the very least have a new lead but have Ash appear too at times. As long as we don't go deeper into a SUMO style I am good.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I mean I won't lie I can see it "dying" in the sense they revamp it. Gen 8 would be a good time since they are switching to a home console and could leave Ash in the handheld era of the anime. Or at the very least have a new lead but have Ash appear too at times. As long as we don't go deeper into a SUMO style I am good.
That already changed, melody of the 12:00 night shows! Gen VII already broke the usual gym trend along with other smaller things like Mythical Pokemon not evolving. Gen VIII would only continue what SM started in breaking away more from the formula from there.

And we're about to be in a gen that's handheld + console on November 16th so Ash still will exist in this time period!

D

Deleted member 384931

Ash just needs to get more focus on his personality. Things we didnt know about him, his father. Pokémon got many rival series through the years.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Actually it might do the opposite. Ash winning could boost ratings and get more people invested in his character.
Yeah but we won't see him win until they plan it to end, is my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.