• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sun & Moon, your thoughts now vs first thoughts

Jeal

Actually I don't think it's entirely true; I think the anime will continue as long as the games are selling well, which it obviously is doing right now.

Ratings don't mean anything. Like Sushi said in another thread, people don't know what they're talking about when discussing the ratings.

I was just responding to Mia, who used ratings as an argument.

SinnohEevee

If this wasn't Pokémon, I doubt it's heavy popularity would have survived the Best Wishes series.

doofinc

get rillaboomed
Pikachu was still able to get up and continue, showing that Z-Moves doesn't always guarantee an instant KO on the opponent.

My problem with Z-Moves in the anime is how they seem to be the finisher for the battle. Now granted, that is how they were designed to be from a story standpoint, but it just comes off as the final battle of the match does not matter until you see the Z-Moves. In addition, if your Z-Move doesn't KO the other Pokemon, then the other Pokemon will essentially win with their Z-Move. I know this seems to be reaching given that we only had one battle where both opponents actually used their Z-Moves, but the way Z-Moves are designed worries me with how it might end up the way I said.

I'm saying that if one side's Z-Move doesn't knock out the other, then the other's will most likely knock out the first one, which we saw. Yes, Pikachu did use one Quick Attack in between the Z-Moves but I'm hoping we can eventually see a scenario where both sides unleash Z-Moves and both sides haven't fainted yet.

PokemonKnight

#1 Sylveon Fan
During less serious battles it's fine to have puns, but during serious battles or serious moments like say a league battle especially if it's against a rival then no as the puns would just hurt the battle more then anything and would take away from the intensity.

As a pun master, I would disagree. Even people facing execution said puns.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
my thought if anything before and after the anime have gotten worse, there were several strong eps, litten, litten/stoutland to name a few but there were some weak and horrid ones too. im not a fan of the rounded style animation but kept an open mind to 98% of the characters. they dropped the ball down a huge chasm deeper than fissure in the sun anime on him. im not really enjoying the anime that much as its clearly directed to a younger audience than those of previous series. some of the jokes/gags in sun are Naruto bad in style and humor. at times skipping thru the eps is best option.

doofinc

get rillaboomed
in the tapu koko battles, pikachu still barely leaves a scratch on tapu koko with its z-move, so i don't think we'll always see that "z-move finishes the battle" scenario.

Tapu Koko is a legendary so it's to be expected that it's not a one shot finisher

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Tapu Koko is a legendary so it's to be expected that it's not a one shot finisher

Darkrai got one-shotted by Sceptile, though.

Janovy

Banned
Darkrai got one-shotted by Sceptile, though.
After how many Pokemon previously fought to weaken it?

Let's not pretend like Sceptile defeated Darkrai all by itself.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll

No, actually. Darkrai had healed itself with Dream Eater.

Blaze Master X

The Fallen Hero

Don't forget Darkrai used Dream Eater.. It healed itself while using Dream Eater. :/

Edit: Ninja'd

Janovy

Banned
No, actually. Darkrai had healed itself with Dream Eater.
Don't forget Darkrai used Dream Eater.. It healed itself while using Dream Eater. :/

Edit: Ninja'd

1. Darkrai used Dream Eater after receiving who knows how much damage from a direct, super-effective Megahorn attack from Heracross.
2. Dream Attack does not restore full health, but only half.
3. Darkrai was worn out by Ash's other Pokemon - Torkoal and Gible. Gible also landed a direct Rock Smash hit on Darkrai, another super-effective move.

My point is: Sceptile did not win the battle alone, other Pokemon obviously wore Darkrai out and dealt damage, otherwise Sceptile wouldn't have defeated it.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
1. Darkrai used Dream Eater after receiving who knows how much damage from a direct, super-effective Megahorn attack from Heracross.
3. Darkrai was worn out by Ash's other Pokemon - Torkoal and Gible. Gible also landed a direct Rock Smash hit on Darkrai, another super-effective move.

My point is: Sceptile did not win the battle alone, other Pokemon obviously wore Darkrai out and dealt damage, otherwise Sceptile wouldn't have defeated it.

Remember that Dream Eater to Heracross was a OHKO, so Darkrai healed a lot. So it still had majority of its health back. Thus Sceptile did most of the work and so the Blades of Leaf should be renowned for cracking the immaculate troll.

Janovy

Banned
Remember that Dream Eater to Heracross was a OHKO, so Darkrai healed a lot. So it still had majority of its health back. Thus Sceptile did most of the work and so the Blades of Leaf should be renowned for cracking the immaculate troll.
I still think Darkrai wasn't at full health when it fainted.

Leaf Blade could have taken care of the rest given its increased critical hit ratio.

Blaze Master X

The Fallen Hero

Looks like I need to rewatch. I almost forgot about Torkoal vs Darkrai. lol
Thanks for pointing out. ~

Ash should use Snorlax against Darkrai.
Snorlax can defeat Darkrai alone. Dream Eater is not working on Snorlax, because Bad Dream/Nightmare makes it frustrated. :p

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I still think Darkrai wasn't at full health when it fainted.

Leaf Blade could have taken care of the rest given its increased critical hit ratio.
That's why critical hits are nessecary for taking out Darkrai, otherwise it will keep healing with the Dark Void/Dream Eater combo(probably the main reason it swept the Sinnoh League)
Looks like I need to rewatch. I almost forgot half of Darkrai battle. lol
Thanks for pointing out. ~

Ash should use Snorlax against Darkrai.
Snorlax can defeat Darkrai alone. Dream Eater is not working on Snorlax because Bad Dream/Nightmare makes it frustrated. :p

Primeape would have been more useful with Vital Spirit :p. Or a Pokemon with a super strong bond which can wake it up from Dark Void- Ash-Greninja would be useful with the syncronisation bond, no way Darkrai can put it to sleep.

Anyway, I wonder what strategy can Ash and Pikachu implement to defeat Tapu Koko, to penetrate the shell which effortlessly resists Z-moves.

You guys are really trying to apply game logic to the anime? That's suicidal. Remember SSS's Frenzy Plant spamming Mega Sceptile?

Oh true! Those tree sized roots that follows the opponent like a guided missile! Darkrai wouldn't have survived those roots I bet!

Last edited:

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
my thought if anything before and after the anime have gotten worse, there were several strong eps, litten, litten/stoutland to name a few but there were some weak and horrid ones too. im not a fan of the rounded style animation but kept an open mind to 98% of the characters. they dropped the ball down a huge chasm deeper than fissure in the sun anime on him. im not really enjoying the anime that much as its clearly directed to a younger audience than those of previous series. some of the jokes/gags in sun are Naruto bad in style and humor. at times skipping thru the eps is best option.

Same demographic, different genre. Let's not pretend that XY was directed towards adult fans while OS, BW, or SM are directed towards younger ones.

Janovy

Banned
You guys are really trying to apply game logic into the anime? That's suicidal. Did you forget SSS's Frenzy Plant spamming Mega Sceptile?
Different series, different rules.

As far as I recall, DP is the one series that went deepest into the game mechanics.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Different series, different rules.

As far as I recall, DP is the one series that went deepest into the game mechanics.

Well did you forget the Stone Edge coming from Brandon's Regirock which broke through Electabuzz's Protect?

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Um, what do game mechanics have to do with reviewing the anime?