• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sun & Moon, your thoughts now vs first thoughts

Soniman

Break the Limit
Now that we're in the double digits and we've had our first major battle of the saga I wanted to know where people stand in regards to the saga right now and how they compared to your initial thoughts to it

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I liked it to begin with and I still like it.

I still think it's early days because it could easily take a nosedive in quality.

phanpycross

God-king
Knew it was gonna be good just by Rowlet confirmation.

Turns out it's slowly becoming my favorite. Ash is likeable again, The cast feel like their own characters again, the interactions feel natural again, Rowlet is God-tier, Pikachu isnt as overdone as early XY, and Litten has me super hyped.

Episode 6 was supposedly the worst, but Ive still watched it 5 times because I adore the feel of this series.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
My first thoughts: this has potential to become something great.

My current thoughts: this has potential to become something great.

I like it. There is a gradual plot build-up (Totem Pokemon treating Ash differently, Tapu Koko taking an interest in Ash for whatever reason, Lillie's fear of Pokemon and its mysterious cause, Lillie's family, Team Skull) and the characters are overall quite likable. The minimal Team Rocket intrusion is refreshing and their new gag is HILARIOUS. Ash is still competent and battles are decent. Some characters are not quite as impressive (looking at you Sophocles!) and some writing choices are worrying (the lack of Trial Captains makes me worry, hopefully they do appear at some point), but all in all, I'm pleased with what has happened so far.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Good. I would never like Ash's character design and his attitude in this series, but his performance in battles, his classmates have been very likeable. He has only one capture, haven't caught Litten yet, but it still has been overall good(especially Ash vs Hala, which was a sweep for Ash).

DS0308

<--- Actually me
Can't say I feel the same way. The first two episodes had me really interested but since then the only episode that outright grabbed my attention was Lillie's one.

Not a fan of the Rowlet line, and the more I look at it the more I dislike it. Although I think his character is somewhat overdone with the amount of derpiness, as much as I'm content with it being like that.

Similarly as much as people want to say Ash has more personality he's a lot more grating to put up with. He shows more EMOTIONS maybe, but that doesn't mean he has a better personality. Then those emotive responses just seem way too OTT. Not to mention I get pissed off looking at his face sometimes and I really don't know why I end up getting that mad.

As a whole I really think they're just overdoing the humour and it's slowly made me like it less. There's some things I enjoy with that, Bewear's random entrances are always wacky and are the highlights of the TR-involved episodes.

Oh and the battle vs Hala just didn't grab me like I thought it would, maybe I can put that down to watching a rubbish quality video that cut some important bits. Might actually have to go watch this episode again which I haven't done all series, even though I used to. Could maybe appreciate things a little better.

EDIT: Like I'm all for future Team Skull plot lines and that but it's the stuff in between that's just irked me so far.

Actually Lana's episode was good too, forgot about that.

Last edited:

Holy157

At the very start, I was pretty meh. Later previews really improved my opinion and episode 1 and 2 caught me. Are there issues? Yes, but it's not like any series has been free of issues.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
It's amazing so far, some episodes were 'bad' but it's getting better and better, IMO. Only one problem: Ash needs Pokemon ASAP.

nuzamaki90

Not really all that hooked. I kind of feel like I've been watching these episodes as a chore rather than because I am excited. Nothing has really caught me yet and maybe that is because I'm just not into it.

Like people have said already, Ash has personality...If you call "OMG ARORA! LOOK AT MY STUPID FACES HAHAHA A POKEMON JUST HIT ME ISN'T THAT FUNNY?!?" as personality lol? It gets annoying fast and it really makes you question his competence. Okay, him and Pikachu are strong and haven't been reset, we've established that, but he barely ever uses strategy and gets surprised when Rowlet does things he should have thought of.

The cast also has its own problems. The school companions barely appear, and most of the time its just Mallow and Lillie. Lana barely ever says anything when she appears, and none of them really have anything that stands out to me. I like how Lillie is afraid of Pokemon but even her gag is a little dry. It does however open doors for a strong character arc for her and her past. All the companions have a chance to show out in the future especially since all their trials are on the same island coming up, so I am looking forward to that. But then there is Sophocles..

I don't know why Sophocles is on the cast at all. Ash is already the Electric-type guy and he is showing off the Electric-type Z-Move, so why is Sophocles here? He isn't an Akala Island Trial Captain and he never interacts with any of the other school companions in the games until the games' ending. His Togedemaru is cute but very annoying and has random outbursts, just to have outbursts. Sophocles doesn't even add a noteworthy character archetype to the cast. He's just that nerd that specializes in Electric-types. His episode didn't improve on his character at all, honestly made me dislike him even more, and Tapu Koko giving Ash Electricium Z just made Sophocles' role as a Trial Captain completely pointless. What is he supposed to give Ash when he beats the Trial? A high five?

Don't even let me start on Rotom. Man that guy has so much potential but he just intrudes on things and drags things out and kwalege;krengldnj it's just so irritating lol

We are at the 10 episode mark and there hasn't even been a battle yet that I can say I legitimately enjoyed. Maybe because there has been a real lack of battles. Hala's battle was good but it as well as the other battles in SM lack the over the top hand motions trainers would make in battles to keep everything in motion. Most of the time Ash and his opponent are just standing still and it is jarring. Maybe because XY blew me away with this that I'm holding SM up to a higher T

So far I'm just not impressed with the series.

Janovy

Banned
Like people have said already, Ash has personality...If you call "OMG ARORA! LOOK AT MY STUPID FACES HAHAHA A POKEMON JUST HIT ME ISN'T THAT FUNNY?!?" as personality lol? It gets annoying fast and it really makes you question his competence. Okay, him and Pikachu are strong and haven't been reset, we've established that, but he barely ever uses strategy and gets surprised when Rowlet does things he should have thought of.
He literally used strategy in today's episode, both with Pikachu and Rowlet.

He actually took advantage of Rowlet's ability to sneak up on his opponents and copied the exact same move Rowlet showed him in the previous episode in the fight versus Totem Pokemon's allies (the same one that surprised Ash initially because he didn't know Rowlet could do that).

Ash capitalized on his Pokemon's abilities and techniques and yet...I don't know why I even bother. As if anything SM Ash does will ever impress anyone.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
The comedy is really getting annoying in SM so far. While a lot of things have been likeable, I think the comedy should be kept away from the battles.

nuzamaki90

He literally used strategy in today's episode, both with Pikachu and Rowlet.

Ash capitalized on his Pokemon's abilities and techniques and yet...I don't know why I even bother. As if anything SM Ash does will ever impress anyone.

I literally said "barely". He didn't use any against Team Skull, Tapu Koko, Grubbin, Mimikyu, James, and none against Yungoos and Gumshoos until Rowlet showed him and he went and said "hey I can do this".

The fact that he is so competent with Z-Moves is cool and its always great when we see him use one, but the whole comedy Ash thing the writers got going on just isn't working for me. He stands still during battles and only ever reacts with some over the top crazy face and jerky movement when something is off.

Last edited:

gliscor&yanmega

Prior-Looks odd, but I'm sure I'll love it all the same like the rest of the series.
Now-Still looks odd, but I'm loving it all the same like the rest of the series.

The dramatic faces are the only thing that I need to get used to, and for the most part it's just been "Oh...ok" and then next scene happens. Other than that, it's still the same Pokemon I've always loved.

Xuxuba

IMO, disappointing so far. I was expecting the series to focus more on the plot than the animation this time, but only now the plot started and, despite being something new, the trials seemed like one of those boring tasks that Ash would've to do in order to solve a random problem from a filler episode. At least we got the totem battle, however, it didn't last much. There is also the kahunas, but we only get 4 kahunas and Hala's battle wasn't all that great, especially animation-wise (compared to xy gym battles).

Well, i hope it'll get better once Lusamine appears at least...

Epicocity

I literally said "barely". He didn't use any against Team Skull, Tapu Koko, Grubbin, Mimikyu, James, and none against Yungoos and Gumshoos until Rowlet showed him and he went and said "hey I can do this".

The fact that he is so competent with Z-Moves is cool and its always great when we see him use one, but the whole comedy Ash thing the writers got going on just isn't working for me. He stands still during battles and only ever reacts with some over the top crazy face and jerky movement when something is off.

This is something I noticed today, myself. While the Rowlet vs. Crabrawler match didn't fall as victim to it, the battle against Hariyama...dragged. There was this huge lag time simply for Pikachu and Ash to finally go "Let's dodge!"

As for my thoughts. I started out with high hopes. I still have high hopes, but after today...my fears have also increased in regards to the large cast and potential for lackluster battles where there should be great ones. Also, needs more Hau.

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
At first I liked it. Had a good balance between almost everything.

Now the quality is starting to drop, but it's still ok as long as this drop ends somewhere.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
The first two episodes were somewhat promising, but after so many episodes without any meaningfull plot going on (Team Skull, Lillie or development of important characters not including the captains).

Right now, the series lacks of good characters, goal related protagonist besides Ash and some excitement. Right now it feels like a cartoon with different episodea and plot with some actual important episodes thrown in.
I have still some interest into the series, but I can imagine the series to bore me to death in some months if the series continues like now.