• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sun & Moon, your thoughts now vs first thoughts

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
When do you think Ash will take on the Akala trials? I want him to take them on as soon as possible.

Janovy

Banned
When do you think Ash will take on the Akala trials? I want him to take them on as soon as possible.
Probably sometime in SM30s. In my opinion.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Probably sometime in SM30s. In my opinion.

And what if he doesn't? I guess then it will be pointless to defend SM regarding delaying Ash's quest then.

Last edited:

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
We still have two more June episodes that are unaccounted for, and PokeFan is due out at the end of the month. I'm not gonna lie. If we get nothing about Akala in either the remaining June episodes or PokeFan, I'm going to be upset. Even my patience has its limits, and since Gladion told him he won the Rockium-Z from Olivia, there really is no reason to delay Akala much longer.

However, I have the nasty feeling they want to save Akala for season 2 of the anime, meaning we'd have to wait until the mid to late 40's. That better not be what they're doing, needless to say.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I said it before and I'll say it again: for SM to be a great series, it needs to either fully embrace the silliness and SoL or embrace the adventure.
They can do both I mean adventuring can lead to lots of silly and comedic moments but also have action scenes & pick up on it later on.

PokemonKnight

#1 Sylveon Fan
Unfortunately, there was already the wrath of the fanbase when Ash lost the Kalos League, but the writers did nothing to respond or apologize.

It didn't get any better when the initial SM reveal was negative, yet the writers still didn't respond.

The writers probably figured that the kiss was enough. Once in awhile, they throw us a bone.

A lot of episodes are like that. "Clefairy and the Moon Stone," "Hypno's Naptime," "Tentacool & Tentacruel," "March of the Exeggutor Squad," "Attack of the Prehistoric Pokemon," "Sparks Fly for Magnemite," "Mystery at the Lighthouse, "The Legend of Dratini" to name a few.

That was a Kanto speciality. The best had to be Brock catching Zubat without anyone seeing it.

And it is nice to see another English major (saw that in another post of yours) here! We are gonna grammar this place up. LOL.

Yet they don't get hated on like SM so far; double standards I guess :/

Well, those episodes are nearly 20 years old.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
That was a Kanto speciality. The best had to be Brock catching Zubat without anyone seeing it.

And it is nice to see another English major (saw that in another post of yours) here! We are gonna grammar this place up. LOL.
There's also what I said earlier. These filler-ish episodes rarely happen with Ash's captures or evolutions. When Ash catches something, the episode pretty much always focuses on it.

So focusing on the side characters, Serena, Clemont, and TR had fewer captures and evolutions than Misty, Brock, and Kanto TR did in the Indigo League saga. XY(Z) is also a much longer series than the Indigo League is. Thus, you get a quality over quantity situation where despite XY(Z) having fewer captures and evolutions overall, pretty much all of them had focus. XY(Z) could get away with it. The Indigo League saga could not, and to an extent, I doubt SM can simply because of the larger cast. If we don't count Ride Pokemon, everyone except Sophocles has only one Pokemon, and everyone except Kiawe has a Pokemon that can evolve. There will almost assuredly be more team changes in SM than XY(Z). And therefore, there probably will be more situations like SM18 or SM26 where a capture or evolution is tacked on to an episode that otherwise would be filler.

This discussion has pretty much run its course, however. I say we don't speak of this anymore.

EDIT: *looks at SM31*

THANK YOU!!! Freaking finally...

Last edited:

PokemonKnight

#1 Sylveon Fan
There's also what I said earlier. These filler-ish episodes rarely happen with Ash's captures or evolutions. When Ash catches something, the episode pretty much always focuses on it.

So focusing on the side characters, Serena, Clemont, and TR had fewer captures and evolutions than Misty, Brock, and Kanto TR did in the Indigo League saga. XY(Z) is also a much longer series than the Indigo League is. Thus, you get a quality over quantity situation where despite XY(Z) having fewer captures and evolutions overall, pretty much all of them had focus. XY(Z) could get away with it. The Indigo League saga could not, and to an extent, I doubt SM can simply because of the larger cast. If we don't count Ride Pokemon, everyone except Sophocles has only one Pokemon, and everyone except Kiawe has a Pokemon that can evolve. There will almost assuredly be more team changes in SM than XY(Z). And therefore, there probably will be more situations like SM18 or SM26 where a capture or evolution is tacked on to an episode that otherwise would be filler.

This discussion has pretty much run its course, however. I say we don't speak of this anymore.

EDIT: *looks at SM31*

THANK YOU!!! Freaking finally...

I have noticed that trend. Makes sense considering his character status.

Plus, the Indigo League clearly had this urge (or obligation) to cover every species possible and outside of the starters and Pikachu, no team member received extended focus. If Butterfree, Primeape, Tauros and Muk stayed on the squad, they just would have been shafted while sitting on Ash's belt. Outside of Horsea's capture episode, what focus did it receive? Zubat wasn't caught on screen. Vulpix had precious few moments after its episode. Staryu and Starmie were palette swaps. Etc.

I look forward to the team changes and I will be perfectly OK with a tacked-on evolution or capture. It didn't bother me in Kanto and it won't bother me now.

Just my two cents, I wanted to add.

#TeamGrammar (The only real team in Pokemon.)

Rampardo

The lack of battles is making it Sun & Meh for me.

Me too. 30 episodes in and a grand total of 1 battle that's lasted longer than 5 minutes, and it wasn't even a good battle (Hala). This is beyond pathethic. At this rate Ash should just ditch his team so he can fully focus on being a comedy/slapstick character. SM doesn't even feel like it's about Pokemon any more. Disgusting.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
The Hala battle was fine for what it was: basically the equivalent of the first Gym Battle. Ash's first Gym Battles are basically never that impressive except for Ash vs. Viola and maybe Ash vs. Roark.

Ash vs. Brock ended in a pity badge, Ash vs. Falkner was good, but Ash had his more powerful Kanto Pokemon with him at the time, so it's not really fair to compare this to any of the others, I barely remember anything about Ash vs. Roxanne other than Pikachu basically solo'ed her (which is not a good sign), and Ash vs. Cilan, Chili and Cress was terrible.

That being said, I do agree that the lack of battles is a legitimate issue with the series, but with Ash meeting Olivia in SM31, hopefully the Trials will soon follow, and things will pick up a little bit. And as Akkipeddi stated earlier, it probably would have made more sense to have Ash lose to Hala the first time through. That would have given us another battle and helped with the pacing a little bit.

Last edited:

Haunter ゴースト

First thoughts:

The new animation style although jarring at first, looked new and interesting so was completely fine for me. I hated seeing Ash's goofy expression after XY finally developing on his DP self so that didn't sit well, but amidst his goofy personality back in full force, they still managed to level out his trainer experience which made SM fine for me.

Thoughts Now:

The series has kept up a consistent level of enjoyment, maintaining some serious/strong moments mixed with comedy. If the plot ever kicks in fully (which it seems to be slowly building toward), this series could match up against XY for me.

blob

Couldn't Ash have gone to battle school? By the time he gets 6 Pokémon, it'll be 100 episodes in! Also, if this is another BW series where only a few Pokémon evolve, I won't be happy!

LagMaster

Well finally it looks like maybe more battles will be happening on Akala Island, and no TR. So my thoughts are all positive right now :D

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
I just want some more Rowlet focus. In all recent episodes but SM027 all he did was sleep and sometimes eat
Couldn't Ash have gone to battle school? By the time he gets 6 Pokémon, it'll be 100 episodes in! Also, if this is another BW series where only a few Pokémon evolve, I won't be happy!

Ash didn't evolve all his team until DP and the generations before were still good
And XY Ash only had five Pokémon before calling Goodra back

Last edited:

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I just want some more Rowlet focus. In all recent episodes but SM027 all he did was sleep and sometimes eat

Ash didn't evolve all his team until DP and the generations before were still good
And XY Ash only had five Pokémon before calling Goodra back
Ash didn't even evolve all his Pokemon in DP, as Buizel and Gible were still a thing.

Agreed on more Rowlet focus. Rowlet, unfortunately, hasn't really done anything since SM10. But with the Akala Totem battles coming up, hopefully it'll get its chance to shine soon.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Well, the episodes later on did focus on the other characters and Rockruff needed some screentime to train and battle. Rowlet has his wits (sneaking up on people and using his talons) to switch up the battle in his favor while Rockruff and Litten, they're still sort of learning how their natural abilities will work to their advantage. Rockruff learned Rock Throw and Llitten, Fire Fang. Litten, Rockruff, and Rowlet need to be used in battle and have another training episode.

DatsRight

Rowlet needs to do more, especially since a large appeal in him early on was that despite his clownishness he was actually pretty competent. I can see Litten or Rockruff having dibs for the next trial though, they haven't had one yet.

That said, I like his inactive time has at least been used showing him bonding with the rest of his teammates instead of just being a laughing stock. After the episodes he had with Popplio and Bounsweet I was worried he was going to end up another punching bag for the other Pokemon.

Last edited: