• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sun & Moon, your thoughts now vs first thoughts

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Rowlet needs to do more, especially since a large appeal in him early on was that despite his clownishness he was actually pretty competent. I can see Litten or Rockruff having dibs for the next trial though, they haven't had one yet.

That said, I like his inactive time has at least been used showing him bonding with the rest of his teammates instead of just being a laughing stock. After the episodes he had with Popplio and Bounsweet I was worried he was going to end up another punching bag for the other Pokemon.
I don't know about the Wishiwashi Trial TBH. :/ Both Rockruff and Litten are weak to Water types, and I just don't think they'd be able to do much considering the setting of that battle is supposedly a huge lake. And Popplio is too small to carry either one of them unless it evolves during the battle (assuming Ash and Lana are tag teaming, of course). Pikachu or Rowlet makes the most sense for Totem Wishiwashi IMO.

I could see them shining in the other two Trials, though.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
It's just that Ash's team is really lacking now in generell. Rowlet got almost nothing over the last twenty episodes, Rockruff still have to win it's first big match. Litten got some development and learned a move, but also only battled against some no-name grunts. It's nice to see Ash already having four pokemon, but except Pikachu, all of them are currently just underused.

Crystal

The Pokemon Observer
A mouse, a bird, a cat, a dog. These are all conventional pets.

This is not the Pokemon Anime I knew from the past. This is an anime about a story of a boy living in Hawaiian islands taking care of his pets while playing with his friends.

And this is my current thought of this show.

Janovy

Banned
A mouse, a bird, a cat, a dog. These are all conventional pets.

This is not the Pokemon Anime I knew from the past. This is an anime about a story of a boy living in Hawaiian islands taking care of his pets while playing with his friends.

And this is my current thought of this show.
Whereas in Kalos he had a mouse, a bird, another bird and a bat. Everything can sound dull and stupid if you make it sound like that. Doesn't make it true.

DatsRight

I do at least like how the Pokemon spend 90% of the time out of their Pokeballs this series, which means we get a lot more interaction, even if it's just background, not to mention we know the trainers are spending a great deal of time with them either way. Compare that to a lot of previous series where a lot of Pokemon were confined to their ball unless they were needed for a battle or training.

I still have mixed feeling about this show. On one hand I really have to praise the writers that they at least try to do something different for once. S&M is really the first anime, that really does his own unique thing for once and separates it from all the other animes. On the other hand saldy this new idea seems to not really work that good in a concept like Pokémon. It seems like they just wanted to for their own Yokai Watch with Pokémon. Also they have still trouble to use all the characters. Some of them they use quit good like Ash and Lillie, other ones feel like they can do a bit more with them (Kiawe and Sophocles), other feel like wasted potential (Lana) and other ones feel like completely unnecessary (Mallow).

But I have to say, I really like the chilled and comedic atmosphere of this anime. It works a lot better than the forced drama in X&Y, which in the end was a completely waste of time and energy.

Litleonid

Going In
I thought the art style looked very fresh and gorgeous. Ash going to school was kinda odd to me, but I thought I'd give it a try. At the start, I liked what they were doing. The characters felt very lively and it was kinda amusing, especially Bewear. Ash seemed to carry over some of his XY level competency as well, though he seemed a tad immature compared to XY.

Now
I'm...Not really enjoying it, mostly due to a few things. First of all, the pacing. We've spent so long on Melemele Island with absolutely no sign of Ash seeking out the next three trials. We finally got to Akala Island though and Totem Wishiwashi is coming up. Secondly, the forced comedy. The overabundance of slapstick based humor and obnoxious over the top Jojo-esque facial expressions have been pushing me away. Its just too much at times and I can hardly take this series seriously. Third, the lack of battles. There haven't been many battles at all. Ash has battled against Hala, Lillie's butler, and had a battle with Gladion interupted. We've also had the trial battle against Trumpshoos...I mean, Totem Gumshoos, and Tapu Koko, but the series really has been lacking in the battle department. Fourth, I feel like the cast, as lively as it is, is too oversaturated. We have Ash, Lillie, Mallow, Lana, Kiawe, and Sophocles. Plus, big supporting characters like Professor Kukui and Rotomdex, who I have grown to find annoying. I have no idea how they can handle and develop all of them. Also, I feel like this cast has far less of a family vibe. They're only together because of class, or if Mallow brings them all together. Last, but not least, I feel like Ash has been acting so annoyingly immature and selfish compared to the past. So as of now, this series is slipping into BW territiory for me.

Last edited:

Rohanator

But I have to say, I really like the chilled and comedic atmosphere of this anime. It works a lot better than the forced drama in X&Y, which in the end was a completely waste of time and energy
XY was only really dramatic in parts involving Alan and the evil team, previous series did the same and SM will likely try and match it with its own evil team story line once we get to it, so don't try and generalize XY as being overly "edgy" or something when for the most part it was the same "wacky episodic stories with gym battles" the shows always been.

But yes Sun&Moon does do the chill and funny stuff best aside from probably Kanto.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Basically till episode 21, my rankings of seasons was this : XY > DP > SM = OS > AG > BW.

Now it's this : XY > DP > OS > AG > SM = BW

So as a matter of fact, I did quite like SM till episode 21 which is why it is placed quite high. However, episodes 22 onwards have really not been interesting for me personally, and has really dampened my hype for this series. It's not even Ash's design or the juvenile humour since it was there from episode 1 of SM, and despite that I still did rank SM quite highly. From episode 22, it's just felt like it has been going nowhere, and even the hyped introduction episode of Gladion fell flat for me. Well the cast is finally in Akala now so I hope that it interests me again.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
While I understand the pacing could have been better, I kind of get the impression that Melemele was dragged out because the anime team was waiting for USM to be officially announced before proceeding with the plot. I don't think it's a coincidence USM were officially announced only a couple of weeks after SM30 and 31 were officially revealed.

If they just continued on with the plot, they would have had USM unexpectedly dropped on them and would have had to change things to promote the new games, ultimately ruining the series. That's pretty much what happened with BW.

So yeah. I can kind of forgive them for delaying Akala. I'd rather they didn't fall into the same pitfall they fell into in BW. But a lot of stuff could have been paced better. I do agree that Ash probably should have lost to Hala, for example.

Last edited:

Rohanator

It's not like sticking in Melemele would automatically stop the plot from moving, nor does transitioning to Akala automatically advance the plot. Ash could've easily went to Akala for the trials any time, Kiawe flies from Akala to Melemele every day. And any actual plot events relating to Aether and Skull for example can just be brought to Ash regardless where he is.

So I don't think they held off Akala for any particular reason, nor do I think moving to Akala is going to speed up the pace of the series. Fillers aren't fillers in SM, they're not there to just kill time while we wait for "plot" to happen, the random episodic stories are what SM is ABOUT, the things you should enjoy about it. And I really think it's going to consist mostly of them for its entire run (aside from some sort of villain arc near the end like usual), for now they'll just take place in a different island, which ultimately doesn't even matter cause there was already a variety of settings in Melemele and we've already seen Ash leave the island in episodes like 11 and 20.

Last edited:

Remix2

Ya after Episode 21 this series got pretty dull form 22 till 30. since there was nothing exciting happenings and most of them were about as fun as watching paint drying. I'm mean they could have those episodes be focused episode on the "main"characters since they are in desperate need of development.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
Ya after Episode 21 this series got pretty dull form 22 till 30. since there was nothing exciting happenings and were about as fun as watching paint drying. I'm mean they could have those episodes be focused episode on the "main"characters since they are in desperate need of development.
In your opinion, my dear.

Also, three episodes were pure plot-development episodes. One was character-centric.

You guys need to stop exaggerating to make your arguments sound good. lol

Last edited:

Nafsika

I was excited with the news about the new series and I expected a lot!!!! My thoughts and feelings don't have changed but I have to say that some characters need more focus episodes!!!! I know what you are going to tell me, that is only on the begin and I`m sure that they will find a way to fix it!!!! So no need to worry!!!!
I can't wait to see more things and development for people and pokemon!!! Go get them SM!!!!!

Red and Blue

Since episode 33 comes out next week, shouldn't we be getting new episode titles soon?

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Since episode 33 comes out next week, shouldn't we be getting new episode titles soon?

Yeah, but a lack of titles has happened before (multiple times), and the movie is fairly close now.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
End of the week, most likely. Regardless of the movie, we should still get titles for the 20th and 27th.

Last edited:

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
I believe the anime is going on break, yes. Instead, I think TV Tokyo is broadcasting the Volcanion movie.

They are, but that's on a Saturday. We don't know exactly what the special they're airing in the regular slot during the movie premiere week will consist of.