• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sun & Moon, your thoughts now vs first thoughts

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Well, it was sort of weird that a Darkinium Z was a Totem Pokemon's possession...and the fact there was a Dark-type Totem Pokemon at all. Does this either imply not all Z Crystals are officially handed down by Kahunas an anyone can hand them over, or other Totem Pokemon of different types that were never a thing in the games rule out a Kahuna from appearing? Then there's the fact we don't know how the Ultra versions will affect the rest of the anime since the anime adapted to new enhanced versions late into their episodes.
Hala himself stated in SM09 that Totem Pokémon rarely hand out Z-Cryatals, which implies that they sometimes do. After all, Totem Pokémon are working with the island guardian deities, and it's clear that Totem Gumshoos rewarded Ash with Normalium-Z because Tapu Koko wanted it to.

I think it's still a safe bet that all of the Kahunas from the games will appear in the anime, and Hapu and Nanu are no exception. There is no reason for them not to appear. Yes, it's possible that one or both might not have a role in USUM and thus not appear in the anime, but I think it's way too soon to jump to conclusions or make any assumptions like that. For now, it's safer to assume that all of the Kahunas are going to appear in the anime regardless of fans' personal opinions of them.

SinnohEevee

Since he's a police officer, Nanu better help liberate Po Town from Team Skull. I don't get why he didn't do it in the games.

desdar300

Because he knows that they're better off being there than them running amuck.
That and he doesn't really find them threating

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I dunno, they maybe don't take their crimes and intents likely, but the heroes have gotten complacent around Team Rocket VERY often.

Probably because you're not going to consider them too much of a threat after consistently defeating them, and knowing at least one of them (James) has some sort of conscience (Hoenn summer home episode should've proved that to them). Did Ash and co. ever actually learn Meowth's backstory? Or Jessie's? Besides, they do have sort of an "only one allowed to defeat you" thing going on with the twerps.

DatsRight

Probably because you're not going to consider them too much of a threat after consistently defeating them, and knowing at least one of them (James) has some sort of conscience (Hoenn summer home episode should've proved that to them). Did Ash and co. ever actually learn Meowth's backstory? Or Jessie's? Besides, they do have sort of an "only one allowed to defeat you" thing going on with the twerps.

True but Team Rocket have their 'not so harmless' moments, and they almost ALWAYS lead from after the twerps act a little smug around them. Not to mention while it's not shown that often, the TRio at their very best is quite a dangerous and ruthless menace indeed. The twerps have sometimes even lampshaded they came THAT close, who knows what would happen if they got cocky at the wrong time.

Red and Blue

Well, look like all of Ash's classmates aside from Kiawe are getting a Z ring. Though this might mean Ash isn't getting the Grassium Z.

TheWanderingMist

Well, look like all of Ash's classmates aside from Kiawe are getting a Z ring. Though this might mean Ash isn't getting the Grassium Z.

Or they'll both get it and Ash's will "evolve" (if the starter crystals don't already exist). It'd be neat if all the signature Pokemon got signature Z-Moves, though Alolan Vulpix doesn't have anything signature (besides maybe an association with Aurora Veil).

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
There is nothing stopping both Ash and Mallow from getting Grassium-Z, just like there is nothing stopping Ash from getting Firium-Z even though Kiawe already has it, or Sophocles from getting Electrium-Z even though Ash already has it (although by the time Ash gets to the Hokulani Observatory Trial, there's a chance he might have a Pikanium-Z), especially if Ash eventually gets the Decidium-Z, at which point he will no longer have use for the Grassium-Z. I like TheWanderingMist's theory about the Z-Crystals "evolving" into the starter-exclusive Z-Crystals.

Or they'll both get it and Ash's will "evolve" (if the starter crystals don't already exist). It'd be neat if all the signature Pokemon got signature Z-Moves, though Alolan Vulpix doesn't have anything signature (besides maybe an association with Aurora Veil).
Alolan Vulpix and Alolan Ninetails may not have signature moves, but they are still a chance to show off Icium-Z and, in the case Alolan Ninetails, Fairium-Z (provided Lillie acquires an Ice Stone and evolves Shiron, of course).

If all of the classmates are receiving Z-Crystals and Z-Rings (which seems to be a given at this point), then it would actually be kind of nice if Lillie, being the deuteragonist (as least, so far it appears she will be), receives one Z-Crystal more than the others.

nuzamaki90

So Kiawe had to fight Olivia to be able to use his Z-Ring. Would that mean Lana has to battle Olivia to be able to use the Z-Ring she found? Team Rocket made their own Z-Ring and found their own Z-Crystal but maybe it's because they are villains and don't abide by rules.

But if not, and Lana gets to use it anyway, then what was the point of Kiawe having to battle Olivia? Lol what the hell would even be the reason for the Island Trial Challenge if anyone can find and use their Z-Rings and Z-Crystals without having to battle the Kahunas?

Vipsoccermaster

So Kiawe had to fight Olivia to be able to use his Z-Ring. Would that mean Lana has to battle Olivia to be able to use the Z-Ring she found? Team Rocket made their own Z-Ring and found their own Z-Crystal but maybe it's because they are villains and don't abide by rules.

But if not, and Lana gets to use it anyway, then what was the point of Kiawe having to battle Olivia? Lol what the hell would even be the reason for the Island Trial Challenge if anyone can find and use their Z-Rings and Z-Crystals without having to battle the Kahunas?
I think the reason Kiawe battled Olivia was to see if he was worthy of owning the Z-Ring. Can't recall exactly, but it was explained in SM1 and SM2 (and SM11?).

Xuxuba

A sense of accomplishment i guess.

Janovy

Banned

The difference is that Kiawe's grandfather was an Island Kahuna and Kiawe wanted to inherit a Kahuna's Z-ring/Z-crystal. It would make sense that Kiawe would have to do more to earn it because it came with Firium-Z. Meanwhile Lana found the crystal out of which Z-rings are made, and she kinda earned it as well. Hadn't she stepped up to protect the Stoutland, it would never have warmed up to her and helped her find the Z-ring. Furthermore, even if Lana gets the Z-ring, it doesn't mean she gets Waterium-Z, she still doesn't have it.

Overall, it would appear you are massively exaggerating the entire situation. Lana getting lucky and finding a Z-ring is suddenly equivalent to 'everyone can easily find a Z-ring/Z-crystal these days' in your mind, when it's not even REMOTELY true. I really have no idea what you're going on about and it honestly sounds like yet another poorly thought out reason to criticize SM.

nuzamaki90

The difference is that Kiawe's grandfather was an Island Kahuna and Kiawe wanted to inherit a Kahuna's Z-ring/Z-crystal. It would make sense that Kiawe would have to do more to earn it because it came with Firium-Z. Meanwhile Lana found the crystal out of which Z-rings are made, and she kinda earned it as well. Hadn't she stepped up to protect the Stoutland, it would never have warmed up to her and helped her find the Z-ring. Furthermore, even if Lana gets the Z-ring, it doesn't mean she gets Waterium-Z, she still doesn't have it.

Overall, it would appear you are massively exaggerating the entire situation. Lana getting lucky and finding a Z-ring is suddenly equivalent to 'everyone can easily find a Z-ring/Z-crystal these days' in your mind, when it's not even REMOTELY true. I really have no idea what you're going on about and it honestly sounds like yet another poorly thought out reason to criticize SM.

Here you go with the massive SM Defense Force and unjust mislabeling. No one is attacking the series like you think is happening.

Okay so Kiawe had to battle Olivia to inherit the Z-Ring. My question is would Lana have to do the same thing in order to use the Z-Ring that she found. If she didn't, then what would be the point of having to fight Kahunas, which Ash is doing, besides getting their Z-Crystals?

I used TR as an example and bolded your statement for a reason. Since they are in fact random people in this region, as well as the Team Skull Grunts, who hold no authority or are even partaking in the challenge, but did however randomly find a Z-Crystal without even having to contact a Kahuna to take on the trial. And then using TR again, they made their own Z-Ring out of cardboard, which any person can do, and use the Z-Move to their liking. So even though I didn't say nor imply that, what you said is actually kind of true, that anyone can just up and find a Z-Crystal and/or a Z-Ring if they are lucky.

Again, I am asking what would be the point of having to battle Kahunas at all, if it's not a requirement to find or even use Z-Rings or Z-Crystals?

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I used TR as an example and bolded your statement for a reason. Since they are in fact random people in this region, as well as the Team Skull Grunts, who hold no authority or are even partaking in the challenge, but did however randomly find a Z-Crystal without even having to contact a Kahuna to take on the trial. And then using TR again, they made their own Z-Ring out of cardboard, which any person can do, and use the Z-Move to their liking. So even though I didn't say nor imply that, what you said is actually kind of true, that anyone can just up and find a Z-Crystal and/or a Z-Ring if they are lucky.

Again, I am asking what would be the point of having to battle Kahunas at all, if it's not a requirement to find or even use Z-Rings or Z-Crystals?
Today's episode showed that Z-Rings are not man-made objects; they are found and mined out of crystals. And they are required to be able to use Z-Crystals. My guess is that the Kahunas take these Z-Ring crystals and fashion them into usable, wearable Z-Rings. So, Team Rocket can't use the Darkinium-Z they found until they find a Z-Ring. The cardboard Z-Ring Meowth made is useless.

What's the point of having to battle Kahunas? Participating in the Island Challenge is apparently how a Trainer proves he or she is worthy and/or capable of wielding the power granted by Z-Moves (going by what Professor Kukui and Kiawe said in SM01 and SM02).

Olivia not only allowed Lana to keep the Z-Ring crystal her Ride Stoutland found, but, if I understood her correctly, she also offered to fashion it into a Z-Ring. So, Olivia apparently feels Lana deserved the Z-Ring. However, that Z-Ring is pretty much just an accessory until Lana acquires a Z-Crystal to use with it. It's possible Lana will have to undergo a trial of sorts (if not an actual Trial) in order to prove she is worthy of using Z-Moves.

TheWanderingMist

Today's episode showed that Z-Rings are not man-made objects; they are found and mined out of crystals. And they are required to be able to use Z-Crystals. My guess is that the Kahunas take these Z-Ring crystals and fashion them into usable, wearable Z-Rings. So, Team Rocket can't use the Darkinium-Z they found until they find a Z-Ring. The cardboard Z-Ring Meowth made is useless.

What's the point of having to battle Kahunas? Participating in the Island Challenge is apparently how a Trainer proves he or she is worthy and/or capable of wielding the power granted by Z-Moves (going by what Professor Kukui and Kiawe said in SM01 and SM02).

Olivia not only allowed Lana to keep the Z-Ring crystal her Ride Stoutland found, but, if I understood her correctly, she also offered to fashion it into a Z-Ring. So, Olivia apparently feels Lana deserved the Z-Ring. However, that Z-Ring is pretty much just an accessory until Lana acquires a Z-Crystal to use with it. It's possible Lana will have to undergo a trial of sorts (if not an actual Trial) in order to prove she is worthy of using Z-Moves.

I'm starting to wonder how TRio are going to be able to use their Z-Crystal. Perhaps Tapu Lele will give them one. Or Bewear will acquire one for them.

From Bulbapedia:

"For this, some consider it to be cruel for the way it destroys others as it scatters its scales for its own amusement. An old legend says that Tapu Lele ended a war between Alola's islands by healing the tired warriors with its scales, but rumors point to a more disturbing truth behind this story."