• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sun & Moon, your thoughts now vs first thoughts

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
At first, I had no desire to watch the Sun & Moon anime. I honestly hated the new animation at first. Everything just looked really weird at first.

But now that I’ve atched every episode from the SM anime, I can say it exceeded every expectation I had for it. Don’t judge the series based on the new animation. I did and it was a big mistake on my part. I have really been enjoying it so far and I’m looking forward to watching more of the series.

dp045

>Ani-poké
>Character development
The joke is counted alone.

Well, previously believed that SM was a very bad series, even for standards of the mediocrity of the anime. Today is still a bad series and an insult but it is an anime aimed at children from 5 to 10 years something harmless and without more substance. The really sad are the enemies that have the anime and the one that says that "everything makes sense" and that "it is not so bad". It's a bad series and period.

Rapiido

Honestly I've gotten used to the animation, more or less, by now. The environments and Pokemon always look top notch, and the characters to an extent are starting to look normal. Although any time they over-animate faces it just looks REALLY bad... they can change the style but I don't think they need to weaboo-fy the characters to do so...

mockingjay

swift and lol
The anime has always been pretty mediocre, and the Sun/Moon series started off pretty horrible but laughable. It's fine for kids under the age of 8 but anything over and I'm just like ?????????????????? no????????

However, the Stoutland and Gladion episodes are pretty great and shows that the writer are capable of something deeper and darker, but when your target audience are 6 year olds...

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I mean, does the Pokemon anime really need to be dark and edgy for the sake of being dark and edgy? Or just to appease to the western adult audience? For the most part, the games themselves don't have that much depth to their plot. Why should the anime have to?

I'd rather appreciate the anime for what it is rather than hate it for what it's not, is all. It's not trying to be a Shounen anime or something, it's trying to advertise the games.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I mean, does the Pokemon anime really need to be dark and edgy for the sake of being dark and edgy? Or just to appease to the western adult audience? For the most part, the games themselves don't have that much depth to their plot. Why should the anime have to?

I'd rather appreciate the anime for what it is rather than hate it for what it's not, is all. It's not trying to be a Shounen anime or something, it's trying to advertise the games.
I completely agree. I'd also much rather appreciate the anime for what it is than hate it for what it's not or what it's not meant to be. The anime is what it is, and there is no point in hoping that it will become something else it was not meant to be. It was meant to be a long-running advertisement for the games, and in that regard, it's been very successful. Also, as far as anime adaptations of video games go, Pokémon is actually one of the more engaging ones I've seen.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash

Yeah we saw how well that worked out last series...
The dark and edgy stuff just ends up feeling forced if it's used all the time imo.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

Thank you for making sense. Dark and edgy is a byproduct of a the plot rather than the plot itself. If writers deliberately tried to be too dark and edgy, they wouldn't have printed the script on white paper.

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
At first, I had no desire to watch the Sun & Moon anime. I honestly hated the new animation at first. Everything just looked really weird at first.

But now that I’ve atched every episode from the SM anime, I can say it exceeded every expectation I had for it. Don’t judge the series based on the new animation. I did and it was a big mistake on my part. I have really been enjoying it so far and I’m looking forward to watching more of the series.
Animation=/= Art Style

Get it right people it's just a new art style for Ash, the animation has improved

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Animation=/= Art Style

Get it right people it's just a new art style for Ash, the animation has improved

Heavily changed and inferior art style in favour of only slightly better animation (can't tell the 'improvement' half the time) still feels like an overall reduction in quality. What's the point in improving one aspect when the other is much worse.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Heavily changed and inferior art style in favour of only slightly better animation (can't tell the 'improvement' half the time) still feels like an overall reduction in quality. What's the point in improving one aspect when the other is much worse.

If you can't see the improvement I suggest you look at the episodes of Olivia's Grand Trial and Misty and Brock's cameo episodes. And given Alola's tropical and fun lighthearted attitude XY's art style wouldn't suit it.

The anime has always been pretty mediocre, and the Sun/Moon series started off pretty horrible but laughable. It's fine for kids under the age of 8 but anything over and I'm just like ?????????????????? no????????

However, the Stoutland and Gladion episodes are pretty great and shows that the writer are capable of something deeper and darker, but when your target audience are 6 year olds...
The anime was already intended for "6 years old" hence why even "dark and edgy" sagas like XY had a filtered kiss at the end of the series. Just because it has a funnish vibe doesn't mean older fans can't enjoy it but if you want a series to havs endless blood, killings or whatever Pokémon isn't for you.

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
The art style is simpler, without a doubt, but simpler is not necessarily inferior. I will take a simpler art style for an improvement in animation. And I don't think the animation is only "slightly better." The fluidity of the animation has greatly improved, but sometimes it can be subtle—little things, such as characters' hair moving when they run (this is especially noticeable with Ash, whose hair tended to be "gelled in place," even when he was running).

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
If you can't see the improvement I suggest you look at the episodes of Olivia's Grand Trial and Misty and Brock's cameo episodes. And given Alola's tropical and fun lighthearted attitude XY's art style wouldn't suit it.

The Kanto arc was the one time I truly saw the potential of the animation since hands down, they were the best looking battles in SM so far. Beyond that, not too much. I get that Alola is more tropical and fun, so I don't expect XY style art style, but the season before, BW, was also lighthearted, so why couldn't they just use that art style for Ash? Or, now that we've seen, M20 art style for Ash.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
The Kanto arc was the one time I truly saw the potential of the animation since hands down, they were the best looking battles in SM so far. Beyond that, not too much. I get that Alola is more tropical and fun, so I don't expect XY style art style, but the season before, BW, was also lighthearted, so why couldn't they just use that art style for Ash? Or, now that we've seen, M20 art style for Ash.
Wasn't M20 inspired from XY? I always thought that movie should of been apart of XY (although I know why it wasn't) because the artstyle was the same. While I deny that Pokémon is trying to be Yo Kai watch, the art style is definitely taking inspiration from it. And I don't blame them. It's good marketing. Little kids don't care about sharp art style because if that was the case things like Adventure Time would flop. They just want something thats simple and cute. So I think it came from a place of them wanting to please children, drawing inspiration from YKW and Alola in general.

Last edited:

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
To be fair, even the official art from the games looked different from the older style, so even if they kept the older style for Ash and Team Rocket, they would have stuck out like a sore thumb.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
To be fair, even the official art from the games looked different from the older style, so even if they kept the older style for Ash and Team Rocket, they would have stuck out like a sore thumb.

I was just thinking this especially characters like Lusamine, Olivia and Nanu look different from past characters in past games. I gave Ash, TR and everyone pre-Alola had to be edited.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I doubt the change in art style has much, if anything, to do with the tone of the series. It was about allowing for better, more fluid animation. A simpler art style, with simpler character designs, is easier to animate—simple as that. BW might have been lighthearted in tone like SM, but the animation was still stiffer, because the art style was more detailed and, thus, more difficult to animate. (I haven't seen M20 yet, so I can't speak for the animation outside of what's shown in the trailers, but the movies probably have a higher budget than the TV series, anyway.)

Studio Ghibli is a high-budget animation studio known for its gorgeous scenery and top-notch animation. And you know what? Their character designs are always simple, and that's most likely because simpler character designs are easier to animate. Yet you won't hear anyone calling Studio Ghibli's art style inferior to other anime just because of the simpler character designs.

Rajas

I don't mind the new art style tbh, it fits the tone of the region it's depicting and there are times it impresses me greatly (the rare full battles we see especially). That being said, battles in XY were quite good already imo (pretty fluid) and the art style in XY, BW, DP were all especially great to me already.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
I doubt the change in art style has much, if anything, to do with the tone of the series. It was about allowing for better, more fluid animation. A simpler art style, with simpler character designs, is easier to animate—simple as that. BW might have been lighthearted in tone like SM, but the animation was still stiffer, because the art style was more detailed and, thus, more difficult to animate. (I haven't seen M20 yet, so I can't speak for the animation outside of what's shown in the trailers, but the movies probably have a higher budget than the TV series, anyway.)

Studio Ghibli is a high-budget animation studio known for its gorgeous scenery and top-notch animation. And you know what? Their character designs are always simple, and that's most likely because simpler character designs are easier to animate. Yet you won't hear anyone calling Studio Ghibli's art style inferior to other anime just because of the simpler character designs.

Question if it was soley for fluid animation why do the Pokémon look exactly the same? I wasn't expecting them to have same big re-design but they look exactly like they did in XY. In fact I was a little turned off when TR returned looking like SM and Mewoth is still looking like XY.