• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Super Effective Comics Thread

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One
Not a manga per say, but close enough. There are a lot of jokes and joke related things regarding pokemon, and Super Effective Comics is probably one of the funniest. Yet I have yet to see any discussion regarding it. So here is a thread to talk about it, talk about the new strips, ask what memes you wish to be in it next, etc.

I definitely think there needs to be some jokes regarding shinies, trying to gently nudge a pokemon's health down but then accidently killing it, and let's get to the second gym and find some good jokes at Misty's expense.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
Scott outdid himself again. Unfortunately, like the main VG Cats site, the updates are scarce. ):

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One
Scott outdid himself again. Unfortunately, like the main VG Cats site, the updates are scarce. ):

IKR, it's like two years in and Red has only one gym badge and three pokemon. Wasn't a big fan of the new strips on green though. I thought you could do so much more with Rare Candies acting like steroids and the concept of evolutions. I did like it when Green went "freakin beautiful" though.

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One
OMG It's Red and Blue's Gold Sprites in the same thread!

Jk but I don't know if we get through the whole adventure. I can definitely imagine him burning out and not finishing what he started, which would disappoint me a lot.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
OMG It's Red and Blue's Gold Sprites in the same thread!
lol It becomes a big coincidence once you realize that we're both also using one of their default names.

Funnily enough, Scott's sporadic updates makes it all the more satisfying when he does get around to releasing a comic strip. I have faith that he will finish it up... one day. My personal favorite was when he was making fun of the Brock in the anime. "Just you. And me. Breeeeeeeding. 8D"

Last edited:

SmartD

I read the comic most of the time, although new comics take a really long time to come out.

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
Yeah, it's quite funny, but I like Super Effective better simply because the artwork feels more... Pokemon.

I don't mind the artwork on that though. I find that it fits the style of humor that comic is going for perfectly. The drawings are just funny-looking and that isn't a bad thing to me.

Last edited:

Hobgoblin2099

Shooting Star
"She's ten you sick ****!"

I lol'd.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
At the rate this is going, we have got about 14 more years intil Red gets his eigth badge.

well, Brian Clevinger kept up 8-bit Theater for over a decade (despite being based on the first, and one of the shorter Final Fantasy games), and it finally came to a proper conclusion just in the past year or so. There's hope that SE is the same.

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One

Profesco

gone gently
Super-Effective would be a great comic if it didn't only update half past never. It's too slow to keep up with the dozens of other webcomics (albeit few to no Pokemon-related ones) we can read.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I remember finding out about these comics on another website. At first I didn't think they were that funny but as time went on, I started to really appreciate them. The only thing I honestly dislike about this series of comics is the fact that it isn't updated regularly. Still, I like to check out the site every now and then to see if there have been any updates. The newest comic is pretty funny but I enjoyed the ones with Brock the most (especially the one about "breeding").

abraxas

Words.
Good stuff, but, as it has been said, a lack of a regular update tends to make it forgettable. The humor is simple and fairly good each comic, and the art is well done. Such a shame it hardly gets updated. =(

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One
But it seems like updates are coming faster now, and I actually like this a lot more than VG Cats (not a big fan of the art or content) so I am fine if updating it more regularly downs the VG Cats.

abraxas

Words.
Well, the last two were rather close together (#51 3/17/11, #52 3/26/11), so if they were to come at about that speed, it would be ok. A comic a week is how it should be to keep the people and interest going.
And, yes, VG Cats is meh. One of my least favorite online comics to date, but that's a thread for another time, yeah? =P