• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Super Mario Maker

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
What's up, everyone? I bought Super Mario Maker on Wednesday and I've given it a spin a few times so far. It makes curious to know what kinds of "Maker" games we'll see in the future. Zelda Maker, perhaps? Or Sonic Maker?

I don't really think we're going to get other "maker" games (except for maybe Mario Maker 2). The reason a Mario Maker works is really because of the inherent simplicity of side-scrolling Mario games. A Zelda maker really would be too complex to work that well. I suppose a Sonic maker could be a thing, but it seems unlikely that Sega would try to so blatantly copy Nintendo. Maybe Nintendo could do them for other side scrolling games, like a Donkey Kong Country or Kirby maker, but I'm not sure if they would translate as well as Mario does to the format.

Zachmac

I don't think creating 2D Zelda dungeon would be any more complicated than Mario Maker. That said, I have a hard time seeing it do as much as what Mario Maker can do.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I don't think creating 2D Zelda dungeon would be any more complicated than Mario Maker. That said, I have a hard time seeing it do as much as what Mario Maker can do.

They could probably make one, but I don't think it would work out nearly as well. I feel like Zelda has a bit more variety than Mario does, meaning not as many of its features would get a chance to be in the game, plus just having to build a bird's eye view dungeon would be so much more complex than building a side scrolling level, making the game less accessible to the layman, which was part of the point of Mario Maker. Also, consider how hard it would be to make proper puzzles. Not only would it be tricky for Nintendo to implement, but it would be very hard for a player to figure out.

R_N

a mario level is involved, but it's also just a single level that you play and test. Ideally, it won't last very long

Zelda Dungeons are more involved. Many rooms to design (possibly across multiple floors), puzzles to implement, bosses probably, probably doesn't lend itself to thevariety that MM does and probably more importantly zelda dungeons are much longer even at a basic concept (obviously mario levels can get quite long depending on how you snake through them)
dungeons take i dont know, upwards of an hour? Maybe longer depending on the game and the dungeon. That's a lot of time commitment unless they reign it back a lot.

Meanwhile Mario levels, on the whole, can be finished in a couple minutes and then you can instantly go to a new one and a newer one and so on

Genos

The Indigo Disk

monkeyman192

simply bored
Just bought this yesterday, still trying to unlock all the bits to make levels with.
I did make a level with just the intial assets. It is short but fun I think: A204-0000-008F-1B30

Finally! I was looking for a thread like this :D
Okay, so I have this one stage where Bowser rides a giant chicken which can be found here:
45E0-0000-008E-33A2

Pls give stars. I am poor :(

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
You know, I personally wish Expert Mode was cut down to eight courses. I know they wanted to emphasize the "expert" thing but when it comes to unlocking the costumes, it can become very tedious (and somewhat a little frustrating) for a player like me to have to go through challenging courses that are nigh-impossible to beat.

Or better yet, just remove the whole "Sorry, you beat Normal 40 times so no costume for you" thing altogether.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
You know, I personally wish Expert Mode was cut down to eight courses. I know they wanted to emphasize the "expert" thing but when it comes to unlocking the costumes, it can become very tedious (and somewhat a little frustrating) for a player like me to have to go through challenging courses that are nigh-impossible to beat.

That's why I kill time in Easy Mode, where I can "farm" for customes much faster.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Or better yet, just remove the whole "Sorry, you beat Normal 40 times so no costume for you" thing altogether.

Yeah, I just ran into the same problem. My brother hates it because he really wants a Sonic costume, but hasn't got one yet. Now he has to struggle through hard mode.

On a random tangent, I'm really annoyed by one level that made it to the top 100 in star count. It's called "I made this as Easy as I Could." It is literally the shortest distance possible between start and finish, and then a spring the forces you into the flagpole. This guy put absolutely no work into level whatsoever, and yet for some reason people are giving him stars. It's just offensive to those of us that are trying. Technically it's a don't move level, but unlike don't move levels, there's no artistry or work put into it. I wish I could leave a comment without having to leave a star. I would tell the guy how bad his level is.

Torpoleon

Yeah, unlocking the costumes is rather tedious. I am currently at 62 costumes, so I still have quite a bit of work to do (I set my expectations low, hoping to be have 80-something Mystery Mushroom costumes by the end of the month, keeping in mind the fact that I have college and the fact that Tri Force Heroes launches on the 23rd).

Right now I'm unlocking costumes on Normal because I've already unlocked all the costumes I can on Easy. I imagine I'm close to unlocking all the ones from Normal too. Unlocking them on Expert is going to be very tedious and annoying. I agree that the Expert level should only have 8 courses.

Torpoleon

After playing courses people upload I have some SMM pet peeves:
The auto levels: yeah it's a nice gimmick that you can have Mario beat the stage without touching any buttons, but I like many players want to play a game not watch a screen play.
Agreed, though it is refreshing to get those during the 100 Mario challenge. It's essentially a free pass. I got a lot of them in Easy and a handful of them in Normal.

I just unlocked all the costumes from Normal (and had all the ones from Easy for a few weeks now). Are there some auto levels in Expert?

Rakurai

Checkpoints are a godsend for players like me who enjoy making tougher levels, but still want people to be able to finish their levels, mostly because you're much more unlikely to get a star from a random player if they can't complete it.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Superteletubbies64

MAHINA-PEEEAAA!!!
Well, if it adds something new to the news drought, then yes.

The checkpoints and the Mushroom-then-Flower did seem like two things that were missing.

the video CLEARLY stated november 4rth

but I watched the dutch version of the video and it said 5th november

so PAL gets the update 1 day later? SO pissing off

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
the video CLEARLY stated november 4rth

but I watched the dutch version of the video and it said 5th november

so PAL gets the update 1 day later? SO pissing off
Unless, it's a time zone related phenomenon where it's all technically at the same time.

And why get huffy on just one day.

Edit: BTW, guys, Nintendo of America's Twitter is showing off a new Mystery Mushroom costume it seems.

Last edited: