• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Super Mario Series Discussion Thread

Shymain

Shaymin Lover
I can't believe that this hasn't already been made!

Some topics:

Which game did you feel was best?
Have you completed any of the games with 100%?
What was the hardest of the games?
Which world did you enjoy the most in the games?
What do you think should be added in the Super Mario series?

Personally, the hardest of the games was Super Mario DX. It was sooooo hard compared to the more recent games.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
I really enjoyed the Super Mario Advance series, especially the first one, it made SMB2 feel like a Mario game, I also 100% the SMW advance version, soda lake was such a hard area!

I really wish that there would be some consistency between mediums though, the RPG's have all these awesome areas that are never seen again, or are completely changed next time we see them.

Shymain

Shaymin Lover
Yeah, me too!

The first time I came upon Mario was way before I discovered what Mario was– my friend had a GBASP, and he had what I now know to be Super Mario DX. It was SO COOL– I was like, 'Wow! That's EPIC! Is that an evil turtle with spikes? Cool!'.

Years later, I have NSMB 1/2, have played Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. DX, Super Mario 64 for the DS, Super Mario 3D Land and Super Mario World. And I love the series.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

Either Galaxy or Galaxy 2, not sure which.

All of the 3D games.

The original.

This is a tricky question to answer. The games themselves are consistently good, but the last few have gotten too stale. I can't think of anything that the series really needs, but in general I would like to see more original ideas and less games that have this cookie cutter feeling (every NSMB game feels too similar, both 3D Land games feel to similar, etc).

Shymain

Shaymin Lover
I agree. Nintendo seems to have run out of ideas, and is now reusing material so that they don't have to do anything much apart from programming.

I have never 100% completed the game, but on NSMB, I'm on about 98% completion. Just need two star coins more.

I think that the Ice Flower needs to be brought into the handheld games, as I don't have any home consoles, and I love the Ice Flower. And they should enable online multiplayer for the Mario games, not just for LAN.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I think that the Ice Flower needs to be brought into the handheld games, as I don't have any home consoles, and I love the Ice Flower.

Well there was the Penguin Suit in NSMB Wii, but that didn't function quite the same way as Galaxy (you couldn't freeze water with it). But IDK, I think the Ice Flower is a bit OP anyway.

Power ups are nice, but I'm thinking more along the lines of new gameplay mechanics, like if they gave Mario new moves, or a new item or something.

Recon

Well there was the Penguin Suit in NSMB Wii, but that didn't function quite the same way as Galaxy (you couldn't freeze water with it). But IDK, I think the Ice Flower is a bit OP anyway.

Power ups are nice, but I'm thinking more along the lines of new gameplay mechanics, like if they gave Mario new moves, or a new item or something.

It's honestly much harder to create something new and innovative for a platformer than it is for a 3D game. You're basically restricted on a 2D plane for platformers, and there's only so much you can do with running and jumping. The best thing they can do is maybe a new powerup, like say transform into a bullet bill to fly forward for a short time. Or just make their 3D games 2D.

Shymain

Shaymin Lover
Well, something they could do in regards of new features is add a 'camo' power up where you would change into the first monster you touched, and it would basically make you one of them, except for you can control where you go, e.g. Controlling a Bullet Bill/Hammer Bro. Of course, there would have to be a time limit– or they could make it endless, and use it instead of the Gold Leaf.

Aurath8

Galaxy and Galaxy 2. They're so similarly fantastic I can't settle on one. Galaxy 2 had overall better level design while Galaxy had the initial impact factor and thanks to more spherical planetoids and starry backgrounds, it really felt like an epic space adventure.

The closest I've come is Galaxy 2. 241 stars. All comet medals. However, I don't want to kill myself trying achieve the ten minutes of platforming hell that is The Perfect Run. As it happens, I did beat the Grandmaster Galaxy without losing a life, but I still took damage and coveted every coin I found.

Definitely the original, at least out of the games I've played. I always forget wall-jumping, ground pounds, summoning power-ups mid level etc. don't exist yet. Losing you're Fire Flower means its just you and jumping until you get to the halfway point and can find another ? block.

Bolt the Cat said:

Which one, Galaxy Ice Flower or NSMB Ice Flower.

Well, something they could do in regards of new features is add a 'camo' power up where you would change into the first monster you touched, and it would basically make you one of them, except for you can control where you go, e.g. Controlling a Bullet Bill/Hammer Bro. Of course, there would have to be a time limit– or they could make it endless, and use it instead of the Gold Leaf.

This would be a great way of introducing new power-ups. But I think that some should have time limit and some shouldn't. Bullet Bills should have time limit, as infinite flight would break the game unless they designed a level around it. A Koopa Troopa or Hammer Bro shouldn't. We've had the Blue Shell and a Hammer Bro suit before. The latter suit was broken, but since Hammer Bros are rare enemies as it is that will keep it in check.
I suppose only a few enemies can have their powers copied. It'd be hard to design one for a goomba and some would just not work like Banzai Bill.

Last edited:

Shymain

Shaymin Lover
Yeah, that stuff should definitely be taken in consideration– it would suck if you turned into a Bullet Bill and flew through the whole level constantly, it would take the fun out of the game. So, I say each monster should have a different time limit, depending on a few factors, such as rarity, power, etc., and when you're not a monster, you can become the next one you touch. It would have to disappear at the end of each level, a la Golden Flower.

One thing I find repetitive is that there's always a Power-up by the halfway mark. The least they could do is hide it, or something, because it becomes very predictable. I'm not saying they should take them out, as I use them, but...

Torpoleon

Yeah, that stuff should definitely be taken in consideration– it would suck if you turned into a Bullet Bill and flew through the whole level constantly, it would take the fun out of the game. So, I say each monster should have a different time limit, depending on a few factors, such as rarity, power, etc., and when you're not a monster, you can become the next one you touch. It would have to disappear at the end of each level, a la Golden Flower.

One thing I find repetitive is that there's always a Power-up by the halfway mark. The least they could do is hide it, or something, because it becomes very predictable. I'm not saying they should take them out, as I use them, but...
Don't they hide the halfway Power-up sometimes? I assume there might have been exceptions to that.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
It's really nice to see back old power ups such as the tanooki and racoon in newer games. I'm hoping they'll bring back cape Mario cause that would be awesome to use again.

To me the best old mario game was Super Mario World. I didn't really play a lot in the SNES, but I did own the GBA version and loved it. I'm kinda surprised there were no original super Mario games in the GBA I think(the ported versions and spinoffs don't count).

The best new Mario games has to be Super Mario 3D Land. The gameplay was fantastic and the worlds were easy but very fun.

I wish they would make a Mario game where you can use Yoshi like. All the time just like in SMW. I'm quite disappointed the new Mario games on the consoles you only use Yoshi for some levels. I can't say a lot since I haven't played them yet. But I seen the walkthroughs and they feel quite easy but hard when it's 4 co-op.

Nevertheless I'm quite excited for the new Mario game this fall. I'm hoping to get the game once me and my brother get a Wii U.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
I think the reason we don't have a Perma Yoshi anymore is due to the Flutter-Jump, having all that extra air is too powerful when included with Yoshi's arsenal of moves. If they ported SMW Yoshi over it would be more balanced, or at least bring back the shell-power-ups, It'd be cool if in a game we'd get Yoshi, but it controls the way he did in SMW2 until we got hit. Maybe even making us perma-lose Yoshi until we found a new one.

TheEliteEmpoleon

Which game did you feel was best? Super Mario Galaxy. It was one of my first Mario games, and it was awesome. Great graphics, great gameplay, and it helped me grow majorly in platforming skills.

Have you completed any of the games with 100%? 64, 64DS, Sunshine, Galaxy, Galaxy 2, all NSMB games.

What was the hardest of the games? For me it was Galaxy. I was younger and still becoming a gamer. Certain purple coin stars took me a while to beat. Though now I can do them easily. Today I would say Sunshine.

Which world did you enjoy the most in the games? Ones that I really like include Delfino Plaza, most Galaxies in both games, and Tall Tall Mountain.

What do you think should be added in the Super Mario series? SMS2, SMG3, or a truly challenging game. Something for more advanced gamers. 3D world was not was I was hoping for at E3...

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I agree. Nintendo seems to have run out of ideas, and is now reusing material so that they don't have to do anything much apart from programming.

The Mario series has nearly almost always used the same formula since day-one, they just changed it up a bit.

Anyway, while I'm more of a casual gamer than anything else, I hold fond memories of the Mario games. In fact, majority of the games we have are Mario games, and they were all more-or-less fun games (I'll come back to you on Mario Golf). So I've played my fair share that I'll try my best to have a discussion.

Super Mario 64 hands down. I've tried my hand at the original Mario Bros. game, but I never got the hang of it. However, I was able to play this particular game fine that I messed around with it enough that I was able to finish the game on my own with little help. In face, I think it was Super Mario 64 that was my very first completed game, and I hold it near and dear to my heart because of that.

And yet, for some odd reason, I never enjoyed Super Mario Sunshine as much despite it being a similar game. I even was trying my hand at Super Mario Galaxy, but I hadn't gotten very far.

I do enjoy the Mario Party series, Mario Kart: Double Dash and Mario Power Tennis very much, though.

Super Mario 64. Maybe the first Mario Party.

The original.

Gonna add a question of my own.

Favorite music from any of the Mario games?

Dire, Dire Docks and the ending music from Super Mario 64 are amongst my top favorites ever when it comes to music. It may be the nostalgia talking, but there's just something really amazing, almost magical about those pieces of music that I can't really explain it in words.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Favorite music from any of the Mario games?

I can never pick favorite music from any game, but I'll list a few:

-Into the Galaxy(the intro theme for Super Mario Galaxy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfQgpd1OSBg)
-Good Egg Galaxy
-Vs. King Kaliente/Bugaboom/Topmaniac
-Bowser Jr.'s Theme
-Blue Sky Athletics (the Galaxy remix of the athletic theme from SMB3)
-Sky Station Episode 1
-Super Mario 3D Land's Castle theme

WildHennaCharizard

Super Mario World,that game has so many levels and secrects to find.

The early games in which that one hit from an enemy was instant death when your small

a game where you get to play as Bowser or the Koopa kids. Hey the relesed Super Princess Peach,where Peach was the hero ;why not Bowser?!

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Well, if it has Mario characters in it as main characters, I'd say it counts. I never got around to playing Super Princess Peach, if only because it's for the DS, and at the time it came out, I didn't have one. I eventually forgot about it xD. I'm a bit of a Princess Peach fan (I'm the only girl, I had leisure to play as her in Mario Party), and I've come to like her ever since Melee came out. So one of these days, I'm going to do myself a favor and find myself a copy, I don't care if the game is bad or whatever.

I actually forgot to put down Super Paper Mario in my first post here XD I was so tired. I haven't played the other Paper Mario games, but I really liked it. I enjoyed the characters, the story, the different worlds, there was just so much to like about it. I can tell they had so much fun with the dialogue, it's really hilarious at times. The Bitlands chapter in particular was so "schweet". Dear God the Bitlands chapter XD.