• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Super Mario Series

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.

So much praise and excitement for the remasters and I'm thinking... where's Super Mario Galaxy 2? Looks like a fun compilation, especially Sunshine. Only 3D Mario game I've never played.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I'm looking forward to playing Galaxy again but my main focus is on 3D World. Too bad it's coming later than most of the other things in the video.

Why are they limiting most of the content here until the end of March? I can understand wanting to entice fans for immediate sales but the games being taken down for no clear reason afterwards feels wrong.

shoz999

The most puzzling thing about this is the limited release of Super Mario 3D All-Stars for both physical and digital release until March 2021. Unless Nintendo has more games planned for 2020 and 2021, a collection of Mario's best and greatest 3D titles would easily make up as a replacement for the launch of a new Nintendo game. Or maybe they think a limited release window will cause sales to increase because they have nothing else to show until March but once again, they did not think about the scalpers. I hope this isn't Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition all over again.

Still looking forward to it but the limited release is still mind-boggling.

Ascended Dialga

Totally excited for 3D All Stars and it's about time Super Mario Sunshine got ported to a new console. A little disappointed that there's no Galaxy 2, though.

shoz999

It just hit me. The remastered version of Super Mario 64 is most likely the original version instead of the improved DS remake judging by the graphics. That's a shame. Not many games let's you play Luigi, Yoshi, or Wario in 3D even with Luigi's Mansion.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Anyone have any theories as to why Galaxy 2 isn’t a part of the 3D All Stars collection? I can’t think of anything unless there is another version of the collection with the game that won’t be limited just like how Super Mario World was added to the original Mario All Stars collection a year after the game was released.

shoz999

Anyone have any theories as to why Galaxy 2 isn’t a part of the 3D All Stars collection? I can’t think of anything unless there is another version of the collection with the game that won’t be limited just like how Super Mario World was added to the original Mario All Stars collection a year after the game was released.
I've noticed they also left it out of the Super Mario Montage featuring all the main Mario games. In fact, I think that's the only main Mario title left out which I find suspicious of course, like they have plans for Galaxy 2 in the future and my guess is they are either going to release it as a free update or most likely as DLC in the future. I wanna say it's because they haven't remastered Galaxy 2 in time but it's most likely just business, we all know Nintendo can be like this some way. I have a hunch they won't release it as part of another collection considering their trends recently, more like they will update on the 3D collection they have now. With that being said, them leaving out Super Mario Galaxy 2 from both the collection currently and the montage kind of bothers me a bit lol. Out of the two Galaxy games, Galaxy 2 is the best and more challenging one. Not insanely hard but I would say, way more fun than the original Galaxy and the original Galaxy is in many ways, like a masterpiece.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I'm mildly disappointed in 3D All Stars, but not entirely surprised. It's literally just the 3 games on a cart with some minor graphical updates that I can't even notice. They're all great games and I'll definitely enjoy replaying them, but I'm not exactly over the moon for these. Also not terribly miffed about Galaxy 2 being absent since I felt it was the weakest of the bunch.

I'm more excited for 3D World, and I can't believe I'm saying that because I hated the entire direction they took that game, but Bowser's Fury looks to be so unlike the base game in all of the right ways. I hated how linear and rehashy 3D World felt, which was pretty much the exact opposite of what I wanted to see in a 3D Mario game, but Bowser's Fury is definitely not the former and I suspect it won't be the latter either. The level shown in the teaser definitely seems to have opened things up a lot more and seems like the gameplay may be more than just the typical linear Mario fare, on top of being a fairly unique setting that seems like it might be delving into the lore behind the Super Bell. I'll have to wait until we hear more about this mode, namely about the scope of this mode and what the gameplay is like, but I might actually get this game. Never thought I'd be excited for a 3D World port of all things.

R_N

I'm mildly disappointed in 3D All Stars, but not entirely surprised. It's literally just the 3 games on a cart with some minor graphical updates that I can't even notice. They're all great games and I'll definitely enjoy replaying them, but I'm not exactly over the moon for these. Also not terribly miffed about Galaxy 2 being absent since I felt it was the weakest of the bunch.

I'm more excited for 3D World, and I can't believe I'm saying that because I hated the entire direction they took that game, but Bowser's Fury looks to be so unlike the base game in all of the right ways. I hated how linear and rehashy 3D World felt, which was pretty much the exact opposite of what I wanted to see in a 3D Mario game, but Bowser's Fury is definitely not the former and I suspect it won't be the latter either. The level shown in the teaser definitely seems to have opened things up a lot more and seems like the gameplay may be more than just the typical linear Mario fare, on top of being a fairly unique setting that seems like it might be delving into the lore behind the Super Bell. I'll have to wait until we hear more about this mode, namely about the scope of this mode and what the gameplay is like, but I might actually get this game. Never thought I'd be excited for a 3D World port of all things.
I am more than convinced that the "level" they showed for Bowser's Fury is just another world and all those cat ear arches will, in the final game, have little level dots

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I am more than convinced that the "level" they showed for Bowser's Fury is just another world and all those cat ear arches will, in the final game, have little level dots

I don't think so. They have powerup blocks and fences to climb on which is a LOT more interactive than 3D World's map screen. I don't think we're looking at a map screen, it looks more like an actual level.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
I wonder how the fludd mechanics will work in this Mario Sunshine version since the Switch shoulder buttons don't have travel.

Ascended Dialga

I wonder how the fludd mechanics will work in this Mario Sunshine version since the Switch shoulder buttons don't have travel.
The R button could spray while the ZR button could stop-and-spray.

R_N

I don't think so. They have powerup blocks and fences to climb on which is a LOT more interactive than 3D World's map screen. I don't think we're looking at a map screen, it looks more like an actual level.
There are ? blocks, but, the original game also had that on its maps. Also things like the occasional passage way and warp pipe.
the rotating fences, while definitely notable, are also...quite simple. I am much more willing to believe that this entire world is them wanting to have a spicy new hub level vaguely reminiscent of oddysey. A light exploration/platforming element.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
The original Galaxy tries to be on the fence between 64-style sandbox and Galaxy 2-style obstacle courses that lead into the next obstacle course, but there's no denying Galaxy is a different cut from 64, Sunshine, and Odyssey.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
There are ? blocks, but, the original game also had that on its maps. Also things like the occasional passage way and warp pipe.
the rotating fences, while definitely notable, are also...quite simple. I am much more willing to believe that this entire world is them wanting to have a spicy new hub level vaguely reminiscent of oddysey. A light exploration/platforming element.

Hmm, well a full hub world is a possibility. It's probably not a map screen though, the map screens are too simplistic for even things like the rotating fences.

Wasn't Galaxy 2 set up somewhat differently from Galaxy 1? As in Galaxy 1, Sunshine, and 64 were all more sandbox-collectathon things? Maybe that's why even if it is kind of a dumb thought lol

The original Galaxy tries to be on the fence between 64-style sandbox and Galaxy 2-style obstacle courses that lead into the next obstacle course, but there's no denying Galaxy is a different cut from 64, Sunshine, and Odyssey.

Galaxy and Galaxy 2 seemed like they were trying to transition 3D Mario from the 64/Sunshine sandboxes to the 3D Land/3D World style linear style games. Galaxy made the levels more linear, but still had a full hub world. Galaxy 2 brought back the map screens and streamlined the levels to be one main mission with a few option stars.

It actually looks like Bowser's Fury is trying to balance both gameplay styles. There was a lot of backlash against 3D World for not being a sandbox style Mario game at the time and while 3D World still did well, there was still that sort of untapped market for sandbox platformers until they brought them back with Odyssey. But then once Odyssey came out, the people that liked 3D World wanted a linear 3D Mario game felt left out and wanted a 3D World port (or a new 3D series game, but 3D World port was more likely) so they would have something to play on the Switch. I'm wondering if Nintendo is trying to experiment with ways to satisfy both styles with one game with Bowser's Fury. That probably is the best way to go about it going forward.