• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Super Metal (Steel Team)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightofRawr

Don't underestimate
.:Super Metal:.
227.gif
530.gif
462.gif
448.gif
485.gif
212.gif
I'm on a run of trying to make solid teams based around all 17 types, here is my second type to focus on, Steel

227.gif

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 164 SDef / 92 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock

This guy is my main lead, he sets out Spikes and Stealth Rock against the other team and can Taunt any other leads into being ineffective. It's ability Sturdy can keep it alive to make at least one move if the other Pokemon is faster.

530.gif

Doryuuzu (M) @ Balloon
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor

This guy is a sold physical attacker, he can take out fire type threats against my team while also staying strong against Psychic types and Dark types. His balloon keeps him safe from most first hit ground attacks.

462.gif

Magnezone @ Balloon
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 204 HP / 252 SAtk / 52 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Charge Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Change
- Substitute

This guy is a Special attacker. His fire hidden power will take out the grass and bug types if we ever come in contact with any. His balloon is needed greatly for it eliminated first hit Ground Moves.

448.gif

Lucario (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Aura Sphere
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Rock]
My Special Sweeper, his fighting type was needed to take down rock types and annoying Normal types like Blissey.

485.gif

Heatran (M) @ Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Dragon Pulse

212.gif

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Night Slash

As you can see my team is built around sweeping and not much support or walls. I'm not sure how to improve it but it does not seem to do that well in battles. Help me? :)

Last edited:

123fakestreet

Metalopolis King
IDE maybe swap shabagaro for CB scizor considering quick claw is banned and he's way to slow to be sweeping soon, hes a tank not a sweeper :)

GreenGrass

Though going for sweeping over defense is a sound strategy, it kinda feels like a violation of the soul of Steel types (as you can tell from my Platinum team, I'm also a fan.) I'd at least add an Aggron or something.

But of course, this is totally optional.

KnightofRawr

Don't underestimate
IDE maybe swap shabagaro for CB scizor considering quick claw is banned and he's way to slow to be sweeping soon, hes a tank not a sweeper :)

I'm not really a fan of Choice Items, but I do like this set:

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Night Slash

I think I'll try it out and see how it goes.... I'll keep you filled in

Greengrass said:
Though going for sweeping over defense is a sound strategy, it kinda feels like a violation of the soul of Steel types (as you can tell from my Platinum team, I'm also a fan.) I'd at least add an Aggron or something.

But of course, this is totally optional.
Who would you suggest switching out for Aggron?

Mewtwo_soul

Servant of Mewtwo #1
Heatran and Nitro Charge without a way to recover seems personally a bad idea. (LO will just kill it if any EQ runner is going. (not that NC is bad to set it up for sweeping---> Kind of the point) but eh, I don't know about it.

I disagree with adding Aggron.

Haxorusfan

Dragon Trainer
OK so you have an all steel party but NO Ferrothorn. Also You need to not focus as much on sweeping. At least have one or two pokemon that aren't sweepers. Good party except for to many sweepers. Try Ferrothorn and another pokemon.

pikamanepicfail45

<dont dis da awsmnes
I would teach Skarmory roost so its got a way to recover. Keep Skarmory and DON'T use Ferrothorn- it can barely attack Skarmory and Skarmory will recover Leech Seed damage with Roost.

Heatran, shouldn't have a life orb. give it a Balloon. Try to add Torment somewhere in the set, too. Take out Flame Charge because Speed isn't very important.

Haxorusfan

Dragon Trainer
no I wasn't thinking to replace Ferrothorn for Skarms. Bugwarrior just needs to get away from only sweepers. I was thinking he could put Ferrothorn in for Magnezone. And when I looked at this party again, I do think Heatran needs a balloon.

pikamanepicfail45

<dont dis da awsmnes
I think that you should take off Excadrill, because it NEEDZ Sand Rush to outspeed everything.

Mewtwo_soul

Servant of Mewtwo #1
Since OP is running a Mono team. (Steel), I'm not sure if getting rid of the one sure fire Fire-Pokemon checker is worth taking out. (Excadrill) Sure it doesn't get the sandstorm but Heatran won't live long enough against EQ users with the LO set to kill them (and even if it attempts a stall a forceswitch into a counter is going to happen on guess prediction even with a balloon it won't last long and if someone hits it at all... Balloon dies)

Also just a note (I haven't done my damage calcs on it) but SS Lucario isn't as effective at countering Blissey as say Scizor who just beats it to death. (Super Power= OVERKILL in a good way)

Also I agree with removal of Mag for Ferro. You aren't running a sub-Charge set anyway (with HP Fire) thus you might as well put Ferro in.

Then again you could just make it more annoying with:

-Sub
-Charge Beam
-HP Fire
-Volt Change

Which would make it switching a pretty damaging blow add to the fact it is bulky... Well draw your own conclusions.

Haxorusfan

Dragon Trainer
does the balloon die from stealth rock??? if so balloon is only good for leads

KnightofRawr

Don't underestimate
Ok so I took all these changes into consideration, I'm going to keep Magnezone and not take up Ferrothorn, I'm using him in my mixed team anyways and I just want to change it up. Thanks for the help, you can see the changes in the first post. I'm going to try Hidden Power [Electric] on Heatran instead of Nitro Charge based on what I have seen it have difficulties with.

By the way I have been using Pokemon Online to test these out, thank you so much guys.

Mewtwo_soul

Servant of Mewtwo #1
@Haxor=No. Balloon only goes away if hit by a direct move. Anything like Leech Seed/Hazards/Weather does not count. (I'm pretty sure that Counter and the like fit into that category.)

@Bugwarrior: If Skarms set doesn't work (just a consideration not a pure suggestion) if you have problems with it I'd add in Roar/WW somewhere in the move set (either SR/Spikes) so you can phase the opposing team if it isn't killed as lead. If it works out, then never mind.

Also now Mag may not need Balloon as even with Sub it loses it on getting hit,but you could put leftovers to increase the durability. (adding more sub abuse)

Ragnarok

#BeastMode
Staff member
Super Mod
You need to expand on your descriptions for Lucario, and add descriptions for Scizor and Heatran. If that isn't done in 24 hours then this gets locked.

CROWN

Quintessant Ruin
Your team seems like pretty basic but we need descriptions if you want us to rate. Exactly what do you want Heatran and Scizor for?
However I will say that wihtout Life Orb that heatran is still going to get owned. While Balloon eliminates your ground weakness, Life Orb gives it the extra kick it needs for OHKOing. Without being able to retaliate against say water types like Vappy and OHKO balloon does you no good. If I were you I'd go ahead and go for LO rather than Balloon. If you don't want to lose Heatran, switch to one of your other Balloon holders. The result is a free switch in to something that can better handle one of Heatran's weaknesses.

Mewtwo_soul

Servant of Mewtwo #1
Your team seems like pretty basic but we need descriptions if you want us to rate. Exactly what do you want Heatran and Scizor for?
However I will say that wihtout Life Orb that heatran is still going to get owned. While Balloon eliminates your ground weakness, Life Orb gives it the extra kick it needs for OHKOing. Without being able to retaliate against say water types like Vappy and OHKO balloon does you no good. If I were you I'd go ahead and go for LO rather than Balloon. If you don't want to lose Heatran, switch to one of your other Balloon holders. The result is a free switch in to something that can better handle one of Heatran's weaknesses.

Eh, actually after calcs, a 252 SPA (non boosted nature) Vs. 0 HP/0SPD (non boosted nature) Heatran is still only KO'd 80% of the time with Hydro Pump. Considering, people prefer to max out the HP of Vap with DF/SPD most of the time, (at most I've seen 100 SPA added, and most don't run Modest nature)...

That dramatically decreases the chance of Heatran getting KO'd. In any case without REst/Talking or some way to recover Heatran is dead weight on the team. (Dragon Pulse/ HP Grass could work in that way) and the EV distribution could be set up to make sure it can survive... Besides that, it's kind of obvious in most sets you don't switch Heatran in on Vaps, especially with Magneton running Chargebeam who just wants them to switch out for a Sub. Sure if you face Hippowdon, that's going to hurt... However, a pure mono Steel team has problems facing any Sandstorm team.

Note: Quite a few people run Vaps with Surf from what I've seen in many matches. Not everyone but... Just kind of pointing that out.)

Ragnarok

#BeastMode
Staff member
Super Mod
Thread locked, if you want this unlocked pm me the descriptions of the pokemon I mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.