• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Super-Secret Bases Discussion Thread

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
To solve the Talonflame problem, I would suggest maximizing Lucario's speed and teaching it Rock Slide or Stone Edge. It could work well.

Useless considering the ai is terrible and tflame makes brave bird a priority move. If anything truant Durant is going to demolish everything...And i mean everything in any secret base gym with the ai troubles.

Baby V Alex

I'll probably be using a Fighting-Type Gym, with Mega Lucario serving as my Ace in the hole. I've got Six Fighting Types prepared to serve as my Team, though my biggest weakness would be someone bringing a Talonflame and Spamming Brave Bird till the end of time, I need to find a way around that. I'm still undecided on what kind of theme my Fighting Gym could have though. Anyway, considering that Lucario is gonna be my Fighting Bases' Ace, I'm hoping for a Lucario themed Decoration to show up here, the Litwick and Stunfisk decorations give me hope, as it means Pokemon not native to Hoenn could get a Decoration modeled after them.

You can put someone who can learn stealth rock + focus sash as your lead or something and BOOM goodbye Talon's 65% of HP.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
You can put someone who can learn stealth rock + focus sash as your lead or something and BOOM goodbye Talon's 65% of HP.

And then pray for the AI to use SR...Yep a gym in concept is fun but the Battle facilities showed me 2 things...

1.-The AI is bad. It refuses to switch, it will always go for the ko ignoring Status moves, it will even try to burn an ally fire pokemon recently.

2.-The AI cheats. Make a team of sixscarfers with OHKO moves now awe at the power. Or put strong 70-85% acc moves they will always hit and crit.

I really think the AI migth ruin sone of the fun in SB other than showing off shinnies...Assuming they keep The shinny sprite and Nicknames due to GF idea of censorship.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I think we are being far too quick in condemning the Secret Base AI.

We don't know yet how it is going to be implemented. It could very well be amazingly designed and balanced; we could even end up having more control over the AI than we think. Have a little hope, guys. We won't know until we know.

lindsy95

FC: 4428-2451-8791
I hope the floorboards are available earlier (or the holes in the floor or gone, but I'm not sure if they've been in videos or not)

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
I think we are being far too quick in condemning the Secret Base AI.

We don't know yet how it is going to be implemented. It could very well be amazingly designed and balanced; we could even end up having more control over the AI than we think. Have a little hope, guys. We won't know until we know.

6 gens of it being terrible outside of hax say otherwise.

Mega Leafeon

Some call me... Tim.
I'm liking the idea of Secret Bases... but it's just recycling the idea from Pokemon Pearl/Diamond/Platinum/Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. And I can see the logic for doing it since it's a remake of Ruby and Sapphire, but I wish there was just a little bit of more originality in the idea, for example how D/P included the mines. The 'capture the flag' game is also the same, I think they could have done something a little different, such as a 'hide and seek' game where the base owner can place their 'flag' onto any square/object and it remain invisible. Other people would then have to find where the flag is hidden.

The battle scheme is an interesting idea though, and the ability of turning your base into a gym is definitely very appealing, I hope it lives up to the expectations~~

R_N

Well, you can remain skeptical.

I'm going to remain hopeful.

I highly doubt they are going to suddenly and out of nowhere fine tune the AI into a well-balanced machine

I'm guessing you'll be able to set the level of AI from brain-dead to hates-you (you know, the range of the battle tower) and probably be able to set basic things like "favor offense" or "favor defense" and so on

In emerald's battle frontier, didn't you get an apprentice that you could set the AI for? I bet it will work close to that.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
I highly doubt they are going to suddenly and out of nowhere fine tune the AI into a well-balanced machine

I'm guessing you'll be able to set the level of AI from brain-dead to hates-you (you know, the range of the battle tower) and probably be able to set basic things like "favor offense" or "favor defense" and so on

In emerald's battle frontier, didn't you get an apprentice that you could set the AI for? I bet it will work close to that.

Yeh almost forgot abiut the aprentices odd i had like 6 of them in one game. But still they where terriblemost of the time.

Standard Luxury

Pleasure at leisure
Even if the AI is bad, I still think it's a cool feature to implement. I feel most players have wanted to make their own gym for a longtime and GF acknowledging that is nice.

Even if the AI is terrible.

Couldn't you mix up the typing of the trainers leadin up the gym leader? Like a hard rain team then the next team is a sand or sun team?? Wouldn't that create a hard enough challenge regardless of AI ?? Assuming this is E-4 challenge like(no leaving the secret base and no healing spots except for wht you brought)

Of course Mono typing is usually the theme to a gym. The idea here is to have a good counters with the trainers leading up to the gym leader. Anyone follow me ? Lol

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Even if the AI is terrible.

Couldn't you mix up the typing of the trainers leadin up the gym leader? Like a hard rain team then the next team is a sand or sun team?? Wouldn't that create a hard enough challenge regardless of AI ?? Assuming this is E-4 challenge like(no leaving the secret base and no healing spots except for wht you brought)

Of course Mono typing is usually the theme to a gym. The idea here is to have a good counters with the trainers leading up to the gym leader. Anyone follow me ? Lol

Entrainment durant + protect shellsmash lum berry cloyster. Just enjoy the fireworks.

I havnt had a lot of practice against the two but would Fire Spin put a hurting on Durant assuming it's sashed ?

It's a Durant

Just...use any special fire attack

I was kinda assuming sashed then he could survive and KO you then use entrainment on another pokemon. So fire spin would limit it to 1 entrainment trap. Jus my competitive/NOOB idea lol.

R_N

I was kinda assuming sashed then he could survive and KO you then use entrainment on another pokemon. So fire spin would limit it to 1 entrainment trap. Jus my competitive/NOOB idea lol.

I think that Durant prefers the scarf, not the sash. Entry Hazards, etc. You shouldn't need a second shot, you want it to die so you can get your set up sweeper in fast.

Mav-san

F*cking veteran
There's no much use crying over the AI. We're in Gen VI, nearly 15 years after the first game released, and they never made any effort in increasing the AI. It's not like they can't, it's that they don't want and won't. In the end, the target audience will for Pokémon games will always be children, and they have to make the game accessible.

Of course, there's always the possibility of adding difficulties, but aside from the Challenge mode in Black (which doesn't really get an AI boost either), they never did it before and dropped it this Gen. I think there's also the intention of Game Freak in making the game easy, because aside from children, the other target audience are more casual gamers. Game Freak doesn't want Pokémon to be a difficult strategy RPG, it wants the game to be simple, easy and fun.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
There's no much use crying over the AI. We're in Gen VI, nearly 15 years after the first game released, and they never made any effort in increasing the AI. It's not like they can't, it's that they don't want and won't. In the end, the target audience will for Pokémon games will always be children, and they have to make the game accessible.

Of course, there's always the possibility of adding difficulties, but aside from the Challenge mode in Black (which doesn't really get an AI boost either), they never did it before and dropped it this Gen. I think there's also the intention of Game Freak in making the game easy, because aside from children, the other target audience are more casual gamers. Game Freak doesn't want Pokémon to be a difficult strategy RPG, it wants the game to be simple, easy and fun.

I think an additional reason is that Pokémon is a community-based franchise.

Players spend more time battling other players than battling AI, so Game Freak may have felt that improving the AI was unnecessary. I strongly disagree on that notion, however. I would love for Pokémon games to be more difficult, especially considering X & Y was the easiest to get through. For me, Gen 2 was the hardest.