• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Super Sentai (The other side of Power Rangers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiyonder

Overlord
While the shows are sometimes brought up in the Power Rangers thread, I thought I'd see if it could carry enough discussion as more of a focus.

Overall, I'll have more to post later, but for now with Zyuranger getting an official release in the US soon, I think I'll start with that here.

I'd say it's a bit overrated by those who emphasize the fact that it's not as held back by censorship and that it's allowed to be more intense. It's high points regardless is definitely Burai, as well as Geki's relation with him. Plus Bandora and crew are entertaining to watch (and I've enjoyed Bandora's song since it actually was shown in Power Rangers Funniest Moments).

But compared to say Jetman and Timeranger (where the cast as a whole arguably are more memorable), I'd say it's average. Still I enjoyed it and recommend it as a whole on being fun. A few other favorite moments:
1. The team getting their weapons through a journey worked as opposed to merely getting them from their mentor from the getgo.

2. For the same reason I like how the Zyurangers had to get a special herb to defeat Dora Circe (Pudgy Pig). Plus having to eat a large feast was good for some humor.

3. Goushi disguising himself as a warrior of Bandora to prompt Geki into battling Dora Narcissus (Octoplant).

4. Overall, I really can't say that "A Bad Reflection on You" or it's Zyuranger version is better. The Sentai version is enjoyable due to the team befriending the old lady who helps them out when they are framed, plus I thought it made for a nice touch on the deception front to have Dora Mirage (Twin Man) and the four Golem Soldiers (Putty Patrollers) taking the form of civilians while the real Zyurangers. While the Power Rangers episode I'd say is enjoyable if only because of Bulk and Skull's antics in detention.

Like I said, it's not necessarily the best Sentai in existence, but it's worth checking out. Heck, as the plot of MMPR Season 1 was greatly different, Zyuranger is interesting to see if only to see characters that look familiar in different context.

SmartD

I've watched Boukenger, Goseiger, Gokaiger, and Akibaranger seasons 1 and 2. I'm thinking about watching one of the older ones, maybe Dekaranger. The new Ninja sentai looks interesting.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I haven't watched to many full seasons. I've seen all of Kakurangers (and loved it) most of Hurricanger, some of Ohranger, Dairanger, Gokaiger, Carranger, and Abaranger. Hopefully I'll finish them all at some point and see more.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
I've watched:
Dairanger
Hurricanger
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger
Go-onger
Gekiranger
Goseiger
Gokaiger
Kyoryuger
Go-Busters
ToQger
Anyways I don't consider the counterparts to these any better or worse then these are but all I care about is how enjoyable they are. The only series I got bored with is Goseiger. Most Sentai series have fun aspects about them here and there which Akibaranger tries to convey to viewers.

Antiyonder

Overlord
Anyways I don't consider the counterparts to these any better or worse then these are but all I care about is how enjoyable they are. The only series I got bored with is Goseiger. Most Sentai series have fun aspects about them here and there which Akibaranger tries to convey to viewers.

Yeah, I tend to avoid those kinds of debates (or flame wars). Anytime I feel like Sentai handles it better comes from a lot more important traits rather than "it's so kewl because it's grimdark". Those cases include:

1. Gokaiger: SMF is at best fun. But it wants to have it both ways. It barely develops the show on it's own merits, but the fanservice given, even in the extended version of the finale just doesn't do much for commemorating 20 years of Power Rangers. Gokaiger not only dripping fanservice throughout, but the cast is well characterized, thus even the non-tribute episodes keep on entertained.

But then, it's not even a case of the Sentai doing both and succeed, Power Rangers Dino Thunder while more modest delivers great fanservice and is a good show in it's own right as I bring up here: http://s8.zetaboards.com/The_Living_Room/topic/8511263/

2. Timeranger: Actually, I enjoy Time Force a lot still. The only problem is that Judd Lynn wanted to give it, a voice of it's own. Jonathan Tzachor worked more on merely making a copy/paste of Timeranger (Notably not doing much with the angle of mutants being oppressed aside from Notacon). So the Sentai version is better if only because it is more coherent in presentation.

Ilikepiex7

I've watched
Jetman
Hurricanger
Dekaranger
Magiranger
Boukenger
Gekiranger
Go-onger
Gokaiger
Kyoryuger
and a couple of episodes from Abaranger, Goseiger, Megaranger, Timeranger, Go-busters, and ToQger

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Shows completed
•Gokaiger
•Kyoryuger

At least gotten halfway
•Dairanger
•Go-Onger
•Shinkenger
•ToQGer

Dairanger was fun, but got really formulaic and just lost interest. Hoping to get back someday though now that it's been several months since I watched an episode. Shinkenger was in that arc about the bull, and just kinda lost interest. Again, willing to go back someday and finish it since I liked the characters a lot. Definitely gonna try to catch up to ToQGER sometime this week.

Antiyonder

Overlord
At any rate, I'd suggest whether anyone reading the thread likes Zyuranger or wants to check it out, pre-order or purchase it as soon as possible.

Doing so helps to ensure we will have more Sentai available to us on the US Shores (I believe Dairanger and Kakuranger will be next if this one sells).

SmartD

Does anyone have favorite Sentai theme songs? My favorites:

Dairanger
Ohranger
Megaranger
Timeranger
Gaoranger
Hurricanger
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Go-Onger
Shinkenger
Gokaiger
Go-Busters

Antiyonder

Overlord
^^^Yeah, the BGM and opening themes are definitely a high point in watching these shows. Some of my favorite themes in no ranking order:
- Zyuranger
- Carranger
- Kyoryuger
- Gokaiger
- Liveman
- Abaranger
- Magiranger
- Hurricanger
- Gekiranger
- Gaoranger
- Timeranger
- Gingaman
- GoGoV
- Megaranger

Dax

Legend
Is Go-Busters good? I've been meaning to watch that but I'm undecided between that and Magiranger.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
Is Go-Busters good? I've been meaning to watch that but I'm undecided between that and Magiranger.
Yes it is. Enter is great and it also has the greatest xmas episode of all time for Sentai so far. It'd be cool if you get to that episode before xmas starts for extra cool points.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Has anyone seen the promos for Ninninger?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFOYlBtYgSk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDj0dJaRwLI

The costumes and face masks look pretty cool.

I've been watching a rewatching them. I love ninja themed Sentai. I loved Kakurangers! I enjoyed Hurricangers as well. So that's 2 ninja Sentai I am a fan of. So this one, I can already tell I'm going to love. The suits look amazing, the actors looks like they will be fun, and two girl ninjas on a Sentai team. I wanted this in the original Kakuranger. It feels like I'm getting my wish. I cannot wait until this airs. I'm so excited.

HoennMaster

Does anyone have favorite Sentai theme songs? My favorites:

Im still new to SS, but of all the songs I've heard, Goseiger's ending in my favorite.

Ilikepiex7

anyone looking forward to the next super hero taisen film? The secondary rider from den-o is appearing in it

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Akaninger looks so much like Kyoryu Red, with the head coat on his jacket and facial expression. And Aoninger looks so much like Hamada from Downtown. I'm almost expecting a gorilla joke and him hitting Akaninger everytime he does something stupid lol

Ilikepiex7

I would how the brother sister thing is going to Work with Akaninger and Shironinger since it's the first time with the team leader dealing with a younger slipping on a non family team

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
The second TV commercial for Ninninger

Liking the cast more now than I used to. The fodder enemy design is not as great as the ToQGer's Crows, but that one MOTW (I think) looks great. Reminds me of one of the big baddies in Boukenger.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
The more I see from this Sentai, the more excited I get. I simply cannot wait for it to come in February. The monsters enemies look cool as well. So excited to see this.

Status
Not open for further replies.