• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Super Smash Bros. Thread (Read the First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

woot21

super noob
You people do realize the people who make these spend months "researching" before making any type of change to them, right? Plus if any of you plated anyone who works on those in a competitive enviroment, it wouldn't matter who they used and who you used, you will be destroyed.

woot21 out dawgs

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
To alleviate this, here's a summary of a recent interview between Sakurai and Iwata talking about the game (neither version is in development yet, unfortunately)

- Sakurai is using his experience working with Kid Icarus 3DS to smooth the development process of 3DS smash. Mentions he would randomly think about Smash during Kid Icarus development

- "While I'm sure some people just want a new DX (Melee) or X (Brawl), that is not the answer I'm looking for"

- There's a lot of implied differences between the 3DS and WiiU versions. The issue of limitations (or lack thereof) come up ("I could make 50 characters, or double the stages, or make everything prettier (graphically), but with the WiiU I don't have to choose just one of those options"), while he runs into that problem with the 3DS, "maybe something fun like the original smash bros." adding something about a handicap.

- 3DS version will be more "personalized" than the WiiU version, as most likely the handheld machine will only be played by one person. This regards "personal data and achievements." He's probably referring to the stat-keeping mode the Smash games have had and how a handheld version would most likely only be tracking a single person's stats.

- Sakurai feels conflicted, saying something to the effect of "On one hand, a player feels a great sense of accomplishment by beating something really difficult. On the other, if it's too hard, they'll feel a sense of frustration by constantly losing to it." (implied differences between versions)

- Iwata goes on to add that a handheld experience is typically a "fun experience in a short amount of time," and that adjustments would have to be made to work around that.

- "So, for the 3DS version, since you must enjoy it alone, it has a system of rewards that you can customize your character with. And then you can bring these characters from the 3DS to the WiiU to fight on. So one "individual" on a handheld will appear in the "stadium" of the home console." Iwata summarizes by saying "The 3DS version is where players will earn individual achievements for themselves, while the WiiU version will be a place to show those achivements off"

- Sometime late in the Melee development cycle, Iwata told Sakurai "you can never have enough Smash Bros!," to which Sakurai replied "YES YOU CAN." Sakurai apparently doesn't remember this.

- Iwata mentions that he likes how in Smash, both high level and beginner level players can feel a sense of accomplishment in comparison to other fighting games. If you don't know what you're doing in other fighting games, you'll typically get destroyed, in Smash you can earn a few more hits. Sakurai adds onto that saying "You'd think it'd be natural to help new players improve, but when the goal of a fighting game is to beat your opponent down, that becomes difficult." Iwata "feels helpless and weak when he loses badly," and lastly Sakurai adds that "the 3DS version will have ways to help beginner players," going on to suggest co-op "There will be a reward system for good players helping bad ones"

- Apparently the balancing and rebalancing of characters was entirely up to Sakurai, but he's going to ask for some help from other members of the team this time around. He still feels the creator of the game will have the clearest vision of how the balance should look like, but definitely welcomes the help. Iwata asks what type of balancing he's referring to, and Sakurai responds talking about balancing animation/frame/hitbox data, while making sure it makes sense in the scope of the game. It has to "look natural and feels good to land the attack"

- There's implied distinction between casual and competitive play made by Sakurai, saying "all these claims of 'this character is too strong' or 'this character is too weak' varies from person to person." When he looked at the sets of data from Wifi games, all characters had relatively the same level of success. "However, according to the competitive scene, that doesn't seem to be the case elsewhere."

- A balance regarding the difficulties of surgical balance changes, and how they don't want characters to "feel the same," adding that specific traits/strengths/weaknesses are intentionally built to differentiate characters. Along with the "oh now that we nerfed this, this other thing is broken," etc. Iwata comments that this type of balancing is ridiculously hard and congratulates Sakurai for pulling it off with every single character by himself.

- Sakurai mentions that while new developers might see this initially as a learning opportunity, it'll eventually turn into a lesson of pain.

- More commentary regarding the extreme level of difficulty regarding balance vs uniqueness in a fighting game cast, with Iwata joking that "I knew I had an eye for talent when I picked you"

- Sakurai comments "the mechanics of a game better fit the system the game is on." The 3DS's small screen, for example, is something they have to work around, making sure the backgrounds and stage structure are clearly visible.

- Iwata comments that some designers enjoy gimmicks like FMVs and cutscenes, because it's where developers get the most free reign to show off their skills.

- Sakurai mentions "I think it'd be best if we can design something that works well and looks good regardless of whether it's on a portable or on an HDTV, but having a different team for each version is also good because we can still make very specialized additions to each." Each individual project will take advantage of each developers "specialty and where they're most likely to apply it."

- Essentially boiling down to "while keeping coherence between the two version is important, they don't want to use that as an excuse to compromise potential features for either version"

- Apparently Sakurai had no direct involvement with either Sonic's or Link's implementation in Brawl.

- He's slightly concerned by the fact that the various branches of Brawl staff worked on different schedules so the development process has gotten rather long. Iwata asks "but now you get to be a lot more hands-on with Smash 4, right?" to which Sakurai answers "Yes, but I'm coming into development right after Kid Icarus finishes, with no rest inbetween. So any help I can get is much appreciated"

- Sakurai says as a game designer and head developer, he really enjoys making something himself and seeing it turn into something good, but if he takes it in the wrong direction he won't reach the people he intends to. With Smash he wants to reach out to as many as he can. Iwata comments "this leaves a lot up to chance when it comes to the finished game," but Sakurai responds "I prefer it to a "stable" series where every sequel is juts the same game with a little bit added on. While it's painful to make something new, it's fun to figure out how." While with Smash, each iteration has a different fun twist, and even someone who doesn't know much about the series can pick apart the differences fairly easily.

- Iwata anguishes over how expensive the project is and that it requires a lot of people.

- Sakurai "Anyway, I look forward to the people you bring to this project, since the success of it is dependent on who you gather for me! Still, even if you don't gather enough people, I wouldn't want to see the project stretched thin, so we could focus on only one system." Iwata: "What? Even after we announced at e3 that we'll be developing for both systems?!" Sakurai: "Well either that or I take a small team and we take five years"

- in the conclusion, Iwata thanks Sakurai, and Sakurai says "thanks, but my time is currently focused on making sure Kid Icarus is perfect for launch!"

Dattebayo

Banned
To alleviate this, here's a summary of a recent interview between Sakurai and Iwata talking about the game (neither version is in development yet, unfortunately)

Could this hint that you can use a Mii character in SSB 3DS with customizable stats?

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
Could this hint that you can use a Mii character in SSB 3DS with customizable stats?

It could mean pretty much anything, ranging from full customisation to a sticker system like brawls single player. This is Sakurai, master of ambiguity.

But yeah, 3DS is more personal and has customisable characters, first thing that comes to mind is miis.

PokemonOwn

Really? Peach is too awesome. And, why is Zelda that low? Din's Fire is good to start off, and you can rinse, lather, and repeat by evading with Teleport.

Alleviate

Banned

Because the average player is going to know how to manipulate hitstun jump height landing lag cool down frames start up frames weight fall speed etc.

Also almost none of you know anything about competitive brawl so stop talking about competitive brawl.

Really? Peach is too awesome. And, why is Zelda that low? Din's Fire is good to start off, and you can rinse, lather, and repeat by evading with Teleport.

There's a lot of characters that outcamp zelda or can just block Din's Fire. It isn't even hard to shield or dodge it. Zelda cannot cover herself from all sides and can beat up on rush downs. She has one okay aerial and one okay close range special. Teleport has too much start up and cool down to be useful. Zelda is not very good.

Last edited:

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter

If there is a link to the interview, could you link it? I think it would stir up discussion at SWF, especially the bits about character customization.

Peach is probably Exhibit A when it comes to characters with huge killing issues. She can string attacks and rack up damage like crazy at low percents, but once the opponent is above 100%, she struggles to keep damage racking, and get to kill percents. Her big hail Mary of an Upsmash is ridiculously hard to connect at the right spot, and her next best move, the Fair, is going to be used so much for damage and spacing that when the time comes to kill, Fair will be too stale to do the job. It's quite common to see people live up to 150% each stock against a Peach. I play with this Peach main all the time, and I never die until I'm around 180 when I'm Sonic, a middleweight, so imagine how hard it must be to kill Wolf, DK, or Snake.

Also almost none of you know anything about competitive brawl so stop talking about competitive brawl.

I hope I'm not one of those people XD

PokemonOwn

Peach is probably Exhibit A when it comes to characters with huge killing issues. She can string attacks and rack up damage like crazy at low percents, but once the opponent is above 100%, she struggles to keep damage racking, and get to kill percents. Her big hail Mary of an Upsmash is ridiculously hard to connect at the right spot, and her next best move, the Fair, is going to be used so much for damage and spacing that when the time comes to kill, Fair will be too stale to do the job. It's quite common to see people live up to 150% each stock against a Peach. I play with this Peach main all the time, and I never die until I'm around 180 when I'm Sonic, a middleweight, so imagine how hard it must be to kill Wolf, DK, or Snake.

Many Wi-Fi battlers die to my Peachey. :p

Thoughts on Peach's "Toad" Attack? I use it, and, with great success. When I'm not recovering, and I'm getting Attacked:

Toad + Peach Bomber.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
As long as the customization characters is excellent, the stages are creative and unique (and majority tournament legal), the rosters balance and that Meta Knight is fixed (or no other character like him is created), me and my companions shall thoroughly enjoy ourselves.

Last edited:

A.J.

Wobba wobba wobba!
As long as Game and Watch is still on board, I will enjoy myself.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
I also hope the character customization isn't overpowered so I have as much or more of a want to choose a regular character rather than my custom character. Hopefully custom characters won't be allowed in certain tournaments. Here's a great idea, contest like the Check Mii Out channel. We get a Nintendo character each month and build a custom moveset based around that character and if we win the contest, our character becomes DLC for the roster.

Last edited:

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
We got custom characters now? When was this confirmed?

BCVM22

It wasn't. Shockingly, people are taking this interview snippet--

"So, for the 3DS version, since you must enjoy it alone, it has a system of rewards that you can customize your character with."

--and opening the latch on the gates of their minds to let their imaginations run wild in traffic.

O Fortuna

Velut luna.
Too bad we're not discussing rosters, although I think that's a wise move. So, I won't mention my wish for K. Rool and we'll just move on.

Looking forward to this. At this point, I find it hard to imagine a game better than Brawl, but I'm sure they'll deliver.

PeachIce Climbers for SSB4.

DanteKoriyu

Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS

So, I know the game isn't close to being in production yet, but the cat has been let out of the bag about plans for another Smash Bros. game. We'll probably get it before Gen 6, so who do you think will make the cut?

In the three games we've gotten, most of the Pokemon franchise's reps were from Gen I, with Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo and the Pokemon Trainer. While I admit the trainer uses the Gen 3 design, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard are all Gen I Pokemon and they are the actual fighters. That leaves Gen 2 with Pichu and Gen 4 with Lucario.

• Do you think the next series of games will keep these fighters, or will the be switched out in favor of other Pokemon?
  • Pikachu is pretty much a given to stay in, but will Jigglypuff return again?
  • How about Lucario, will it be traded for a newer Gen V Pokemon?
  • If so, then who you do you think is worthy to take its place?
  • How about the Trainer, do you think he will stick around or perhaps be switched for one of his Gen V counterparts and a new trio of the starter Pokemon's stages?
  • If he's switched, which gender trainer will replace him and what stages of the starters do you think will be included?
  • And just for fun, which monsters do you think will be used for the Pokeballs, Gen 5 only or will they mix it up?
  • Maybe throw around some ideas for Pokemon themed stages? N's Castle and Dragonspiral Tower are high on my list.

Litwickgang

litwick ninja
as much as i hate to admit it, lucario will be replaced by zoroark.
Trainer will be replaced by a gen 5 trainer
Lostlorn forest would be interesting...

Status
Not open for further replies.