• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Super Smash Bros. Thread (Read the First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCVM22

Or maybe that's the GDC announcement I'm catching a Wario Waft of.

If you mean the three satellite GDCs still to come this year, a game that isn't in the actual-nitty gritty of development now isn't going to have a whole ton to announce in a few months.

If you mean next year's GDC in March of 2012, it's not completely impossible that enough work could have started to present some sort of teaser, but Nintendo would sooner wait the extra three months and drop any megatons at E3, with more eyes on them, than they would at GDC.

But that's half the fun of a Smash Bros. thread! (The other half is Dattebayo, right?)

You have a warped definition of fun, regarding both halves of that statement.

Crimsonlink

Crimson Champion
Wait, how would visual redesigns do that? And what weaknesses are these to begin with? Their Twilight Princess designs? Yeah, the lack of pants really put a hurting on Link and Zelda in Brawl!
Quote:

Visual redesign and fighting style as well man. Link and Zelda are stuck in F tier due to speed issues and such things like other characters.

There might be a HD Zelda before SSB4 comes out so SS Link and Zelda might not even make an appearance on SSB4.

gameboy350

Back from the depths
What I want to see is DLC.(Apparently unheard of by nintendo)
Maybe DLC could include new stages, items, skins and even new characters and game modes.
its not likely to happen though.

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
Deoxys, I missed you so much.

Maybe DLC could include new stages, items, skins and even new characters and game modes.

NO.

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
Personally, I can't wait until the Dojo starts updating again. (If they're even doing that this time.) The daily updates was hella fun.

YES.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
The original 12, I say, but that's just my opinion on the subject. Then again, what do I know? They only kept 11 of the originals in Brawl, right? Curse you, Lucas!!

Actually, the Original 12 have been in all three games. Lucas did not replace Ness and Ness played a noticeable role in the Subspace Emissary. As for who will be in the next game, I think that it's probably a given that the Original 12 will be in both versions of the next game. After that, I think that Ganondorf, Bowser, Peach, and Zelda are also virtually guaranteed to stay in one form or another. As for everyone else, I don't really see many characters that could be excluded, at least from the Wii U version, save for maybe Lucario (since he was a last generation Pokémon) and possibly Lucas (since it's been a long time since Mother 3, there hasn't been another Mother game that's come out recently, and it doesn't look like it will get an international release, in addition to Ness being one of the Original 12 and possibly better known for his Super Smash Bros. outings than Earthbound). Other than them, I don't see anyone else really capable of be excluded without raising some eyebrows on the Wii U version. I can't see them removing any of the Original 12, in either version. They're the staples of the franchise. There's no way Marth or Ike will be taken out since they represent the most recently released Fire Emblem games. As for new characters, I don't really know yet. I'll have to wait for Skyward Sword before I can talk about that since the only other character I would want, or could see being added, of any franchise that I know of, would have been Midna, and if she was going to be added, she would have been added in Brawl. Oh, and Zoroark is definitely a possibility since he is a humanoid-shaped Pokémon and can easily be fitted with a moveset that can be used in Super Smash Bros. I can also see a return of Mewtwo due to his enduring popularity throughout the Pokémon generations.

Last edited:

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
I don't see why they have to remove any characters; at least not for the Wii U version. It's got more than enough space to accomodate all the characters plus whatever new ones they add.

Dattebayo

Banned
We do not know how much space the Wii U has that SSB will use; the features Sakurai left out during Brawl's development could cause a loss of some space for veteran/new fighters.

Clamps

Planned DLC is the absolute worst thing to ever happen to gaming. I don't understand why you would want to pay MORE for a game you already own.

Actually, the Original 12 have been in all three games. Lucas did not replace Ness and Ness played a noticeable role in the Subspace Emissary.

Bro, your sarcasm detector is broken.

I don't see why they have to remove any characters; at least not for the Wii U version. It's got more than enough space to accomodate all the characters plus whatever new ones they add.

The removed characters were mostly characters who were there as advertisements anyway, because Smash has been a way of advertising things since melee. I could honestly see Ike getting removed for another Fire Emblem character, since he isn't too current anymore. Maybe Sirius? I'd kill for a Lance Fighter.

We do not know how much space the Wii U has that SSB will use; the features Sakurai left out during Brawl's development could cause a loss of some space for veteran/new fighters.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
Planned DLC is the absolute worst thing to ever happen to gaming. I don't understand why you would want to pay MORE for a game you already own.

I don't understand why wouldn't want new content in the game even after the release.

The removed characters were mostly characters who were there as advertisements anyway, because Smash has been a way of advertising things since melee. I could honestly see Ike getting removed for another Fire Emblem character, since he isn't too current anymore. Maybe Sirius? I'd kill for a Lance Fighter.

Ike is the most recent Fire Emblem character. They haven't made any new games since Radiant Dawn except the Marth remakes. And that still dosen't mean they have to remove the characters. I mean, Jigglypuff has stayed in all these years, despite the fact that it hasn't been a prominent Pokemon since the first generation. I'd kill for Roy and Mewtwo to come back.

Dattebayo

Banned
What the fuck are you talking about?

I'm talking about the storage space for a Wii U game. We have no idea how much it'll hold, especially holding all characters in an SSB game.

Mewtwo wasn't advertising anything yet he got replaced by Lucario.

Clamps

I don't understand why wouldn't want new content in the game even after the release.
Because if it's planned to be in it prior to the release, it should've been on the damn disk in the first place. And sometimes, it actually is.

Mewtwo wasn't advertising anything yet he got replaced by Lucario.

Neither was Dr. Mario. Which is why I said "most."

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
Because if it's planned to be in it prior to the release, it should've been on the damn disk in the first place. And sometimes, it actually is.

I think it'd be way more fun to get continuous updates. Surprises and whatnot. If a new game comes out, they could add items, music, stages, or perhaps even new characters to go with it.

woot21

super noob
Actually, the Original 12 have been in all three games. Lucas did not replace Ness and Ness played a noticeable role in the Subspace Emissary.
You know he was joking. In the old thread we had a member steadfastly claim that the "until now" line in the Lucas update meant Ness was out. Then after Ness was revealed he still claimed he had been right about Lucas replacing Ness.
Why should I pay for something that should have been in the game in the first place, when I already bought the game? AC:CF did DLC right.
But that's half the fun of a Smash Bros. thread! (The other half is Dattebayo, right?)
We are trying to move away from the character stuff because it leads to flame wars, like in the SSB4 thread. Besides, the other half of the fun was actually Luke_Groundwalker. And welcome back.

MULTI-QUOTING ON AN IPOD FTW!!!

woot21 out dawgs

Clamps

I think it'd be way more fun to get continuous updates. Surprises and whatnot. If a new game comes out, they could add items, music, stages, or perhaps even new characters to go with it.

Right, you have video game ADD, so the rest of us should have to pay $5 a character for **** that should've come with the game in the first place.

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
Right, you have video game ADD, so the rest of us should have to pay $5 a character for **** that should've come with the game in the first place.

Enjoying new content is video game ADD? Well then I guess I'll never get any new games again, ever.

And look, if the game comes with 60 characters, it's going to take a lot longer to make the game than if they release with 40 characters and then come up with ideas for new ones. And you missed my point. Some of the hypothetical DLC characters couldn't "come with the game in the first place" because I'm talking about future games. Like, making a character from a popular game that comes out a year or so after SSB4.

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
So wait, why would any character be given the boot? On that note, why does Pokemon need a representative for each generation (I don't think anyone brought this up recently, but it was debated on a lot in the past speculation threads and there didn't seem to be a good reason for it)?

Still, the debate about downloadable content is a lot better than people rambling on how there should be 20 characters from the Mother/Earthbound series (which most people haven't played or even heard of unless you are in the minority that played Earthbound or in the larger minority that played the games that weren't released outside of Japan), so I can say that as far as speculation is concerned, this thread is doing a bit better than the past ones.

I am not completely sure how DLC works except that it seems that in most cases, it's already programmed into the game. In that case, I don't think it should be implemented. It would be cool if they made more content and then released it as DLC, but that's probably obvious as to why it won't happen.

woot21

super noob
On characters be given the boot, just look at Roy and Mewtwo. They had outlived their usefulness. I can see Ike being replaced by a new FE lord in the new games, but that's just my thoughts.

To turn the focus away from character speculation, Sakurai mentioned character customization for the 3DS version, that would be transeferable to the Wii U version. My thoughts on this is that it could be character specfic even, like Link getting the Mask of Truth, Mario getting his Dr. Mario coat, Pikachu getting different contest accessories, etc.

woot21 out dawgs

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
On characters be given the boot, just look at Roy and Mewtwo. They had outlived their usefulness. I can see Ike being replaced by a new FE lord in the new games, but that's just my thoughts.

Ike is the most recent lord, unless they come out with a new Fire Emblem between now and SSB4's launch.

To turn the focus away from character speculation, Sakurai mentioned character customization for the 3DS version, that would be transeferable to the Wii U version. My thoughts on this is that it could be character specfic even, like Link getting the Mask of Truth, Mario getting his Dr. Mario coat, Pikachu getting different contest accessories, etc.

But that would only work for certain characters. Sure, Samus could wear different suits and Peach could wear her sports outfit, but what about Fox? Olimar? Sonic? Donkey Kong? A lot of these characters don't really have different appearances.

Status
Not open for further replies.