• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Super Training/EV/IV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i just IV bred a bunch of froakie. i have a few extra that have near flawless IVs and timid/rash natures. if anyone is interested i'll trade for other IV bred 6th gen pokemon.
mainly looking for chespin, skrelp, helioptile, tyrunt, eevee, noibat, and ditto with good IVs. natures dont matter

Question about Sylveon. Should I focus on HP/SPA in EV training or should I use one to get it's speed more improving because it's not good. 60 speed.

hp and spatk if modest, hp and spdef if calm. or you can do spatk and speed if timid

Radiacity

Ace Trainer
What is more important, IV breeding or EV training?

saldu

In terms of absolute basestat gain for one stat, EV training. However, note that you can max all 5 (or for mixed sets, 6) IVs by breeding, but you still only have 510 EVs to spent.

lvl 100 poke with 100 basestat and
0 IV 0 EV: 205
0 IV 252 EV: 268
15 IV 0 EV: 220
31 IV 0 EV: 236

tipton87

Eevee Master
Question: I have a Shellder and Im going to use it for battling, Its IV trained, Ev trained and has its egg moves I want, Shellder does not learn shell smash till lv 56 and Cloyster doesnt learn it at all. Am I at a disadvantage if i dont evolve Shellder till 56? Anyway to obtain it before hand?

Rakurai

The only way a Shellder can get Shell Smash earlier is if both of its parents knew the move already.

Hey, I'm not sure if this was discussed or not, but I was reading the updated EV guide and saw this:

Is that last part true? Have I been counting my EVs while super training for nothing?

everything above is true
I was playing with super training on the second day of the game release and was trying to keep track if it stops at 252

After a few attempts it shows it does stop at 252 since I gain less than 12 points in lvl 3 games and still able to get 6 points in some stats after two were capped. i.e. working backwards (510-6)/2 =252

Oh apparently you don't get the ev-reset bag for clearing first level, I was misinformed it seems so how do you get it

u can get a reset bag when manually smashes any bags (the no effect bag applies) / complete any type of training / refresh ur pokemon when its tired and it'll automatically smash the no effect bags

Rhonder

I see, I guess there are different methods out there. I used the old ''IIII and the fifth line through them all'', to count.
Then again, I'm pretty new to ev-training. ^^

That's how I kept track of it when I was first starting out a few years ago xD it was really tedious though and hard to keep track of. If you miss an encounter, it's terrible xD Then at the beginning of Black and White right before I got into competitive battling (before I had just been EV training cuz it was new and fun making use of a pokemon's potential) a friend of mine taught me what's in my opinion the best way to keep track (aside from the new chart which maxes out 252): Counting PP.

Especially in gen 5 before the super EXP share, in most cases you'd have your pokemon you were training at the front of your party, then switch to a pokemon that was actually killing everything to do the training. So if you just use 1 move to do it, and use the same pokemon every time, you can easily just count the PP. It wont lie (unless you're fighting something that has sturdy or protect or something so try not to train on those, or use a different move other than the counting one for the finishing blow) But yeah. It's pretty nifty. have power anklet and pokerus training on basculin? 252 evs - 100 from carbos = 152. 152/12 evs per basculin = 12 and some fraction. So use 12 pp then you'll be at 144 EVs. 152-144 = 8, so then you just need to do 1 more kill with a macho brace on to max out. 13 kills/pp over all. I haven't done hoard training yet, and honestly from what I've seen the calculations for it are so easy that you don't really need to keep track (50 evs per battle, 50 x 3 = 150, then kill 1 more and you're golden lol)

Definitely EV training. Besides the fact that it's easier to do, it'll give a bigger boost than IVs will over all. That being said, both is ideal, but especially if you're just learning how to build good pokemon, focus on Move sets/evs first :D

Edit:

And natures. Natures are important/easy too

Destiny knot

I've noticed in the Mechanics hub - New breeding mechanics section it says "if you have one of the parents hold the Destiny Knot item, then 5 IVs total from either parent will be guaranteed to be transferred" which is not true since there is still a big chance that mutations occurs.

I'm currently breeding with two Charmanders.
Modest Male with IV 31/31/31/31/31/31 (Destiny Knot)
Modest Female with IV 31/27/31/31/31/31 (Everstone)

Although it does brings a higher chance to pass down high IVs yet outcomes can be 0 in some stats in certain cases or not maxed out in 2-3 areas.

Moreover, isn't it 6 IVs (HP has IV count as well) instead of 5 IVs? Or does destiny knot only work on 5 IVs.

Have any1 tried with two destiny knots and see if it stacks? I've tested power item + destiny knot and they do stack effects but I didnt try with two destiny knots caz i only have one.

arealmon

Good IVs for Mewtwo?

I was wondering if these are good stats for a Mewtwo? I just caught him on Y, and need to know if these stats are good before I save the game. Thanks for the help!!

Modest
Capable of taking hits

HP: 28,29
Atk: 0,1
Def: 31
Sp.A: 31
Sp.D: 10,11
Speed: 30,31

Hidden Power: Dragon

Hanz174

What the what?!
I've noticed in the Mechanics hub - New breeding mechanics section it says "if you have one of the parents hold the Destiny Knot item, then 5 IVs total from either parent will be guaranteed to be transferred" which is not true since there is still a big chance that mutations occurs.

I'm currently breeding with two Charmanders.
Modest Male with IV 31/31/31/31/31/31 (Destiny Knot)
Modest Female with IV 31/27/31/31/31/31 (Everstone)

Although it does brings a higher chance to pass down high IVs yet outcomes can be 0 in some stats in certain cases or not maxed out in 2-3 areas.

Moreover, isn't it 6 IVs (HP has IV count as well) instead of 5 IVs? Or does destiny knot only work on 5 IVs.

Have any1 tried with two destiny knots and see if it stacks? I've tested power item + destiny knot and they do stack effects but I didnt try with two destiny knots caz i only have one.
You can gain more destiny knots by battling a girl in an alley within Lumiose City daily. I ahve 5 destiny knots already. She is the one going on about missing her love that was actually just a poster. That idea of stacking destiny knots sounds cool, I'll go try that out right now.

Definitely EV training. Besides the fact that it's easier to do, it'll give a bigger boost than IVs will over all. That being said, both is ideal, but especially if you're just learning how to build good pokemon, focus on Move sets/evs first :D

Agree with the second part, disagree with the first part. No doubt for a starter its faster to build an average pokemon with EVs and move but if comparing IV breeding and EV training it'll definitely be IV breeding.
1. IV breeding includes inheriting moves where the pokemon can't learn naturally
2. EVs can be changed even at lvl 100 and does affect total stats where IVs cannot be changed once you received the egg unless you hack the game.
3. 4 EV=1 point of stat at lvl 100, 1 IV= 1 point of stat at lvl 100. Maximum reach for IVs = 31x6x4 = equivalent to 744 EV, where EV training cap at 510.

Eventhough IV breeding are time consuming but it's only hard at the beginning. Once you get your first flawless pokemon it can be used in cross breeding with different species but same egg grp to turn your target pokemons into flawless IVs easily.

I was wondering if these are good stats for a Mewtwo? I just caught him on Y, and need to know if these stats are good before I save the game. Thanks for the help!!

Modest
Capable of taking hits

HP: 28,29
Atk: 0,1
Def: 31
Sp.A: 31
Sp.D: 10,11
Speed: 30,31

Hidden Power: Dragon

I'll definitely go for more S.def since it takes x2 damage in most S.atk moves but I'm those ppl dont mind resetting my game for an entire month if i want to.
i assume you are using an IV calculator since u hav ur speed uncertain of 30 or 31.
Suggest you to fly over to Kiloude City PC, theres a purple hair dude at the upper left corner who tells u either its 31 or 30.
if its 31 he'll say those stats cannot be beat. in ur case if he didnt quote speed but only def and s.atk u know whats going on.

Last edited:
You can gain more destiny knots by battling a girl in an alley within Lumiose City daily. I ahve 5 destiny knots already. She is the one going on about missing her love that was actually just a poster. That idea of stacking destiny knots sounds cool, I'll go try that out right now.

Cheers man but even if I can stack destiny knots I'm not sure if I wanna drop everstone for random nature until i get the one I want since I donno which method is faster.

dacrag

Could someone help me out? I'm a little unsure about how EV training works.
So I have my Timid Staryu. I want to EV train its Special Attack.
It has Pokerus and holding the Power Lens.
I fought 3 hordes of Vanillite .. 5 Vanillite in each.
I then fought 1 Slugma, removing the Power Lens this time.

I thought that 1 Vanillite would give 10 EV points, so fighting 15 would give 150 EV points.
Slugma gives 1 point, but with Pokerus but no Lens, then it would be 2 points.

I tried giving the Calcium to Staryu but it wouldn't drink any.

Where did I go wrong?

~Sam~

Trader and Battler

I thought that 1 Vanillite would give 10 EV points, so fighting 15 would give 150 EV points.

Where did I go wrong?

The drinks like Calcium and stuff wont work after the Pokemon has it's first 100 EVs.

Where did I go wrong?

Seems nothing wrong to me, Calcium doesnt giv ANY EV if the EV has already pass 100
in ur case its already at 152 of course it wont drink any.
The items still gives out EV above 100 are wings.

dacrag

Right, so I've gotta give the Calcium before I fight any Pokemon? I never knew that!
Then again, I'm wondering whether it's worth it since Calcium is expensive and it's quite easy to find hordes of Vanillite.
It might just be easier to fight 5 hordes of 5 Vanillite, right?

Right, so I've gotta give the Calcium before I fight any Pokemon? I never knew that!
Then again, I'm wondering whether it's worth it since Calcium is expensive and it's quite easy to find hordes of Vanillite.
It might just be easier to fight 5 hordes of 5 Vanillite, right?

All good. And yea, its way ezier to get EVs now, dont think its worth to buy those vitamins.

Status
Not open for further replies.