• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Super Training/EV/IV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The judge says a lot of my stats "can't be beat!"
Does that mean they are perfect? Or does he actually say perfect if they are?

Whatever stat he is talking about has 31 IVs

Cuthrout

Anyone know what the best nature and EV spread for a protean Greninja?

Yami ookami

Depends on the set. I'd max speed at 252 and max whichever attack stat you're using. Last 4 in hp. I'd also run moves that will give it some immunities to lots of types.

Cuthrout

well, I was wondering whether Timid nature or Modest would be better? I can easily breed both, but what EV's would you put on each nature? or both the same?

Yami ookami

I'd run it the same. Because he's already fragile, going full throttle with power and speed is more efficient. I love the idea of shadow sneak for against fighting types. *evil grin*

I also had a hypothesis on how to figure out EVs given from the new pokemon which i noticed we don't have on the serebii X/Y pokedex that we rely on so much. We can use the Super training screen with a pokemon that has only been gaining EVs from one pokemon. Not sure how to calculate the exact number, but that's predictable by observing trends from EVs on pokemon in previous games. Example being; Basic forms give 1 EV, 1st evolution forms give 2, 2nd evolutions give 3, single form pokemon give 2 ect. Because the super training screen shows base stats and invested EVs.

Last edited:

Cuthrout

I'm feeling maybe Timid nature then and just run 252 speed and sp attack. Yay! more breeding ha ha

magentaman

well, I was wondering whether Timid nature or Modest would be better? I can easily breed both, but what EV's would you put on each nature? or both the same?

Irun mine timid with a life orb

Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Grass Knot
Dark Pulse

Ideally i'd do HP fire instead of dark pulse but i don't have the patience

Cuthrout

Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Grass Knot
Dark Pulse

Looks a solid build. Urgh dislike trying to breed specific Hidden Power types. Always been a pet hate. Assuming grass knot for heavy pokes/steel?

Yami ookami

Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Grass Knot
Dark Pulse

This is a good full power special set for geninja. Ability giving STAB on everything is great.
But consider this:

Adamant expert belt
252 atk/ 252 Spd/ 4 Hp

Shadow Sneak
Power Up Punch
water Shurikan
Night slash

Priority allows him to sneak in an attack for a type change before anyone else giving it an immunity. You can revenge kill with Power-up Punch for a boost. If you're rotating through your types you're opponent will be frazzled.

Cuthrout

This is a good full power special set for geninja. Ability giving STAB on everything is great.
But consider this:

Adamant expert belt
252 atk/ 252 Spd/ 4 Hp

Shadow Sneak
Power Up Punch
water Shurikan
Night slash

Priority allows him to sneak in an attack for a type change before anyone else giving it an immunity. You can revenge kill with Power-up Punch for a boost. If you're rotating through your types you're opponent will be frazzled.

Clever and doesn't require TM's I like it. My only issue is could it take a hit anyway? Assuming IV 31 in all stats would it be able to take a hit from other sweepers?

Yami ookami

Clever and doesn't require TM's I like it. My only issue is could it take a hit anyway? Assuming IV 31 in all stats would it be able to take a hit from other sweepers?
Its all playing on making it resist or immune. Of course it needs support from other pokemon just like anything. But EV's could be invested in its survivability. Then with its obtaining immunities here and there it could maybe use leftovers. Another raised question would be the mechanics of Protean. Is the type changed by status moves? You could even run substitute, Mat Block, or Protect to scout. Maybe u-turn to run away. Feel like it should be as fast as possible still too.

Cuthrout

Its all playing on making it resist or immune. Of course it needs support from other pokemon just like anything. But EV's could be invested in its survivability. Then with its obtaining immunities here and there it could maybe use leftovers. Another raised question would be the mechanics of Protean. Is the type changed by status moves? You could even run substitute, Mat Block, or Protect to scout. Maybe u-turn to run away. Feel like it should be as fast as possible still too.

You should check in the game mechanics thread to see if anyone knows more about the ability. I think the the type isn't affected by using status moves but then again we could probably test it out.

magentaman

Over at the smogon forum they have pages and pages of discussion on greninja, there's all sorts of suggested sets on there. Might be worth a look, see if they have something you like the look of.

blackstar

I'm a little confused about Aegislash. I have an adamant one, but in the super-training screen, it shows that its IVs? EVs? are stacked in its defenses. Is this because it's in Shield Forme?

saldu

I'm a little confused about Aegislash. I have an adamant one, but in the super-training screen, it shows that its IVs? EVs? are stacked in its defenses. Is this because it's in Shield Forme?

The blue portion of the Super Training stat-indicator are a pokemon's basestats.
In case of Aegislash, it is always in Shield Forme out of combat, thus displaying the basestats for that form.

blackstar

The blue portion of the Super Training stat-indicator are a pokemon's basestats.
In case of Aegislash, it is always in Shield Forme out of combat, thus displaying the basestats for that form.

So, when it's in battle, it loses the base stats for defense? Should I train it evenly for it's defenses and attack?

saldu

So, when it's in battle, it loses the base stats for defense? Should I train it evenly for it's defenses and attack?

No, it doesn't lose it.
When entering battle, it will be in Shield Forme (150 Def&SpDef, 50 Atk&SpAtk).
When you use an attack (e.g. anything with a displayed base power), it will switch into Blade Forme (150 Atk&SpAtk, 50 Def&SpDef) before attacking.
It will stay that way until it uses a status move (e.g. anything without a displayed BP), which switches it into Shield Forme before using.

blackstar

No, it doesn't lose it.
When you use an attack (e.g. anything with a displayed base power), it will switch into Blade Forme (150 Atk&SpAtk, 50 Def&SpDef) before attacking.
It will stay that way until it uses a status move (e.g. anything without a displayed BP), which switches it into Shield Forme before using.

Okay. Thanks! So I'll continue on as I was originally doing and train it in attacking.

No, it doesn't lose it.

Pretty sure it only switches back if it uses King Shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.