• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Super Training/EV/IV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copie

Nothing Special
Im pretty new to breeding i get pretty much how to do the basic breeding but i can't fully understand how to get perfect IVs or at least 31 in four stats.

What aspects don't you understand?

First thing you want is a large number of Dittos from the Friend Safari. You want a pile of these guys, each one has at least 2 perfect stats and you want them to be all have different combinations. For reference when trying to breed quickly I nicknamed all my Dittos based on my stats (So I had "Def SpA" and "HP Atk" and SpD Spe" all sitting in my box, among others. I probably had 15 dittos with different combinations).

Then get the Pokemon you are trying to breed (Pokemon X). Ideally it will have the nature you want. If not, find a Ditto with the nature you want.

Put a Ditto and Pokemon X in the daycare together. Give an Everstone to a Pokemon with whatever nature you want to pass along, and a Destiny Knot to the other.

Hatch a bunch of eggs. It shouldn't take long, but eventually you will get a Pokemon X with at least one 31 IV, if not 2.

Replace previous Pokemon X with the new Pokemon X with better stats. Give this Pokemon the Everstone, and grab another Ditto that has two 31 IVs that are different than whatever perfect stat(s) Pokemon X has.

Breed these two. Eventually you'll get a Pokemon X with 2-3 Perfect IVs.

Essentially you keep doing this until you have 2 Pokemon in the Daycare who, between them, have perfect IVs in the 5 stats you are looking for. If you can swing it so each of them have 3 or 4 perfect IVs then your job should be easy. The fewer perfect IVs they have between the two of them (max 12, for 2 Pokemon with 31/31/31/31/31/31) then the longer it will take to hatch your egg. My Charmander took so long because I had so few female Charmanders, I had to always use Dittos with only 2 perfect IVs.

Hopefully that's clear? It's early in the morning so I may have failed at explaining. You always want to replace Pokemon with better Pokemon, slowly increasing the number of perfect IVs between the 2 parents. Then you just need a bit of luck.

There is also a trick you can use to figure out which IVs the egg will inherit from parents (say, HP and Def from Dad and Attack, SpD and Spe from Mom) and you could then reset and replace the parents in the daycare with parents with those perfect IVs. This would decrease your time spent substantially. If you're interested in this let me know and I can send you a link to am image that explains that. For now though, easiest thing to do is focus on grasping what I mentioned until you have multiple parents with decent IV spreads. That is always step one.

Last edited:

kyutendou

hey, just got my copy of y ( ive been playing x the whole time ) and my starter is chespin. after i got him, i ev trained him straight away for 252 atk 252 def and 4 hp. this was before the first battle with shauna. im just wondering. is this bad? or will chesnaught have good stats when it evolves?

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
Question: Is it possible to get a pokemon with more than 2 IV's of 31 in the Friend Safari?
Yes there's a chance to get 3 perfect IV's. There's even a rare chance to get one with 4 in Friend Safari

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Decided to obtain a Helioptile with near/perfect IVs from a x/31/31/31/x/31 Goomy. Got a Modest Helioptile with a 31/x/31/x/x/x spread and another one with a 31/31/31/31/x/31 spread. Took both into the day care and currently in the process of hatching a wonderful electric lizard!

Good thing it gets Surf to abuse along with Dry Skin in the rain.

Hiss13

Psychic Lover
What EVs should I train on a Mawile with an Adamant Nature and 31/31/31/x/31/31 IVs?
What EVs should I train for a Tyranitar with the exact same IVs and nature?

Whoa. I am new here, new to EV and IV training and somewhat new to breeding, and despite being at work I had a chance to read through some of this thread. I am learning so much that my head my turn off. A few questions:

What is the "Masuda method" of breeding?
What perceived boost in performance does a max IV in a certain stat give?

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
What EVs should I train on a Mawile with an Adamant Nature and 31/31/31/x/31/31 IVs?
What EVs should I train for a Tyranitar with the exact same IVs and nature?

for Mawile I'd suggest 252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Def. For Tyranitar I suggest the same.

Lady Umbreon

hey, just got my copy of y ( ive been playing x the whole time ) and my starter is chespin. after i got him, i ev trained him straight away for 252 atk 252 def and 4 hp. this was before the first battle with shauna. im just wondering. is this bad? or will chesnaught have good stats when it evolves?

Don't worry, its stats will be fine. The stat formula doesn't care when or how you get effort, just how much there is. You saved yourself a lot of work - I waited until after beating the champion to effort train and had to spend days raising enough effort-reducing berries to get rid of unwanted points.

What is the "Masuda method" of breeding?

The Masuda Method makes it easier to get shinies. If you breed two Pokemon who originated on games from different countries (like a Japanese Pikachu and a British Marill) their baby will be 5 to 6 times (depending on the game) more likely to be shiny than a same country pairing or a wild Pokemon.

What perceived boost in performance does a max IV in a certain stat give?

At level 100 a max IV gives you 31 more stat points than if your IV was 0. At level 50 the difference is 15 stat points.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for the reply.

5 to 6 more times likely to get a shiny would still give you less than a 1% chance, right? despite very low odds, it seems pretty viable since I've gotten several from other countries through the GTS already. I'm a little shiny-obsessed... do you happen to know the odds of breeding a shiny with a non-shiny or a ditto? does having a parent as a shiny influence odds at all?

bombe32

Hey, thanks for the reply.

5 to 6 more times likely to get a shiny would still give you less than a 1% chance, right? despite very low odds, it seems pretty viable since I've gotten several from other countries through the GTS already. I'm a little shiny-obsessed... do you happen to know the odds of breeding a shiny with a non-shiny or a ditto? does having a parent as a shiny influence odds at all?

Breeding with a shiny won't change anything at all. The only way to increase the odds of getting a shiny through breeding is the Masuda Method (and the Shiny Charm when (or if) we can get every Pokemon in the dex, but that won't be possible until December).

Racrux

Hex Maniac
I would start breeding a 5/6 IV team, But I don't have a Normal Type Friend Safari with a Ditto (If anyone could help with that, I'd be very happy)
At the moment my "Try everything and hope that it works" Method isn't going well, But I Hope to have a fully EV'd/IV'd Pokemon by January.

But I don't have a Normal Type Friend Safari with a Ditto

Do you just need a Ditto? I can send you one. I have a few but don't know the stat values on any of them.

Racrux

Hex Maniac
I'd prefer the Safari, as then I have more control on which Ditto are Useful for my teams And can also name them IV names for Breeding.
Thank you for the offer though.

gotcha - makes sense. I need to get that workin for me.

Do I understand correct that a ditto has at least 2 maxed IVs, always?

Melevolence

Khan Breeder
Forgive my question if it seems ignorant, but where/how can one tell the IV's of their Pokémon? Wasn't there at one point an NPC who tells you information on a Pokémon' IV's? Would be helpful to know for rookie breeder.

Forgive my question if it seems ignorant, but where/how can one tell the IV's of their Pokémon? Wasn't there at one point an NPC who tells you information on a Pokémon' IV's? Would be helpful to know for rookie breeder.

He is in the Pkmn Center in Kiloude city.

Status
Not open for further replies.