• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Super Training/EV/IV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoySceptile

Bakaner
What EVs should I train on a Mawile with an Adamant Nature and 31/31/31/x/31/31 IVs?
What EVs should I train for a Tyranitar with the exact same IVs and nature?

I'd say go with 252 HP and 80 for Def. and 176 for Sp.Def; it will reach 400+ Attack (after Huge Power) without investment, anyway (as long as the nature does not hinder Attack).
Unless you want to just completely kill stuff.

Tyranitar; again, I'd do the same, unless it has Dragon Dance, in which case it would be good to add some Speed EVs to make sure you outspeed certain things after after 1 Dance. Sandstorm increases Sp.Def by one stage (as long as it's active), and I doubt it can tank a Close Combat from anything that learns it.

Forgive my question if it seems ignorant, but where/how can one tell the IV's of their Pokémon? Wasn't there at one point an NPC who tells you information on a Pokémon' IV's? Would be helpful to know for rookie breeder.

He's at Kiloude City; you have to beat the E4 to get there.
He's in the Poke Center.

Ninja'd

MSK

Aaargh!! So frustrated, been trying to IV breed a Timid Magician Fennekin all week. After managing to get one with 31/0-3/X/31/31/31. I kept trying to get the defense perfect as well.
Next 2 pokemon a male and a female with 31/x/31/31/31/31 . . . and both of them had Blaze :( Sad times.

RoySceptile

Bakaner
Aaargh!! So frustrated, been trying to IV breed a Timid Magician Fennekin all week. After managing to get one with 31/0-3/X/31/31/31. I kept trying to get the defense perfect as well.
Next 2 pokemon a male and a female with 31/x/31/31/31/31 . . . and both of them had Blaze :( Sad times.

Wow, I wish I had your luck (and patience, probably).
I have two parents with like 3-4 perfect IVs, give one Destiny Knot, and I keep getting off-spring with 1 (sometimes even none) perfect IVs.

MSK

Wow, I wish I had your luck (and patience, probably).
I have two parents with like 3-4 perfect IVs, give one Destiny Knot, and I keep getting off-spring with 1 (sometimes even none) perfect IVs.

Oh yeah I've had loads of those, it's all about putting the right parent with the corresponding IV's in.
A little trick I've found put your parents in, wait til the man has an egg. Reject it so he keeps it, then save. Take the next egg he has and hatch it, check with the IV man which are 31's, soft reset and change one of the parents with another that has 31's in the slots that were rubbish last time, make an egg hatch and check again. Then you should be able to work out which parents are giving which IV's and which is the random stat.
If you have pokemon with the correct stats in all of the slots you want and the random stat is in the one you don't need then Soft reset again, put in the correct parents and there you go!!
Only thing is Ability is still random which is why I haven't got the fennekin I need yet :( lol

RoySceptile

Bakaner
Oh yeah I've had loads of those, it's all about putting the right parent with the corresponding IV's in.
A little trick I've found put your parents in, wait til the man has an egg. Reject it so he keeps it, then save. Take the next egg he has and hatch it, check with the IV man which are 31's, soft reset and change one of the parents with another that has 31's in the slots that were rubbish last time, make an egg hatch and check again. Then you should be able to work out which parents are giving which IV's and which is the random stat.
If you have pokemon with the correct stats in all of the slots you want and the random stat is in the one you don't need then Soft reset again, put in the correct parents and there you go!!
Only thing is Ability is still random which is why I haven't got the fennekin I need yet :( lol

Oh, nice. I'll definitely try this.
On the other hand, I'm quite lucky with abilities and genders; get the right combination fairly quickly, haha.

igloc

Quick Question, Sorry if it may sound dumb xD

But if you have fully ev trained a pokemon and used rare candies to level it will it be weaker than one you trained normally?

RoySceptile

Bakaner
Quick Question, Sorry if it may sound dumb xD

But if you have fully ev trained a pokemon and used rare candies to level it will it be weaker than one you trained normally?

No.
If you have the Rare Candies, definitely go for it.

KamFTW

Banned
I find this Super Training feature very useful. I like the whole aspect of it all together. I am currently using it to HP train my Hippowdon.

tom32090

Well i created my first flawless pokemon today! A charmander with timid nature and all IV full except attack! so now who should i make next? What are team essentials?

Hiss13

Psychic Lover
for Mawile I'd suggest 252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Def. For Tyranitar I suggest the same.

I'd say go with 252 HP and 80 for Def. and 176 for Sp.Def; it will reach 400+ Attack (after Huge Power) without investment, anyway (as long as the nature does not hinder Attack).
Unless you want to just completely kill stuff.

Tyranitar; again, I'd do the same, unless it has Dragon Dance, in which case it would be good to add some Speed EVs to make sure you outspeed certain things after after 1 Dance. Sandstorm increases Sp.Def by one stage (as long as it's active), and I doubt it can tank a Close Combat from anything that learns it.

Thanks for the advice. I'll weigh the options and decide once I've bred them.

XD Mewtwo

Void#ZX0
I cannot believe this! After I finally had gotten a perfect Mawile and Ampharos for my Trick Room Team, I went to the Elite 4 to level them up a bit and fill out their moveslots, so I turned on Exp Share. Then after I beat the Elite 4 and the credits end, I decide to Super Train them, only to find they had gotten EVs from the Elite 4 battles, now I'm stuck with ruined EVs until I find 2 Reset Bags, and I've not seen even one from both of my games.

Rakurai

That's why I make it a note to EV train my Pokemon before anything else.

It's probably easier to just blend a Maranga Berry and Kee Berry at the juice shop to reset EVs then to hope for a reset bag.

lcemaster

How long does it take to get a pokemon with all 31 IVs? I have two pokemon breeding right now with 5 perfect stats and they are the same, but so far no perfect baby.

Aura Flare Riolu

Cutest Riolu around!
Just got myself a 31/31/31/x/31/31 Adamant Speed Boost Torchic with Baton Pass. Named him Moegami. :)

How long does it take to get a pokemon with all 31 IVs? I have two pokemon breeding right now with 5 perfect stats and they are the same, but so far no perfect baby.

Are you using Destiny Knot? Because you have to. Even with it, it's not guaranteed but it shouldn't take that long.

Last edited:
Where would one find the destiny knot in X/Y?

bombe32

Where would one find the destiny knot in X/Y?

You can battle a girl somewhere in the streets of Lumiose City for a Destiny Knot (multiple times?). It's also given to you somewhere along your playthrough, can't remember where though.

Melevolence

Khan Breeder
I have a few more questions for master breeders :D When you want to breed Pokémon with good IVs, to pass them on to the offspring, I assume it does so at random. To be sure you pass on the IVs, you use Destiny Knot correct? But that will pass on only its best IVs, am I correct?

Also, I know now where the stat rater is, but how can you tell for sure if your Mon has 31 in an IV?

Last edited:

Kitara

Obsessive Collector
I have a few more questions for master breeders :D When you want to breed Pokémon with good IVs, to pass them on to the offspring, I assume it does so at random. To be sure you pass on the IVs, you use Destiny Knot correct? But that will pass on only its best IVs, am I correct?

Also, I know now where the stat rater is, but how can you tell for sure if your Mon has 31 in an IV?

Destiny knot randomly passes down 5 IVs from either parent, not necessarily the best ones. Also, I hear destiny knots don't stack. The power items (anklet, band, etc.) pass down a specific IV, which can overlap with the destiny knot, so I only use the anklet to pass down zero speed. Best bet is to have as many perfect IVs on your parent pokemon as possible.

The IV checker says a stat "can't be beat" if it is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.