• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Super Training/EV/IV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mi-tan

Quick question (apologies if this isn't the correct thread, it's IV-related so I thought this was the best place to post): I caught Mewtwo yesterday. Today I took him and a few others to the IV Judge guy in Kiloude, and the guy told me that Mewtwo's HP/Attack/Special Def. couldn't be beat. As I understand it, that means the IV in question is perfect. So is this a common thing, i.e. is the Mewtwo you catch guaranteed to have 3 perfect IVs, or was it just a fluke on my part?

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
Quick question (apologies if this isn't the correct thread, it's IV-related so I thought this was the best place to post): I caught Mewtwo yesterday. Today I took him and a few others to the IV Judge guy in Kiloude, and the guy told me that Mewtwo's HP/Attack/Special Def. couldn't be beat. As I understand it, that means the IV in question is perfect. So is this a common thing, i.e. is the Mewtwo you catch guaranteed to have 3 perfect IVs, or was it just a fluke on my part?
I'm pretty sure Mewtwo (and the other legendaries, or at least Yveltal/Xerneas) are guaranteed to have 3 perfect IVs. I see you have X, that perfect Attack IV would be nice on MegaMewtwo X, hopefully you got a decent nature on it.

Mi-tan

I'm pretty sure Mewtwo (and the other legendaries, or at least Yveltal/Xerneas) are guaranteed to have 3 perfect IVs. I see you have X, that perfect Attack IV would be nice on MegaMewtwo X, hopefully you got a decent nature on it.

Oh, that's cool, thanks! His nature is Timid, which I guess is decent since his Speed's only second-best to his Special Attack. I probably should have tried catching him a few times to try for a better nature, but I wasn't planning to use him in battle at all so I didn't think of it. (As you can probably tell, X is the first time I've even thought about the topic of this thread. xD)

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
I believe it did work, since the Destiny Knot picks 5 random IV of the pokemonr and the power just picks one. Since Destiny Knot picks random stats. However if the Destiny knot picks the right IV in the Pokemon that pass down. I believe the Pokemon come out of the egg will have all the highest stats of it parents.((If you using both Destiny Knot and Power Items.)) Maybe not the first egg, but you'll might get them fest on the baby pokemon.

So I believe, if you got one have 31 in 5 stats and the other on that is 31 in the missing Stats. I believe the chance of the baby Pokemon having 31 is greater that having all 31 stats. Since Destiny Knot picks 5 Iv at random. Meaning if the Destiny Knot didn't pick the IV that the other Parent good it. Then the Power Item picks it up.

However, I believe you have to keep breeding the last Pokemon over and over to get the nature you want.

I might be wrong.
Destiny Knot picks 5 IVs at random from both parents, this is simply increasing the 3 IVs that get passed down through regular breeding. Power items guarantees their specific stat IV who's holding it get's passed down and it's counted as one of the 3 IVs that get passed down through regular breeding. If you breed two pokemon and they are holding Destiny Knot and a Power item, the Power item will be counted as one of the 5 IVs that get passed down. It only guarantees that specific stat IV will be passed down to the offspring while 4 IVs are chosen at random.
So the two don't work separately allowing you to get an offspring with 6 perfect IVs since one parent has the missing IV. Regardless, if your using the Destiny Knot item there will still be one stat that chooses the IV at random. This does however make breeding for 6 flawless IVs easier but still very much time consuming. In fact I don't see the point in having 6 flawless IVs unless that Pokemon can be a mixed attackers, 5 IVs is really all that you need.

iTarTar

So I start breeding Charmanders because I have a M/F pair of perfect Charizards from a trade. First egg I hatch I get a Flawless Male Charmander! Time to learn how to breed I guess. Would it be plausible to chain breed IVs from this beauty to a Tryantrum (Stealthy rocks time) and then to a Larvitar?

Floette

Fennekin
I'm still kind of confused on IV breeding.

Say you have two parents of the same species with these IV spreads: 31/31/x/31/31/31 holding a destiny knot and x/x/31/x/x/x. What is the chance of getting a flawless offspring? Also, how do I calculate IV's in X and Y? I've tried to figure it out since Gen 4, and never have been able to, even using a calculator. I never got accurate answers.

How difficult is it to breed a flawless pokemon on your own? What is the best method (in XY) of breeding the proper parents to get flawless?

Kreayshawn

Trying to IV breed is so tedious omg. Tried to breed a Larvitar w/ Dragon Dance, Pursuit, & Stealth rock 31/31/31/x/31/31 took me like 2 boxes

Now trying Heracross w/ Rock Blast which is even worse because I need Moxie

Anyone have tips

Kreayshawn

Probably a dumb question but if I'm going to Mega Evolve my Heracross, is it worth it to get one with Moxie? Like just straight away Mega.. Because it changes to skill link anyway so would a 5 IV Guts/ Swarm one be good?

CircuitAngel

If you are going to Mega Evolve immediately, Moxie is worthless. If you switch in on something you can Revenge Kill before Mega Evolving next turn (or even later), Moxie is awesome.

STADIUM

Boulder Trainer
I haven't used Ditto since DPPt, but now I want to train one again with its hidden ability. I've always wondererd what is the best way to train a Ditto. If I train it with adamant nature and attack/speed EVs, it will be good when it transforms into an adamant pokémon, but not when it transforms into a modest pokémon. With its hidden ability you can't control who it will transform into in double/triple battles. Would it be a good option to train its defences?

And another question: I haven't bred pokémon before to get perfect IVs, but I want to start doing so in XY. How do you manage to get the desired egg moves along with good nature, ability and IVs? Do you need that every pokémon in the breeding chain has good IVs too?

Cuthrout

I'm still kind of confused on IV breeding.

Say you have two parents of the same species with these IV spreads: 31/31/x/31/31/31 holding a destiny knot and x/x/31/x/x/x. What is the chance of getting a flawless offspring? Also, how do I calculate IV's in X and Y? I've tried to figure it out since Gen 4, and never have been able to, even using a calculator. I never got accurate answers.

How difficult is it to breed a flawless pokemon on your own? What is the best method (in XY) of breeding the proper parents to get flawless?

Surprisingly high chance of failure, as 5 stats are sent down and 1 is random. That is 1/32 chance when breeding 2 pokemon with IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31. breeding with a pokemon with only 1 stat that is 31 using the destiny knot would give probable chance that it would take the stats from that pokemon and as such you are likely to get offspring with either no stats at IV 31 all the way up 6 stats with IV 31 and thats not due to having a pokemon with IVs x/x/31/x/x/x that is having the luck of having the destiny knot take all the stats from the 5 IV pokemon and the random stat value it chooses to pass on being IV 31. General rule of thumb the more stats that you have that are the same on both male and female the higher the chance of them passing down the flawless stat as the destiny knot chooses from both male and female which stat to take down if they have the same stat then it is forced to take down such stat. Such as breeding IV 31/x/31/31/x/31 with a pokemon with x/31/31/31/x/31. The stats which would be transferred down by the destiny knot if not chosen as the random stat would be defence, special attack and speed. It would be a 50% chance of getting HP and attack to go to the offspring but thats hoping the destiny knot doesn't choose that stat to be the random and taking it from the correct parent. whilst special defence has neither parent with IV 31 so to become IV 31 would need the destiny knot to choose to take the other stats down and when randomizing the stat value it is a 1/32 that it will be IV 31.

I haven't used Ditto since DPPt, but now I want to train one again with its hidden ability. I've always wondererd what is the best way to train a Ditto. If I train it with adamant nature and attack/speed EVs, it will be good when it transforms into an adamant pokémon, but not when it transforms into a modest pokémon. With its hidden ability you can't control who it will transform into in double/triple battles. Would it be a good option to train its defences?

The only stat Ditto keeps is its HP; all other stats are transformed into the opponents. Therefore, you literally only need a Ditto with 31 HP, and 252 HP EVs - nothing else matters.

STADIUM

Boulder Trainer
But if Ditto copies the stats of the oponents, does it mean that can have more than 510 EVs while transformed? If I max HP and it transforms into a pkmn with 252 EVs in attack and speed, Ditto will have three stats at max, right? Sounds good to compensate its mediocre base stats. That would also explain why I noticed that a Ditto is usually faster than the oponent it transforms into...

Thanks for the info, Agonist. ^^

SilverChiko

Protect The Smiles!
I just have a quick question regarding Super Training:

Right now I am EV training my Honedge in Attack and I thought I had correctly counted to 252 but it's been going past what I believed to be 256, now, when it does reach the proper stat will it seem to be able to go further but in reality have no change or will it say that stat is maxed in EVs?

Thanks in advance.

But if Ditto copies the stats of the oponents, does it mean that can have more than 510 EVs while transformed? If I max HP and it transforms into a pkmn with 252 EVs in attack and speed, Ditto will have three stats at max, right? Sounds good to compensate its mediocre base stats. That would also explain why I noticed that a Ditto is usually faster than the oponent it transforms into...

Thanks for the info, Agonist. ^^

No. The only EVs that affect Ditto once transformed are HP EVs. The reason Ditto is generally faster is because most players equip a Choice Scarf to it.

I just have a quick question regarding Super Training:

Right now I am EV training my Honedge in Attack and I thought I had correctly counted to 252 but it's been going past what I believed to be 256, now, when it does reach the proper stat will it seem to be able to go further but in reality have no change or will it say that stat is maxed in EVs?

Thanks in advance.

EVs max out at 252 now, so if the stat no longer goes up, it's maxed.

Puma Italia

Are there Pokemon that are in more egg groups than others? What would be some Pokemon that would be worth IV breeding to make breeding easier in general?

tom32090

I have been using the list from bulbapedia to try and plan whatpokes to IV breed

Cuthrout

Are there Pokemon that are in more egg groups than others? What would be some Pokemon that would be worth IV breeding to make breeding easier in general?

Pokemon generally have 1 or 2 egg groups obviously ditto doesn't count. I found having a Dragonite gets you both water 1 and dragon egg groups. I then managed to get an Arbok which is in Dragon and Field egg groups. I then used the Dragonite to breed a Stunfisk which meant I could breed into the Amorphous egg group. Working like this my aims are to get a 6 IV 31 male for each egg group. Way easier than trying to find the perfect Ditto.

Kreayshawn

This is what I want to know.. Most of the ones I want are in single egg groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.