• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Super Training/EV/IV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiss13

Psychic Lover
I'm still kind of confused on IV breeding.

Say you have two parents of the same species with these IV spreads: 31/31/x/31/31/31 holding a destiny knot and x/x/31/x/x/x. What is the chance of getting a flawless offspring? Also, how do I calculate IV's in X and Y? I've tried to figure it out since Gen 4, and never have been able to, even using a calculator. I never got accurate answers.

With those IV Spreads and Destiny Knot, then the probability is (1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/32)*6C5=3/512
Destiny Knot guarantees the passing of 5 IVs from the parents. For each stat, one out of each parent has a Perfect IV. Five out of each 6 stats will be gained from the parent and the last IV will be randomly generated from 0-31.

To find out which perfect IVs you have, go to Killoude City's PC and talk to the NPC in purple and he will look at your Pokemon's IVs. If he says "this stat can't be beat", then you have a Perfect IV in that stat. If you want to know exact IVs for the remaining stats, I have no idea.

I just trained a Male Eevee with 31 HP, Attack, Sp Atk, and Speed into a Sylveon. What are your thoughts on EV training? It has a Modest Nature. Right now I'm leaning towards Sp Atk and maybe Speed.

Its ability is Cute Charm. Does the fact that it is a male matter? Would having that ability on a female be more helpful? Just curious.

Last edited:

SirRob

Not a pervert
I don't know about speed-- with 60 base speed it won't be outrunning much even with that sort of investment. I'd go with HP instead; even though your defensive IVs aren't maxed, Sylveon should still be pretty bulky, so imo it'd be a better choice to put your EVs in.

With stuff like Mega Kangaskhan running around, being a male with Cute Charm isn't so bad. But Sylveon generally wants to avoid physical attacks anyway... so the ability won't see much use either way.

With stuff like Mega Kangaskhan running around, being a male with Cute Charm isn't so bad. But Sylveon generally wants to avoid physical attacks anyway... so the ability won't see much use either way.

"Mega Kangaskhan running around" is a somewhat terrifying image

I have Charm from breeding. Do you recommend I keep it for help avoid physical attacks?

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
I've been working on this project to complete my planned Battle Maison team for the last few days, but the RNG just flat out refuses to give me what I want. These are the parents;

Rotom 31/x/31/x/31/31 w/ Everstone
Ditto x/x/31/31/x/31 w/ Destiny Knot

Trying to get a Calm Rotom with 31/x/31/31/31/31, but the game just keeps hatching 4IV babies.

Anyone know the probability of hatching a baby with what I want from these parents?

SirRob

Not a pervert
"Mega Kangaskhan running around" is a somewhat terrifying image

I have Charm from breeding. Do you recommend I keep it for help avoid physical attacks?
No; I recommend Reflect if you're going to attempt to take physical hits. It would be best to have a partner that can take those hits for Sylveon though... Generally if you try and make each member work entirely on their own, you'll fail.

I've been working on this project to complete my planned Battle Maison team for the last few days, but the RNG just flat out refuses to give me what I want. These are the parents;

Rotom 31/x/31/x/31/31 w/ Everstone
Ditto x/x/31/31/x/31 w/ Destiny Knot

Trying to get a Calm Rotom with 31/x/31/31/31/31, but the game just keeps hatching 4IV babies.

Anyone know the probability of hatching a baby with what I want from these parents?
You should just replace the Ditto with one of those 4IV babies. It'd still take a couple hours though.

No; I recommend Reflect if you're going to attempt to take physical hits. It would be best to have a partner that can take those hits for Sylveon though... Generally if you try and make each member work entirely on their own, you'll fail.

It sounds like you have a feel for strategy way more than I do. I'm not sure what this means, to be totally honest. I have him using Dazzling Gleam, Calm Mind, Charm, and Shadow Ball right now. Are you talking about a doubles battle, or having someone pop Reflect before putting Sylveon in?

SirRob

Not a pervert
It sounds like you have a feel for strategy way more than I do. I'm not sure what this means, to be totally honest. I have him using Dazzling Gleam, Calm Mind, Charm, and Shadow Ball right now. Are you talking about a doubles battle, or having someone pop Reflect before putting Sylveon in?
Sylveon has access to Reflect, so it can use it on its own. It's better than Charm since it affects all the opponent's Pokemon and can help your teammates, too. It reduces the same amount of damage.
What I was talking about was, basically you want your Sylveon to be an attacker, but you also want to take both physical and special hits. That's asking a lot out of a single Pokemon, and you might find that you're spreading it a little too thin. It'd be better to give it a more specific role-- one that your team might be lacking in.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero

You should just replace the Ditto with one of those 4IV babies. It'd still take a couple hours though.

I would, but Rotom is Genderless >.<

SirRob

Not a pervert
I would, but Rotom is Genderless >.<
Ahh, that's lame. :)

Lesse... there's a 1/6 chance that the destiny knot won't pass down attack. At that point it has a 100% chance of passing down defense and speed. It has a 50% chance of passing down max HP, special attack and special defense... so 1/6 x 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 would be... 1/48. If my math's right.

I read somewhere that if your Ditto has 2 perfect IVs and the other parent has 4 perfect IVs, the chance of getting one with 5 perfect IVs is 1 in 24, but my god, it is taking much longer than that. Trying to get a 31/31/31/x/31/31 Golett but it's not working out. Should I just give up? Currently, the Golett I'm breeding is 31/31/x/x/31/31. Genderless Pokemon are a pain to breed.

Melevolence

Khan Breeder
I'm excited to announce I've hatched my second, nearly flawless Pokémon. I've hatched a Squirtle and a Prankster Sableye, both with 5 IVs. Though trying to get that 6th is...a pain in my *** :(

I'm trying for a 5 IV stat Electabuzz. Man is it a pain! When I get a Elekid with 4 IV , which I have not yet, I have to level it up to 30 and go from there since Elekid is in the "no egg" group.

Kind of a bummer since my favorite Electric Type Pokemon is Electivire.

Kreayshawn

Does Super training train EV's?

ricz

1384313251694.jpg

Ok so can someone please explain me this
This aromatisse has only one 31 iv (sp def i think) and it got way better stats than my 5 perfect ivs spritzee(pic on next post). And both are on the same level. Why is that???

ricz

1384313505408.jpg

Spritzee
Thanks for the help in advance. Really dont know why that happened

9ivory

凍結森
Im new to this IV breeding thing so i just wanted to know how it is possible for example, to breed a pokemon with two perfect IVs into a pokemon with more than 2 perfect IVs and not lose the 2 perfect IVs that you began with in the breeding process? And is it true that all pokemon in the friend safari have 2 IVs that are maxed out? Anyways, I've always been confused about this whole IV thing but im interested in trying to breed for IVs in certian pokemon.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Im new to this IV breeding thing so i just wanted to know how it is possible for example, to breed a pokemon with two perfect IVs into a pokemon with more than 2 perfect IVs and not lose the 2 perfect IVs that you began with in the breeding process? And is it true that all pokemon in the friend safari have 2 IVs that are maxed out? Anyways, I've always been confused about this whole IV thing but im interested in trying to breed for IVs in certian pokemon.

IVs are similar to genetics, breeding two pokemon with desired IVs can pass them down to the egg. The Destiny Knot item now has the added benefit of taking 5 of the 12 IVs that are the parents, and passing them to the child.

Example:

HP / Atk / Def / Sp. Atk / Sp. Def / Speed

Charmander (M) IVs are 31 / 14 / 22 / 6 / 19 / 21
Charmander (F) IVs are 20 / 13 / 9 / 18 / 24 / 26

Give either parent the Destiny Knot, and they produce an egg.

Charmander (M) IVs are 20 / 22 / 22 / 18 / 19 / 21

Because of the Destiny Knot, the baby got the Def / Sp. Def / Speed IVs from the Father, and the HP / Sp. Att IVs from the Mother. The Attack IV was then randomly generated.

And yes, every Pokemon caught in the Friend Safari is guaranteed to have at least 2 max IVs.

9ivory

凍結森
IVs are similar to genetics, breeding two pokemon with desired IVs can pass them down to the egg. The Destiny Knot item now has the added benefit of taking 5 of the 12 IVs that are the parents, and passing them to the child.

Example:

HP / Atk / Def / Sp. Atk / Sp. Def / Speed

Charmander (M) IVs are 31 / 14 / 22 / 6 / 19 / 21
Charmander (F) IVs are 20 / 13 / 9 / 18 / 24 / 26

Give either parent the Destiny Knot, and they produce an egg.

Charmander (M) IVs are 20 / 22 / 22 / 18 / 19 / 21

Because of the Destiny Knot, the baby got the Def / Sp. Def / Speed IVs from the Father, and the HP / Sp. Att IVs from the Mother. The Attack IV was then randomly generated.

And yes, every Pokemon caught in the Friend Safari is guaranteed to have at least 2 max IVs.

So is it all just a random chance? What if you wanted to select for specific IVs to be passed down? Is there a way to choose between a mother's and father's IVs that you want to pass down? Like for example, if I wanted to pass down a 31 Spd IV from the mother down to the child and not the father's Spd IV, is there a way to get that to work or do you just have to keep breeing until the right match is found? And another thing, if i breed two parents, both with 2 different perfect IVs from the safari, is there a way to match up what IV from what parent the child gets?

Status
Not open for further replies.