• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Super Training/EV/IV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuthrout

I'm having real trouble breeding a gible with rough skin. Have hatched at least 60 and no luck. The male parent has rough skin and the female has sand veil. I've been breeding with an everstone and Destiny knot and have switched them between both parents . However the offspring always has sand veil! Am I missing something! Please help!

Males can only pass down hidden abilities whilst breeding with a ditto. That is why you are having a hard time.

ChloboShoka

Writer
I don't do competitive battling, but supertraining is really addictive and fun. I ev trained an eevee with flawless I've in everything but attack and gave it max special attack and speed and a bit of up and defence. It's a timid nature, stuck between vaporeon or glaceon.

I have a five iv honedge from wondertrade. I really like doublade's design more then it's third stage counterpart.

Sydwinx

Queen of Hoopla
I need some help again, haha.

I caught shiny ivysaur, and I want to EV train her.

She has IVs in HP and Sp. Def, and has a sassy nature. (+Sp.Def/-Speed)

I also want to mega evolve her.

I don't know if she should be defensive, or offensive...any help would be appreciated.

iTarTar

Mega Venusaur is a mixed tanky wall. Max out HP, favor physical defenses if you want an even mixed wall or do 128 in both.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Sassy | 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SPDef or 180 Def / 42 SPDef
Earthquake
Synthesis / Sleep Powder
Sludge Bomb
Energy Ball / Solarbeam / Giga Drain

EQ to hit special walls and fires, synthesis for recovery, Sludge Bomb to smash fairies. Toss up between Energy Ball and Solarbeam. If you're not running weather use Energy Ball and Synthesis or Giga Drain and Sleep Powder.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I caught shiny ivysaur, and I want to EV train her.

She has IVs in HP and Sp. Def, and has a sassy nature. (+Sp.Def/-Speed)

I also want to mega evolve her.

I don't know if she should be defensive, or offensive...any help would be appreciated.

It depends on if you want your Mega Venusaur to go special tank or physical tank. Special tanks rely a lot on HP Fire to deal with threats such as Scizor, Aegislash, and Ferrothorn, which physical tanks have the bulk to be able to stand up to and KO without that move; it helps a lot if you have access to that, though Earthquake is a fair alternative.

Mega Venusaur should pick one defensive stat and go for it; 252 HP/252 (Def/SpD)/4 (SpA/Atk) should be your spread. Splitting your defensive EVs wrecks your tanking ability on both sides; I would suggest SpD, since it's already Sassy.

Venusaur's tanking ability takes a huge hit without the ability to run Giga Drain, and without Leftovers, Synthesis is mandatory. With no Power Whip and no Giga Drain, your best Grass STAB is going to be Energy Ball. The rest of your set depends on what your team needs from Mega Venusaur; if you need more insurance against Fairies, run Sludge Bomb. If you want a sleeper, run Sleep Powder; if you want another way to get health or get switches, run Leech Seed.

I'd say your set would probably end up looking like:

Venusaur (F) @ Venusaurite
Ability: whatever
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Energy Ball/Petal Blizzard
- Earthquake
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb/Sleep Powder

Last edited:

BrianOnLineID

Finally got aron with 5iv and stealth rocks! So now I just need to EV train it! I also have an idea about what my team will be:mega aggron, rotom [normal form], goodra, crawdaunt, braviary, and sylveon. I wanted to test this team out on showdown but I cant get it to work for me. Now I'm going to try to get a 5 or 6iv goodra with the gooey.

Ryoden

Hello, Over the last few weeks I have been trying to breed a shiny shroomish using the masuda method and I have discovered something very significant about breeding. I am not interested in having hundreds of shroomish so I have been collecting 5 eggs, hatching them, and then doing a soft reset. Every time I do this the first egg I receive hatches into the exact same shroomish. Gender, Nature, Stats and Ability are always exactly the same. I think this is also true in regards to IV transfer. The subsequent 4 eggs are random but it seems as though the "next" egg you are slated to get has already had many of it's randomly determined characteristics already decided.

A few weeks ago, on the pokememes site, I saw a person's claim that this even applies if you reset the game to a point when you do not have the parents in the daycare. I dismissed it at the time but now that I have corroborated it, it seems to be legit.

So if you save the game, chose two parent Pokémon, give one a destiny knot, collect and hatch an egg, check which IV's were transferred, reset, Chose two parents that have 31 IV's in the transferred stats and put them in the daycare you should be able to easily transfer the 31's from the parents exactly as needed to get a "perfect" Pokémon.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
I've got a Magnemite that I'm ready for training. The plan originally was 252 Defence, 252 Special defence, and 6 HP, and then give it an assault vest. It's analytic, and it's nature boosts defence and lowers speed.

But then I got thinking, as I rarely EV defensively (I tend to just go for 6 sweepers :p), especially not mixed defence. How important are EV's in HP? Would having massive stats in both defences pull me through, or would I be better investing say 80 in HP, and 212 in both defences instead, or is it neither here nor there? It has IV's of 31 in HP, Defence and Special defence if that makes any difference.

It should be noted I'm only really using to switch between pokemon, so I'm aware it's attacks would be poor, but the plan is hit second with volt switch, get a boost from stab and analytic, and then I'll get a clean switch into the next pokemon. Plus when used with Cloyster and Noivern (choice specs) as would be the plan, the weaknesses seem quite nicely covered.

So yeah, any opinions on how to ev it would be nice before I go and spoil a perfectly good pokemon.

iTarTar

@ Brain, consider using a Rotom-W. It can dish (hah, get it? dish, washer? no?...) out status and sponge hits like a boss while also being able to actually do something.

@ Ryoden, eggs are given a value upon being received. This value is not pre-determined (to the best of my knowledge) but is set in stone and cannot be changed through soft resets. I personally don't understand the IV resets too well.

@ Hammerheart, all walls that do not have a form of immediate recovery need to have 252 HP, and seeing how you are using an Assault Vest the amount of special defense EVs should be negligible. I suggest running:

Magneton @ Assault Vest
Relaxed | 252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 SPAtk
Thunderbolt
Volt Switch
Hidden Power Fire / Tri Attack
Flash Cannon

Ryoden

I thought this was true as well. I can say with certainty, that if you save your game before you receive an egg, receive the egg, check it's stats on hatching and then do a soft reset to receive the egg again. It will be identical to the one you received the first time.

Make of it what you will but as far as I can tell it is reliable.

unresponsive

still in a dream, skin eater
I'm not sure if this has been linked here already considering how many pages there are, but this IV breeding calculator might help people with common probability questions. It's not mine of course.

Kitara

Obsessive Collector
I thought this was true as well. I can say with certainty, that if you save your game before you receive an egg, receive the egg, check it's stats on hatching and then do a soft reset to receive the egg again. It will be identical to the one you received the first time.

Make of it what you will but as far as I can tell it is reliable.

Egg stats are now determined upon taking/rejecting the previous egg. Extremely different from past gens, and it took me a while to wrap my mind around it. Here is a link to a guide on Nugget Bridge that goes into more detail on how to take advantage of the new mechanics. Personally, I think normal breeding is easier and just as fast when considering all the time spent resetting, and the normal way is pretty mindless (pick up egg, hatch, IV check, replace parents with better ones, repeat till get target), which makes it simpler for me. Just my preference.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
@ Hammerheart, all walls that do not have a form of immediate recovery need to have 252 HP, and seeing how you are using an Assault Vest the amount of special defense EVs should be negligible. I suggest running:

Magneton @ Assault Vest
Relaxed | 252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 SPAtk
Thunderbolt
Volt Switch
Hidden Power Fire / Tri Attack
Flash Cannon
Cheers. That's the set I was going to run, with Tri Attack over an uncontrollable hidden power. (With the obvious exception of EV's)

edit: Just did the Maths, assuming damage calculation is the right on the main site, and I didn't make any errors. If a delphox hit with flamethrower and the random number generated was 100 both times, with 252 ev's in HP and 6 in SpD I would be left with 73 HP, and if I swapped it and did 252 in Sp.D and 6 in HP, I'd be left with 70.7 HP. So even against special attacks it's more beneficial to have HP, plus the HP comes in extra hand for physical too which would have suffered maxing out SpD. So yeah, you were definitely right with this one.

Last edited:

iTarTar

Cheers. That's the set I was going to run, with Tri Attack over an uncontrollable hidden power. (With the obvious exception of EV's)

edit: Just did the Maths, assuming damage calculation is the right on the main site, and I didn't make any errors. If a delphox hit with flamethrower and the random number generated was 100 both times, with 252 ev's in HP and 6 in SpD I would be left with 73 HP, and if I swapped it and did 252 in Sp.D and 6 in HP, I'd be left with 70.7 HP. So even against special attacks it's more beneficial to have HP, plus the HP comes in extra hand for physical too which would have suffered maxing out SpD. So yeah, you were definitely right with this one.

Quick calcs for you to see from another source

252+ SpA Delphox Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Magnezone: 216-254 (62.7 - 73.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
vs
252+ SpA Delphox Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Magnezone: 252-296 (89.6 - 105.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Well then... We can see which is definitely the better choice.

Cuthrout

Anyone got tips for breeding Rotom? I haven't tried breeding it yet, but as it can only breed with ditto :s. Going to be luck based breeding then? :p

Cressy

So I'm using Sylveon for the first time. And I want to use it but I have no idea how to ev train it. Its nature is Calm btw.

Rio!

Composer
So I'm using Sylveon for the first time. And I want to use it but I have no idea how to ev train it. Its nature is Calm btw.

Calm maximizes it's special defence at the cost of attack. SO. I'd def. put 252 into that.
The rest though depends on what you need it to do though.
I have one whose job is to pass around Wish and cause problems for others. :B

Males can only pass down hidden abilities whilst breeding with a ditto. That is why you are having a hard time.
I found that out the hard way a couple weeks ago while I was breeding Murkrow. I face-palmed once I looked that up about Ditto. XD

Last edited:

BrianOnLineID

@iTarTar

Thanks for the advice. I really like rotom's typing but I had a feeling that I should evlove it.

Cuthrout

Just bred a 5 IV rotom, it was the 2nd egg after upgrading to a 4 IV rotom for breeding, so I am happy :), might breed a few more for trading!

Status
Not open for further replies.