• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Super Training/EV/IV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerraRae

Alright, switched out the male for another male with 31/31/x/x/31/31 that was rated "superior overall" so hopefully we'll start getting some better results now .. This is getting ridiculous :p

And I assume 5 and 5 with different IVs would be even better? I've yielded a lot of imperfect 5IV Charmanders, none of which have the IVs I need lol

It's even worse when you're trying to breed a female with HA abilities that has a 12.5% chance of happening. So many bloody Charmanders...;_;

Lol I know the feeling, fortunately I was able to hatch 2 female protean froakies with perfect IVs after like 200 or so eggs.

iTarTar

@ Hiss13, Baton Pass would be important on that set xD I was tired when I typed it up, Steamroller isn't necessary.

@ imaGe, everything depends on luck. Getting that proper 5 IV spread can take boxes or minutes, it took me 4 boxes to get a Scrappy 31/31/31/x/31/31 Kangaskhan and 35 minutes to breed two 31/x/31/31/31/31 Mareep from scratch (Well I used a 6 IV male, but still).

@ TerraRae, the best spread for a Roselia would be one missing attack, not speed. Destiny Knot picks 5 out of the 12 IVs the parents have (or 5 stats to pass down from two parents) at random. It really is crap luck if you can't get the 5 IVs placed where you want.

All in all, if you're going to breed 5 IV Pokemon, get ready for a long haul. there will be disappointment and there will be failures, but all is worth the feeling of the IV judge telling you that everything is outstanding.

roy_vos

Pkmn researcher
if you EV train in Horde you get 5EV for 1 stat?? right? but you need only 4EV to get an +1 to a stat (like: Before Att: 27.. after Horde Att: 28 right? )

iTarTar: Thanks, just wanna know I wasn't doing anything wrong cause I IV bred protean froakies very easily and charmander is giving me the toughest time lol. Thanks for all the help everyone.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
if you EV train in Horde you get 5EV for 1 stat?? right? but you need only 4EV to get an +1 to a stat (like: Before Att: 27.. after Horde Att: 28 right? )

4 EVs is equal to an increase in 1 point in a stat at level 100. You can't EV train a level 1 Pokemon and expect it to have immediate increases in stats - you will see the full effects of your training once the Pokemon reaches higher levels.

In a Horde, you get 5 times the number of EVs the Horde Pokemon offers. So, for example, if you encounter a Gulpin Horde, each Gulpin offers 1 HP EV. If you faint the entire Horde, you get 5 HP EVs. But you can increase this number. If you give your Pokemon the Power Weight, that adds +4 EVs to EACH Gulpin. That means that you will now get (1+4)*5, or 25 HP EVs from that Gulpin Horde. And, on top of that, if your Pokemon has Pokerus, you get DOUBLE the number of EVs from the Horde. So if you have Pokemon with Pokerus that is holding the Power Weight and it defeats a Gulpin Horde, you will get (1+4)*5*2, or 50 HP EVs, from that Horde.

Does that help at all?

Cuthrout

I have a similar question to the poster above and I apologize if this has been asked a lot before ..
I'm trying to build a 31/31/x/31/31/31 Roserade (Timid nature and egg move Sleep Powder, but those have been handled) and I have, in the daycare currently:

x/31/x/31/31/31
31/x/x/31/31/31
One of them has a Destiny Knot, the other has an Everstone (to preserve the Nature I want)
But I've been getting almost consistantly worse batches of eggs. My last batch had two Roselias with only ONE perfect IV. I did recently get one with 4/5 (All but speed). Should I switch out and put that one (with all but speed) in with one that has JUST speed? Or should I continue to try my luck with the two I have in now?
Thanks so much and sorry again if this has been beat to death :S

As long as the IV's overlap and you have 4 and 4 different IV's then your going to increase your chances.

Alright, switched out the male for another male with 31/31/x/x/31/31 that was rated "superior overall" so hopefully we'll start getting some better results now .. This is getting ridiculous :p

To increase the chances of getting better eggs, have the parents to have same IV's, then when the destiny knot chooses the stats it gives you a better chance of an IV 31 stat. e.g. if both parents have IV 31 in HP so long as that isn't the random stat you will have IV 31 HP egg. I do think you have just been unlucky.

roy_vos

Pkmn researcher
4 EVs is equal to an increase in 1 point in a stat at level 100. You can't EV train a level 1 Pokemon and expect it to have immediate increases in stats - you will see the full effects of your training once the Pokemon reaches higher levels.

In a Horde, you get 5 times the number of EVs the Horde Pokemon offers. So, for example, if you encounter a Gulpin Horde, each Gulpin offers 1 HP EV. If you faint the entire Horde, you get 5 HP EVs. But you can increase this number. If you give your Pokemon the Power Weight, that adds +4 EVs to EACH Gulpin. That means that you will now get (1+4)*5, or 25 HP EVs from that Gulpin Horde. And, on top of that, if your Pokemon has Pokerus, you get DOUBLE the number of EVs from the Horde. So if you have Pokemon with Pokerus that is holding the Power Weight and it defeats a Gulpin Horde, you will get (1+4)*5*2, or 50 HP EVs, from that Horde.

Does that help at all?

haha thx, i know how it works. i was just wondering why it didnt got a Att +1 after a horde battle. my charmander is still lv 12 and has 27 Att

Just hatched the pokemon i am most proud of... A (female) Larvesta with the stats of 31/31/30/31/30/30. I do realize that it isn't perfect in most of your eyes but I was breeding for Hidden Power Rock and that is as good as it gets right there.

ImpendingChaos

Just hatched a Modest 31/x/31/31/31/31 Skrelp.

NightShadow

Quick question. How the heck are you supposed to EV train a Honedge. I want the attack stat to be the highest, but do I train it in attack or defense? I mean it switches the first number of the stat on its defense and attack stats.

Chandreigon

Pokemon Master
I'm looking for a good EV spread for my Togekiss. It's Male Modest Serene Grace 31/31/31/31/31/31, and I usually run the moveset Roost/Flamethrower/Air Slash/Dazzling Gleam.

VainAttempts

Marsh Trainer
Quick question. How the heck are you supposed to EV train a Honedge. I want the attack stat to be the highest, but do I train it in attack or defense? I mean it switches the first number of the stat on its defense and attack stats.
Brave Nature and Attack and HP is the way to go so when it attacks, it hits the hardest it can but you'll usually go last with Brave nature so you tank the hit with base 150 Defenses backed up by 252 HP.

Puma Italia

I'm looking for a good EV spread for my Togekiss. It's Male Modest Serene Grace 31/31/31/31/31/31, and I usually run the moveset Roost/Flamethrower/Air Slash/Dazzling Gleam.

either 252 HP/ 252 Spe / 4 SpA or 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

depending on if you want it more bulky or more offensive.

VainAttempts

Marsh Trainer
I started using Furfrou and I feel like it could be better. Right now it's:

Furfrou @ Leftovers
31/31/31/x/31/31
Impish | Fur Coat
198 HP / 252 Defense / 60 Speed
Headbutt | Sucker Punch | Thunder Wave | Cotton Guard

I know the nature and IV Spread is perfect but I'm not sure about the EV spread. I feel like it could be more bulkier with Max HP, but the 60 Speed has helped a lot when it comes to crippling slower Pokemon with Twave.

Also, I am not sure whether to run Return as its main STAB due to it being more powerful or Headbutt to try to get paraflinch.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
I started using Furfrou and I feel like it could be better. Right now it's:

Furfrou @ Leftovers
31/31/31/x/31/31
Impish | Fur Coat
198 HP / 252 Defense / 60 Speed
Headbutt | Sucker Punch | Thunder Wave | Cotton Guard

I know the nature and IV Spread is perfect but I'm not sure about the EV spread. I feel like it could be more bulkier with Max HP, but the 60 Speed has helped a lot when it comes to crippling slower Pokemon with Twave.

Also, I am not sure whether to run Return as its main STAB due to it being more powerful or Headbutt to try to get paraflinch.

Furfrou works best as a status-inducing wall and not as an attacker. It DOES have a really nice Speed stat, but it doesn't really have the Attack stat to hit hard even if it does outspeed things. Plus, if you predict correctly, it doesn't NEED that Speed stat anyway if it's going to be a wall. It seems to me that with this set, you are trying to be an attacker and a status-inducer at the same time, and that probably isn't going to work because Furfrou doesn't hit hard. Personally, this is what I would do:

Furfrou @ Leftovers
Impish
252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef or 4 HP/252 Def/252 SpDef (I'm not sure which one of those would be better)

Baby-Doll Eyes (increased priority)/Cotton Guard
Thunder Wave/Toxic
Roar
Return/ U-Turn

Headbutt isn't going to help you get paraflinch without Serene Grace, so I would go with Return because it's more powerful. You could also try out using U-Turn. However, if you like your set and it's working for you with your team, then you know what they say here in the Deep South - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

EDIT: Just thought about this - if Special Attackers are giving you trouble, you could use Snarl on them, but I'm not really confident how possible that would be, since you already need all the moves you have.

Last edited:

Javier952

I synchronized a Modest Yveltal and the first I caught had the following IV's

28 / 31 / 30 / 31 / 31 / 27

Should I keep it, or keep SRing until I get something else?

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
I synchronized a Modest Yveltal and the first I caught had the following IV's

28 / 31 / 30 / 31 / 31 / 27

Should I keep it, or keep SRing until I get something else?

I would definitely keep it. That Yvetal is near-flawless, you got a 31 in Special Attack, and chances are you won't have such good luck again. There is absolutely no reason to reset over that Yvetal.

Status
Not open for further replies.