• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Super Training/EV/IV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dande

I am new to the whole IV training but I have got a lot of spare time and have slowly begun to understand what to do. I have managed to breed a few Eevee's with 5IV's in different stats. I got lucky with a few wonder trades to start me off.

However how do you know what IV spread will be useful and which EV's to boost on each Pokemon.

Also will it be useful to breed a male of each egg type with 5IVs to help later on.

My main use will be to build good teams for the battle maison as I struggled to get any distant and it was more perseverance that I got enough BP to get some evolution items .

Thanks in advance for any help.

roy_vos

Pkmn researcher
I spend 3weeks to hatch a charmander with 31/31/31/××/31/31. And last night. I was watching Austin Power. And BAMM in a half hour. A 31/31/31/31/31/31 Duskull. I was like WTF. What did i wrong with my charmander XD . I was so lucky XD

My next pokemon will be a Muk with Shadow Sneak. But what will be best for hem?? I was thinking of 31/31/31/××/31/31

Ѕhiny Missingno

However how do you know what IV spread will be useful and which EV's to boost on each Pokemon.
Most of the time competitively used pokemon only specialize in one offensive stat. For example, Hydreigon primarily focuses on Special Attack and Skarmory prefers to use Physical Attack. So, if you were training Hydreigon, Attack should be the non-31 IV because usually it isn't using physical attacks. However, some pokemon can use both of their offensive stats and go mixed. In those situations while it would be best to have full 31 in all IVs, it is often enough to have one of the offensive stats be close to maximum while the other is maxed.

Now for EVs it's a bit more complicated. First, you should have a plan on how to use the pokemon you're training. If you intend to use it offensively, going for 252 in Speed and the used Attack stats is a good idea. Some offensively used pokemon like Aegislash don't have too good natural speed base stat so they should invest in HP instead of Speed.
For defensive pokemon, generally having max HP EV is the best way to go. The remaining 256 EVs are usually put into defence stats depending on which side you want to defend from.

There is a community called Smogon where you can find suggestions for EV spreads and see what kinds of moves are good to use etc.

Also will it be useful to breed a male of each egg type with 5IVs to help later on.

Definitely. Once you've bred a lot of different pokemon, you can use them to get even more pokemon more easily and breeding becomes a really fast process.

My main use will be to build good teams for the battle maison as I struggled to get any distant and it was more perseverance that I got enough BP to get some evolution items .

Thanks in advance for any help.

No problem. :)

Cuthrout

Definitely. Once you've bred a lot of different pokemon, you can use them to get even more pokemon more easily and breeding becomes a really fast process.

Breeding is ridiculously fast when you have a 6 IV male of the egg group, its just swapping out for better females, only the ones requiring ditto can be a pain.

iTarTar

@ Dande, I posted a mini-guide for making competitive teams from scratch. [URL="http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?617743-Super-Training-EV-IV-Thread&p=16723748#post16723748"=http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?617743-Super-Training-EV-IV-Thread&p=16723748#post16723748]Here's the link.[/URL] The best thing to have in mind when making a Battle maison team is "What will I be doing?". Will you be doing Singles, Doubles or Triples? What Pokemon would you like to use, what Pokemon do you have that you can use? Which Pokemon work well together? Competitive battling isn't about having 6 super strong Pokemon that can "do everything on their own". You need a Pokemon for support, walling, sponging, switching it, sweeping, tanking, statuses and you need six Pokemon that cover each other well. I.E. running a team of Aggron, Lucario, Excadrill, Steelix, Bastiodon and Metagross isn't the best idea because they all share common weaknesses. When building a team you want to try not have any typings overlap as well as weaknesses. Also think about offensive capabilities vs defensive capabilities; Avalugg is an Ice type with amazing defense, but only one resistance... Not the best. On the other hand, Swampert is an amazing Pokemon with only one weakness... but with terrible speed. Think of a Pokemon to act as a center-piece to your team - seeing as how you're new, pick a mega Pokemon - and find other Pokemon that can help it. Here's an example of a team revolving around Mega-Lucario:

Mega Lucario @ Lucarionite
Timid | 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed
Nasty Plot - Shadow Ball - Flash Cannon - Vacuum Wave

His role is a special set-up sweeper. He comes in mid to late game to finish off the other team or can be your lead as you punch holes through your enemy's team. Try and get the Nasty Plot off and then proceed to hit with the best move for the time. Vacuum Wave is priority to finish off faster Pokemon while the other moves provide great coverage... Now you want something that can do the same as Lucario, but resists what he is weak to and hit from a physical side.

Scizor @ Leftovers w/ Technician
Adamant | 252 HP / 252 Attack
Roost - Bullet Punch - Wing Attack - Night Slash

Although he does share a weakness with Lucario, Scizor is very capable of surviving hits. This set capitalizes on lengthy survival, forgoing any need to set up.

Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry
Calm | 252 HP / 56 Special Attack / 196 Special Defense
Will-o-Wisp - Hex - Hydro Pump - Thunderbolt/ Volt Switch

Rounding out the weaknesses while also being able to do some damage and hand out status, Rotom-W is a great addition to the combo of Scizor and Lucario.

My best suggestion would have to be that you just explore Smogon to learn more about competitive if you're interested.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
@ Dande, I posted a mini-guide for making competitive teams from scratch.

iTarTar - I'm interested in reading your guide, but the link doesn't work. I did get it to work by pulling the URL out of the HTML stuff in the quote above, but you can't click on it and have it take you to the guide.

Here it is for anyone who wants to read it.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
My question of curiosity is:

When the super training and simpler IV training available in X and Y, did these two elements successfully bring in some casual pokemon players into the field of Pokemon's metagame?

I mean, from experience and knowledge, if you're a casual pokemon player, you would usually not follow the meta's standards for the most part.

Tiny_PL

Quick qestion:
Are there any news regarding the mechanics of Hidden Power's type?
I'm trying to get a flawless Magnemite with Magnet Pull and HP Fire, and the problem is that I'm getting mostly HP Ghost or Dragon :<

When the super training and simpler IV training available in X and Y, did these two elements successfully bring in some casual pokemon players into the field of Pokemon's metagame?

I mean, from experience and knowledge, if you're a casual pokemon player, you would usually not follow the meta's standards for the most part.

I'm curious also. I jus started to ev train an Adamant Scizor tech. Jus buying all proteins and stuff and curious if all that's necessary.

Today I realized how much of a pain in the *** it is to IV breed Riolus. Its evolution method takes too much time. Trying to breed one with perfect IVs and egg moves is really trying my patience.

petalferrous

It has...hair?

I don't know if you would say it brought me into the metagame, since I used to play on Smogon a few years ago, but I never touched IVs and rarely considered EVs the past 5 generations, but now I'm totally into it.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
I already got the perfect and flawless Blaziken. I've received it by breeding a lot and it took me like around 4 days to do it,and I'm very lucky. But I have a few questions that I like to ask of you.

Mega/Blaziken @ Blazikenite
EV: 252 ATK/ 6 HP/ 252 Speed
Ability: Speed Boost
Nature: Adamant
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31

Moveset:
Sword Dance
Flare Blitz
Sky Uppercut
Protect

1) Which ev spread is the best one for Blaziken's both normal and his Mega forms? Well it be 252 for Attack,and Speed with 4Evs for Health?

2) Do you think that Pokemon of the Week/Day can be very helpful for the competitive battles?

I was thinking of having this set for my perfect Blaziken and his Mega form. Flare Blitz and High Jump Kick are his main STAB. Sure Sword Dance can boost his attack sharply. But Hone Claws can boost his attack and Accuracy at the same time. That way I wouldn't have to risk his High Jump Kick,and it can't be missed. With Speed Boost, it can outspeed about everyone one. With 160 HP, it will become not only strong,and fast,but it also become bulky as well.

EV: 160 HP/ 252 Atk/ 96 Speed

Moveset:
Sword Dance/Hone Claws
Flare Blitz
High Jump Kick
Protect

Last edited:

Cuthrout

I already got the perfect and flawless Blaziken. I've received it by breeding a lot and it took me like around 4 days to do it,and I'm very lucky. But I have a few questions that I like to ask of you.

Mega/Blaziken @ Blazikenite
EV: 252 ATK/ 6 HP/ 252 Speed
Ability: Speed Boost
Nature: Adamant
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31

Moveset:
Sword Dance
Flare Blitz
Sky Uppercut
Protect

1) Which ev spread is the best one for Blaziken's both normal and his Mega forms? Well it be 252 for Attack,and Speed with 4Evs for Health?

2) Do you think that Pokemon of the Week/Day can be very helpful for the competitive battles?

I was thinking of having this set for my perfect Blaziken and his Mega form. Flare Blitz and High Jump Kick are his main STAB. Sure Sword Dance can boost his attack sharply. But Hone Claws can boost his attack and Accuracy at the same time. That way I wouldn't have to risk his High Jump Kick,and it can't be missed. With Speed Boost, it can outspeed about everyone one. With 160 HP, it will become not only strong,and fast,but it also become bulky as well.

EV: 160 HP/ 252 Atk/ 96 Speed

Moveset:
Sword Dance/Hone Claws
Flare Blitz
High Jump Kick
Protect

Pokemon of the week is actually a more fun way to battle I find. Sometimes when i cant choose what team to use, I look at Serebii's POTW and build a team around it for a change from the standard team, can be hilarious when people go up against pokemon they just don't expect.

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
Pokemon of the week is actually a more fun way to battle I find. Sometimes when i cant choose what team to use, I look at Serebii's POTW and build a team around it for a change from the standard team, can be hilarious when people go up against pokemon they just don't expect.

I see. So you're saying is that POTD can be funny when people go up against the pokemon that they don't expect. I see. But which ev spread is the best one for Blaziken's normal and mega form?

VainAttempts

Marsh Trainer
Is Jolly or Adamant better for a Dragon Dance Multiscale Dragonite? More power or more speed?

Also, would you run Outrage or Dragon Claw? I'm not sure since Fairy types are everywhere and I don't wanna get locked in.

And if the spread is 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 6 HP, would it be better to run Leftovers to preserve the Multiscale or a Weakness Policy and hope I get hit by a super effective move.

The moveset is gonna be: Dragon Dance | Dragon Claw / Outrage | Fire Punch | Roost / Thunderpunch (testing both out).

Last edited:

Rio!

Composer
I see. So you're saying is that POTD can be funny when people go up against the pokemon that they don't expect. I see. But which ev spread is the best one for Blaziken's normal and mega form?

252 for Speed and Attack of course! It's very necessary, especially since he's an attacker. :B
Then the remaining leftover EVs for HP.

Ze DreamGirl

Future Vaporeon
I need tips to win Roserade's secret training...I want more Shiny Stones...:(

BrianOnLineID

Finally got a team together! A little unsure about mega aggron's moves and sylveon's moves and ev's but I feel good about this team! Really wish I could have found a way to use Braviary.

Aggron @ Aggronite
Sturdy
Calm
4 Atk / 252 SpD / 252 Hp
- Earthquake
- Rest
- Heavy Slam
- Sleep Talk

Sylveon @ Sitrus Berry
Cute Charm
Calm
4 Sp / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
- Protect
- Psyshock
- Draining Kiss
- Light Screen

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Gooey
Modest
4 SpD / 252 SpA / 252 Hp
- Dragon Pulse
- Sludge bomb
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt

Conkeldurr @ Life orb
Sheer Force
Jolly
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
- Bulldoze
- Rock Slide
- Force Palm
- Poison Jab

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Brave
Adaptability
252 Hp / 252 Atk/ 4 SpD
- Switcheroo
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
- Crunch

Rotom-Wash @ Chestto Berry
Levitate
Modest
4 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Hp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Rest
- Will-O-Wisp

FinchReese

I am trying to breed a Lapras with 4 IVS in Hp, def, special attack and special def. I cannot seem to get one with those 4 IVS. Currently in the day care I have a female Lapras with Attack, Spa and SPD. Also a male with Atk and def (My only Lapras with Def). They are holding Destiny Knot and Everstone, I just cant seem to shift the def over. Am I doing it wrong? Something else I should try?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.