• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Super Training/EV/IV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I am trying to breed a Lapras with 4 IVS in Hp, def, special attack and special def. I cannot seem to get one with those 4 IVS. Currently in the day care I have a female Lapras with Attack, Spa and SPD. Also a male with Atk and def (My only Lapras with Def). They are holding Destiny Knot and Everstone, I just cant seem to shift the def over. Am I doing it wrong? Something else I should try?

Thanks

You can try making your male Lapras hold a Power Belt if you're really desperate, but like many other things, it's based on luck. Just keep hatching Eggs until you get what you need.

Arg0ne

Lighthouse Keeper
Hi guys, not sure if im in the right place, but I was just wondering, after ev training your pokemon does it matter what pokemon you battle to level up? Will that effect the stat gsins?

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
Hi guys, not sure if im in the right place, but I was just wondering, after ev training your pokemon does it matter what pokemon you battle to level up? Will that effect the stat gsins?

if its ev's are maxed, the pokemon you battle to level up dont matter

FinchReese

You can try making your male Lapras hold a Power Belt if you're really desperate, but like many other things, it's based on luck. Just keep hatching Eggs until you get what you need.

Thanks. Just did another 20 eggs and now all im getting is either attack and/or defense really. Ugh. I did Snorlax and Aerodactyl a lot faster than Lapras. Feels like im just wasting my time every time I log on to play :(

Cuthrout

Thanks. Just did another 20 eggs and now all im getting is either attack and/or defense really. Ugh. I did Snorlax and Aerodactyl a lot faster than Lapras. Feels like im just wasting my time every time I log on to play :(

Don't give up hope. I found breeding my first bug type difficult, my dragon egg group i got to 6 IV's in under 30 eggs which I was happy about. Sometimes lady luck just aint on your side.

thegera

Hello everyone im new around here and i have come for experts help. I have a couple of questions about EV training (im also new to EV training)...

I have a Salamence Lv. 74 in Pokemon X, that im training to max out Sp. Atk. and Atk. Im training at frozen cavern with vanillite, smoochum and cubchoo hordes. My salamence is using the macho brace.

I currently have a Sp. Atk. stat of 204 points, and even though i keep battling the hordes of vanillites and smoochums, the stat stopped growing up. I checked salamence pokemoon inf here at serebii's pokedex for x and y versions, and there is a stat table for this pokemon..

1.- My salamence has a "careful nature" and a "quick tempered characteristic", what type would that be according to the table (hindering, neutral or beneficial)?
2.- According to the table, with a hindering nature the maximum amount of points for Sp. Atk. that you can get is 202-287 for level 100..is this range variable for each pokemon or can you do something to always achieve the maximum value (287 points)?
3.- What do you recommend in case i can do something to keep growing the stats?

I guess that will be all and I hope you can help a new trainer guys..

Thanks in advance.

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
Hello everyone im new around here and i have come for experts help. I have a couple of questions about EV training (im also new to EV training)...

I have a Salamence Lv. 74 in Pokemon X, that im training to max out Sp. Atk. and Atk. Im training at frozen cavern with vanillite, smoochum and cubchoo hordes. My salamence is using the macho brace.

I currently have a Sp. Atk. stat of 204 points, and even though i keep battling the hordes of vanillites and smoochums, the stat stopped growing up. I checked salamence pokemoon inf here at serebii's pokedex for x and y versions, and there is a stat table for this pokemon..

1.- My salamence has a "careful nature" and a "quick tempered characteristic", what type would that be according to the table (hindering, neutral or beneficial)?
2.- According to the table, with a hindering nature the maximum amount of points for Sp. Atk. that you can get is 202-287 for level 100..is this range variable for each pokemon or can you do something to always achieve the maximum value (287 points)?

Thanks in advance.

Hello.

First of all a Careful nature decreases its Sp. Attk stat, so it will never get full stats in Sp. Attk with that nature. Careful raises its Sp. Defence. If you look at your Salamance's stat page you will see one stat highlighted red and the other blue. In Pokemon Red = good and blue = bad. So any stat in red will get boosted points whilst any in blue (sp. attk in this case) gets decreased points.
Quick Tempered will help its Attack stat however a better characteristic is "Likes to Thrash about".
For a Nature it depends what stat you wish to sacrifice and which attack stat you would rather have the strongest. Do you want raw power and low speed? Raw Power, good speed but poor defences or maybe super speed with average attacking powers.
Also Do you really want a mixed attacker? Sometimes its best to focus on one attacking stat rather than both, then you can use your remaining stats ensuring its fast or defensive. So here's two alternative options....

Nature: Modest
Characteristic: Mischievous
Trained in Sp. Attk (maxed) and speed

or

Nature: Adamant
Characteristic: likes to Trash About
Trained in Attack (maxed) and speed

To get a maxed out stat you want both the nature and characteristic to be focused in the same stat as I've done in the examples above. I believe (correct me if I am wrong trainers) That only ONE stat can ever me maxed out, but the rest can be higher than average with the right investments.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Kitara

Obsessive Collector

Thanks in advance.

2. That stat max varies for each salamence based on it's IVs as well as EVs.
3. Keep EV training. Note that the table is for level 100. Stats are calculated by level, so a level 1 Salamence with maxed Sp Att won't have 200+ sp att, but the EVs are there. You'll see the full effect of the EVs at lv 100.

thegera

Thanks for the answers guys, now i know what do the colors in the stat screen mean :p...

Im also training an Aggron and he is at level 48, but the defense stat is at 229 and it also stopped growing... does that mean that i already maxed out this stat, and now the only thing that i have to do is to train the pokemon up to lv 100 in order to get the full effect? or will i be able to keep training EV at level 100?... in case the 1st question is affirmative... I guess I can train all my team EVs at their current lower levels, and then just worry about leveling up to 100 right?

thanks again for the help

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
Thanks for the answers guys, now i know what do the colors in the stat screen mean :p...

Im also training an Aggron and he is at level 48, but the defense stat is at 229 and it also stopped growing... does that mean that i already maxed out this stat, and now the only thing that i have to do is to train the pokemon up to lv 100 in order to get the full effect? or will i be able to keep training EV at level 100?... in case the 1st question is affirmative... I guess I can train all my team EVs at their current lower levels, and then just worry about leveling up to 100 right?

thanks again for the help

Correct! You can EV train a Pokemon in under 20 levels, once the stats are maxed out the Pokemon is done no matter what the level. once maxed you can train it how you want. Training it to level 100 or even 50 is just the easiest way to see if they where trained correctly as it shows their final stats.

The easiest way is via the following...
1. Breed a Pokemon with the nature & characteristic you want (starting at level 1 is the best way to ensure its done correctly).
2. Train it like you was saying previously, with a Macho Brace and fighting only the Pokemon you want EV's in.
3. Whilst training make sure your lower screen is on the Super training screen with your in-training Pokemon on the punching bag (don't use it though, just sit on that screen). The green bar on the far right shows its "EV training progression" when it fills up and hits the top you've maxed out that Pokemons stats (it could be at level 18 it could be at level 80 it dose not matter). The pie chart like thing shows where them stats have been invested.
4. Now you are free to train it as you like to level 100 so you can see its final stat totals. You can also stop and compare its stats at level 50, as for the most part all you need to do its double it to get its final result.

Once that green bar is filled on the Super Training screen your Pokemon won't gain any new EV's, even if still holding a Macho Brace. So lets say you think its too slow, it won't get faster by continuously training in speed. The Pokemon's stats basically become locked at this point and just level up to a pre-determined level. Starting from level 1 gives you more control over this final outcome.

Hope that helps also.

Last edited:

Kitara

Obsessive Collector
In addition to MechaBulba's response, if you've finished the game and have access to the Battle Maison, it's worth it to get the power items. Each will add 4 EVs of a specific stat to the EVs earned through a battle. For example, a pokemon holding the Power Anklet and fighting a Zubat gets the 1 speed EV from the Zubat and 4 additional speed EVs from the item (5 total EVs per Zubat defeated). Fight a horde, and it's 25 EVs per horde. Put pokerus on the pokemon, and the EVs per zubat doubles AFTER the item EVs are added, for a total of 10 EVs per zubat, 50 EVs for a horde.

There are horde training guides out there for more info, but this is probably the fastest way to EV train, so ontaining the Power Items is worth it.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
What stats should I super train for sylveon? I have calm nature...

Calm isn't a bad nature for Sylveon, but it normally runs Bold to make up for its not-so-stellar Defense stat. If you have a Calm one, it will probably work best as a wall or a Wish passer, with 252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp.Def. You could also try 252 HP/252 SpDef/4 Def, but I don't think that will work as well because one physical attack on Sylveon with those EVs will take it out.

BrianOnLineID

I was just coming here to ask about what spread was good for a calm Sylveon. Thank you! What moves should it have? Mine has protect, draining kiss, light screen and psyshock.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
I was just coming here to ask about what spread was good for a calm Sylveon. Thank you! What moves should it have? Mine has protect, draining kiss, light screen and psyshock.

If you're going for a Wall and your Sylveon has Wish (Egg move - it can be relearned now from the Move Relearner if your Sylveon forgot it) then I would use Wish/Protect/Moonblast/Baton Pass. If you don't have Wish, you could do you should probably go for 252 HP/ 252 SpAtk/4 Def and use Calm Mind/Moonblast/Shadow Ball/Toxic. Psyshock is also a very good move, becuase it uses SpAtk but hits physically, and could be used instead of Shadow Ball. Almost every Sylveon should run Moonblast instead of Draining Kiss because it is a better move. Draining Kiss does give you HP back, but it doesn't hit hard enough to help you. Light Screen isn't very good for Sylveon because it doesn't have Reflect. Leave the screen-setting to a Pokemon better suited to that, such as Klefki.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
So, um, I was just wondering what a good spread would be for a Hasty Roserade with Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, Shadow Ball, and Dazzling Gleam.

Cuthrout

So, um, I was just wondering what a good spread would be for a Hasty Roserade with Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, Shadow Ball, and Dazzling Gleam.

Generally, you run, 252 speed and 252 special attack EV's on a roserade. choice specs or sash?

-Espada-

Can someone answer 1 questions for me.

Does the Destiny Knot pass down 5 IVs from on parent or 5 IVs from both parents?

Status
Not open for further replies.