• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Super Training/EV/IV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuthrout

Can someone answer 1 questions for me.

Does the Destiny Knot pass down 5 IVs from on parent or 5 IVs from both parents?

The Destiny Knot passes down 5 IV's selected from both parents, so it could be all 5 from the male or maybe 2 from the male and 3 from female. that is random.

Kitara

Obsessive Collector
If you're going for a Wall and your Sylveon has Wish (Egg move - it can be relearned now from the Move Relearner if your Sylveon forgot it) then I would use Wish/Protect/Moonblast/Baton Pass. If you don't have Wish, you could do you should probably go for 252 HP/ 252 SpAtk/4 Def and use Calm Mind/Moonblast/Shadow Ball/Toxic. Psyshock is also a very good move, becuase it uses SpAtk but hits physically, and could be used instead of Shadow Ball. Almost every Sylveon should run Moonblast instead of Draining Kiss because it is a better move. Draining Kiss does give you HP back, but it doesn't hit hard enough to help you. Light Screen isn't very good for Sylveon because it doesn't have Reflect. Leave the screen-setting to a Pokemon better suited to that, such as Klefki.
Quick note, Sylveon can learn Reflect through TM33.

BrianOnLineID

Thank you varanus_komodoensis and Kitara! I have a goodra and rotom-w for defecne on my team , but only sylveon has any moves to help out the team. I will try out those sets on showdown!

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*
The Destiny Knot passes down 5 IV's selected from both parents, so it could be all 5 from the male or maybe 2 from the male and 3 from female. that is random.

No wonder why I'm having so many problems! I'm only using one Pokémon with 5IVs with another with 2-3 IVs.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.

Cuthrout

No wonder why I'm having so many problems! I'm only using one Pokémon with 5IVs with another with 2-3 IVs.

Breeding rotom can be a pain, I was lucky enough to get a 5 IV Rotom using a 3 IV ditto and a 4 IV Rotom, so it is a lot of luck :/

K, thanks. It's Specced.

Your welcome, Yeah I was hoping to get a shiny Roserade but going for timid nature.

NightShadow

Okay, so in Hoard battling is it okay to let my level 1 Pokemon level up through the experience? I'm training in attack by battling a bunch of Weepinbell that gives 2 attack EVs. However, because they are on route 19 they are levels 24, and my Sandslash gives a boosted experience. So it gains 3,510 exp while the Pokemon I'm leveling gets 50% through exp share. Does this effect the stats? Because I haven't maxed out the attack Stat, will letting it level up without the extra stats be a problem? or should I switch to Bellsprout who gives less exp?

Quick question short, should I try to keep my EV training Pokemon at a low level so I can gain extra levels when they are maxed out or should I let my Pokemon level up even though they aren't maxed out.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Okay, so in Hoard battling is it okay to let my level 1 Pokemon level up through the experience? I'm training in attack by battling a bunch of Weepinbell that gives 2 attack EVs. However, because they are on route 19 they are levels 24, and my Sandslash gives a boosted experience. So it gains 3,510 exp while the Pokemon I'm leveling gets 50% through exp share. Does this effect the stats? Because I haven't maxed out the attack Stat, will letting it level up without the extra stats be a problem? or should I switch to Bellsprout who gives less exp?

Quick question short, should I try to keep my EV training Pokemon at a low level so I can gain extra levels when they are maxed out or should I let my Pokemon level up even though they aren't maxed out.

Exp. has no bearing on EV gain; so long as you're getting the proper EVs, you can battle whatever you want.

NightShadow

Exp. has no bearing on EV gain; so long as you're getting the proper EVs, you can battle whatever you want.

I think I should explain more. I know if you max your EVs you can battle whoever you want, my question is should I allow my Pokemon who is in the MIDDLE of Ev training to level up?

For example.

I am training a Riolu in attack. I give him Pokerus and the Power Item and now go to a Hoard Battle. He is level 1 with no EVs or exp and I fight Weepinbell (2 Attack Evs) My Riolu than gets the EVs and also levels up about 10 levels. Everyone says to EV train at the lowest low level possible, the more times your Pokemon levels up with max Evs the better its stats will be. However, since my Riolu hasn't maxed his attack stat, he isn't gaining the extra stats as he would if I had Super Trained him to max his attack at level 1.

So if I had super trained him at level one, and than leveled him to level 10, would his stats be higher? or the same?

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
It doesn't matter what level you EV train it at, because Exp. has no bearing on EV gain. There will be a difference in stats at the level you're currently at, but if you're aiming for Level 100, it won't matter what level you gained your EVs at once you get there. The only difference between Super Training at Lv. 1 and Super Training at Lv. 99 is that if you Super Train at Lv. 99, your Pokemon will go through 98 levels of not being EV trained. That's the only difference.

If you're getting your levels from things that give the EVs you need, there's nothing to worry about.

NightShadow

It doesn't matter what level you EV train it at, because Exp. has no bearing on EV gain. There will be a difference in stats at the level you're currently at, but if you're aiming for Level 100, it won't matter what level you gained your EVs at once you get there. The only difference between Super Training at Lv. 1 and Super Training at Lv. 99 is that if you Super Train at Lv. 99, your Pokemon will go through 98 levels of not being EV trained. That's the only difference.

If you're getting your levels from things that give the EVs you need, there's nothing to worry about.

Okay, thank you so much. You really helped a lot, in the end I didn't need to worry about anything lol (I always EV train my perfect Pokemon once they hatch)

Jeikobu

主の子
I still am having trouble understanding IVs. I'll clarify this: I am not math-minded. I tried to understand the Serebii page on it and it was way beyond me. So I tried using the IV Calculator. There were parts of the page that did not make sense to me, but I did what I could. I just received my Hitokage from Prof. Purataanu in Miare City and want it to have good IVs because at this time I plan not to evolve it, but use the "Eviolite". I know it would be stronger if I evolved it, but I don't know that I want to lose it as a Hitokage.

So anyway, I took a screenshot of my results (mind you I had added no EVs), and from what I understand it didn't look very good, so I didn't save, and plan to try it again. Any tips to make this easier to do and understand? Since I don't plan to evolve him he needs good stats.

Cuthrout

I still am having trouble understanding IVs. I'll clarify this: I am not math-minded. I tried to understand the Serebii page on it and it was way beyond me. So I tried using the IV Calculator. There were parts of the page that did not make sense to me, but I did what I could. I just received my Hitokage from Prof. Purataanu in Miare City and want it to have good IVs because at this time I plan not to evolve it, but use the "Eviolite". I know it would be stronger if I evolved it, but I don't know that I want to lose it as a Hitokage.

So anyway, I took a screenshot of my results (mind you I had added no EVs), and from what I understand it didn't look very good, so I didn't save, and plan to try it again. Any tips to make this easier to do and understand? Since I don't plan to evolve him he needs good stats.

So you don't want to evolve Charmander? Just to let you know, you can breed in the future and get a better IV pokemon. The Sp.Att is great on it, did you input its Nature on the calculator?

Jeikobu

主の子
Yes. It was a Serious nature. If it had a great Special Attack, why did it just say "OK" on the results?

How does breeding get you better IVs?

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Yes. It was a Serious nature. If it had a great Special Attack, why did it just say "OK" on the results?

It says "OK!" enthusiastically. 30 is a fine SpA IV.

How does breeding get you better IVs?

The idea is that you use selective breeding, incest, and eugenics to try to pass on the good IVs from the parent Pokemon while ignoring the worse IVs. If you wanted to breed your Charmander, you'd probably want to find either a female Charmander or a Ditto with other flawless IVs, breed your Charmander with those, then check the IVs of the offspring to see how many flawless IVs they have.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Um, what's a desirable EV Spread for the following Pokémon?

Aurorus
Refridgerate
Relaxed
Charge Beam
Ice Beam
Dark Pulse
Ancient Power

Masquerain
Intimidate
Modest
Scald
Ice Beam
Bug Buzz
Air Slash

Malamar
Contrary
Timid
Superpower
Night Slash
Psycho Cut
Pluck

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Aurorus should be 252 HP/252 SpA/4 SpD for optimal bulk/power (and ought to run Nature Power->Tri Attack instead of Ice Beam for STAB). Malamar usually runs 32 HP/252 Atk/224 SpD, to hit a Leftovers number with HP while relying on Superpower for physical Defense. Masquerain should probably just go 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe and be done with it.

though Masquerain w/o Sticky Web, really, that's like its main thing

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Aurorus should be 252 HP/252 SpA/4 SpD for optimal bulk/power (and ought to run Nature Power->Tri Attack instead of Ice Beam for STAB). Malamar usually runs 32 HP/252 Atk/224 SpD, to hit a Leftovers number with HP while relying on Superpower for physical Defense. Masquerain should probably just go 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe and be done with it.

though Masquerain w/o Sticky Web, really, that's like its main thing

Nature Power, Tri-Attack and Ice Beam... What?
Alrighty, then.

Masquerain Evolved before learning Sticky Web, and it's just a random thing.
If I were to want to use Sticky Web outside LC, I'd just use Galvantula, who is superior in almost every way.

Cuthrout

It says "OK!" enthusiastically. 30 is a fine SpA IV.

The idea is that you use selective breeding, incest, and eugenics to try to pass on the good IVs from the parent Pokemon while ignoring the worse IVs. If you wanted to breed your Charmander, you'd probably want to find either a female Charmander or a Ditto with other flawless IVs, breed your Charmander with those, then check the IVs of the offspring to see how many flawless IVs they have.

I love how you put it bluntly ;) funny thing is that its true.

Ryohei

Shiny Hunter
Do you have to maximise the wanted evs of a pokemon as fast as you can? Cause my pokemon keep on getting evs in certain stats that i dont want it to have.. If i leave it, it will maximise all its potential uncontrolably and i wont be able to train it further (without reset bags which i have never gotten) :(

Status
Not open for further replies.