• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Super Training/EV/IV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djayrich

Is there anyone who can help me with dittos please ? :(

Bluemage21

I am guessing this question would go here. Is there any special trick that can help get the Fancy pattern Vivillion with a decent natures and IV's?

Ok azumarill is fully EV trained, and now I am going to level him up to level 50 (for play rough) So as long as he is fully EV trained he won't gain any more EVs right?

correct, as long as he/she has all 510 EV's, pokemon Azumarill faints will have no effect on its stats.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Is there anyone who can help me with dittos please ? :(

What do you need help with?

I am guessing this question would go here. Is there any special trick that can help get the Fancy pattern Vivillion with a decent natures and IV's?

Unfortunately, no. All you can do is soft reset for ages until you get the nature and IVs you want. You can use the Ability Capsule if you get the wrong ability, which is something.

I am confused...
Are perfect IV Pokemon supposed to hatch with 30 or 31 in the flawless stat(s)?

Pilpulp

美的
Got 2 perfect Rotoms so far, need one more, so I can have a Rotom-W Rest and Non-Rest set, as well as a Rotom-H. Then I might go for either Kangaskhan or Magikarp, they'll be much easier since they can breed with another pokemon of their species unlike Rotom...

Edit: Got my third

Last edited:

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
I am confused...
Are perfect IV Pokemon supposed to hatch with 30 or 31 in the flawless stat(s)?

It depends on what you're trying to do. A truly "flawless" Pokemon has 31s in all of its stats that matter. So for Alakazam, for example, 31/31/31/31/31/31 is flawless, but since Alakazam doesn't use its Attack stat, 31/x/31/31/31/31 is flawless as well. For Garchomp, 31/31/31/x/31/31 would be flawless because Garchomp doesn't use its Special Attack stat. However, if you're going for a certain Hidden Power, such as HP Ice, one of the several possible flawless spreads would be 31/E/30/31/31/31, where "E" is an even number, because Hidden Powers are determined by which stats are even and odd IVs.

MelonGerbil

Dragon Master
No this doesnt make sense.

How can you tell what number is in an unflawless stat? I thought it was either 31 or 0.

Also why 31?

Nothing makes sense

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
No this doesnt make sense.

How can you tell what number is in an unflawless stat? I thought it was either 31 or 0.

Also why 31?

Nothing makes sense

Every stat has an invisible number associated with it called an "Individual Value", or IV, for short. IVs range from 0-31, with 0 being the lowest and worst IV and 31 being the highest. The purpose of the IV is to raise each Pokemon's stat at level 100 by the number of points equal to the IV. (IVs also make a difference at all other levels as well). This makes each Pokemon slightly different in terms of its stats, so each Pokemon is an individual. However, competitively, having a flawless Pokemon will give you a strong edge over your opponents, which is why people want flawless Pokemon.

The IV Judge in Kiloude City will tell you if your Pokemon's IVs in each stat are 31 or if they are 0. If they are in between 0 and 31, you will need to use an online IV calculator to determine what they are.

Hey I'm kinda new to trying to breed for flawless pokemon. Does the Judge in Kiloude City tell you if all of your pokemon's stats are flawless or only a few of them? Or do I need to use some kind of IV calculator?

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Hey I'm kinda new to trying to breed for flawless pokemon. Does the Judge in Kiloude City tell you if all of your pokemon's stats are flawless or only a few of them? Or do I need to use some kind of IV calculator?

The judge in Kiloude City will tell you which of your Pokemon's IVs are flawless and which are 0. He will list all of them by name. If he says that a stat "can't be beat", then it is 31. If he says something to the effect of "but how can you make it through a battle with that kind of SpDef stat?" then the IV is 0.

You will only need to use an IV calculator if you want to know a Pokemon's IVs that aren't 31 or 0. So for example, I have a shiny Latios that is 31/30/31/30/31/30. The IV judge only told me that HP, Def, and SpDef couldn't be beat. I had to use an IV calculator to find out that the other three stats were 30.

The judge in Kiloude City will tell you which of your Pokemon's IVs are flawless and which are 0. He will list all of them by name. If he says that a stat "can't be beat", then it is 31. If he says something to the effect of "but how can you make it through a battle with that kind of SpDef stat?" then the IV is 0.

You will only need to use an IV calculator if you want to know a Pokemon's IVs that aren't 31 or 0. So for example, I have a shiny Latios that is 31/30/31/30/31/30. The IV judge only told me that HP, Def, and SpDef couldn't be beat. I had to use an IV calculator to find out that the other three stats were 30.

Oh, ok. So I guess getting 31 in every stat would be a really slim chance then. Does this site have an IV calculator or are there better IV calculator's on other websites?

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Oh, ok. So I guess getting 31 in every stat would be a really slim chance then. Does this site have an IV calculator or are there better IV calculator's on other websites?

It's not a slim chance to get 5-6 IVs in every stat if you are breeding for them using the Destiny Knot. Very briefly, if you have a parent Pokemon with 5-6 IVs, give it the Destiny Knot and you will have a chance of passing down some of those IVs to the offspring. If you get an offspring Pokemon that has more IVs than its same-sex parent does, then replace the parent with the offspring and repeat. That's the short-and-sweet version of how to IV breed. If you want more detail on how to do it, I'd be happy to write up a guide for you.

The fastest and easiest way to IV breed is to obtain a 6IV Ditto, since Ditto breeds with the vast majority of Pokemon, and with Ditto, you can put any gender Pokemon in as its partner. A foreign Ditto is even better because then you can do the Masuda Method for shinies and IV breed at the same time.

Serebii has an IV calculator here that most people swear by, but I prefer to use Metalkid's IV Calculator.

It depends on what you're trying to do. A truly "flawless" Pokemon has 31s in all of its stats that matter. So for Alakazam, for example, 31/31/31/31/31/31 is flawless, but since Alakazam doesn't use its Attack stat, 31/x/31/31/31/31 is flawless as well. For Garchomp, 31/31/31/x/31/31 would be flawless because Garchomp doesn't use its Special Attack stat. However, if you're going for a certain Hidden Power, such as HP Ice, one of the several possible flawless spreads would be 31/E/30/31/31/31, where "E" is an even number, because Hidden Powers are determined by which stats are even and odd IVs.

Okay I think I understand now. I thought the offspring of flawless IV parents were supposed to hatch with a base stat of 31.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Okay I think I understand now. I thought the offspring of flawless IV parents were supposed to hatch with a base stat of 31.

I think you are getting your terminology mixed up. Base stats, stats, and IVs are all different terminology that refer to different things. Base stats are the general outline of how powerful a Pokemon is in each stat. Base stats basically say "Skarmory has high Defense but low Speed", so a Skarmory's Defense stat will be high, but its Speed stat will be low. Skarmory has a base stat in Defense of 140, but a base stat in Speed of 70. These numbers are obviously not the numbers that a Skarmory hatches with at level 1, but they are reflected in that it could hatch with stats of 6/5/7/5/5/4 or something like that. Stats are the actual numerical values associated with HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed. IVs are the individual values associated with each stat that make each Pokemon unique. For example, if I have a Gible with an IV of 12 in Attack, and you have a Gible with an IV of 31 in Attack, and we both EV train our Gibles with 252 EVs in Attack and both of our Gibles have the same nature, then your Gible will have 18 more points in Attack at level 100 than mine will.

Pokemon that have an IV of 31 in a stat rarely express that difference compared to a Pokemon with lower IVs in the same stat at level 1. The difference will begin to manifest around level 30ish, and it makes a difference at these higher levels. You cannot tell what a Pokemon's IVs are at level 1 without visiting the IV judge in Kiloude City.

Last edited:
I think you are getting your terminology mixed up. Base stats, stats, and IVs are all different terminology that refer to different things. Base stats are the general outline of how powerful a Pokemon is in each stat. Base stats basically say "Skarmory has high Defense but low Speed", so a Skarmory's Defense stat will be high, but its Speed stat will be low. Stats are the actual numerical values associated with HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed. IVs are the individual values associated with each stat that make each Pokemon unique. For example, if I have a Gible with an IV of 12 in Attack, and you have a Gible with an IV of 31 in Attack, and we both EV train our Gibles with 252 EVs in Attack and both of our Gibles have the same nature, then your Gible will have 18 more points in Attack at level 100 than mine will.

Pokemon that have an IV of 31 in a stat rarely express that difference compared to a Pokemon with lower IVs in the same stat at level 1. The difference will begin to manifest around level 30ish, and it makes a difference at these higher levels. You cannot tell what a Pokemon's IVs are at level 1 without visiting the IV judge in Kiloude City.

Okay, yes, I did have the terms confused. Thanks for all the info! :)

kingferret53

A duel well fought..
Quick question, sorry if it sounds ridiculous.

Okay, breeding a 6iv emboar with a zero perfect pancham. Emboar holds everstone to transfer its nature
and pancham holds destiny knot.

So, why am I getting only pancham with 4 perfect ivs?

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Quick question, sorry if it sounds ridiculous.

Okay, breeding a 6iv emboar with a zero perfect pancham. Emboar holds everstone to transfer its nature
and pancham holds destiny knot.

So, why am I getting only pancham with 4 perfect ivs?

Did you say your Pancham has NO perfect IVs? If this is the case, you're lucky to be getting 4 IVs at all. The Destiny Knot transfers 5 IVs between the parents, so 5 out of the 12 IVs. You could get no IVs if the Destiny Knot chooses 5 IVs from the Pancham, or you could get 5 IVs from the Emboar. Or you could get any combination in between. When you get an offspring female Pancham that has more IVs than the parent, you need to switch it in so you have a greater chance of getting the IV spread you want.

kingferret53

A duel well fought..
Did you say your Pancham has NO perfect IVs? If this is the case, you're lucky to be getting 4 IVs at all. The Destiny Knot transfers 5 IVs between the parents, so 5 out of the 12 IVs. You could get no IVs if the Destiny Knot chooses 5 IVs from the Pancham, or you could get 5 IVs from the Emboar. Or you could get any combination in between. When you get an offspring female Pancham that has more IVs than the parent, you need to switch it in so you have a greater chance of getting the IV spread you want.

I tried that before with eevee and it didn't work. I've been playing pokemon since the beginning but I'm just now getting into iv breeding and its not fun. :mad: Beating other people is though, especially when they bring all legendaries then turn off their game when you beat all but one with one pokemon. Lol

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
I tried that before with eevee and it didn't work. I've been playing pokemon since the beginning but I'm just now getting into iv breeding and its not fun. :mad: Beating other people is though, especially when they bring all legendaries then turn off their game when you beat all but one with one pokemon. Lol

I'm not sure what you're saying isn't working. Explain in more detail what you have in the Day Care. Does Pancham have IVs of x/x/x/x/x/x? If so, you need to breed until you get a female Pancham with more than 0 IVs, and put it in for the Pancham that's currently in the Day Care. Then breed for one that has more IVs then that parent, etc., until you have a 4-5IV female Pancham in the Day Care with the 6 IV Emboar. Then breed for the spread you want.

And urgh I really hate when people ragequit because it's cowardly. If you don't want to finish the battle because you know you're going to lose, then take the noble way out and forfeit. Ragequitters are sore losers.

kingferret53

A duel well fought..
I'm not sure what you're saying isn't working. Explain in more detail what you have in the Day Care. Does Pancham have IVs of x/x/x/x/x/x? If so, you need to breed until you get a female Pancham with more than 0 IVs, and put it in for the Pancham that's currently in the Day Care. Then breed for one that has more IVs then that parent, etc., until you have a 4-5IV female Pancham in the Day Care with the 6 IV Emboar. Then breed for the spread you want.

And urgh I really hate when people ragequit because it's cowardly. If you don't want to finish the battle because you know you're going to lose, then take the noble way out and forfeit. Ragequitters are sore losers.

Before it was two eevee that, all together, had at least 8 perfect ivs and yet, never got one with the five I needed. For some odd reason.

Now I got a 6 perfect iv emboar holding everstone to transfer adamant breeding with a female pancham holding destiny knot and no perfect ivs.

Status
Not open for further replies.