• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Supernova

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Sorry for the wait, but I've been having so much fun with PMD Explorers of Time. Here's the next chapter.

Chapter XXVII: Hungry Carvanha

Kenny, Eli, and Duosion were being led across the wide ocean by Clair. At this point, there was no land in sight at all. Nothing but water was visible on the horizon. Occasionally, the group would see a small group of Wingull or Pelipper fly by or float in the water, but otherwise, the landscape was nothing but featureless ocean.

“Are you sure you know where you’re going?” called out Kenny.

“Yeah, totally!” Clair shouted back. “Just trust me on this!”

Without another word, the group continued forward on their water pokemon, with Duosion flying through the air behind them.

After a while of swimming through the nondescript ocean, a very faint feature was visible on the horizon. At first, it just looked like the smallest dark speck. However, as the group continued forward, it became more visible and revealed itself to be an island. The land was dark and a small amount of foliage was visible, as well as a couple buildings.

“Hey, that’s it!” Clair shouted excitedly. “I told you!”

Kenny and the group continued to follow Clair through the roaring ocean. As he rocketed through the blue water, Kenny saw a strange patch of rippling water beside him. It flew through the water and caught up straight to Kenny’s side. Gradually, something emerged from the water’s surface. It appeared to be a small blue and red fish with tall, yellow fins on top of its head. It glided through the water at impressive speeds and looked straight at Kenny with its blood-red eyes. Kenny’s pokedex started rumbling, so he took it out in response.

Before the pokedex could say anything, the fish sprang into action. In one swift movement, it dove underwater and immediately flew out of the ocean, flying straight toward Kenny. It grabbed the pokedex right out of Kenny’s hands with its enormous teeth and fell back in the water on the other side.

“Hey!” Kenny exclaimed in rage, “That thing just stole my pokedex!”

Kenny looked over toward Eli, who was also having trouble with these strange red fish. They were surrounding his Gastrodon and harassing it, keeping it from moving forward. Clair had also come to a stop, surrounded by fish. Soon enough, the fish started to surround Kenny and his Floatzel as well, forcing them to a standstill.

“Oh, poop,” Eli gasped. “These must be Carvanha. We had a ton of them back in Hoenn, but not this many at the same time… I heard they’re vicious and blood-thirsty. I think we’re doomed.”

“Don’t give up yet, guys!” Duosion happily encouraged.

“That’s easy for you to say,” Kenny grumbled. “You can just fly out of the way.”

“Now, hold on,” Duosion continued. “I can use my Telekinesis attack to lift them out of the water! Watch this!” Immediately, Duosion closed its eyes and a pink aura began to surround it. The pink aura also moved to all the Carvanha, which all became confused at this. They all looked up at Duosion, who was still concentrating. However, nothing was happening. Duosion lost his concentration and opened his eyes to see the pack of Carvanha staring at him.

“You dimwit,” Clair hissed, “Carvanha are dark-types. Psychic-type moves don’t work on them!”

Duosion lost all hope. “Oops, I forgot about that. You're doomed.”

The Carvanha all started licking their lips and closing in on the group, ready to bite off their skin. Kenny started praying to Arceus. Clair took out a small piece of paper from her backpack and started writing her will. Duosion warily flew upward, hoping to avoid the jaws of the Carvanha. Just as everyone was about to lose all hope…

“Salamence! Use Hyper Beam!”

A harsh white beam struck a small pack of Carvanha on the water, sending them flying in all directions. There was a great big splash as the entire group was thrown upwards by the wave. The beam then erupted into the water again, causing many Carvanha to swim away in fear. Within a few moments, all the Carvanha had evacuated the area, leaving the ocean completely desolate once more. Above the group’s heads, a massive blue dragon floated down towards them, flapping its blade-shaped red wings, causing the water below it to ripple. On the dragon’s back, a man was visible. He wore a fisherman’s outfit, complete with a long coat, pants with tall boots, and a captain’s hat. He wore no shirt underneath, allowing his chest to be visible.

“Are you all right?” he shouted from the back of his Salamence. “We have a big Carvanha problem at Coraline town, as you can see. Nobody has been able to set foot in the water.”

“I can see,” Kenny replied. “Who are you, anyway?”

“I’m Drake, of course!” the man said.

“Hold on a sec, did you say Drake?” gasped Eli incredulously. “I thought you worked in Hoenn? In the Elite Four?”

Drake chuckled. “Yeah, but I recently moved to Fushi. Now, I’m working here as a Gym Leader. I’m hoping to become a member of the Elite Four here eventually.”

“That is so freaking cool,” Eli said in amazement. He whispered over to Kenny, “Drake was my childhood idol when we lived in Hoenn. I can’t believe we’re finally meeting him!”

“That’s great, Eli,” Kenny flatly said. “So, Drake, what brings you to Coraline town? Are you the gym leader here?”

“Oh, no,” Drake affirmed. “I was just called over to help out with the Carvanha problem.”

“In that case, maybe we can help!” Kenny offered. “Let’s go to Coraline!”

“All right, then, see you there!” Drake’s Salamence flapped its wings and turned around, then flew at incredible speed toward Coraline town.

“Well, let’s hurry up and go!” Kenny’s Floatzel started swimming ahead. Clair and Eli continued forward on their pokemon, with Duosion floating behind.

~~~~

The ground was very hard and rocky. There was relatively no soil, just volcanic rock. However, many buildings were built on the small rocky island that protruded from the sea. There were a few houses and a pokemon center visible on the land, but not much else. Schools of Carvanha circled around the water surrounding the island.

When Kenny, Eli, Clair, and Duosion finally got to shore, Drake was standing there waiting for them. With him was a girl who had long, light-blue hair and wore a white and blue outfit.

Once everyone was on land, they returned their surfing pokemon. However, before Kenny could return Floatzel, it dove into the ocean and swam away.

“What the flesh?” Kenny said in surprise. “Did my Floatzel just run away?”

“I don’t know, that’s kind of weird,” Eli pondered.

“Well,” Drake started, “I’m glad to see that you made it here safely.” He motioned toward the girl standing next to him. “Have you met Pola yet? She’s the gym leader in this town, and I’ve been helping her out with her Carvanha problem.”

“It’s horrible,” Pola explained. “None of the people can go in the water, so nobody can leave or enter the town. You guys are lucky you made it here alive.”

“Well, we have to face near-death experiences all the time…” said Kenny in a slightly lower voice than usual. “It was clearly no problem for us.”

“I see,” Pola smiled sarcastically. “Well, since you’re already here, you may as well enjoy your time. You’re probably going to be staying here until we find a way to take care of our Carvanha problem.”

“And hey, I know the perfect way to enjoy our time here!” Kenny added. “We can win that gym badge that we were looking forward to!”

“What, you really think you can win against me?” scoffed Pola. “Please. We’ve clearly got bigger problems on our hands anyway.”

“Oh, come on!” whined Kenny. “Just one short gym battle won’t hurt, will it?”

Pola sighed deeply. “Fine,” she finally replied. “But don’t expect to beat me easily.” She started walking off and everybody followed. Past the rocky shores of the island, the terrain became much less harsh. There was grass growing all over the ground on the island, much like the rest of the region. Paved walkways were all over the place, connecting houses and other miscellaneous buildings.

Everyone followed Pola to a yellow-roofed building similar to many of the other pokemon gyms in the region. This building sat near the shore where a stunning view of the ocean could be seen, broken only by the unnatural swarms of Carvanha hungrily patrolling the water.

“Well, here’s my gym,” Pola announced to the group. “Let’s go inside and get this over with.”

“I guess I better leave you guys to it,” said Drake, patting Kenny and Eli on their backs. “Good luck.”

Pola and Drake were both about to walk away when Kenny looked over at the beautiful view of the glistening ocean sparkling off in the distance. A small swarm of Carvanha caught his eye as they started diving into the water and gnashing their teeth wildly. Kenny saw a small red lump sitting on the surface, staining the ocean around it with a dark red hue. Carvanha were chomping madly at this mysterious object.

“Whoa, check it out!” Kenny called out, pointing at the strange red lump floating on the surface of the sea. Drake turned around and shielded his eyes from the sun, gazing out at the mysterious object. Pola simply sighed in exasperation.

“What the…” Drake said incredulously. “Is that chum? It is! Somebody’s been chumming the water! That’s why there are so many Carvanha! Those things can smell meat from a mile away!”

“Oh, God,” Pola sighed, “So that’s the solution to our problem? Let’s go check it out.” Pola walked swiftly around the corner of her gym building and everybody followed. Once they all turned the corner, two men wearing black trench coats were visible standing at the shore behind the gym. Each one held a white bucket in one hand, and with the other hand they pulled out large lumps of bloodstained meat with a gloved hand and tossed them out into the water with a swarm of Carvanha in hot pursuit.

“Oh, man, we don’t get paid enough for this job,” one man sighed, cringing.

The other one whined, “I know, this stuff stinks! But we got to follow the boss’s orders if we want our paycheck, right?”

Kenny, completely fed up with Team Nova, pushed his way through the group and marched right over to these men. “Hey, guys, play time’s over,” he said with authority. “Time for you to leave RIGHT NOW!”

“What the heck is your problem, kid?” said one of the grunts gruffly. “We’re not going anywhere. This is what we’re paid to do.”

At this point, Kenny was annoyed that the grunt wasn’t listening to his commands. He thrust out his hand and swiped the chum bucket from the grunt. “I’ll take that,” he said.

“What’s your problem? Give me that!” The grunt fought back by stealing the bucket again. He then put his hand on Kenny’s back and pushed with all his might, casting Kenny’s body into the water below. He fell with a splash, and being the good swimmer that he is, immediately started heading back to shore. However, the Carvanha in the water saw him fall and were not about to miss out on a fresh meal. The fish all started swarming Kenny, blocking his path to shore.

“Oh my God…” Clair cried and looked away. Kenny’s body in the water was completely surrounded by Carvanha now.

Thinking fast, Drake pulled one of his poke balls out of his coat pocket. “Salamence, Dragon Claw, now!” he shouted as he threw the ball. The poke ball opened up in mid-air, revealing the massive blue dragon known as Salamence. Its claws became cloaked in a red and blue glow. Salamence then swung its glowing claw down at the Carvanha, striking some of them away and causing the rest to immediately disperse. Salamence then struck the Nova grunts with the attack, forcing them to scramble to their feet and run away from the scene. Kenny’s body was left facing down, floating on the water.

“Salamence, go pick him up!” Without hesitation, Salamence heeded its trainer’s orders and fell into the water below with a great big splash, hoisting Kenny onto its back. It then climbed back onto shore, holding Kenny. Drake looked terrified, yet still managed to keep his cool. “We’re getting him to the hospital, pronto. Come on, everybody, let’s move!” Drake started running forward across the island, followed closely by Salamence. The rest of the group ran behind.

“I guess we’re not having that gym battle today after all,” Pola commented between breaths.

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
Wow! Great chapter! You used suspense really well at the end, and the characters' reactions were very well written. I can defiantly understand the whole PMD issue, as I have that game too. I really don't have much to say outside of that, but I can't wait to see what you have planned for next time!

-TA

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Thanks for the feedback. The part where Kenny gets injured by the Carvanha was partially inspired by this picture:

http://assets.head-fi.org/d/da/1000x500px-LL-da25e412_that-post-gave-me-cancer.jpg

Looking past the text, laugh at me if you will, but I actually thought this picture looked sad. Any of us who have been injured and put in the hospital before know that it's not fun at all. Seeing somebody (Spiderman, in this case) who was once a great person in such a helpless and painful position is not fun at all, even for the viewers. Anybody who's known a loved one who was hospitalized understands this too. It really makes me wonder what happened to Spiderman to put him in that position, how he felt, how others felt, et cetera. I looked at this picture for a while and thought it was really sad. I was almost brought to tears by it, to be honest. In fact, I'm honestly almost crying just writing this. I wanted to somehow represent this feeling in my fiction, since it was such a strong emotion for me. The next chapter will try and portray some of the emotions I felt when looking at this picture. I certainly hope you feel it when I release the next chapter, because I'm going to be feeling it the whole time I'm writing.

And to think all this inspiration came from a picture meant to be used to respond to an unsavory post on a forum. They really shouldn't be poking fun at a serious disease like cancer like that. Oh God, I think all those Ralts that I caught over the years in Ruby are using their emotion powers on me.

Vali

King of Beets
Great story so far! My favorite chapter was the tournament, especially with Miror B. Can you add me to the PM list?

DarknessInZero

<- Es mío! MÍO!
Hi, Gelo. I'm DiZ, the forum didn't allowed me to put my name as DiZ.

Can you add me to the PM list?
BTW, great fic, the suspense is killing me.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
I haven't given up on this yet. Due to Hurricane Irene and school starting, I've had a lot of setbacks, but I'm trying to get back in the writing move. I already have the next chapter planned out, I just haven't had the motivation to write it. Here are some spoilers for the next chapter:

- Kenny's pokedex
- Gym battle
- Team Nova

That's all I'm saying.

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
Glad to here it! I can't wait to see what you've got, as I'm rarely disappointed by this fic!

DarknessInZero

<- Es mío! MÍO!
Gotcha! Floatzel go to retrieve Kenny's Pokédex!

Um, better not to spoil. I WANNA READ!

Duosion rocks. Is my favourite Pokémon.

DarknessInZero

<- Es mío! MÍO!
Please. Post it before I kill someone.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
^ No need to be rude.

Anyway, here comes a long one. I think it more than makes up for the time I spent. I also updated the OP with the known abilities of all pokemon on the teams. Some of them are left blank because we don't know what the ability is yet. Also edited the chapter list in the OP so that they link to the post in the thread instead of a single post, making it easier to navigate the thread.

Chapter XXVIII: Wrath of Pola

The immaculate hospital room provided a stunning view of the ocean sunset through its lone window. Kenny was lucky to get a room with a window, despite being completely unconscious. Clair thought about how helpless he looked, sitting face-up in the hospital bed with closed eyes. The last thing he probably remembered was being torn apart by the relentless Carvanha, who didn’t even spare the thought of what happened to the child that they mauled. The smallest tear ran down Clair’s face. She was usually ashamed to show her stronger emotions, so she kept it all pent up, seeming to form a lump in her throat which throbbed inside her. Eli simply looked on with his usual neutral appearance. His deep thoughts were obscured by his expression. Duosion, floating in the air beside the two, decided that this wasn’t the time to say anything. It kept its mouth shut. Everyone simply looked on at the unmoving figure of the injured, helpless boy sitting before them.

A woman in a long, white coat stepped through the door of the hospital room. She adjusted her reading glasses, carefully scanning the clipboard held in front of her. Everyone in the room averted their gaze to look at the doctor coming in. She stepped over to the other side of Kenny’s bed. Nobody said anything.

Breaking the awkward silence, she said, “Well, there’s no sign of infection, so that’s definitely good news. Kenny lost quite a lot of blood, however, so we’ll have to monitor him for some time. Once he becomes completely conscious, we can transfer him to the hospital in Monopolis. They have a lot better facilities there.”

Clair finally mustered up the courage to ask a question in a distorted voice. “Will he be okay?”

“I think he’ll be fine,” the doctor replied, “But it’ll take some time for him to recover. He’ll have to stay in the hospital while he recuperates. We have to be very careful to check for infection, too. We have to monitor him very carefully, but as long as we do, he’ll completely recover eventually.”

“When?” pressed Clair.

The doctor tapped her clipboard in deep thought. “Well, it’s hard to say. If we’re lucky, he could potentially be better in less than a week. If not, it could take months.”

Clair put her hands over her face. Eli continued using his blank expression to mask his true thoughts.

“Visiting hours will be over soon, so you guys better leave whenever you’re ready. I’ll leave you to say goodbye for now.” With that, the doctor left the room, leaving Clair, Eli, and Duosion in the room by themselves with Kenny.

A few brief moments of silence ensued. Clair then looked around the room and walked over to a desk. On the desk, there was a bin containing Kenny’s clothes and his backpack. Clair reached down for Kenny’s pants and held up the side of his belt, which held all six of his poke balls. Eli saw what she was doing and came over to help. Clair took off one of the golden poke balls and pressed the button on the front, opening it up. Trapinch emerged, sitting on Kenny’s bed. It made itself comfortable and sat down at Kenny’s feet. Eli then opened a poke ball, this one containing Rotom. Rotom flew out and concealed itself inside Kenny’s electric bed, adjusting it to a comfortable position. Eli opened another poke ball in his other hand and out came Primeape. It climbed up on Kenny’s bed and sat near his feet with Trapinch. Clair held the other gold poke ball, but had second thoughts and decided to put the ball back on Kenny’s belt.

With all of Kenny’s pokemon (except Gyarados and Floatzel, for obvious reasons) comfortably out in his room, Clair, Eli, and Duosion quietly left the room and allowed everyone to rest.

~~~~

The great big yellow-roofed building loomed in front of Clair, Eli, and Duosion. On the front was a blank wall which concealed the inner workings of the gym. A plain glass door provided the sole entrance.

“So, this is the local gym?” Eli mused. He looked over to Clair. “Are you sure Kenny would want us to challenge this gym without him?”

“Oh, don’t worry,” responded Clair, getting over her feeling of grief. “Do you really think Kenny would want us to just sit around here and do nothing when there’s work to be done?”

“Well, if it means he gets to take part in a gym battle, then yeah.”

Clair took on a blank expression. “Oh, quiet, Peach Cake.” She confidently strode up to the door and pushed it open, with Eli and Duosion in tow.

Inside the gym, everyone gawked at the vast expanse of space below them. Below the balcony that they were standing on, a huge room stretched out in front of them riddled with steel elevators of all sorts. Everything inside was made of metal. However, the air was frigid enough to send a chill down Duosion’s spineless body. Crystals of ice floated through the air like snow. Massive icicles were growing on the ceilings and floors of the room, coating the floors with slippery ice.

Eli started rubbing his hands together and huddling his body. “Brrrr… I have a feeling that this is an ice gym…”

“You’re p-p-probably right…” Clair concurred, her teeth chattering.

Duosion commented, “Come on, it’s not that bad. None of this ice better get in my cytoplasm, though.”

Eli and Clair glared at Duosion. “What’s up with you and your cytoplasm anyway?” Clair hissed.

“I don’t like it getting dirty. Is there something wrong with that?” Duosion crossed its stubby arms.

“W-w-whatever,” Clair stuttered. “If we take the time to get through this sub-zero maze, we’ll be frozen by the time we’re done. Can’t you levitate us down to the bottom?”

“No way,” refused Duosion. “You guys are too fat. I’ll pull a brain muscle or something.”

Did you just call me fat?” Clair roared.

“No.”

Clair grunted loudly, and then quickly regained her composure. “All right, let’s try getting through this maze.” Clair led the way across a metal walkway adjacent to the wall. Before she could get very far, however, Clair fell right on her bottom without warning.

“Ow!” she exclaimed, rubbing her bruised posterior. “What the heck?”

“The floors here are covered in ice,” observed Duosion. “Here, let me help you out.” Duosion closed its eyes and started concentrating hard. Suddenly, a sheet of ice on the floor slid out from under Clair and flew up into the air. With a grunt of effort, Duosion used its telekinesis to fling the ice into the middle of the gym. It fell for a while before it shattered on the floor far below them.

“Well, thanks,” Clair reluctantly said. “Now, let’s hurry up and go.” With that, the group continued forward.

They soon realized that the maze was rather straightforward. When they all got on one of the elevators and pressed the button to make it go down, it traveled down to another metal walkway. These walkways spiraled around the walls of the massive underground gym, simply leading to more elevators.

Eventually, they found an elevator that went all the way to the floor of the gym. It would have been nice for the group to feel the ground beneath their feet, if it wasn’t frozen solid. The entire floor that made up the bottom of this massive dungeon was encased in a thick layer of ice, providing practically no traction. However, an opening was visible at the other end of the room, across the ice-ridden floor.

“C-c-crap,” complained Clair. “How are we supposed to walk across this? My nose feels like it’s about to fall off any second…”

Eli thought about it for a second. He looked over at Duosion and asked, “Hey, Duosion, can you pull us across the ice? It’s not like you have to walk or anything.”

“No way!” Duosion retorted with a snort. “Your hands are covered in germs. You’ll get pathogens in my-“

“I know, I know, your cytoplasm.”

Eli formulated a plan in his head, but was afraid that Clair wouldn’t like it. He went ahead while she wasn’t paying attention. While Clair was making futile attempts to keep herself warm, Eli firmly planted both of his hands on her back and pushed with all his might.

“EEK!” Clair shrieked and fell on her butt again. She slid across the ice gracefully and approached the opening at the other end of the room. She lightly bumped against the cold metal wall. Recovering from her state of shock, she screamed, “THAT WASN’T NICE, PEACH CAKE!”

“It’s the only way we could get across!” responded Eli sheepishly. He glanced over at Duosion. “Now, Duosion, do you think you can push me across the ice with your telekinesis?”

“Sure thing!” Duosion excitedly agreed. Quickly, Eli was enveloped in a pink glow and his whole body was flung onto the floor with great force. Sliding head-first on his back, he approached the other end of the room. He violently bumped his head on the wall next to Clair when he reached the wall.

“Well, that’s what you get,” Clair pouted.

When Duosion levitated over across the ice, Eli complained, “Jeez, you didn’t need to do it so hard…”

“Sorry,” Duosion apologized with clear sarcasm.

Clair and Eli shakily got to their feet on the frictionless ice and inched over to the door. When they stepped through, there was no longer any ice on the floor, which relieved everyone. This final room had the lines of a pokemon battle arena painted on the floor. On the other end, the familiar figure of Pola stood in front of a strange white pokemon which was juggling balls of ice in its hands. Eli’s pokedex indicated that this was a new pokemon by vibrating. He took out the pokedex and examined it.

“Froslass, the snow land pokemon. It is said to be the spirit of a woman who was lost on a snowy mountain. It uses its frigid breath to freeze its enemies solid and display their carcasses like trophies.”

“That’s super creepy,” Eli commented.

Pola looked over at the other end of the gym, having heard Eli’s comment. “Oh, it’s you,” Pola said flatly. “I guess you made it through my gym.”

“Yeah, but it wasn’t very fun,” Clair replied.

“How come?”

“It was way too cold.”

Pola looked puzzled. “Really? I didn’t think it was that bad…”

Eli looked at Pola. “How could you NOT think that it’s cold in here?”

Pola shrugged. “I don’t know, I guess I’m just used to it.” Indeed, Pola was wearing shorts and a short-sleeved shirt, and didn’t show the slightest sign of discomfort.

“Whatever, weirdo,” Clair scoffed. “Are you ready to battle or what?”

“Sure thing!” Pola motioned over toward her Froslass, which put down its balls of ice and stepped forward onto the battle arena. “Now, there are two of you, so we’re doing a double battle, okay? You each use two pokemon and I use four of mine.”

“Hey, hold on,” Clair interrupted before the battle started, “Do you think we can get a badge for Kenny if we win the battle? You know, he can’t really fight right now…”

Pola’s face contorted into a scornful look. “I guess I shouldn’t exclude Kenny just because he’s injured…” she grumbled. “All right, fine. Just because I know you won’t win anyway. But in that case, I get to use all six of my pokemon and you can use three each of yours. Good?”

“Fine,” confirmed Clair. “Now, let’s get started.”

“Good idea.” Pola grabbed a poke ball out of her shirt pocket and threw it out into the battlefield. “Snover, I choose you!” Before everyone, a short white and brown pokemon stepped onto the floor. The part above its eyes was shaped like a hat. The end of each long arm was green and had spikes arranged somewhat like fingers. Its feet resembled tree roots. Eli immediately grasped his pokedex and held it out toward the pokemon in hopes of learning more about this strange beast.

“Snover, the frosted tree pokemon. It makes its home on snowy mountain peaks. Because they have had little interaction with humans, they are very curious in nature.”

Just as Eli’s pokedex finished its explanation, he felt a hard object fall on his head. He looked up, covering his eyes from any further projectiles, and saw a couple pieces of solid ice raining down from seemingly nowhere. The precipitation grew heavier until everybody’s heads were being pummeled with massive amounts of ice.

“Ow, what the flesh?” Eli exclaimed.

Pola grinned and explained, “That would be Snover’s ability, Snow Warning. It can summon hail storms at will. The hail causes damage to other people’s pokemon, but not mine!” Indeed, Snover seemed to be immune to the effects of the falling ice. Froslass simply remained indifferent, staring down the other side of the battlefield. “Now, when are we going to see your pokemon?”

Clair, clearly annoyed by the bad weather and Pola's irritating attitude, took out one of the poke balls off her belt. She flung it out and shouted a little louder than normal so as to overcome the sound of hail pelting the floor, “Jigglypuff, let’s go!” After a brief burst of light from the poke ball, Jigglypuff emerged onto the floor, still wearing its signature white hat. However, it showed some discomfort at the chunks of ice raining down on its head. It covered its favorite hat with its stubby arms.

Eli reached down for his belt, presumably preparing to send out his Quilava to combat the ice-types. However, before he could, he was interrupted by Duosion’s complaints. “Aww, man, all this stupid hail is getting in my cytoplasm!” Eli saw that the green jelly surrounding Duosion’s body was filled with small circular pieces of ice. “I’m getting rid of this!” declared Duosion. It started to grunt loudly and concentrated hard. The chunks of ice gradually started to move away from Duosion’s body and left the green jelly, clattering onto the floor beneath it.

“Hey, Duosion!” Eli exclaimed. Duosion looked over. “You don’t seem to be hurt by the hail.”

“Yeah, yeah…” Duosion grumbled, “That’s because of my Magic Guard ability. It keeps me from taking any damage that isn’t an attack, like this hail. But it’s still annoying…”

“Why don’t you battle for me?” Eli proposed. “You’ll be a valuable fighter since you’re immune to the hail.”

Duosion sighed loudly. “Fine. But I won’t like it!” With that, Duosion floated over in front of Eli and took its battle position along with Clair's pokemon. Jigglypuff, elated at having a teammate, ran up to Duosion and extended its stubby arm for a high-five. Duosion retorted, "In your dreams, pinky." Jigglypuff dejectedly walked back over in front of Clair.

“All right, then, now that you have your pokemon, the battle officially starts!” shouted Pola enthusiastically. “Snover, use Ingrain! Froslass, use Icy Wind on these fools!”

Clair ordered, “Jigglypuff, use Rollout on Froslass!”

“Duosion-“

“That won’t be necessary,” Duosion interrupted. “I know my own attacks, thank you very much.”

Froslass seemed to move incredibly faster than it looked. It instantly flew forward and opened up its gaping mouth. Clouds of frigid, white air floated over to Jigglypuff and Duosion. Jigglypuff uncontrollably shivered at the touch of the attack. Duosion seemed to shiver a bit, but didn’t seem too fazed by the attack. “Is that all you got?” it teased. Froslass simply frowned at it and got back into position. After that, Snover didn’t execute an attack, but instead started extending its root-like legs. The roots somehow pierced the cold, hard floor and embedded Snover’s body in the ground. A yellow glow filled up the roots and Snover took on a comforted look.

“All right, watch this!” Duosion somehow cracked its fingerless knuckles and took on a pink aura. Purple orbs of energy appeared all around Froslass’s body, and then suddenly struck the ghost-type with great force. Froslass looked damaged by the attack, but was able to get back in its place.

“Nothing a little Psyshock attack can’t help,” commented Duosion proudly.

Finally, Jigglypuff started its attack. It grabbed the hat off its head and tossed it like a Frisbee over to Clair’s feet. It then tucked in its arms and legs, making itself into a nigh-perfect sphere. Jigglypuff spun in place for a while, building up speed until it whirled at a dizzying rate. All at once, it released its pent up energy and flung itself at the Froslass. However, Froslass’s unbelievable speed allowed it to deftly float out of the way, causing Jigglypuff to fly through the air and land on the floor. Despite the missed attack, Jigglypuff continued spinning on the floor.

“All right, Froslass, freeze that Jigglypuff with your Frost Breath attack! Snover, try Razor Leaf on the Duosion!”

“Jigglypuff, don’t stop! Destroy that Froslass!”

Froslass cackled madly as it opened its mouth, preparing a deadly blast of cold breath. However, it wasn’t watching the target; Jigglypuff increased its speed dramatically and rammed right into the unwary Froslass. The ghost-type let out a shrill cry as it was swiftly slammed straight into the ground. Jigglypuff performed an impressive maneuver, gliding in front of Clair and continuing to spin in place so as to keep up its momentum. Froslass, however, simply groaned weakly and let out a pitiful cloud of frigid air from its mouth.

“Grr…” growled Pola as she reluctantly recalled her fainted Froslass. “You’ll pay for that!”

However, the pokemon were not done duking it out. Snover summoned a bunch of leaves around it and started throwing them straight at Duosion like ninja blades. “Ow ow ow ow!” exclaimed Duosion as the leaves lodged themselves deep in its cytoplasm. “That hurt!” Duosion then grunted and forced all the leaves out of its body, causing them to float to the ground. “Let’s see how YOU like it!” Duosion then furiously concentrated and developed its usual pink glow. After a few seconds, it released its concentration. Snover, instead of being in pain, looked at Duosion curiously.

“Duosion!” complained Eli. “I thought you said you knew how to battle! That didn’t do anything!”

Duosion smiled smugly. “Juuuuuust wait.”

Now that all the pokemon were done attacking, Pola took another poke ball out of her pocket and threw it in the air. “Jynx, I choose you!”

Once the poke ball opened up, a pokemon even odder than Probopass appeared on the scene. Anyone not wearing their correctional lenses would have mistaken it for a human female on account of its long blonde hair and billowing red dress. However, upon closer inspection, the pokemon appeared to have wide eyes and purple skin as if it were frostbitten.

“Jynx, the humanshape pokemon. The noises it makes are sometimes mistaken for garbled human speech. It sways its hips rhythmically to hypnotize onlookers.”

“Whoa, that thing is freaky,” commented Eli. Jynx simply looked indifferent as it shook its hips in its mysterious dance.

“You’ll be eating those words!” Pola taunted. “Jynx, use your Ice Punch! Snover, destroy them with Avalanche!”

“Jigglypuff, hit Jynx with Rollout!”

“Duosion-“

“I TOLD you I know what I’m doing!” Duosion protested.

“It really doesn’t seem like it!” replied Eli.

Jigglypuff’s massive momentum allowed it to rocket forward at blinding speed. Jynx acted at a surprising speed, using telekinetic powers to gather shards of ice around its hand and construct a boxing glove-shaped weapon. Jigglypuff continued forward and jumped up in the air, continuing its spinning. Jynx prepared its icy fist and struck Jigglypuff head-on as it flew through the air, sending it off course. Still traveling at a massive speed, Jigglypuff continued shooting through the room and ran right into the ceiling, causing the whole room to shake. The sound of icicles shattering could be heard above them. Once gravity took over once more, Jigglypuff’s body slowly floated down from the considerable dent in the ceiling that it created. Its body became deflated and flat, making a sound like a whoopee cushion. It drifted down in front of Clair where it gracefully landed flat on the ground, completely unable to move any more.

Clair took Jigglypuff’s hat and put it on top of its deflated body, and then returned it to its poke ball. “You did well, Jigglypuff,” Clair muttered as her pokemon disappeared inside. She reached down to her belt and pulled out another of her poke balls. When she threw it up, she shouted, “Lunatone, I choose you!”

The stolid rock body of Lunatone emerged into the air where it floated motionlessly. Its rock-hard face couldn’t contort itself into an expression to give an intimation of its opinion, but it did look upwards to see all the bothersome hailstones that rained down on it.

On the other side of the field, Snover began building up a large amount of snow in front of it that didn’t seem to come from anywhere in particular, much like a Surf attack. However, Snover had slight difficulty in doing this since it was literally rooted in place, so Duosion took the opportunity to launch an attack of its own. “Eat this, tree sap!” it shouted at the opposing pokemon. Duosion enveloped itself in a pink glow as always, and a bunch of purple orbs appeared in the air around Snover. Much like its attack on Froslass, these spheres hurled themselves toward the victim to inflict damage. After regaining its composure, Snover was infuriated and it began to heave the massive pile of snow at Duosion.

“And now, for the grand finale!” proclaimed Duosion proudly. At first, Eli wasn’t sure what Duosion meant since it didn’t appear to be doing anything but looking at the opponent. However, Snover’s mountain of snow suddenly tumbled to the ground without warning. Snover held its head in agony, tossing itself around. Overcome with pain, it threw itself to the floor and stayed there, refusing to move any longer.

“Holy what?” Eli exclaimed, completely baffled. “You didn’t do anything! How did Snover faint all of a sudden?”

Duosion smugly smiled to itself. “Well, you remember that turn of the battle when I seemingly didn’t do anything? Well, that was actually my Future Sight attack. It lets me foresee an attack in the future. I just had to have the right timing.” Duosion’s grin grew wider. “I told you I could look after myself!”

“All right, I guess you’re right,” Eli reluctantly agreed.

Pola merely growled with rage as she returned her Snover. Despite Snover no longer being in battle, the hail persisted. “All right, that’s it! I’m going to win this battle, and that’s that! Understand?” She swiftly stowed away Snover’s ball and pulled out yet another one. “Cryogonal, teach these guys a lesson!”

Once the poke ball was opened, a round, jagged pokemon floated where Snover used to be. Its body was light blue and reflective all over. Two pointed slits opened up on the front to reveal piercing blue eyes. A series of floating pieces of ice trailed down from the pokemon’s mouth.

“Cryogonal, the crystallizing pokemon,” Eli’s pokedex droned. “It is born in snow clouds and has similar properties to water. It uses its chains to capture prey.”

“Whoa, man, that thing is creepy!” observed Duosion. Cryogonal glared at Duosion and spoke using syllables in its name. “Well, I’m sorry, but it’s true!” responded Duosion, apparently taking part in a conversation.

“Duosion! Focus!” reminded Eli.

Pola barked out her commands. “Cryogonal, Sharpen! Jynx, use Shadow Ball on the annoying Duosion!”

“Quick, Lunatone!” Clair ordered, “Do you have any rock-type moves?”

Lunatone nodded slowly in response to Clair’s question. It turned toward Jynx and started forming a couple of faintly glowing rocks in the air around it. When it was ready, it fired off all the rock at once and they flew straight at Jynx, which was too engrossed in its hypnotic dance to dodge the attack. The stones pummeled Jynx’s body all over, causing it considerable damage. It fell straight on the floor after that.

“WHAT? Don’t tell me my Jynx is down!” Pola furiously screamed.

“Oh, phew!” sighed Duosion with relief. “I wasn’t really looking forward to that Shadow Ball attack.”

As if in response to Duosion’s comment, Jynx feebly raised its hand up in the air and started swirling it around, forming a small blob of shadowy energy. With a flick of the wrist, Jynx was able to send the Shadow Ball spiraling through the air straight for Duosion. It then dropped its arm back on the floor, its energy completely drained.

“Oh, sh-“ muttered Duosion, its profane language cut off by the impact of the attack. The ball exploded upon impact with Duosion and scattered dark energy all about the room. With a few final gasps, Duosion couldn’t keep itself in the air any longer. It slowly drifted to the floor and its cytoplasm became a puddle on the floor, littered with hailstones. “I’m… sorry…” Duosion strained between coughs.

“It’s okay, Duosion,” Eli assured. He dug around in his pocket for a few seconds and pulled out Duosion's empty poke ball. “Go ahead and get some rest.” Eli pointed the ball at Duosion and pressed the button on the front. A red beam extended from inside and sucked Duosion into the ball.

“I guess it’s time to get serious now,” Eli uttered after he put away Duosion’s ball. He reached down and pulled out another ball. When he threw it and it burst open, out came the familiar form of Quilava.

“A fire-type? Pssh!” scoffed Pola. “Type advantages don’t intimidate me!”

All while this was happening, Cryogonal’s body started sparkling a little bit. The jagged edges of its body started becoming even sharper, nearly as sharp as a kitchen knife. Cryogonal gave out a low, guttural laugh.

Pola somehow kept her cool as she withdrew her Jynx, which was still lying on the floor. Eli thought that he almost saw her smile as she took out yet another one of her poke balls. She tossed it out and bellowed, “Sealeo, I choose you!”

A fat, blue pokemon came out of the ball. Its bulbous body was supported by two flipper-like limbs in front and a tail in the back. It had a round head with long sets of white whiskers on either side of its mouth.

“Sealeo, the ball roll pokemon,” Eli’s pokedex explained. “It gathers in herds on top of ice floes, often swimming underwater to hunt for food. They frequently entertain themselves by spinning objects on their nose.”

“Oh crap,” Eli gasped. “That thing must be a water type. Quilava and Lunatone are both weak to its attacks.”

“Don’t talk like that,” Clair encouraged. “This freak of a gym leader doesn’t stand a chance against us!”

“I heard that!” screamed Pola from across the room. “You’re gonna pay for that! Cryogonal, use Rapid Spin! Sealeo, Surf!”

“Quick, Quilava, try Flame Wheel on the Cryogonal!”

“Lunatone, use your… uh…” Clair took out her pokedex and checked Lunatone’s information. “…Use Ancientpower!”

Quilava shouted in fury and instantly covered its body in flames. It then curled up on the floor and began to spin forward. Simultaneously, Cryogonal started rotating its body and turned on its side like a freakishly large saw blade. It then shot itself straight at Quilava. When the two pokemon came spinning closer and closer to each other, they finally collided spectacularly in midair. They were both knocked back by the attack. Quilava was covered in a few cuts from Cryogonal’s sharp body, but it was able to stand its ground. Cryogonal, however, wasn’t so lucky. It frowned as water started to drip on the floor. Its body slowly melted away as it fell on the ground, spinning around like a hubcap. It simply continued to frown as it moaned, “Cryo...”

“Cryogonal, return!” Pola said as she returned her fainted Cryogonal.

Before she could take out another pokemon, Lunatone repeated its action from the previous turn. Rocks started to form in midair, covered in a mysterious glow. Continuing to not show any emotion, Lunatone shot these rocks through the air straight at Sealeo. The fat pokemon roared in pain as the rocks struck it all over. However, Sealeo was able to launch its own attack. A massive wall of water came out of nowhere right in front of Sealeo. With a massive howl, Sealeo sent the gigantic wave tumbling down at the opposing pokemon. Eli and Clair were miraculously able to stay dry, but their pokemon were not so lucky. Once the water withdrew, massive clouds of smoke were billowing from Quilava’s body. It could no longer move and fell straight onto the floor without hesitation. Despite Lunatone’s inability to show emotion, Clair could tell that it suffered from the attack. Its red eyes began to grow dim as it wobbled in the air. Suddenly, its eyes went completely black and Lunatone fell to the floor like the rock it is.

“What the what???” screamed Eli in shock. “Both of our pokemon taken out in one hit? That’s impossible! Well, at least Sealeo took some damage. It should be easy to take out now…”

“Think again, smart one!” replied Pola smugly. Eli and Clair looked over at Sealeo, which was chomping on an apple that it had concealed in its fat rolls. “My Sealeo always carries his Leftovers with him. It slowly but surely restores his health. Oh, wait a second, did I also mention that he has the Ice Body ability? That also restores his health when it’s hailing! By now, it could be back at full health already!”

“Oh, crapple,” moaned Eli. “And we each only have one pokemon left.” Eli looked at Clair sheepishly. “Oh well, we may as well try.” He then looked down at his belt and took two poke balls off. He looked at one carefully, then the other, carefully deliberating his choice. He finally took one with a shrug and put the other one back. “Gastrodon, I choose you!” shouted Eli as his trusty Gastrodon appeared on the field.

“All right, then,” Clair sighed. She looked down at her own belt and pulled off a poke ball with little hesitation. “Gastly, go!” she yelled when the ball burst open. Gastly floated in midair, grinning evilly as it always does.

Gastrodon and Gastly stood on one side of the battle arena. Sealeo stood by itself on the other side.

“Hey, Pola,” Eli called out, “Aren’t you going to use another pokemon? If I remember correctly, you’ve only used five so far.”

Pola scoffed. “I can win this battle with just Sealeo. I don’t need any others.”

Eli scowled at Pola’s mocking confidence. He then gave out his orders. “Gastrodon, use Rain Dance to get rid of the hail!”

“Gastly, try putting it to sleep with Hypnosis!”

“Sealeo, teach these guys some manners. Hit them with Surf again!”

Gastly started spinning around in the air and staring intently at Sealeo. “Sealeo, don’t look at the Gastly!” Pola ordered. Sealeo obediently averted its gaze, completely avoiding the Hypnosis attack. It then took its chance to attack. It raised up a massive wall of water like before, then sent it crashing down on the opponents. Clair and Eli somehow stayed dry, but Gastly was badly hurt by the attack. Gastly couldn’t take it and went down immediately. “Gaaaassstlyyyyyy…” it moaned as its body slowly dissipated into the air.

“Aww, man, I’m out of pokemon!” complained Clair. She pouted as she returned her fainted Gastly.

However, Gastrodon was doing much better on its side of the field. Puddles of water were all over the floor of the battlefield, but the water all suddenly started moving toward Gastrodon. Its body was enveloped in a fierce blue glow as the water seemed to disappear inside its body.

“Crap!” screamed Pola. “Is that… Storm Drain?”

Eli looked on in amazement as his pokemon absorbed all the water on the field. “It must be! Gastrodon’s Storm Drain ability is making it more powerful! After it starts raining, Gastrodon is sure to beat Sealeo in one hit!”

In response to Eli’s speech, Gastrodon started rhythmically wavering back and forth, swinging its head around in a mystic dance. The hail in the room started to thin as rain clouds grew above everyone.

Pola knew that if the hail was gone, Sealeo wouldn’t stand a chance. She issued her order without hesitation. “Sealeo, quickly! Hit it with Body Slam before it finishes its dance!”

“Seal!” her pokemon responded as it frantically bounded over to the other side of the field, dragging its tail behind it. As Gastrodon continued dancing, Sealeo jumped up in the air in an incredible feat of strength. It crashed its entire fat body onto Gastrodon, crushing the poor gastropod underneath its blubber. When Sealeo got up, Gastrodon raised its head, evidently still able to battle. It tried to continue the Rain Dance, but it twitched uncontrollably and could barely move.

“Ha! I knew it!” Pola shouted with pride. “Body Slam paralyzed your Gastrodon! There’s no way you can win now!” The rain clouds on the ceiling completely disappeared and the hail continued to rain down harder.

Eli dejectedly looked upon his poor Gastrodon as it sat there paralyzed. “Oh well, I guess we still have to try!” decided Eli. “Gastrodon, use Muddy Water!”

Pola chuckled at this. “Sealeo, why don’t we just let him attack this time?”

Following orders, Sealeo sat in place, waiting for Gastrodon’s attack. Gastrodon struggled to aim its head at Sealeo, but it managed to let out a high-pressure blast of brown water straight at the opponent. Sealeo took the attack with no ill effects whatsoever. It brushed the mud out of its whiskers as it awaited its next order.

“All right, Sealeo, that’s quite enough. Let’s finish him off with Ice Ball!”

Sealeo curled its bulbous body into a ball and started rolling straight for Gastrodon. The paralyzed pokemon was unable to dodge, so it took the attack head-on. Gastrodon was knocked over on its side by the Ice Ball attack, and it made no effort whatsoever to get back up.

Eli recalled his fainted Gastrodon. From across the room, Pola taunted, “Well well well, look who’s laughing now! Looks like I win this battle, and I didn’t even have to use all my pokemon!”

Eli and Clair refused to dignify her mockery with a response. “The silent treatment doesn’t work on me! Looks like you’ve worn out your welcome here, eh? I know how busy you are, and I don’t want to keep you too long. So, see ya!” To Eli and Clair’s surprise, the floor below them began to rise. Two metal panels were exposed below them as they were lifted up through an opening in the ceiling. When the elevator ride was over, they found themselves back at the front door of the gym.

~~~~

The door silently creaked on its hinges as it inched open. Kenny was just barely regaining consciousness. He felt like he was still sleeping, but he could see a little. He was too tired to move his head to look for the source of the sound, so he just remained in place. The view in front of him was blurred through his half-closed eyes. A dark figure moved across the room, vaguely the shape of a human being. The figure appeared to be dressed in all black, but Kenny was too lethargic to try making out any further details.

The figure silently crept across to the other side of the room. Some rummaging sounds could be vaguely heard, various objects shuffling around. The figure pulled out a few objects and stowed them away, looked around warily, and turned back. Once the figure was nearly at the door, there was a loud crashing noise. A loud growling could be heard as well.

“Get off me, you stupid animal!”

Some smaller, orange object was thrown across the room and hit the wall with great force, letting out a squeal. It then fell to the floor with a thud. The door of the room suddenly shut and Kenny was once again left alone.

Completely indifferent to the activity that was going on around him, Kenny drifted back to sleep.

Last edited:

DarknessInZero

<- Es mío! MÍO!
Great chapter Gelo. This cover my fic needs for now. I was almost to kill someone. And that isn't rude. Is a irony.

Well, here we go again. For the 2nd time. Duosion is great, and I had the same idea to describe Jellybean's Psyshock. But Jellybean has more surprises than a normal Duosion...

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Chapter XXIX: Field Test

Oberon sat at his desk, idly twiddling his thumbs. Alakazam floated next to him, wearing reading glasses and completing a crossword puzzle. The room was completely silent. Oberon simply waited with eager anticipation.

All of a sudden, what he was waiting for finally arrived. A man wearing a white lab coat pushed the office doors open and confidently strode inside. “Mister Oberon, sir,” he declared, “I’m pleased to announce that the prototype is finished!” He held up a circular metal object covered in wires of all sorts. Oberon sat forward and grinned evilly.

“Excellent!” he laughed heartily. “You deserve a promotion! And how about the test subjects? Are they here yet?”

“Not yet,” the scientist explained, “But we have been informed that they've been captured already. The grunt is already on his way.”

Oberon’s grin widened even more. “This is great. We’re very far in the plan and Kenny hasn’t been able to interfere. Please notify me immediately when the test subjects arrive. I think I’ll go pay Kenny and his friends a little visit before we head off to the Sun Mountains.”

~~~~

Eli and Clair were in the motel room, lying down on the twin beds and facing the ceiling. Duosion, having since recovered from his unfortunate experience at the gym, levitated in the middle of the room and read the newspaper.

“Can you guys believe this?” complained Duosion. “Some group of weirdos called Team Nova have been causing trouble all over the Fushi region. You remember when we first met inside that Silph Co. building? That was all because of Team Nova too.”

“We know, Duosion,” Eli sighed. “We’ve been having trouble with Team Nova all over the place. Kenny is one of their top threats, you know.”

“No kidding?” Duosion looked back at the newspaper. “Well, I still can’t believe the police haven’t caught up with them.”

“They’re a crafty bunch,” commented Clair. After a brief moment of silence, she said, “Hey, come to think of it, Team Nova hasn’t caused any major trouble since Kenny got hurt, and it’s been a couple days since then. What do you think they’re up to?”

Eli shrugged. “They’re probably causing trouble in other places. I'd imagine this tiny little island is the least of their problems.”

“Actually,” added Duosion, “There hasn’t been anything about them in the news since that Silph Co. fiasco.”

“Yeah, that is weird,” Eli continued. “And Kenny’s still here on the island, so you’d think they’d be making sure he doesn’t mess up any more of their plans. Unless… they’re already doing something else important? More important than Kenny, even?”

“I don’t like the sound of that,” Clair responded. “I hope Kenny gets better soon so we can get off this island as soon as possible.”

As if in response to Clair’s comment, the door of the motel swung open. Everyone in the room looked in the doorway. A familiar person stood there. It was Kenny! But he was clearly frowning. Everyone just assumed he was frowning because he missed everyone so much.

“Kenny!” Clair squealed. She sprang off the bed and ran straight up to Kenny. She wrapped her arms around him hard enough to strangle him, but he just continued frowning.

“Well, look who’s here!” Duosion said as he put down his newspaper. “You look like you need some rest. Why don’t you lie down for a bit?” Duosion then used his telekinetic powers to lift Kenny off the ground and gently put him down on one of the motel beds. He was frowning the entire time.

“Kenny! You’re back already? That’s amazing!” Eli went over to him. “Did you know that we tried to challenge the ice gym in this town while you were in the hospital? We lost, of course, since you weren’t there to help us. Are you ready to beat the ice gym and show that stupid Pola who’s boss?” Kenny didn’t react at all.

A long, awkward silence ensued. Everyone looked at Kenny as he continued to incessantly frown. “…Kenny?” Clair cautiously said, “Is something wrong?”

Kenny finally said something. “Did you guys take my pokemon with you to keep them safe?”

Clair and Eli were puzzled that he would ask a question like that all of a sudden. “Uh… no, I don’t think so,” replied Eli. “We let all your pokemon out of their balls to rest with you, but we left them in your room.”

Kenny said, “The doctor told me that she put all my pokemon back in their balls, since pets weren’t allowed in the hospital.”

“Oh,” said Clair. “Sorry about that. But why would you think that we have your pokemon now?”

Kenny replied by looking down at his belt. There were six spaces for poke balls on it, but there were no balls.

“…What the flesh?” Eli slowly said.

“When I woke up, all my pokemon were gone.”

Everyone was simply in shock at this. Even Duosion was speechless. “So they were kidnapped while you were sleeping?” inferred Clair.

“That’s the only thing it could be.”

Eli thought fast. “In that case, we’ve got to tell the police department or something! We can’t just let someone get away with stealing your pokemon!”

Kenny wouldn’t stop frowning. “Okay,” he flatly replied.

Eli and Clair started to gather their things as quickly as they could. They rushed out the door at top speed, dragging the depressed Kenny along with them. Finally, they burst through the motel door and started running out into the town. Before they got very far, their way was blocked by an all-too-familiar man wearing a black pinstripe jacket. In his hands were two regular poke balls and two golden balls.

“Well, hello!” greeted Oberon graciously. “Long time no see, am I right? It’s just great to see you all!”

“Oberon?!” Eli exclaimed in disgust. “Well, at least we know where Kenny’s pokemon went. It certainly could have been worse.”

“Shut up, kid!” hissed Oberon. “All of this was part of my elaborate scheme to stop Kenny from ruining Team Nova's plans!”

“Even the part where you almost killed him?” cried Clair. “You’re sick!”

“Calm down, girl,” said Oberon. “That was actually a complete accident, courtesy of my careless grunts. The elaborate scheme was inspired by that little incident.”

“Well then, if your ‘elaborate scheme’ is so magnificent, why don’t you tell us about it?” Eli said.

“Now, that wouldn’t be very wise at all, would it?” chuckled Oberon. “Anyway, now that I have Kenny’s pokemon, not only have I prevented you from ruining my future plans for Team Nova, but I can also destroy anybody who gets in my way!”

“What are you talking about?” spat Eli. “If you think you’re gonna use Kenny’s pokemon in battle, think again. They’d never obey you!”

“Maybe you should think again!” Oberon laughed. “Trapinch, why don’t you demonstrate for me?” Oberon put away all the poke balls in his hand except for a single golden one. He threw it out in the air and a flash of light ensued, followed by Trapinch’s body appearing on the ground. It ferociously snapped in the air so hard and angrily that everyone half-expected foam to start coming out of its mouth. On its head was a round, metal object like a helmet. Wires came out of it from all different angles.

“What the heck is that?” inquired Eli, referring to the strange helmet on Trapinch’s head.

“I’m glad you asked!” Oberon heartily replied. He walked over to Trapinch’s and knelt down, tapping the helmet. “This is the latest invention of Team Nova: the mind control helmet! When one is placed on a pokemon’s head, it is forced into submission and will follow our commands only!”

Upon seeing his Trapinch under the control of the most evil man he knew, Kenny snapped out of his depression and shouted. “Trapinch! Come over here!” Trapinch looked at Kenny curiously for a second, then immediately growled and snapped its massive jaws at him.

“Why, you…” growled Kenny.

“Kenny, calm down!” comforted Eli. “It’s not his fault, it’s Oberon’s fault! I’ll battle Oberon and get all your pokemon back, okay? I’m sorry that I have to hurt your pokemon, but we have no choice!”

Kenny grunted and crossed his arms, not saying another word. “I guess that’s a yes.” Eli the reached down at his belt and pulled off a poke ball. “Okay, Oberon,” Eli confidently declared, “I’ll accept your challenge and beat you! Come on, let’s go!”

“You’re going to battle me? Ha!” Oberon taunted. “We’ll see about that. With Kenny’s pokemon, nobody can beat me now! Come on, hit us with your best shot!”

“Maybe I will.” Eli stepped back and threw his poke ball high into the air. “Gastrodon, I choose you!” From out of the poke ball, Gastrodon fell on the ground and looked at the enemy Trapinch.

“A type advantage, eh?” Oberon mused. “All right, then, I can handle that! Trapinch, use your Sand Tomb!”

“Gastrodon, quick, hit it with Water Pulse!”

Trapinch, somehow moving faster than ever, started stomping on the ground and roaring. Its fury summoned a swirling vortex of sand directly underneath Gastrodon.

“Oh, by the way, did I forget to mention?” commented Oberon. “The mind control helmets also make my pokemon stronger and faster! How do you like that?”

Gastrodon was dragged into the sand and started spinning around in the pit, but as it spun around, it stuck its head up in the air and shot out rings of water from its mouth. These rings were able to travel through the air and splash all over Trapinch. Due to Trapinch’s unfortunate type disadvantage, it immediately fainted when the attack hit.

“Fast and powerful, eh?” taunted Eli. “I may not be a scientist, but it looks to me like the helmets also drain your pokemon’s energy faster.”

Oberon moaned as he withdrew Trapinch, but quickly took out another ball. “Okay, Primeape, smash their heads in!” Once the poke ball opened up, Kenny’s Primeape stood on the ground, wearing a helmet identical to the one Trapinch had. However, it was acting very much out of character. Its eyes were completely bloodshot and it jumped up and down, snorting furiously.

“Oh, God,” mused Eli, “Primeape is already freakishly powerful, and I don’t want to know what it’s like powered up by Oberon’s stupid machine. I better take out Hoothoot, since it has a type advantage.” Eli took out Gastrodon’s poke ball to return it. Gastrodon was still swirling around in the pit of sand. Eli pressed the button on the ball, causing the red beam to come out of it. However, when the beam hit Gastrodon, nothing happened. The poke ball remained silent and Gastrodon continued spinning uncontrollably.

“Hey, why can’t I withdraw my Gastrodon?” complained Eli. Then it struck him. “Ohh…”

“That’s right!” called out Oberon. “Not only does Trapinch have the Arena Trap ability, but your pokemon is also stuck in its Sand Tomb!”

Eli decided to try battling with Gastrodon instead. “All right, Gastrodon, try Muddy water!”

“Primeape, Cross Chop!”

Primeape roared and began to run forward. Its arms were crossed, ready to lash out at Gastrodon. However, Gastrodon had already started its attack. It started spewing brown water out of its mouth, but since it was stuck in the swirling sand, it couldn’t aim properly. The stream of dirty water went everywhere, causing Trapinch’s Sand Tomb to fill up with mud. Eventually the ground was so viscous that it stopped moving altogether, now a giant swamp with Gastrodon still stuck in it. Primeape jumped up in the air and flew straight for Gastrodon, but it made a slight miscalculation due to the previously moving sand and instead it flew headfirst into the mud.

“Gah!” Oberon complained, on the verge of pulling his hair out. “Primeape, do something!”

“All right, Gastrodon,” Eli said calmly, “Now finish that Primeape with Surf!”

Gastrodon caused a gigantic wave to build up out of seemingly nowhere. A massive wall of water crashed down on the giant pit of mud, hitting Primeape. When the water filled up the pit, the mud became so thin that it was nearly the consistency of water. Now, instead of a giant sand pit or a giant mud pit, there was a giant dirty lake in the middle of the battlefield. Gastrodon floated to the surface of the water and sat there. A moment later, Primeape floated to the top as well, soaked to the skin. It seemed to be unconscious.

“WHAT?” screamed Oberon in exasperation. “That Primeape was really strong! Oh well, I still have your other pokemon!” Oberon returned Primeape and stowed away the ball, then pulled out yet another one. He tossed it in the air while yelling, “Rotom! Go!” The tiny orange plasma pokemon levitated over the ground, its large metal helmet fitting awkwardly on its pointed head.

“Oh, not you too, Rotom!” sighed Kenny. “After all we’ve been through!”

“Don’t worry about it, Kenny!” reassured Eli. “Gastrodon can take care of this! Gastrodon, try Muddy Water!”

Oberon commanded, “Rotom, finish him off with Shadow Ball.”

Rotom’s blistering speed allowed it to go first. Its eyes turned an eerie shade of red as it formed a gigantic black orb of energy between its appendages. It then launched this orb straight at Gastrodon, who was still floating on the water. Gastrodon’s sluggish speed kept it from avoiding the attack, so it took it head-on. The ball exploded on Gastrodon, causing it to sway back and forth in the water. It attempted to execute its Muddy Water attack, but it could only belch up a miniscule amount of mud before it toppled over on its side.

“Aww, man!” exclaimed Eli when he withdrew Gastrodon. “I guess I better try another pokemon…”

“Hold on, Peach Cake!” Clair called out as she ran up to Eli. “Let me take care of this one. My Gastly’s ghost-type moves can beat Rotom.”

After some deliberation, Eli agreed. “Sure, all right.” Eli stepped back with Kenny to watch the battle. “Oh, that reminds me. Hoothoot might like to see this.” Eli hastily grabbed a poke ball off his belt and opened it up, causing Hoothoot to materialize in the air. It rapidly flapped its tiny wings and landed comfortably on Eli’s shoulder, carefully watching the battle.

“Oh, the little girl’s going to battle me now?” taunted Oberon. “I’m gonna go easy on you, just so you don’t cry too much, okay?”

“Shut up!” screamed Clair, her face turning red. “Gastly, teach him some manners!” Clair tossed out Gastly’s poke ball with all her might, causing it to burst open and reveal the gaseous pokemon on the field. It let out a deep chuckle at the sight of its tiny opponent. Gastly spread out its body to make itself look more intimidating. However, Rotom’s resolute expression remained intact.

“Gastly, hit that Rotom with Shadow Ball!”

“Rotom, use your own Shadow Ball!”

Following their trainers’ orders, both Gastly and Rotom formed eerie balls of dark energy in front of them. Simultaneously, they launched the blobs at each other with great grunts of effort. The balls sailed through the air directly towards each other. However, due to the influence of the mind control helmet, Rotom’s attack traveled through the air much faster. The Shadow Balls collided and spectacularly exploded very close to Gastly. Rotom cackled madly as it watched the dark energy dissipate, revealing Gastly slowly floating to the ground.

“No! Gastly!” cried Clair, but to no avail. Gastly continued floating to the ground.

Clair frowned as she began taking our Gastly’s poke ball to return it. However, everyone was stunned by a bright flash of white light. Shielding her eyes, Clair looked on as Gastly’s amorphous body started to glow tremendously. “Yes!” squealed Clair in excitement. The round, white form of Gastly began to change shape. Giant spikes protruded from its round body and two hands formed in front of it. Suddenly, the white glow exploded into the air and disappeared. Before everyone, a completely new pokemon floated in place. It was purple all over with triangular eyes and a wide mouth. Two disembodied hands floated in front of it, enveloped by an odd red glow.

“Haunter, the gas pokemon, and the evolved form of Gastly,” Clair’s pokedex explained without warning. “Because its body is made of gas, it can slip through any obstacle. It uses its long tongue to steal the life force from its victims.”

“Sweet!” exclaimed Clair joyously. “My Gastly evolved! Now we’re unstoppable!”

“This will not impede my plans!” Oberon stated. “Rotom can still defeat your Haunter without breaking a sweat! Rotom, finish it with another Shadow Ball!”

“Quick, Haunter, use Hypnosis!”

Rotom started gathering another dark ball of energy in front of it. On the other side of the field, Haunter moved its hands around hypnotically and its eyes began to glow ominously. When Rotom was ready to aim its attack, it looked straight at Haunter’s eyes. Upon making eye contact, Rotom’s Shadow Ball promptly dissolved into the air and the plasma pokemon fell into a deep sleep.

“No! Rotom, wake up!” screamed Oberon. Despite his incredibly annoying protests, Rotom remained fast asleep.

Ready to issue her commands, Clair said, “Now, Haunter, try your… huh?”

Haunter started its own attack without prompt. Its eyes glowed bright pink as it floated over to the sleeping Rotom. Haunter extended its floating hand and placed it right next to Rotom’s forehead. Pink energy started flowing out of Rotom’s body and straight into Haunter’s mouth.

“Whoa!” exclaimed Kenny. “Is that a Dream Eater attack? I’ve never seen one before. That’s pretty freaky…”

Haunter’s body faintly sparkled when it finished its attack. It snickered when the attack was done.

“Awesome, you learned a new attack!” congratulated Clair. “And now your health’s restored, too! Great work! Now, finish off that Rotom with a Shadow Ball!”

More than happy to oblige, Haunter swirled its ghostly hands around, forming a black orb in front of it. It then extended its hands, causing the Shadow Ball to sail through the air at great speed. The ball violently struck Rotom, causing it to wake up in great pain. Haunter burst out in maniacal laugher when it saw the attack hit. Rotom, completely deprived of energy, slowly floated to the ground, unable to battle.

“GRR!” growled Oberon furiously. “You may have beat Kenny’s pokemon, but I still have one left! I’ve been saving this one for the grand finale!” Oberon slowly procured a sparkling, gold poke ball from his jacket pocket.

“Oh, crapple,” gasped Eli.

“Dang it, I forgot about that one!” yelled Clair.

Oberon chuckled as he threw the ball way up high in the air. “Gyarados, destroy!” When the ball burst open, the massive red serpent flew through the sky and sailed down to the ground. It had a metal helmet identical to the other pokemons’ helmets on its head. It opened up its gaping mouth and roared furiously, sending a massive cloud of fetid breath at the group.

Kenny spoke to his Gyarados when it saw him. “Gyarados, don’t you remember me? I’m your trainer! Kenny!” In response, Gyarados simply snorted and turned itself around, flinging its massive tail at Kenny’s body. He ducked out of the way, narrowly avoiding the attack so that he didn’t have to go back to the hospital. “Yeah, I guess he remembers me.”

“Okay, Haunter!” reassured Clair. “Don’t be intimidated! We can take this guy!” Haunter seemed a little bit disheartened upon seeing the massively huge pokemon in front of it. “Haunter! Try using Hypnosis!”

Oberon calmly ordered, “Gyarados, use Bite.”

Haunter’s eyes started glowing again as it spun around, attempting to put the furious Gyarados to sleep. However, Gyarados was able to completely avoid Haunter’s gaze. It opened its gaping maw and flew straight down at Haunter, then clamped its jaws down on it. Despite Haunter’s gaseous consistency, it was brutally injured from the attack. It cried out in pain as its body slowly drifted out of Gyarados’s mouth and it floated to the ground, not making a move.

“Aww…” complained Clair after returning her pokemon. “Oh, well, I think Gyarados is weak to rock-type moves, so I better try using Lunatone.” She reached down at her belt and pulled out a great ball.

“But Lunatone is weak to Gyarados’s Bite attack!” protested Eli. “Not only that, but it also has poor defense!”

“I don’t have much of a choice,” replied Clair sadly. She tossed the ball out and unenthusiastically called out, “Lunatone, I choose you.” The emotionless meteorite pokemon levitated in the air, not revealing any reaction to the massive Gyarados that flew before it.

“Lunatone, use Ancientpower.”

“Gyarados, use Bite again!”

Gyarados roared and started flying straight at the opponent. Lunatone, however, was starting its own attack. A couple of glowing rocks appeared in the air around it, and then rocketed themselves forward. As Gyarados was flying, all these rocks struck it directly in the face, causing it to cry out. However, it was still able to battle, so it flew forward and clamped its jaws down on Lunatone’s rock-hard body. Clair could only guess that Lunatone was in terrible pain as the glow of its eyes began to fade. When Gyarados released the meteorite pokemon from its grip, Lunatone’s eyes turned completely black and it immediately fell to the ground, like a machine that turned itself off.

“Darn it,” Clair said miserably. She withdrew Lunatone to its great ball immediately. “Well, Jigglypuff has Rollout, so I guess that’s the next thing I should try…” She then took Jigglypuff’s poke ball off her belt.

“Hoot! Hoot!” exclaimed Eli’s pokemon from his shoulder.

“What’s the matter, Hoothoot?” inquired Eli.

Without another thought, Hoothoot started flapping its feeble wings. The baby pokemon bravely flew right up to Gyarados’s head and perched on top of it. The enraged Gyarados looked as if it was about to rip Hoothoot’s head off any second.

“Hoothoot! What are you doing?!” cried Eli, fearing for the safety of his pokemon.

However, Hoothoot didn’t respond and instead opened its tiny beak as wide as it could. It then grabbed on to Gyarados’s head with its beak, pulling with all its might. Gyarados unexpectedly took on a look of sheer terror. Its eyes contorted into an expression of pure fear. It howled in pain and started flailing its entire body around with Hoothoot miraculously holding on by its beak. After a while, Gyarados couldn’t take it anymore. It stopped flailing, completely exhausted of energy, and fell to the ground with a magnificent crash. Its body stopped moving completely after this, knocked out by Hoothoot. The owl pokemon simply ruffled its feathers and left a white glob dripping down Gyarados’s face.

“Oh my God.” Eli was completely in shock. “Did my Hoothoot just single-handedly defeat Kenny’s Gyarados?”

“Well, to be fair, my Lunatone weakened it with Ancientpower,” added Clair.

Kenny chimed in, “I guess Mirror Move gave Hoothoot the power of Gyarados’s Bite attack.”

Hoothoot flapped its wings and started flying back over to Eli. It perched on his shoulder and chirped happily.

“Wow…” said Eli, at a loss for words. “That was the most incredible thing I’ve ever seen. Great job, Hoothoot.” He stroked Hoothoot’s feathers soothingly and it chirped in response. It then started cleaning its feathers as if nothing had happened.

“He’s a pretty modest one, isn’t he?” Kenny commented.

Everyone nearly forgot about Oberon, who practically had steam coming out of his ears. He returned Gyarados to its gold poke ball. Kenny walked forward up to Oberon and held out his hand. “You lost the battle, Oberon. Now give me back my pokemon.”

Oberon didn’t react. A brief silence ensued, followed by some chuckling. “I may have lost the battle, but I still have your pokemon. And even better, I know that the mind control helmets work, so I can now use them for their true purpose. So long, kid.” With that, Oberon turned around on his heel and started to walk away.

Kenny, completely enraged, was ready to give chase. However, he didn’t have to; someone else was already giving chase. From around the corner of a building, like a streak of light, an orange figure ran straight toward Oberon at full speed. To everyone’s amazement, it was none other than Kenny’s Floatzel!

Oberon looked at the pokemon. “So that’s why I only got four poke balls!” he realized.

Before he could even attempt to get away, Floatzel ran forward and grabbed onto Oberon’s leg with its fangs. “OWWW!” exclaimed Oberon in great pain. He shook his leg, trying to dislodge the bothersome pokemon, but Floatzel held on tight. It then let go and jumped up to Oberon’s abdomen, ripping a gaping hole in his pinstripe suit. From out of the hole, two regular poke balls and two golden balls spilled onto the ground. Floatzel let go of Oberon and allowed him to run away. “You haven’t seen the last of me!” he shouted back at the group as he limped away, disappearing behind a building.

“Wow, Floatzel!” Kenny exclaimed happily as he walked over to go gather his poke balls. Floatzel purred happily as it rubbed against Kenny’s leg. “I’m so glad to see you! I was really worried when you ran off a while ago.”

In response to Kenny’s comment, Floatzel reached its hand behind its floatation sac and pulled out a red box with a screen on it.

“Hey, that’s my pokedex! That must be why you ran away earlier,” observed Kenny. He took it and tried turning it on. It worked perfectly. “Wow, I expected it to break from being underwater, but I guess not. Thanks a lot, Floatzel!” Floatzel continued to purr.

Eli looked slightly troubled. “I don’t mean to ruin this great moment, but did you hear when Oberon said he can use the mind control helmets for their ‘true purpose’ now?”

“Man, I knew those Team Nova freaks were up to something!” interjected Clair.

“In that case, should we follow Oberon and see what his plans are?” suggested Eli.

Kenny spoke up. “Well, I don’t know about you guys, but I’m really itching to do a gym battle. And who knows the next time we’ll have the opportunity to come back to this island? I say we stay here and beat the gym, then we go foil Team Nova’s plans. Sound good?”

“All right, fine,” agreed Eli. “Just because I want to see that stupid Pola lose.”

“I second that!” said Clair.

The three of them, followed by Duosion (who had been engrossed in his newspaper this whole time), walked down the street heading for the pokemon center. As they walked, Kenny wondered what was so bad about some gym leader that made Eli and Clair despise her so much.

Last edited:

DarknessInZero

<- Es mío! MÍO!
Yeah! New chapter in two days? Are you feeling right?

Just kidding. Great chapter. Duosion has to train a bit and learn Focus Blast. And don't hide when the others are battling. And I'm saying that directly to Duosion.

I was right when I said that Floatzel was searching Kenny's Pokédex.

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
Great Chapter! I loved the description of the gym battle, and Duosion's personality. The CLIFFHANGER was great, and I can't wait to see more!

EDIT: Sorry. I didn't refresh for a while, and you had posted the next chapter! Great ending too! I didn't see any mistakes, so good job!

-TA

Last edited:

Gelatino95

Not a tool
The long awaited next chapter has arrived. School and stuff is taking lots of my free time, so don't expect me to be churning out chapters on a daily basis like I used to. Also, this chapter is rather battle-heavy like the other recent ones, so I'm planning to make the next couple chapters light on battles.

Chapter XXX: Kenny Versus Pola

The group casually strode down the street of the diminutive Coraline town. A couple houses and businesses lined the sides of the street, but nothing more than the vast expanse of the glimmering ocean could be seen beyond them. As they walked, Kenny was busy divulging all his feelings to the group as if he were at a psychiatrist appointment.

“It just felt… wrong,” said Kenny, his face pointed at the ground. “When I was told that my condition was stable and I could leave the hospital, I was overjoyed. I mean, spending all day in that bed was no fun at all. But when I went to collect my stuff and found that none of my pokemon were there… it was like getting hit by a dump truck. It took a bit of time for the realization to sink in.”

“I can’t possibly imagine what would happen if I lost any of my pokemon,” commented Eli. “Especially Hoothoot.” Eli reached his hand up to his shoulder and scratched Hoothoot on the head. It cooed softly. “Hoothoot is really special to me for some reason… I guess hatching it from that egg gave us a really deep bond.”

“That’s the cutest story I’ve ever heard, Peach Cake!” squealed Clair. “Oh, hold on a sec, I think I see the gym!”

Clair’s observation proved right; the gym was just down at the end of the road. Kenny immediately started sprinting down the road, followed closely by Clair. Eli simply jogged along with the group at a brisk pace with Hoothoot digging its claws into Eli’s shoulder for dear life.

~~~~

The frosted glass door automatically slid open with a mechanical whir. Clouds of freezing air pushed their way past the three people and gelatinous pokemon while the door was open. When it closed behind everyone, the silence of the frigid ice gym filled the room. Kenny strode straight up to the handrail on the edge of the walkway which kept him from plummeting to a cold, painful death and placed his hands on the bar, inhaling deeply and smiling.

“This place is beautiful!” observed Kenny gleefully.

“Yeah, and c-c-cold…” shivered Clair.

“Sp-sp-speaking of cold…” stuttered Eli, “I should probably return Hoothoot. I hear that birds can’t stand the cold at all.” Eli dug around in his backpack and pulled out a dirty poke ball. He blew the dust off and pressed the button on the front. The red beam grasped Hoothoot and brought it into the ball.

“Oh, I don’t know,” continued Kenny. “It’s not really that bad. I mean, sure, it’s a bit chilly, but when you take in the scenery around here… you just forget all your troubles. Am I right, or am I right?”

Eli and Clair looked at each other incredulously. “How can you not think this is freaking cold?” complained Eli. “Are some people immune to the cold or something?”

“Maybe it’s because Kenny’s always so hyperactive,” suggested Clair.

“Could be!” shouted Kenny as he jumped in the air, turned around, and landed on his feet. “Well, what the heck are we waiting for? Come on!” Kenny immediately started sprinting across the metal walkway towards one of the steel elevators.

“Watch out for the ice slicks!” Eli warned.

“Yeah, I know!” shouted Kenny back to him. In response, Kenny lifted up one foot behind him and slid across a nearly invisible patch of ice on the ground. He glided over the walkway gracefully before jumping up and landing on one of the elevators. “Come on, guys! You’re slowing me down!”

Eli and Clair carefully made their way across the path so as to avoid falling on their bottoms. Duosion simply floated behind them calmly. “So, is he making up for all the time he lost while he was in the hospital?” asked Duosion.

“Must be,” Eli concurred.

Everyone set foot in the elevator. Kenny curled his fingers into a fist and dramatically punched the “down” button on the elevator in slow-motion, making an exploding sound-effect upon contact. The steel elevator made its way downwards, leading to another metal walkway. Kenny bounded down this path like the previous one, being sure to slide with grace across any ice slicks. Once everybody was in the elevator again, they continued to repeat this process over many floors of the gym. After several long, grueling minutes of chasing after Kenny, the group finally reached the bottom floor, completely encased in ice as usual.

“Sweet!” exclaimed Kenny. “It’s like ice skating, except without the skating! So it’s just ice! Check this out!” Without warning, Kenny planted his right foot against the metal wall and pushed off with all his might. Just like many other times before, he was able to glide straight across the ice and gently hit the other wall, adjacent to the door.

“Oh God, not this again,” sighed Eli. “Duosion, do you think you can carry us across with your telekinesis? Without flinging us straight at the wall?”

“All right, fine,” grumbled Duosion. It enveloped Eli and Clair with a pink glow and slowly but surely pushed them across the ice. Soon enough, they were at the other side with Kenny, who was practically jumping out of his pants with anticipation.

“Come on, guys!” called Kenny impatiently as if he had to relieve himself, “Let’s hurry up! I think we’re almost there!”

Kenny walked through the opening in the room which lead to Pola’s room. She was standing on her side of the battlefield as always, being entertained by Froslass juggling small balls of ice and Snover attempting to learn how to juggle with its unwieldy green arms.

“Oh, it’s you guys again,” said Pola unenthusiastically. “Back for more?”

“Yeah, right,” Kenny replied. “This is my first time here!”

“So you’re that other kid,” commented Pola. “Cool. Are you ready to battle?”

“Definitely!” exclaimed Kenny. “But hold on a sec. Here’s the deal: I heard that my friends here, Eli and Clair, came to battle you. And they lost. Now, I don’t want them to have to battle you again. We simply don’t have the time. You see, we’re on the trail of that group of circus clowns that call themselves Team Nova. They’re up to something big and we need to find out what. However, we don’t want to miss the chance to battle you here. So with that, I request that I battle you by myself in a three-on-three battle. If I win, then we all get badges. Deal?”

Pola scoffed. “Fine then, kid. Only because I know you’ll lose just like your friends did. If I can beat both of them by myself, then I can beat you easily.”

“Well, if you’re so amazing, why don’t you send out your pokemon already!” taunted Kenny.

“Maybe I will!” exclaimed Pola, completely oblivious to the fact that Kenny was duping her into sending out her pokemon first so he could choose a pokemon with the best advantage. She took a poke ball out of her pocket and withdrew Froslass, whose balls of ice clattered on the floor. Snover remained on the battlefield. “All right, Snover, I choose you!” ordered Pola. Snover immediately started walking up to the center of the battlefield.

“A Snover?” commented Kenny. “This should be a piece of cake. Now, what should I… Holy crap!” exclaimed Kenny. He grabbed his head and looked up, only to be met by a small shower of ice shards. “It’s hailing indoors? What are the odds of that?”

Pola sighed in exasperation. “Why does nobody know about Snow Warning these days? It’s really not that hard to understand!”

“Snow Warning makes it hail all the time, Kenny,” Duosion explained from afar. “Even when Snover’s not on the field.”

“Well, that complicates things a bit,” pondered Kenny. He stood in place and rubbed his chin in deep thought. “Now, if only I had a pokemon that was immune to hail…” Kenny glanced down at his belt for a few seconds and subsequently shook his head. Suddenly, his eyes widened and he looked straight at Duosion.

“Not happening,” Duosion retorted curtly.

“Dang.” Kenny continued looking at his belt and examining his poke balls.

“Well,” started Duosion, “Since I’m not battling, I may as well give out battle tips. Hey, Kenny! Over here!” Kenny immediately looked Duosion in the eye.

Duosion started using its telepathy to communicate with Kenny. Kenny, that Snover has Ingrain. Try using a pokemon with a type disadvantage to distract Pola so she doesn’t have Snover use Ingrain. It’ll be really hard to take out if it can restore its health.

Kenny nodded in acknowledgement. He reached down and grabbed a golden poke ball off his belt and immediately tossed it out. “Go, Trapinch!” Kenny’s Trapinch then appeared on the field, somewhat bothered by the hail raining down on its head.

“A Trapinch?” giggled Pola. “How dumb can you be? Trapinch is a Ground-type! It’ll fall to any of Snover’s moves in one hit!”

“Whatever you say, dumbo,” taunted Kenny casually. “Trapinch, teach this creep a lesson with a super-fast Sand Tomb.”

“That insult was uncalled for!” screamed Pola. “Snover, get rid of him with Razor Leaf!”

Trapinch started banging its feet on the ground furiously, so fast that it started breaking out in a sweat. However, Snover had already gathered a large cloud of blade-like leaves in the air around it. At astonishing speed, a massive vortex of sand ripped apart the floor of the gym and swirled directly underneath Snover. The ice-type dropped its collection of leaves into the sand as it fell in. Snover started spinning around helplessly in the Sand Tomb.

“Darn it!” screeched Pola. “All right, Sand Tomb deals residual damage, so use Ingrain to stay healthy, Snover!”

“Trapinch, get in there and use Crunch.”

Trapinch started hobbling over on its incredibly short legs. At the same time, however, Snover started extending its brown feet like roots. These roots snaked their way into the swirling sand and started running deep. All of a sudden, Snover’s body jerked to a halt as the roots kept it in place. It started to sparkle faintly, indicating that it was regaining health. By this time, Trapinch already made its way to the edge of the Sand Tomb. It reached far down into the pit for Snover’s body and clamped down hard on its head. Snover flailed its arms around in vain as Trapinch pulled as hard as its little body could. It jerked its head back in the air and Snover continued hanging on with its roots. However, a distinct ripping sound could be heard when Trapinch hoisted its head high up in the air, carrying Snover with it. Two torn stubs were where Snover’s root-like feet used to be. Some clear, viscous liquid was slowly pouring out of the feet. Trapinch mercilessly flung its head around, tossing Snover around. In one final effort, Trapinch flung Snover’s body into the pit of sand in the floor. Snover simply spun around in the middle of the pit and couldn’t move.

“What?!” shouted Clair. “My Snover was defeated? Darn it! Oh well, at least I have two more pokemon.” Clair reluctantly pulled out a poke ball from her pocket and returned her fainted Snover.

Meanwhile, Trapinch was panting on its side of the field. “Trapinch, are you okay?” asked Kenny.

“Here, let me ask him,” suggested Duosion. “I can translate. Trapinch, are you okay?”

Kenny’s Trapinch replied, “Trapinch, trap trap pinch Trapinch pinch.”

“What the heck does that mean?” inquired Kenny.

“He says he’s too tired to keep battling,” translated Duosion. “Those attacks took a lot out of him. Ripping the roots right off of that Snover was probably really hard. The hail definitely didn’t help, either.”

“All right, then,” reassured Kenny, “You’ve done enough battling, Trapinch. Come on back.” Kenny held out his golden poke ball and opened it, letting Trapinch back inside.

Pola then growled, “Don’t think this is over! I’ve still got two more pokemon you have to beat!” Pola dug around in her shirt pocket and pulled out a regular poke ball. She tossed it in the air and said, “Piloswine, I choose you!” After the usual burst of white light, what seemed to be a massive lump of brown hair sat on the floor. This beast had a small pig-like nose near the bottom of its body accompanied by two curved, white tusks. Shaggy brown hair completely covered its eyes, as well as the rest of its body.

“Piloswine, the swine pokemon,” explained Kenny’s pokedex by itself. “Its dense coat of fur protects it against freezing cold weather. When it snows, this pokemon’s tusks thicken, helping it to search for food buried under ice.”

“Oh my God,” Clair squealed before Kenny could even take out a pokemon of his own. “That thing is adorable! Look at all its hair! It’s just so cute! I wish I knew where to find one…”

“That thing?” commented Eli, puzzled at Clair’s reaction. “I mean… I wouldn’t exactly say it looks ugly, but Piloswine isn’t exactly the cutest thing I’ve ever seen…”

“Whatever, Peach Cake,” sighed Clair. “I like it.”

Meanwhile, Kenny was choosing a pokemon of his own. He reached down and grasped a regular red and white poke ball off his belt. He tossed it out in the air, and it immediately burst open. Floatzel landed on the floor, growling fiercely at the opponent but whimpering when some chunks of ice bumped its head.

“Come on, Floatzel!” encouraged Kenny. “Try using Surf!”

“Piloswine, retaliate with Take Down!”

Obeying its trainer, Piloswine lifted up the legs concealed under its covering of hair and charged forward at a somewhat surprising speed. However, Floatzel already started its own attack. Floatzel roared menacingly and raised up its paws, causing a wave of water to rise up out of nowhere. It quickly brought down its paws, causing the wall of water to start falling. All of it crashed right down on Piloswine’s body while it galloped toward the enemy. After the foaming white water dispersed, everyone could see that Piloswine was still running at full speed. Taken by surprise, Floatzel took the attack head-on. Piloswine lifted its long tusks in the air on contact, and Floatzel was flung way out behind it. Its slender orange body careened directly into Kenny, who helped soften the fall. Piloswine proudly turned around and started walking back to its side of the field. However, it was soaked to the skin from the Surf attack. Piloswine shivered uncontrollably as it came back. Floatzel was able to nimbly get back up on its feet and trot back over to the field. Kenny, however, had some difficulty in getting up, holding his chest.

“Kenny, are you feeling okay?” inquired Eli anxiously.

“Yeah, I think,” panted Kenny. He lifted up his tee shirt, revealing a large collection of red marks arranged in semicircular patterns.

“That looks kind of painful,” commented Eli.

Pola started barking out orders to her miserably cold Piloswine. “Suck it up, Piloswine! It’s just a bit of water! Now, finish off that Floatzel with a Mud Bomb!”

“Floatzel, use-“ said Kenny, who was suddenly interrupted from his orders by Duosion, who began communicating telepathically again.

Kenny, that Piloswine took a ton of damage from Surf, and it was also hurt by Take Down. It’s probably on the verge of fainting. Don’t try any risky moves. We want to make sure it goes down quickly.

“Good idea,” Kenny acknowledged. “Floatzel, use Swift!”

Piloswine audibly grumbled as it started gathering a brown ball of dirt in front of it. Meanwhile, Floatzel caused a few star-shaped pieces of energy to materialize around it. Floatzel grabbed these stars with its paws and began throwing them off one-by-one. These stars flew through the air, pointed straight at Piloswine. The first few stars struck Piloswine’s Mud Bomb, causing it to explode in the poor pokemon’s face. The rest of the stars flew directly into Piloswine’s face, bursting with light on contact. After all the stars were fired, Piloswine wobbled uneasily and toppled over on its side.

“Crap!” exclaimed Pola. “Crap, crap, crap! I only have one pokemon left!” She grunted loudly as she pulled out Piloswine’s ball, returning it. “Oh well, good thing I saved the best for last!” After stowing away Piloswine’s poke ball, Pola pulled out an identical one and hastily tossed it into the air. “Sealeo, you know the drill!” As expected, once the ball opened, the bulbous blue form of Sealeo emerged onto the field and clapped its flippers together cheerfully.

Instead of giving an order, Kenny just stood there for a few seconds. He waited expectantly, standing in place. Nobody else moved. Even Floatzel and Sealeo were still, waiting to see what Kenny was doing. There was no noise but the clanging of hail on the hard floor.

All of a sudden, Eli broke the semi-silence. “…Kenny? What are you doing?”

“Hm,” grunted Kenny. “Usually, when I see a new pokemon like that Sealeo, my pokedex vibrates to notify me that it updated itself.”

“Oh, yeah,” added Clair. “Eli and I already saw Sealeo last time we were here. I think our pokedexes communicate with each other, sharing their entries for different pokemon.”

“Well, isn’t that convenient!” said Kenny.

“I don’t have time for this!” complained the enraged Pola. “Sealeo, hurry up and use Body Slam!”

“Floatzel, try Crunch!”

Floatzel had the natural speed advantage over Sealeo, so it sprinted forward on all fours toward Sealeo. The target simply sat there, waiting for the attack. Without the least bit of hesitation, Floatzel dug its massive fangs into Sealeo’s blubber. It jiggled a little bit when the attack connected. Sealeo simply sat there and chuckled at Floatzel’s efforts, then crashed its entire body on the poor pokemon who was still holding on.

“Floatzel!” called out Kenny, concerned for the welfare of his pokemon. “What the heck was that? Floatzel’s attack hardly did anything!”

“I bet it’s Sealeo’s Ice Body ability,” advised Clair. “It’s constantly restoring its health.”

Suddenly, Sealeo lifted up its body off of Floatzel. The orange sea weasel pokemon was able to feebly get back on its four legs, the panted over to Kenny’s side of the arena. All the while, its twitched at random intervals and sometimes had trouble moving its limbs.

“Aww, man,” sighed Kenny, “Looks like that Body Slam paralyzed you, Floatzel.” In response, Floatzel looked up at Kenny and whimpered softly.

On the other side of the field, Sealeo was doing just fine. It dug one of its flippers into its fat rolls and pulled out an apple core. Sealeo started nibbling on the apple and subsequently sparkled light blue.

“Dang! That Sealeo’s probably at full health by now!” called Kenny.

“Actually, not quite,” corrected Pola. “Leftovers and Ice Body restore Sealeo’s health pretty slowly. That’s why I need to do this.” Pola then looked over at her pokemon. “Sealeo, use Rest!” In response, Sealeo smiled contentedly and laid its head down on the floor. It closed its eyes and immediately started snoring.

“…It fell asleep?” asked Kenny.

“Not only that, but it’s at perfect health now!” Pola proudly stated.

“Crapple.” Kenny looked down at his paralyzed Floatzel. “Well, I guess Floatzel’s in no position to battle. I better try someone else.” Kenny promptly recalled Floatzel to its poke ball. “Now, who else do I have…”

Duosion’s face lit up for no apparent reason. A wide grin came across its face. “Holy crap!” Duosion exclaimed ecstatically. “Holy crap, holy crap! Kenny! You have to let me battle!”

Kenny looked perplexed. “How come? Wouldn’t it be wiser to use a pokemon with a type advantage?”

“I know, I know, but I just learned a new move and I want to try it out!” insisted Duosion.

“A new move, eh?” Kenny pondered this for a moment. “All right, if you insist. Duosion, I choose you!” Duosion joyfully floated up in front of Kenny. “You better impress me.”

“Oh, don’t worry, I will!” assured Duosion. “Now, watch this!” Duosion once again cracked its fingerless knuckles. Before long, it concentrated hard on Sealeo. All of a sudden, Sealeo’s sleeping body turned gray and a low hum could be heard throughout the room.

“…What the heck is that?” inquired Kenny.

“Only my new move, Heal Block!” exclaimed Duosion. “What a convenient time to learn it, too! Now Sealeo can’t gain health from hail or leftovers!”

“Wow, that is convenient,” Kenny conceded. “We sure are lucky to have you, Duosion.”

“You got that right, bub!” replied Duosion. “Now, watch me finish off this sucker! First, we’ll start off with a Future Sight attack, since we don’t want to wake up our sleeping beauty quite yet.” Duosion intently stared at Sealeo, who was still fast asleep and snoring loudly. Duosion released its concentration at once.

“Now, why don’t we try nudging it awake with a little Psyshock?” Duosion started concentrating once again. Out of thin air, some purple balls of psychic energy formed around Sealeo. Once a large cloud of them was gathered around, they started flying straight at Sealeo’s body one-by-one. Sealo’s body was jostled back and forth violently by the attack. Once the attack was done, Sealeo shook itself awake and immediately reached for its apple core. It picked up the morsel in its flipper and began to chew on it. However, a look of utter disgust came over Sealeo’s face as it bit into the apple. It spit out a few partially-chewed chunks and decided not to eat any more.

“Well, I guess Heal Block is working,” commented Duosion. “And now, ladies and gentlemen, the grand finale!”

“Sealeo!” shouted Pola with rage. “Quickly, get rid of this wisecracking Duosion with Ice Ball!”

“Duosion, do something!” Kenny called out.

“I don’t really want to,” replied Duosion. In response, Kenny put his hand to his face and watched the events unfold. Sealeo curled its tail around, grabbing it with its flippers. Sealeo then made itself into a ball shape and began rolling slowly toward the other side of the field. It rapidly picked up speed and began moving at a fast pace; by the time it was almost at Duosion, it was moving incredibly quickly.

“Duosion, come on!” pleaded Kenny. Duosion acknowledged Kenny’s orders by producing a bubble of gas in its cytoplasm from its rear end, sending this bubble out and causing it to release putrid air right in Kenny’s face.

Right before Sealeo got to Duosion, its body became enveloped in a pink aura. Its movement suddenly became erratic and its eventually stopped spinning altogether. It unfolded itself from its ball position and grabbed its head with its flippers, flailing around in pain. Sealeo finally flung itself onto the floor and stopped struggling. The pink glow disappeared.

“And thus, the war is won,” Duosion said. Pola put her hands to her face in disappointment and said nothing.

“Are you going to be okay over there?” called out Kenny.

“Just get out!” cried Pola. She ran over to the back wall of the gym and opened up a metal panel, pressing a large red button in the wall. From below Kenny, Eli, and Clair, three respective metal panels rose out of the ground. The group was pushed upward through a hole in the ceiling with Duosion following close behind. When they all went through the ceiling, they found themselves back at the entrance to the gym.

“What?” Clair said, dumbfounded. “We don’t even get any badges for that? What a hothead.”

“I don’t know about you guys,” said Eli, hugging his body, “But I’ve had enough cold for today. Can’t we come back here and sort this out some other time?”

Kenny moaned quietly. “All right, fine. I guess we can stay in this dumb town a little bit longer. But if Pola doesn’t give us our badges, then I swear I’ll sic my Gyarados on her.”

The trio made their way out the sliding glass door of the gym. The door closed behind them and they dejectedly ambled down the street toward their motel room.

All of a sudden, while they were walking, the gym door opened up behind them. The trio jerked their heads around to look. The door was wide open, revealing the spacious interior of the gym, but nobody stood in the doorway. Without warning, three objects flew out the door at blinding speed and struck Kenny, Eli, and Clair right on their heads. These objects clattered on the ground. Meanwhile, three light blue disks were stuck in Duosion’s gelatinous body.

“Ow, what the flesh?” complained Kenny. He reached down at the ground and picked up a small metal object. It was colored light blue and shaped vaguely like an icicle. A small piece of paper was stuck to the badge. Kenny took it off and read it to himself:

“I hate you. –Pola”

“Wow, that’s friendly,” commented Kenny sarcastically, tossing the note aside.

“Well, looks like Pola kept her promise!” added Eli cheerfully. “Looks like we have another badge to add to our collection.”

“Hey, what about our TMs?” inquired Clair. “Usually we get TMs for beating a gym.”

“Over here,” Duosion called out. The trio walked over and pulled the blue disks out of Duosion’s cytoplasm, then read the labels.

“'Frost Breath,'” Kenny read out loud. “’Guaranteed to score a critical hit.’ Wow, that seems pretty useful. Too bad I don’t have any ice-types.” Everyone stowed away these three disks inside their backpacks.

Duosion said, “Well, looks like we don’t have to spend any more time in this crummy town.”

“You got that right,” Kenny added. “Come on guys, let’s surf on back to Monopolis and find another gym.” Following Kenny’s advice, the group followed him down the road of Coraline town over toward the ocean. Along the way, Eli took his Hoothoot back out of its poke ball to sit on his shoulder and enjoy the sights as the group got away from Coraline town for the last time.

Last edited:

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
Well, I'm happy to see you've posted the next gym battle chapter! It's really good too. Pola's reaction to losing was hilarious. I always get pissed of when my opponents use heal block in Black and white, since my Sceptile is awesome with synthesis when I combine it with sunny day.[/rant] Good job anyway. See ya next chapter!