• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Superspeed Vikavolt! The Awakening of Sophocles!! (1062)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
1062.jpg

Superspeed Vikavolt! The Awakening of Sophocles!!

A special Vikavolt race is being held and so Sophocles starts working on his capabilities with his Vikavolt so they can win. However, when the race begins, he learns that Horacio will also be participating with his Vikavolt which makes the situation even more tense. However, Team Rocket soon appear with a dark scheme to win as well. Who will win the race and get the Buginium Z being offered as a prize?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

nuzamaki90

Oh boy for a race episode this was a snooze fest

Animation was really jarring and that kind of took the enjoyment out of this for me. Constant stills and Vikavolt’s looking like they are just being dragged across the screen just took me out haha

But yeah, Z-Ring for Sophy, that’s cool I guess

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
I had forgotten the plot point of Sophocles fearing the dark. What a time to resolve that phobia.
I thought that issue was already solved in a previous episode (the one were Vikavolt evolved).

As for the episode itself, there is nothing to write about it, as the plot was a standard 'young kids' styled one.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
As for the episode itself, there is nothing to write about it, as the plot was a standard 'young kids' styled one.

I didn't see it that way. I thought it was beautifully written except for one scene.

We had a training montage with both Vikavolt and Sophocles, where the two had to stay focused and not get distracted by food. Sophocles had a time to shine with his plan working out when the winds interfered with the race. Horacio also matured and clearly respected Sophocles now, not insulting him when they met and coming back to help him and the other racers.

The "awakening" in the title refers to him conquering his fear, because his dream (as revealed in this episode) is to go into space. The eternal darkness. This was his step forward toward making that a reality.

The only thing I'd change is having Vikavolt learn Agility to surpass Horacio's Shiny Vikavolt, since the last leg of the race didn't have much tension to me. Win or lose I lost investment in the outcome after what had happened in the tunnel.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I liked how Soph and his rival seem to be on friendly terms, you didn't really see that with Cilan and Burgundy or Iris and Georgia. The two females were basically left hating Cilan and Iris with no conclusion... nice a character without a big goal got to have a proper ending to their rivalry for once. Hopefully they let the third wheel of the Sword/Shield gang have a rival and don't skip a gen with that again. It's a really nice concept, and gives them more to do.

Sophocles' has had pretty much solid episodes, this was likely his last but it's a good enough one to end it with. 8.5/10 Vikavolts
It is disappointing though how the TRio, Lana, and Lillie all got their z-rings and crystals in separate episodes... and now they're just shoving both into Soph and Mallow's hands at the very end. It really could have used some balancing out...

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
pretty great episode with what seems to be some pretty great development and bonding for soph and vikavolt (I say seems because IDK what they're saying), and the race itself was pretty fun, but man, the animation was bad for the most part, it was almost completely just dragging the vikavolts across the background

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Back when he debuted, I never expected Hayate to show up again. Not only did he show up twice afterward, but developed from a generic rich snob to someone who actually treats Sophocles with respect, even outright referring to him as his rival. Honestly, if this is his last appearance, it's a good sendoff.

I don't want to bring up BW, but this is what should've happened with the likes of Georgia and Burgundy. It was really frustrating how they mostly battled people that weren't their rivals and then the show tossed them to the gutter after the Junior Cup because they weren't Ash's rivals.

Sophocles earned that Z-Ring. I also liked that they brought up his dream of being an astronaut as a way of overcoming his fear of the dark (mostly). It's pretty dark in space, so in retrospect, what seemed like a cute little character flaw/gag actually did end up being important. Also, Hapu acknowledged him again, continuing the character development she had back during the Poni arc.

Also, Jessie can't say Pokemon names again, like with Hippopotas back in DP.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I don't care for the snobby guy hardly but at the same time, it's funny how in a less battle-oriented series manages to close off a rivalry unlike BW that couldn't do such a thing.

Also glad Vikavolt has a personality still! SM does well making more stoic-like Pokemon having nice personalities.

p96822

Evolve me please
Another Sunday and another disappointing episode. I really don't care about Sophocles, his rival or his Vikavolt that I find this episode to be really bland. Even though I don't care about there pre evolution race I though that race was far better then this race because it had more thing to look out for, changing the weather and fixing the cart. I felt the Charjabug race was far more interesting then the Vikavolt race.

Now that the anime said that one of Vikavolt's food sources is the same as Heracross and Pinsir. I would love to see a battle between Ash's Heracross and Sophocles's Vikavolt fighting over honey. Not only that Sophocles's Vikavolt used Ash's Heracross gag, but Vikavolt did the same thing to Sophocles when Ash won against Nando in the Sinnoh League. Which I found that far more interesting then anything of the race of Vikavolts.

@lolipiece I kind of disagree and agree with you on Sophocles's rival. I agree with you that him respecting Sopholes was a good thing and the Black and White rivals wasn't given that same treatment, however I disagree with you because I found the interaction of the Black and White rivals are far more memorable rival compared to Sophocles. I think that I felt that Hayate was really bland in all his appearances so far in the series. In my opinion I didn't care about the send off when he is so forgettable. Not to be rude or anything, but I treat interacting more then the send off. With the only thing of Sophocles not being afaird of the dark anymore I don't really care about this episode one way or another

So with this I give this episode a 4/10

OniCornwalis

Honestly, this episode might be one of the best in the series.

Both Sophocles and Vikavolt got good character development, the rivalry with Hayate was handled extremely well, the pacing in this episode was great, and it felt like Sophocles EARNED the Z-crystal and Z-ring. The only bad part of the episode was that the animation in some areas of this episode were somewhat lacking.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Honestly, this episode might be one of the best in the series.

Both Sophocles and Vikavolt got good character development, the rivalry with Hayate was handled extremely well, the pacing in this episode was great, and it felt like Sophocles EARNED the Z-crystal and Z-ring. The only bad part of the episode was that the animation in some areas of this episode were somewhat lacking.
to be fair to the visuals, the storyboarding was amazing throughout the episode, which kinda salvages the bad animation

KurashiDragon

Well-known Dragonite Enthusiast
I don't know if it was ever mentioned previously that Sophocles' dream was to be an astronaut. Even still it makes sense with his experience with Minior, Rayquaza, and the Observatory in general and gives him some interesting development with his relation to his fear of the dark. I do kinda wish that he was more serious about overcoming it up to this point though sense he had that dream or maybe revealed it earlier *such as in the Minior episode* so this scene could be changed a bit and he could realize how silly it is for an astronaut to be afraid of the dark. It's fine though. I enjoyed this development.

As for the episode itself, I usually enjoy the episodes with Charjabug / Vikavolt and this one wasn't really any different. There wasn't much excitement but it was enjoyable throughout. My favorite moment was Sophocles getting sidetracked over food and Vikavolt pulling him away. That was fun. Also, the previously mentioned revealed dream scene even though I think it could've been done better.

8 / 10

DatsRight

@KurashiDragon I believe it was mentioned before in the Sandshrew episode. It's been a pretty minor thing but I appreciate it got a call back.

Anyway, another fun Charjabug/Vikavolt episode. I love we get some Vikavolt character displays here, with the thing acting practically like Sophocles big affectionate dog (especially during the extra segment where it nearly crushes Sophocles jumping onto his bed XD). Love how it shares Sophocles' glutton as well.

The character development with Horacio was unexpected but nicely done, it's a shame he only appeared in three episodes really, though it was nice one of the students got a recurring rival that even got CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. Team Rocket expectedly butted in, but they didn't feel too intrusive and generic in their scheme, being just threatening enough to play on the two's respective rivalry. Odd how TR's intrusions have actually been better written in this last season of SM, usually its the other way round. The race itself didn't feel as creative as the Charjabug one, but I liked they slipped in odd intense bits like Sophocles using String Shot to avoid being blown out of course and Sophocles overcoming his phobia in the cave. I also like the detail that they point out this isn't a bro episode with the others helping out this time. Sophocles has slowly evolved to do things on his own.

Even the animation wasn't THAT bad, nothing worse than the standard slightly static animation of the anime, just recently we've been used to really dynamic stuff. Even then we do get some good shots here and there.

Only complaints are that the returning champion more or less became a non entity by the end of the episode despite being built up. Also yeah, Hapu seemed kinda forced in to hastily give Sophocles his Z Ring in the same episode as his Bugium Z, but look, Ash got his in the most contrived way at the start of the series, that's less my problem. I just hope they find more for him to do with it than Lana and Team Rocket.

I can't believe no one mentioned the actual full on AG/DP style boss fantasy, with TR imagining Giovanni using the Vikavolt herd as a FREAKING SLED. The only thing missing was Meowth's bad imitation of Giovanni. We're slowly getting there. XD

The only thing I'd change is having Vikavolt learn Agility to surpass Horacio's Shiny Vikavolt, since the last leg of the race didn't have much tension to me. Win or lose I lost investment in the outcome after what had happened in the tunnel.

I kinda preferred they didn't go that route, since it would make it seem like Sophocles won by plot armour than his own merits. Him training for Agility during the first act might have been a good way about it, but otherwise I'm fine Sophocles showing he can work well with what he has.

He will of course now need to learn a bug move if he wants to use that Bugium Z however.

Last edited: