• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Superspeed Vikavolt! The Awakening of Sophocles!! (1062)

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Mildly tempted to go back and re-sound the racing sections with podracing sounds, because that was the weakest race in the history of anime

Heck, the prevolution race had more effort put into it
I really wonder what's with the weak animation lately (even 120 was kinda weak by iwane standards), I hope that means good things for the league

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
Wow Sophocles was amazing here, which I didn't think I'd say. I don't necessarily like him or Vikavolt, but man was I happy to see them work together in the race and I think I've gained new appreciation for the Grubbin line.

AuraGuardian448

Aura Guardian
Not too bad an episode. I complain about this every-time I see it, and rightfully so, but goddammit again with the nonsensical reactions Pikachu gives after being electrocuted by other Pokemon! This is something Best Wishes handled differently but perfectly and the best in the entire anime series yet XY and S&M stepped back on for some dumb reason.

Leonhart

Imagineer
AuraGuardian448 said:
Not too bad an episode. I complain about this every-time I see it, and rightfully so, but goddammit again with the nonsensical reactions Pikachu gives after being electrocuted by other Pokemon! This is something Best Wishes handled differently but perfectly and the best in the entire anime series yet XY and S&M stepped back on for some dumb reason.

I don't recall any particular instances from XY where Pikachu reacted to being electrocuted, but his reactions in SM to practically any situation that he's put in are probably based on the overall emphasis on facial expressions in SM.

Vipsoccermaster

Fine episode. Race was okay, but Sophocles was great in the race, especially saving the captured race competitors from Team Rocket. Great to see Sophocles finally getting Buginium Z and a Z-Ring for his efforts during the race.

And Horacio, that is great sportsmanship at the end.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
So did Sophocles just invent this or did everyone in the race have the VR?

Love hearing Emily Bauer's voice as this announcer in Alola whenever she appears. Makes me nostalgic for the days of Dawn, especially since her character is blue-haired here too.

I don't understand why Vikavolt couldn't just glow in the dark the way Charjabug used to.

It is disappointing though how the TRio, Lana, and Lillie all got their z-rings and crystals in separate episodes... and now they're just shoving both into Soph and Mallow's hands at the very end. It really could have used some balancing out...

Reminds me of how they crammed in Marley and Buck at the very end of Sinnoh League Victors after realizing they had done the other 3 stat trainers and they were running out of time to do all 5 stat trainers in DP. That was even less excusable since they had FOUR years in DP.

Also, Jessie can't say Pokemon names again, like with Hippopotas back in DP.

What does this mean?

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
So did Sophocles just invent this or did everyone in the race have the VR?

Everyone had it. It's specifically for the race.

What does this mean?

Back in the Hippopotas episode of Diamond and Pearl, Jessie would pronounce Hippopotas incorrectly each time she said it.

This joke comes back with her unable to say "Kuwagannon". I'm going to assume the dub didn't keep it?

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I'm going to assume the dub didn't keep it?
It's possible it was kept and I just didn't realize because half the time I ignore TR because I hate them. lol

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
Mildly tempted to go back and re-sound the racing sections with podracing sounds, because that was the weakest race in the history of anime

Heck, the prevolution race had more effort put into it
I also had a pod racing flashback for a little while there.

Building machines to simulate riding on the pokemon seems a little convoluted and overly complicated but I still find the idea somewhat intriguing. Many air borne species have been able to FLY trainers around for a long time but I do wonder what it would be like to ride around with a smaller pokemon. The games did not really elaborate on the specifics in great detail.

This is shaping up to be a rough region for Team Rocket. Outside of some occasional bright spots they are getting more and more outmatched with each episode. Although the usual expected outcome is for their schemes to fail, I would prefer it if they could stay above pure cannon fodder status even if just by a little. I am a bit conflicted with their plans for the race. While it was good that they tried to steal some pokemon, I get the feeling that they might have been able to win the race if James and Meowth had tried to.

(they were cheating with a fake Vikavolt but still)

Great episode for Sophocles and Vikavolt. I love Vikavolt!