• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Superspeed Vikavolt! The Awakening of Sophocles!! (1062)

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
We all know the animation budget is going into next week, anyway. Heck, I bet the 120 preview probably cost more than all of 119.
that's just because iwane is iwane and everything he does looks great

Lightning Bolt

Wow, what a great episode! Mamane and Kuwagannon are such a nice team! Mamane episodes are always good imo because they are simple but charming and lovable at the same time. Good to see Hayate as well. I don't know if this is his last appearance tbh. I would like to see a "Mamane vs Hayate" battle in the league. Like lolipiece said, Mamane's fear of darkness started as a cute gag, but turned out to be source of good development for him. Giovanni's fantasy it's finally back! TRio plot was pretty solid but ended going awdry by Mamane and Hayate. But the animation was my least favorite aspect of this episode tbh. The animation for the Charjabug race episode and the Vikavolt evolution episode were way better honestly. I saw many people here saying that the animation for this ep would be top-notch cuz the animator here worked on Naruto vs Pain, but it wasn't too amazing. The Champion Derossa and the Electric Princess girl should've gotten more screentime. I'm very happy Sophy finally got a Z-Ring and a Z-Crystal. I think by the end of SM he will have Eletrium, Buginium and Steelium-Z.

Anyway, I'll give this episode a 8.8. Very enjoyable episode. Can't wait to see more of Mamane and Kuwagannon!!

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Who past the age of 5 is scared of the dark? Seems really basic

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Another thing I liked that someone pointed out to me is Sophocles' selflessness.

He told Hayate to run after saving him, essentially giving the guy the race. Not only did Hayate come back, but they stayed to let the other caught-up racers have a chance at winning. Both could have easily booked it, but they didn't.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
This episode reminds me of the XYZ episode where Ash's then-Noibat participates in a flying-type race. Again with Team Rocket causing a disturbance during the race, except the spotlights goes to Sophocles instead of Ash and he's winning as well, unlike the latter.

I kinda like how Sophocles's rival was all nice at the end despite losing the race by shaking hands which gives a good sportmanship, instead of being a sore loser. Of course Sophocles saved him from Team Rocket's trap inside the cave, which contributes his change of heart of their rivalry.

Who past the age of 5 is scared of the dark? Seems really basic
I don't think I would make fun of people being scared of the dark, especially in an unfamiliar environment. Who knows what kind of hazard lies ahead? And it goes to Sophocles advantage because he delays his progress for his own safety unlike the others who wandered ahead and fell into Team Rocket's trap.

Good episode overall. Especially that Sophocles got rewarded not only a Z-Crystal at the race but also the Z-Ring from Hapu.

Last edited:

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Adults are still somehow scared of Buznut the Neighborhood Clown along with clowns in general. Fine!
i'm not an adult until the end of this year, so does that mean that I don't have much time to request his clowny services?

pancakemonster

Alola...home...
I think I would have appreciated Sophocles being scared a lot more in that scene if he had actually been present in the cave. I can imagine suddenly feeling trapped in there during this race in the dark being pretty tense, but he was only seeing what Vikavolt was. He could have just taken the headset off and told Vikavolt to feel it out for a bit. Or at least peeked out just to mentally remind himself he wasn't actually there.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I think I would have appreciated Sophocles being scared a lot more in that scene if he had actually been present in the cave. I can imagine suddenly feeling trapped in there during this race in the dark being pretty tense, but he was only seeing what Vikavolt was. He could have just taken the headset off and told Vikavolt to feel it out for a bit. Or at least peeked out just to mentally remind himself he wasn't actually there.
to be fair, he's in a closed, small dark room in reality

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Liked the premise of this episode but the race itself felt so boring until the final stretch

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Yes! You already know that I’m invested in this episode just for James!
... oh wait, I forgot. This is not just a Sophocles episode but a TR bogus plan included episode too. This episode was boring. Seriously, why can’t James enter in and compete with the boys yet Jessie can with May and Dawn?! So unfair.

I’m sorry but that has got to be the lamest excuse for Sophocles to get a Z Ring! On the bright side, at least when Mao chan gets her rightly earned and positively engaging Z Ring story, it can’t nor won’t be as bad as Sophocles’.

Congrats Sophocles, you got over your dumb fear of the dark and got a Z Ring. Bravo.

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
Yes! You already know that I’m invested in this episode just for James!
... oh wait, I forgot. This is not just a Sophocles episode but a TR bogus plan included episode too. This episode was boring. Seriously, why can’t James enter in and compete with the boys yet Jessie can with May and Dawn?! So unfair.

I’m sorry but that has got to be the lamest excuse for Sophocles to get a Z Ring! On the bright side, at least when Mao chan gets her rightly earned and positively engaging Z Ring story, it can’t nor won’t be as bad as Sophocles’.

Congrats Sophocles, you got over your dumb fear of the dark and got a Z Ring. Bravo.

Damn...that is not what I expected from you, to say the last.

You...don't like Sophocles very much, do you?

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Damn...that is not what I expected from you, to say the last.

You...don't like Sophocles very much, do you?
It’s not like I don’t like him, I honestly was just bored out of my mind in this episode so if anything, I took the bait by jumping to wishful conclusions when I saw the trailer and misled myself. (Fun fact: I wrote the first sentence before I watched the actual episode.) I’m not much of a fan of his “I’m afraid of the dark” moments (though I did like him repeating that his dream was to be an astronaut so he has to get over his fear) and I’m not a fan of the TRio being inserted with some dumb plan we know is going to fail. Not only is it dumb but also lazily predictable. Plus the race was boring in and of itself. Sorry for disappointing you, while I do love SM and the majority of it’s episodes, this one was just not it.

I don’t care about Sophocles. He’s not a character I like nor do I dislike. I do love his Togedemaru and did like the Denjimushi race episode and the episode where he was going to leave if it helps.

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
It’s not like I don’t like him, I’m honestly was just bored out of my mind in this episode so if anything, I took the bait by jumping to wishful conclusions when I saw the trailer and misled myself. (Fun fact: I wrote the first sentence before I watched the actual episode.) I’m not much of his “I’m afraid of the dark” moments (though I did like him repeating that his dream was to be an astronaut so he hasn’t I get over his fear) and I’m not a fan of the TRio being inserted with some dumb plan we know is going to fail. Not only is it dumb but also lazily predicted. Plus the race was boring in and of itself. Sorry for disappointing you, while I do love SM and the majority of it’s episodes, this one was just not it.

I don’t care about Sophocles. He’s not a character I like nor do I dislike. I do love his Togedemaru and did like the Denjimushi race episode and the episode where he was going to leave if it helps.

“Disappointed?” I was just curious; I thought you of all people would love this episode, especially since a lot of people liked it. Sorry if I made you feel that way.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Honestly, this was a good episode even though I wasn't fond of the whole racing aspect since it's been done before. Maamane deserved the spotlight, and this was a chance for him to advance a bit.