• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

surf absorbers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

siburke939

<------ my 1st shiny
overview:

;134; ;131; ;226; ;195; ;062; ;186;

okay here goes my little gimmick team:

;134; VAPOREON
Modest (Razor Claw)
188Def/252SpA/68Spe
Surf
Ice Beam
Signal Beam
Toxic

;131; LAPRAS
Modest (NeverMeltIce)
192HP/112Def/160SpA/44Spe
Surf
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Confuse Ray

;226; MANTINE
Calm (Sharp Beak)
252HP/252SpD/4Spe
Surf
Air Cutter
Ice Beam
Confuse Ray

;195; QUAGSIRE
Relaxed (Soft Sand)
252HP/96Atk/160Def/
Surf
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Yawn

;062; POLIWRATH
Relaxed (Quick Claw)
252HP/164Atk/92Def
Surf
Brick Break
Ice Punch
Toxic

;186; POLITOED
Calm (Odd Incense)
252HP/4SpA/252SpD
Surf
Focus Blast
Psychic
Toxic

things that stay:
1) the members - they're the 6 fully evolved pokemon with water absorb so no changes there
2) surf - essential move in the team
3) EV's/natures - they're all at level 100 so sod starting over! (suggestions still welcome though if they're way off the mark)

i'm quite happy with the movesets, but would appreciate any advice on them as i feel they're missing at times (politoed often struggles alone)

i don't know what their roles in the team will be so please don't whine that i haven't put them in as guess what - I KNOW! i would appreciate help with that if anyone can advise on who should lead, etc

the items were literally picked at random & thrown on them! the quick claw has served me well on poliwrath & may be handy on quagsire, but the rest need a total overhaul so all recommendations will definitely be considered - no duplicate items though please

(they've got nicknames already but hey throw one in & i may change them!)

my main place to use them will be PBR random battles (just for fun - nothing competitive) so focusing towards combating poorly trained legendaries would be handy...

tia :)

Drybones446

That Photography Guy
OK.
First off, this team is a gimmick team, so this isn't competitive.
Competitive/Online =/=Random PBR battles.

Second, hax items (Quick Claw, Razor Claw) are banned from Standard play.

Vaporeon could use Protect along with Leftovers for recovery.

Poliwrath can put Vaccuum Wave to good use.

siburke939

<------ my 1st shiny
you say it's not competitive just because it's gimmicky but i do well with it online - point me to the random PBR battle RMT section & i'll repost there - but until then...

are quick claw & razor claw really "banned" or is that some smogon BS? i don't do unwritten rules - any suggestions for alternative items are always welcome though

which move would you delete from vaporeon to get protect in? surf & toxic are obvious keepers & i know you'll probably say lose signal beam but it's served me well vs the likes of ludicolo & darkrai to name a couple... but ice beam is nice! help!?!

Drybones446

That Photography Guy
No, not Smogon BS.
Its in Serebii too. As long as it is competitive, hax items are banned.
Leftovers for Vap, and, uh...Mystic water for Poliwrath?

Blue Ace

Pokemon is Dead
Gimmick teams are against the rules so this thread doesn't deserve to be open anyway.

benttwig33

Forum n00b!
I say any pokemon you want to use, and ANY item are FINE. If you can use them in game, you can use them online. That is total BS about being "banned".

Anyway, I still say get different items, those are just terrible. How about some Life Orbs/Leftovers/Focus Sashes etc? You can find stuff better than mystic water and sharp beak...etc..

siburke939

<------ my 1st shiny
gimmick teams are against "the rules" are they? this team has beat many "HARDCORE!!11!!" teams so how about stop spamming

yeah i do really need help with the items - i like the quick claw (is that banned or just frowned upon by people with all superninjapokes???) so that's gonna stay unless a better idea comes up - but the other dudes need help desperately - maybe a focus sash & focus band for mantine/quaqsire? or the berries to weaken electric/grass moves? them 2 with their double weaknesses suffer frequently (mantine has great SpD so he can take hits from the common electric attacks - but quagsire gets served when a grass attack is in play)

ijea4444

Type boosting hold items are weak and have no use in competative play. You should throw in a scarf to one of your pokemon to make you Surf's fast. Or an agility on one of your pokemon. With so much surfs flying around you may want to consider adding substitute on some of you bulky pokemon as the 1/4 HP will be replenished by 1 Surf. You should also have something to take care of Grass types and Electric types, they will be huge hassels.

Blue Ace

Pokemon is Dead
gimmick teams are against "the rules" are they? this team has beat many "HARDCORE!!11!!" teams so how about stop spamming

Yes they are.

10. No gimmick teams whatsoever.

* What is a gimmick? A gimmick is a set or strategy that is any of these: only useful situationally, reliant on unlikely battle conditions, novelty to the point of sacrificing competitive viability, or in general uncompetitive.

siburke939

<------ my 1st shiny
Yes they are.

okay let's address this...

"A gimmick is a set or strategy that is any of these:"

"only useful situationally,"
(nice made up word btw) this doesn't apply to my team any more than other teams - the "gimmick" is that they all know surf & they all absorb water moves - the only situation where my "gimmick" doesn't apply is where i'm on my last pokemon

"reliant on unlikely battle conditions,"
100% n/a

"novelty to the point of sacrificing competitive viability,"
i've said before (is response to your last bit of pointless spam) that i've beaten many MANY terms with my strategy - maybe i should change the word "gimmick" to "strategy" as that's what every strategy is essentially: a gimmick (saying otherwise would be incredibly pedantic of you)

"or in general uncompetitive."
yeah when anyone posts a team of 6 magikarps with splash as their only move then this rule will apply (duh)

so come back with advise on what i asked for please or go play elsewhere okay bye now :)

MajorGambit

Your team is pathetic. Totally pathetic. The strategy... WAIT! There's not strategy! The team is wiped by so many OU threats is not even worth mentioning. The moveset it ridiculous. All pokes know the same move? WTF??

You understand nothing about competitve. UU teams can take down this one. Seriously, before coming here posting a crap team like that and being rude to a certified rater and experienced player, STFU and go to smogon so that you can be less ridiculous at this game.

siburke939

<------ my 1st shiny
Your team is pathetic. Totally pathetic. The strategy... WAIT! There's not strategy! The team is wiped by so many OU threats is not even worth mentioning. The moveset it ridiculous. All pokes know the same move? WTF??

You understand nothing about competitve. UU teams can take down this one. Seriously, before coming here posting a crap team like that and being rude to a certified rater and experienced player, STFU and go to smogon so that you can be less ridiculous at this game.

somebody has sand in their vagina...

Reno

so adorable...
Closing this.

1. It is a gimmick team. That means it is stupidly limited to what you can use to fix the team, not to mention absurd in OU where it would be used.

2. You are an arrogant tool.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.