• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Survival Project (PG-13)

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
I read the chapter, but I didn't do a breakdown as I went, so I'm just going to give my thoughts. :)

You did it again; you took one of the characters I was disinterested in and evoked feelings from me. And Renny really started having his own voice this time. He came off as more innocent and naive, yet full of heart and desire, even if his courage and strength can't match them. I told you my earlier problem with Rennio was he didn't sound like a "new" character yet that really seemed set-apart from early Senori or Atis, but I think you did build him as his own character here.

Ezrem remains a mystery; he threw himself in harm's way to save Rennio? I wouldn't have seen that coming before. It was heartfelt to see that kind of move from him. Perhaps he felt too guilty for goading Rennio into such a dangerous battle, but still... it seems different than what I've imagined.

There was some writing here I didn't think flowed well and some lines I had to re-read to follow well. One example in particular is:

So I could tell anyone that what could have been tasted like sand, which made me ache for something to drink as my conscious dragged me across a desert of regret. What should have been tasted like salt water, which made ships roar out to the stars in the dead of night, hoping to be answered so it wouldn’t have to feel so alone on the big blue sea.

I had to read that about a half dozen times in several different inflections to figure out what Rennio was saying.

A section that hit me hard:

“I can’t tell you,” Sai said quietly, finally looking away. “I had… business to take care of. If I could have taken you guys along, I would have. I would have put you all in your pokéballs or something. But be glad you stayed where you were.”

“Why? Being wild pokémon when we belong to a trainer is no fun at all,” I said, shuddering at the idea all over again.

“Maybe one day, you’ll come with me, and you’ll regret you ever did.”

That... is Sai TOTALLY admitting he *IS* going to leave again at some point, right? I was shocked by that, but I guess Sai has never lied to his pokemon before, so why would he lie about that? Still... is it foreshadowing? Or just Sai being dreadful? Can't decide!

Another very good chapter, as per usual. I'm... GUESSING Ezrem is next? It seems a while since we've heard from him.

uberHexagon

Oshawatching you...
Just read the first chapter and I absolutely love it. There is nothing more for me to say.

diamondpearl876

Sidewinder

Sorry it took me so long pair. <3!

You’re cute, so I forgive you.

ARGH! I hate that I saw your banner before it actually happened!

I’m sorry! I waited two weeks to release the banner.

Your version of Whitney seems pretty preachy, so it works I guess. Ordinarily though, I'd advise against using such a long sentence in the middle of battle. You dig?

Makes sense. I’m reading the pokémon adventures manga right now and they always talk so much during the middle of the battle, it’s weird. So… I dig.

LOL, I can see a normal, inexperienced trainer saying something like that, but with Sai, it means so much more than confusion and excitement to me. It goes to show that once again, he's out of his element, and has only the slightest idea what he doing. I may be out of sorts here, but that sentence really showed me more of Sai.

It does show Sai. You’d think that after all this time he could manage a simple battle, but nah. He’d rather stay on the sidelines and do nothing.

You're such an annoyingly amazing writer, you know that? Anyway, the portion I quoted is something I feel like any person could sympathize with, and I really responded to it

WHY THANK YOU.

The pauses really added to the gravity of what Sai was talking about, so good job on that. I'm not sure if this is the second, or third time you've mentioned that Sai thinks people are following him, but it's infuriatingly mysterious, and I really, really like it

This is probably the third or fourth time now. He’s a paranoid dork.

I still say he's a ****ing robot and needed his electricity fix, but whatever, I'm just going to go sit and play with my theories in the corner

Sai takes great offense to this. *CRY*

There it is again. NVM, I forgot that you had a bachelor's in being cryptic haha

Oh, so THAT’S what I’m going to college for.

I really can't imagine a worse opponent for Rennio. Really though, that sounds awful. The expression and words he used when it happened were spot on and it gave a perfect peek into his mind and emotions. You should be proud of that

Exactly what I was going for. Fire-type pokémon? Bad memories. Fully evolved? Doesn’t even know how to battle a caterpie. It makes for great tragedy.

Thanks for commenting!

Sid87

You did it again; you took one of the characters I was disinterested in and evoked feelings from me. And Renny really started having his own voice this time. He came off as more innocent and naive, yet full of heart and desire, even if his courage and strength can't match them. I told you my earlier problem with Rennio was he didn't sound like a "new" character yet that really seemed set-apart from early Senori or Atis, but I think you did build him as his own character here.

I feel vaguely proud of this right now.

Ezrem remains a mystery; he threw himself in harm's way to save Rennio? I wouldn't have seen that coming before. It was heartfelt to see that kind of move from him. Perhaps he felt too guilty for goading Rennio into such a dangerous battle, but still... it seems different than what I've imagined.

It seems everyone was too quick to judge Ezrem as a “bad” character.

That... is Sai TOTALLY admitting he *IS* going to leave again at some point, right? I was shocked by that, but I guess Sai has never lied to his pokemon before, so why would he lie about that? Still... is it foreshadowing? Or just Sai being dreadful? Can't decide!

That really is Sai admitting it. Strange, huh? Guess we’ll see what happens.

Another very good chapter, as per usual. I'm... GUESSING Ezrem is next? It seems a while since we've heard from him.

Who else could it be? Mr. oh-god-I’m-shiny-what-the-**** will come through next.

Thanks for commenting!

UberHexagon

Just read the first chapter and I absolutely love it. There is nothing more for me to say.

I’m glad you like it! Hope it inspires you to read the rest of the fic when you have time…

diamondpearl876

SURVIVAL PROJECT
chapter 20 ; [EZREM]
mentality

*​

It was unbelievable, the way the world had been keeping such a huge secret from me. This was how everyone repaid me for all the damage I had done? I wanted to deny it. I had started trying to be a good pokémon... I was staying away from Kuiora, because she was so much better than me and I didn't want to taint her further... I was trying to help Rennio by encouraging him in my own way... I literally took the heat for him and everything!

At least Sai displayed some affection toward me. He backtracked to the Pokémon Center despite his hurry to reach Ecruteak City... He handed me to the nurse as she said my wing was burnt.

My head was reeling, and I may have vomited once or twice. My one wing ached. As for the other one... Well, I wouldn't have minded it being amputated if it meant the pain would subside.

The nurse brought me into the back room. There were plenty of beds, some filled with sick pokémon, others empty and cleaned. Next to each bed stood a large machine used to heal pokémon in need.

I was certainly a pokémon in need, but the nurse didn't hook me up to the machine. She set me on a metal counter and told me to relax. She said everything was going to be okay. I couldn't believe her. Her voice sounded too sad.

“Everything will be okay,” she said again. She stepped out of the room and returned with a glass of water. “Drink this. Keep yourself hydrated,” she said, holding it so I could take a couple sips.

She went over to the far wall, grabbed a pair of gloves and put them on. I flinched as I thought about her messing with my wings, but at first she only mumbled to herself about how my feathers had been charred off, and how the skin underneath appeared pale. Eventually she reached toward me. I braced myself, but I felt nothing.

“Does that hurt?”

“N-No,” I managed to say.

“I see,” she said. I swear she sounded sadder. Great. “I'm going to examine your airway,” she added calmly, “and I'm going to check your breathing. To make sure everything's functioning properly.”

I could deal with that. I breathed normally. It hurt when I exhaled, as part of the flames had struck the lower part of my neck.

“Your airway seems fine,” she said. “But the wing...”

And it all went downhill from there.

The nurse cradled me in her arms as she brought me to Sai.

When he saw us, he said, “Well? What's wrong with him?”

I wanted to choke him and tell him there was nothing wrong with me. It just so happened that everyone else thought the opposite.

“The base of Ezrem's neck and his one wing have minor burns. The other wing, however... The other wing has sustained servere third degree burns...” Her voice trailed off. Her grip on me tightened.

“So? What does that even mean? What are you trying to say?” Sai said, motioning for her to go on. He was such an impatient little boy, one with a soft spot for me!

The nurse sighed. “Third degree burns are also called full thickness burns. This is because they destroy the entire outer layer of skin, along with the layer of nerve fibers underneath. He can't feel pain,” she said, “which is fortunate. But these types of burns can't be treated over time, even with our machines here. I'm sorry, but he may not be able to use his wing anymore.”

I froze. I had expected terrible news, but I hadn't expected this. I was a flightless bird, but now I wouldn't be able to suspend myself in the air... A part of me that had been with me since I was born would lose its meaning. It was inconceivable. Impossible.

Sai said, “He may not be able to? Is there any other way?”

“I can't be certain, but it's possible.”

“What is it!” I blurted out. I would do anything she asked

“Skin grafts are an option. Skin grafts are used to permanently replace destroyed tissue. They are very expensive, however, and would require Ezrem to remain here for a long while in order to recover.”

Sai paused. The nurse was about to prod him when he said, “I'm a trainer. I don't have a lot of money.”

Of course he didn't. I knew this. And though he didn't say it, I knew we were low on time.

“There's another way, though,” she went on. “If he evolves, the nerve fibers may be replaced and he could use his wing again. It may not be as effective, but it's better than nothing.”

I would do anything she asked—except for that.

I promised Annie I wouldn't evolve. I mean, I only made that promise because I wanted to go home and I was willing to agree with her on anything. I had planned on evolving when I was on my own, too, but it was my fault she was gone now. I was obligated to keep her memory alive. To do that, I needed to be a rufflet for the rest of my life.

“Okay,” Sai said. It wasn't okay. He looked at me apologetically. “What else can we do?”

I tuned out the conversation. I didn't want to hear it.

I lost the use of use of my wing for a stupid cause. That's not to say I regretted saving Rennio. I simply shouldn't have pushed him to fight.

And then, there was the secret.

How could I not have known? Really. Why hadn't Annie told me? She probably didn't care, but she always believed that one should be aware of one's identity. Why hadn't Rennio told me? Did he even know? And what about Kuiora? Now that I thought about it, she had been close to telling me before we got interrupted once. ...I was just glad she didn't have to see me this way.

My mind continued spinning as we headed toward Ecruteak City. Again.

Sai carried me as we walked, as if he thought my legs were incapacitated as well. Maybe he felt sorry for me. Well, I didn't want his pity anymore! But I didn't make a sound. No one else did, either, though I might have heard Rennio crying.

We came across the same clearing where the incident had taken place. Sai set me down and asked Kuiora to come forward, and for the rest of the group to move.

I soon found out what the nurse had said about healing my burns, however, when we had reached the same clearing where the incident had taken place. Sai had stopped here on purpose and set me down. He asked for Kuiora to step forward, and for the rest of the group to back off.

“Kuiora...” I said, my voice barely above a whisper. Could she still think I was special? Probably not.

She nodded. She released a soft stream of water that struck me in the neck and then my burnt wing. The wounds were fresh! It wasn't a pretty sight.

“What was that for?” I said, hugging my body.

“The nurse said you have to take cool baths,” Sai explained. “Aren't we to have a water-type on the team?”

I didn't feel lucky.

Next Sai handed me two pills, similar to the ones he took himself. “For the pain,” he said. I opened my mouth and he stuck them on my tongue. I nearly vomited again, trying to swallow them without water.

“And now,” Sai said, “we put some cream on it.”

He rubbed the cold cream onto the damaged areas. I wondered how loud my screaming would be if I could feel the full aftereffects of the third degree burns. Those third degree burns, it seemed, were taunting me.

Sai pulled out the bandages from his backpack. There weren't enough to get me through the entire route, assuming I would be wild and shake them off. He placed a square-shaped patch on my neck, then wrapped the other two wings. He had to try at least three times before he got it right, though.

“Sorry,” he said. “I've never done this before.”

“It's okay. Me neither.”

When he finished, I tried flapping my wings, which only made me cringe. This morning, I told Rennio our schedules were full. My main worry at that point involved going home. Now I was worried about being a useless, shiny flying-type pokémon.

Sai offered to carry me, but I shook my head. I wanted to—needed to—talk to Kuiora and Rennio.

I nudged Kuiora in the side and she lagged behind everyone else to be with me. She did this without so much as looking at me. Was it all in my head?

“What do you want?” she said in a tone that confirmed my fears.

When I didn't answer, she turned to leave. I pecked her on the tail and she acquiesced, sick of the passive-aggressiveness.

“Do you want to know,” I said, “what's worse than a legendary pokémon that has a short temper, is a bit smite happy and has no developed sense of humor?”

“Uh,” she said. “Sure?”

“What's worse is a legendary pokémon that has a shorter temper, is very smite happy and has a highly developed sense of humor."

“I don't get it...”

“Even the legendary pokémon can be as stupid as us! They can destroy others and get lost in their own minds. It's such a catastrophe.”

“Ezrem, are you okay?” she said. “I mean, I know you're not okay. But even before this, you weren't acting like yourself.”

“I'm special to you, right? I'm invincible, just like the rest of your worshiped friends. Who cares?” I said, knowing I was being difficult. I couldn't gather the strength to be anything else.

I care!”

I couldn't stand it. I wanted her to care, yet I didn't. I glanced at the rest of the team and thought about bothering the others.

“What about you, Atis?” I said, hopping over to the fighting-type pokémon. “Do you care?”

“I guess so...” So he had been eavesdropping. As anticipated from our shyest teammate.

“What do you think about me? Am I evil?”

“W-Well, I've never seen you do anything bad... like hurt anyone or anything...” Atis said, walking slower now.

“Decent humans beings don't do such things. But I'm not decent nor am I a human being. You lose.”

“Ezrem...” Kuiora started, but she didn't go on.

“Calm yourself, Kuora,” I said. “You are not allowed to interrupt.”

“You're my friend! I'll interrupt if I want to. Why don't we go further back and talk it out a little?”

It was inevitable, but I didn't want to talk it out a little anymore. Torn, I kept spouting out nonsense about how everyone in the world had been keeping a secret from me.

“I finally figured it out,” I told her. “I'm a shiny pokémon. Isn't that fantastical?”

“Ezrem, it's not a bad thing. That's one reason why I've liked you all this time, and—”

“But you must be mad, right? I didn't know I was shiny, but I presented myself as a legendary anyway. That's some deceitful stuff, don't you think?”

“Yeah, I'm angry. But I can't stay angry at you, considering the state you're in.” She stared at my wounds. “I've been angry before. I learned from it. I don't want to be that way again, especially not with you.”

“You should be angry. Angrier than you've ever been.”

“Why? What's so bad about being a shiny pokémon?” she asked, genuinely curious.

Why? I told her why. I told her everything. I told her about making Rennio believe he was the last elekid on the planet just so he would become attached to me. I told her that being a shiny pokémon suddenly made me feel like the only rufflet in the world. I told her I felt lonely and I wanted to bring someone down with me. I told her I missed being a monster. I told her I wanted to be the same monster I was when I killed my trainer with fire. I told her how ironic it was that I should get burned myself.

“And that,” I concluded, “is why you should be mad at me. I am a terrible pokémon. I know it, and I can't stop it, though I've tried.” On second thought, I added, “I'm going to explain this to Rennio. Not today, but soon.”

Kuiora's face became red, the corners of her mouth turned down as low as I had ever seen them.

“You killed your trainer? You told Rennio that?” she said weakly.

“Yes, I did,” I said, smiling for effect.

She noticed my theatrics. She knew me too well. “I don't want to be angry. Don't do this,” she said.

“You should hurt me. Kill me. I deserve it.”

“No, Ezrem! I won't!”

She persisted on refusing my offer until Sai quit moving. He must have heard part of the conversation thanks to Kuiora's frantic screaming. I couldn't see his face, but his fists were clenched. I feared for the worst.

He came over to me and picked me up by my bad wing. I thrashed about, trying not to scream so he would think I was as strong as I had ever been. When I realized I wasn't getting anywhere with the stubborn boy and his stubborn pokémon, I let myself go limp.

“Let's get this straight,” he said, keeping his firm grip on me. “You are not on this team. I broke the rules for you, but you still aren't on this team. I don't know what you told Kuiora, but you won't antagonize my pokémon if you're going to follow us around. I only let you follow us because of Rennio. Do you understand?”

“Yes,” I said, ashamed. I wanted to be on this trainer's team and now, I might have forever ruined my chances.

“Besides,” Sai said, setting me down, “he cares a lot about you, and so does Kuiora. You should listen.”

“Okay,” I said. My witty comments were set aside.

It was strange, in a way, having Sai be the one to set me straight. His rejection offered me some solace. With Rennio and Kuiora, I wanted them to hate me and love me. The battlefield known as friendship was not the greatest place to be that day.

Kuiora didn't give up after Sai's lecture. She came up to me, asking, “Do you know what the most important thing in this world is?”

“If you say friendship, I'll stab you."

“Despite everything, I know you wouldn't do that.” She smiled. “It is friendship, though. I used to only want legendary pokémon as my friends, so I ignored everyone else. I regret it and I'd like to start over. I won't even consider you legendary if you think it's a bad thing, okay?”

I looked down at myself. I had red feathers. I was the color of passion and violence. ...I was the color of fire. It fit me perfectly. I asked her what color I was supposed to be.

“Blue,” she said. “I've seen pictures. That's how I knew.”

“I see,” I said. “You still want to be with me?”

“I do.”

I sighed. “I'd like to spend more time together too,” I admitted. “Arceus knows there's another rufflet that could love you better than I will, but you can deal with my pathetic self, I suppose. So... what are your plans? Between now and forever, I mean.”

Kuiora giggled, and I knew all was well.

I had another battle to face. In some respects, this would be the harder battle. I knew Rennio better than Kuiora, but he didn't know me. That fact alone made me want to open up to him, but I wasn't completely ready. Not yet.

“Rennio!” I said, leaving behind a smiling Kuiora.

He snapped his head in my direction. I could see tears in his eyes. He was crying over me, it seemed... Usually he cried about himself... I mentally scolded myself for making him cry, though I had tried to be heroic, or at least something less than sinful.

“E-Ezrem!” he said, embracing me. I winced at my body's reaction, but I made no attempt to pull back.

“You're squishing me,” I said. He let go. I ruffled my feathers to make myself feel more comfortable. The medicine made things better.

“Sorry,” he said. “I'm sorry for everything... I tried to battle, I really did. But that attack was too powerful for me. And look! I was right! It got you burned, and it's all my fault...”

“Rennio...” I said, “do you know why I jumped in front of that flamethrower?”

“No... Not at all.”

“Because I wanted to. What would happen if you got injured?” I said. I wasn't about to pull the last-elekid-in-the-world trick, though. “My best friend would have been badly hurt. And that would have made two of us very, very sad. I wanted to prevent that. Taking the blow was only the natural thing to do.”

“I am sad!”

“I know, but it's not so bad. I actually... prefer to be this way, you know?”

“You... do?” he said, wiping his eyes. “Who would ever want to be hurt?”

“Think of this way. I'm strong, right? And these burns are a setback, yeah. But when I defeat a fearful pokémon like that arcanine, others praise me and my efforts.”

“I... guess I get it...”

“Do you, Rennio? Praise is a wild thing. Praise can be sung from one corner of the nation to the next. Praise makes people build honorable statues. Usually, famous songs fade away, statues crumble, and more people die. But I would live on as a monument of pride. People would tell campfire tales and make others shudder, mothers would scare children into thinking I'll punish them if they're bad, scholars would think of me when they wonder if power can have too high a price, and both the pious and the wicked would pray to to their gods, asking for my judgment instead. That, my dear Rennio, is legacy. So yeah, I don't mind these burns one bit.”

“O-Oh,” Rennio breathed. His voice was barely above a whisper.

“Exactly.”

“Are you sure, Ezrem? You rant like this all the time,” he pointed out.

“I'm very sure.” It was odd, the way he would believe me in any other context.

“Is there anything I can do for you?” he asked. “I'm not a water-type or anything, but surely there's something...”

“Ask Sai to change my bandages next time.”

“Okay. Anything else?”

“Rennio, I am miserable and perfectly happy about it. You don't have to do a thing.”

I wasn't happy, but in that case, it was a necessary, warranted lie. Without that lie, Rennio would never get rid of his guilt. The other lies I told would be taken care of somewhere further down the line.

Rennio said nothing. The conversation was short and it was done. We weren't anywhere close to Ecruteak City. That was our real destination, but I felt I had reached a new part of my life. There were going to be hard times and good times, of course, but I'd deal with it. The worst was over and I was becoming more and more aware of myself. Those two facts would help me become a better pokémon and a better teammate.

I thought of Annie. She had said that when she pictured herself, it was like looking at the night sky and thinking her life was made up of pictures within the stars. She would then connect the dots and everything would make sense. For me, the lines had been filled in.

Up until the incident, I was nothing but a liar. Now I was nothing but forgiven.

Last edited:

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
“Calm yourself, Kuiora,” Ezrem said, speaking for me. “I am clearly having an identity crisis here, and you are not allowed to interrupt.”

The speaking for me part confuses me... Ezrem is speaking for... Ezrem?

Last edited:

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Since I'm two chapters behind, I'm only going to give some general thoughts on each one instead of my usual picking apart.

Chapter 19: Excellent, very solid starting section. The first few paragraphs are written with a fine selection of words, and Rennio's thoughts are very clear as a result. Sai is, as usual, mysterious - but the picture about what's going on regarding the people who are following him is gradually becoming clearer. I think we're also getting some ideas on how the team might progressively break up over time, now that the Unova thing has been brought up. Sai's comments on why he left are worrying. That he speaks of being "ordered" to fly through the cities further reinforces a theory I had regarding his origin. The battle was fairly short, but it was well-written and advanced the plot appropriately. Finally, the ending was heartwarming, even if it came at the cost of Ezrem getting burned.

Chapter 20: The first two paragraphs give us a good, continuing grasp on Ezrem's conflicted character. He does genuinely want to be good, but he clearly cannot shake some of his dimmer views of Sai, perhaps with good reason.

...aaand it finally happened. One of Sai's Pokemon got really effed up bad. It was only a matter of time. I see this being a major event that changes just about everything at least as far as Sai and Ezrem go. It already looks like I might be right. Let me guess: Ezrem's struggle with the issue of evolution is going to continue to trouble him, isn't it?

Sai's attempts to care for Ezrem are rather touching, even if they are crudely done on his part. He's trying, and that's what matters.

I didn't understand Ezrem's breakdown fully until he made the comment about feeling like the only Shiny Rufflet, comparing himself to what he made Rennio believe. Then it hit me with the force of a truck.

Wow, um... Sai really didn't hesitate to put Ezrem in his place. That said, though, Ezrem deserved it with all the stunts he was pulling leading up to that.

Ezrem's inner monologues about colors and their meanings are quite intriguing.

And done. I really liked both of these chapters, so please don't think otherwise because of these brief reviews.

Last edited:

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
I'm trying to squeeze this in on my break, so I'm just going to review my thoughts on it rather than do a big breakdown.

If I didn't know any better from the fact that you've written this in advance, I'd say that this was the chapter where you stabbed back at all of us readers for saying Ezrem was evil or villainous or malicious. He's still a bit... off... here, but he's more reasoned out and apologetic.

The scene with Ezrem and the nurse was INCREDIBLY touching, and you really conveyed her shock and mourning (for lack of a better word) well through just Ezrem's point of view of her demeanor and voice. I felt more for Ezrem through her reactions to caring for him than I did at any other point in the chapter. It wasn't overstated at all--it's pretty much just Ezrem saying she sounded sad--but the words you used in her dialogue and the actions of getting water for him all came together really well to paint her picture.

Ezrem's loyalty to Annie in the sense that he doesn't want to evolve even when it could save him is an interesting point, and really the key moment for "Ezrem feels things!" as far as I was concerned. Even when he saved Rennio, I was sure there was a manipulation behind his motivation, or at least just self-preservation. But when he shuns the prospect of evolving out of respect for Annie's memory... that was a brilliantly subtle way to REALLY show that he cares.

The subsequent scene on the road to Ecruteak, I thought things got a bit weird. Ezrem started seeming a bit loopy, and I wasn't sure what the impetus for that was. Was it the medication? Was it the crashing around him of his deceits? It wasn't really clear to me. He just started acting weird. Suddenly he cared about what Kui and Atis think of him? And he's, at turns, being aggressive and strangely passive. It was just weird to me, and I kept re-reading things to make sure I was picturing it correctly. That said... the feeling of wanting someone to both be mad at you and care for you is a strangely universal one--the need to just know others strongly consider you--so I loved your usage of that emotion.

We get another glimpse of Sai as borderline unfeeling when he was flinging Ezrem about by one of his injured wings. It harkened back to his beating of Senori at the beginning where he was capable and willing to inflict pain on innocent (as innocent as Ezrem gets) pokemon.

diamondpearl876

Great story, can you please add me to the pm list?

Yes, yes I can.

Finally, the ending was heartwarming, even if it came at the cost of Ezrem getting burned.

I'm glad you thought so. I didn't actually want a sad ending, as Ezrem would hate that.

...aaand it finally happened. One of Sai's Pokemon got really effed up bad. It was only a matter of time. I see this being a major event that changes just about everything at least as far as Sai and Ezrem go. It already looks like I might be right. Let me guess: Ezrem's struggle with the issue of evolution is going to continue to trouble him, isn't it?

Yes, you're right. It'll come up in a few more chapters. And yes, it really was only a matter of time till Sai messed up big time... though I'm not actually sure this is particularly Sai's fault. Ah, well.

I didn't understand Ezrem's breakdown fully until he made the comment about feeling like the only Shiny Rufflet, comparing himself to what he made Rennio believe. Then it hit me with the force of a truck.

I thought it might. It sounded like a great idea when I first thought of it. SO EMOTIONAL

Wow, um... Sai really didn't hesitate to put Ezrem in his place. That said, though, Ezrem deserved it with all the stunts he was pulling leading up to that.

Yep, Sai has a temper like that.

Thanks for commenting!

If I didn't know any better from the fact that you've written this in advance, I'd say that this was the chapter where you stabbed back at all of us readers for saying Ezrem was evil or villainous or malicious. He's still a bit... off... here, but he's more reasoned out and apologetic.

Lmao, nah, this was planned from the very beginning, have no fear.

The scene with Ezrem and the nurse was INCREDIBLY touching, and you really conveyed her shock and mourning (for lack of a better word) well through just Ezrem's point of view of her demeanor and voice. I felt more for Ezrem through her reactions to caring for him than I did at any other point in the chapter. It wasn't overstated at all--it's pretty much just Ezrem saying she sounded sad--but the words you used in her dialogue and the actions of getting water for him all came together really well to paint her picture.

I'm glad you liked this scene because I wasn't sure about it when posting.

Ezrem's loyalty to Annie in the sense that he doesn't want to evolve even when it could save him is an interesting point, and really the key moment for "Ezrem feels things!" as far as I was concerned. Even when he saved Rennio, I was sure there was a manipulation behind his motivation, or at least just self-preservation. But when he shuns the prospect of evolving out of respect for Annie's memory... that was a brilliantly subtle way to REALLY show that he cares.

Hmm, we'll see where he goes with this evolution thing, eh?

The subsequent scene on the road to Ecruteak, I thought things got a bit weird. Ezrem started seeming a bit loopy, and I wasn't sure what the impetus for that was. Was it the medication? Was it the crashing around him of his deceits? It wasn't really clear to me. He just started acting weird. Suddenly he cared about what Kui and Atis think of him? And he's, at turns, being aggressive and strangely passive. It was just weird to me, and I kept re-reading things to make sure I was picturing it correctly. That said... the feeling of wanting someone to both be mad at you and care for you is a strangely universal one--the need to just know others strongly consider you--so I loved your usage of that emotion.

I think it was just the reality of the situation crashing down on him all at once.

We get another glimpse of Sai as borderline unfeeling when he was flinging Ezrem about by one of his injured wings. It harkened back to his beating of Senori at the beginning where he was capable and willing to inflict pain on innocent (as innocent as Ezrem gets) pokemon.

I'm glad you remembered this.

Thanks for commenting!

diamondpearl876

SURVIVAL PROJECT
chapter 21 ; [ATIS]
cynosure

*​

If there was anyone in the world I didn't want to be—aside from my hitmontop self—it was Ezrem. Though valiant, he was incredibly reckless. Running into an attack like that... I wouldn't have done it. And finding out he was a shiny pokémon... I knew how rare and valuable they were to collectors, trainers and hunters. To be wanted by so many people must have been unbearable.

As we waited in the Pokémon Center for Ezrem to heal, I thought about what it would be like to not know myself. What if I didn't know my origins? What if I didn't know how I felt about humans? What would I have and who would I be?

There were some things I didn't know, of course. Ezrem's situation had given me some ideas about where to go after I left Sai. I could work in a hospital for humans or volunteer my time to charities, and then I could explore other hobbies I might be interested in. As long as I was around people who appreciated my efforts, I would be fine.

Before I went, I needed to repay Sai for all that he had done for me. Though he didn't live up to all my expectations, it didn't mean I totally hated being on the team. He gave me shelter, food and entertainment, as well as a lesson or two on what it meant to be human. But training had put such a great strain on him that I wondered if he would go back and change what happened. All those rules, all those breakdowns... None of them could have been healthy for him.

I had to give up on making his life better. That was up to him, not me.

“Sai,” I said quietly, not wanting to disturb the peaceful atmosphere. When he didn't answer, I poked him in the shoulder.

“Yes, Atis?”

“I...” My voice trailed off. I wanted to ditch the team and I wasn't sure how to construct this idea in a sentence. “Well... Do you remember when you gave us a choice? You made us say whether we wanted to stay or go...”

Sai's stare lingered. I swallowed and twiddled my hands around. Finally he said, “Yeah. I remember. Why... do you bring it up now?”

The pause in his voice sent shivers down my spine. When he talked, I was used to him being brash, so sure in what he was saying, even if he regretted it later. But now he was uncertain. He had to have known what was coming.

“I think... I've made my decision,” I said, not daring to look at his heartbreaking eyes.

“You want to leave, don't you?”

I nodded. The others didn't hesitate on offering their opinions.

“So you're doing something for yourself, huh?” Senori said. He smiled at me and I forced myself to smile back.

“Atis!” Kuiora said. “We haven't settled our competition to see who's strongest!"

“You're stronger than me now, I assure you,” I said, trying to sound as bold as Sai.

“You think so?”

“Yeah. I never fight, so...”

“You're still going?”

“Sorry,” I mumbled.

“Atis, I would've liked to learn more about you. I'll be sad to see you go,” said Rennio.

“Thank you,” I said, surprised. Preventing the young pokémon from inheriting my abnormal views was for the best, though.

Sai had yet to respond. He was barely scraping by, it seemed. I sympathized with him, but I knew what I was talking about when I said training wasn't just a walk in the park.

“When would you like to go?” he said after a while.

“Soon,” I said, “so I can get out of your way—”

“Atis,” he interrupted, “do you know what day it is?”

I froze. It was a Wednesday, but that conclusion was next to useless. “N-No,” I managed to say.

“Earl told me all about you,” Sai said. He paused, then continued, “He told me you came to him in the middle of June. You were a... tyrogue, I think. You were with him for three years. If you were still with him today, this would mark the beginning of the fourth year.”

Even I hadn't remembered this. Did Earl really say those things about me? Did he really care that much? I never doubted that he was a caring man, but I was dumbfounded anyway. I was feeling loved at a time like this...

“It's the middle of June, isn't it?” I said.

“It's not the exact date, but it's close.”

“Why does it matter?”

“Atis,” Kuiora scolded, “don't you know what that means? It's your birthday!”

I let her believe what she wanted. I knew what a birthday was, and it definitely wasn't this.

“Professor Elm celebrated the day me and the other pokémon joined him. He said the year was full of good memories of us growing up. We should celebrate before you go!” Kuiora went on. I blinked. “It's a must,” she added, “and I won't take no for an answer.”

I laughed. Kuiora's childish self was shining through. I'd sincerely miss it.

“I think she's right,” Sai said. “Please stay until we get to Ecruteak City. We'll celebrate there.”

“O-Okay,” I said. It seemed that Goldenrod City held too many bad memories for him. I could deal with being on the team for another few days, anyway. It would give everyone time to adjust to the idea of me being gone.

The next two days went by quickly. I tried my best to keep up, though my mind was muddled as I pondered over my next journey. I'd be starting out in Ecruteak City, but I didn't know what the the place had to offer besides the renowned burned tower. At least Kuiora could have fun with the stories surrounding the building.

As we traveled, I was concerned by Ezrem's outbursts. He yelled at Kuiora and, to a much lesser extent, me. Sai had to to intervene. His sudden fury made me cower and only cemented my decision. I knew the answer to my previous question too. If I didn't know myself as well as I did, I'd go crazy and attempt to destroy every promising opportunity in my life.

Everything after that was quiet. I saw Ezrem and Rennio talking, but I couldn't hear them. Kuiora's face was twisted in a scowl, but her movements were carefree. Senori passed me an all knowing smile once in a while, as there were no more words to be said between us.

The night before we reached Ecruteak City, I woke up to see Sai sneaking off. I was too dazed and tired to follow him, but I took note of it. His walk was slow, too, making me believe he was just thinking. Yeah, he was just... thinking. I convinced myself of this and went back to sleep. He would be there in the morning.

I let out a sigh of relief when I woke up again and saw him resting against a tree. To have him disappear would have put a big dent in our broken team. No one noticed where Sai had gone. I'd find out where he went later.

“So,” Sai said as we went underneath the city's entrance gate, “what do we want to do for Atis's birthday?”

“Have lots of cake,” I said before Kuiora could butt in.

“Don't forget presents,” Senori offered.

“Okay. Cake and presents,” Sai said. “To the pokémart.”

He stopped and peered around, taking in his surroundings. There were plenty of sturdy, oriental buildings with dirty windows and graffiti on each side. The pavement was set up in a grid-like pattern, and along the roads were high, triumphal arches that were built to honor the city's founders. I saw the burned tower, which, though it had been damaged, was the tallest structure standing.

We had to peer inside a couple restaurants and the dance hall, but we eventually found the pokémart and ventured inside. The pokémart's interior design reminded me of the pocket knife Sai had bought, and suddenly I was scared of what kind of gift he'd give me.

We went up and down the aisles. Sai picked up random items, but he put them back where they belonged after scrutinizing them. Soon he reached the electronics section, where he picked up a camera.

“Do you like taking pictures, Atis?” he asked.

“I've never taken any... I don't know.”

“Is it something you'd like to do? You can take pictures of us and take them with you.”

“Yeah... Right. I'd do that,” I said, smiling. Usually Sai put himself at the center of his world, so I was interested to see him act with thoughtfulness.

“It's settled,” Sai said, handing me the camera. “This will be your present from all of us.”

Kuiora cheered. Rennio explained to Ezrem what happened, since he wasn't paying attention. Senori was quiet. I took the camera from Sai and we went to the counter to buy it.

“Now we need a cake,” Sai said as we came out of the store. “We'll go back to the restaurant we saw.”

Inside, chandeliers hung from the ceiling. The lighting was dim, giving off a relaxed atmosphere. The walls depicted special paintings of ho-oh and lugia, Johto's legendary pokémon. Kuiora was practically glowing with excitement as we were seated. Sai and Senori were confused, since we had never been to a formal restaurant before. Overall, though, I enjoyed myself.

I noticed, however, that cake wasn't on the menu. I chuckled when Kuiora looked at it upside down, asking what the funny shapes on the paper were.

“Kuiora doesn't know how to read,” Ezrem said teasingly.

“Neither do you!” Rennio retorted. Kuiora gave him a high five. It was difficult, since their hands were different in shape and size.

“Well, what are you gonna get, Atis?” Senori asked. “I can't read, either.”

“Aren't you confused as to why I can read?”

“Nah.” Knowing him, he recalled how I came from a school. It seemed like such a long time ago that the three of them had come to whisk me away just to fight at the gym...

“I see,” I said. “They have cupcakes. I guess that works...”

At that precise moment, the waiter came to our table, asking us what we wanted.

“Just cupcakes. One for Atis, of course”—he pointed to me, and then the others—“and one for Kuiora, Senori, Rennio, me... I suppose Ezrem can have one. Yeah. Cupcakes.”

“Atis is the only one who should get a cupcake, Sai!” Kuiora said, rising from her seat. “It's his birthday.”

Sai ignored her and nodded to the waiter. The water was confused, presumably because this was a restaurant that specialized in hamburgers, not desserts. That, and the fact that Sai burst out the order in one breath. His odd self was continuing to show. How had he never been to a restaurant at some point in his past?

When the waiter left, we talked about random things. Rennio was the first to bring up the paintings on the walls, asking if there was a painting of an elekid. I explained to him how ho-oh could revive dead beings, while lugia hid itself beneath the ocean's depths. I didn't see the electric-type, and I told him that. He looked disappointed.

“Hey, now,” Ezrem said. “Let's all think about the cupcakes. I want to order so many cupcakes, my internal organs will start a revolution and leave.”

“Haven't they already done that? Kind of, anyway,” Kuiora said. She covered her mouth as soon as she finished. “Sorry,” she added, her voice muffled.

Ezrem blanched. “Yes, I suppose they have. Darn it. ...I guess I'll have to settle for one cupcake.”

“Cupcakes aren't healthy for you,” Sai said.

“Cake isn't any better. I say we still get a cake. We can split it into parts, and then—”

“And then you can con everyone into giving you their piece?” Senori said, interrupting him with a grin.

“Yes! You get me, Senori. I am so lucky to have someone who knows me as fantastically as you do,” Ezrem said.

“Divide the cake evenly so everyone gets a piece,” I said.

“But what if I tried to divide the cake by zero?” he said loudly. “Let's say this cake really exists, but no one owns this cake. It just exists. If I divide it by six, so there's one piece for everyone, then there are six pieces. If I divide it by zero, then the cake still exists. It may be mathematically impossible, given that limits exist. But who is to tell me that I cannot divide this cake by zero?”

I blushed at his response. I didn't know how to answer. Luckily, Kuiora did for me.

“You, Ezrem,” she said, “are a smart pokémon.”

“I would hardly say so,” Senori said, folding his arms.

“Annie used to tell you that math stuff, didn't she?” Rennio chimed in, winking at Senori to keep the furret calm.

“Do you want to hear another math joke? I know you do. Let's say—”

The waiter returned with the cupcakes, successfully shutting up the flying-type. The waiter set one down in front of each of us. I thanked him, even if he couldn't understand me. Sai said nothing, and I silently scolded him for his lack of manners, not having the courage to say it out loud.

I looked down, nervous. Now was as good a time as any to start using my camera. I picked it up and embraced the welcoming feeling of cool plastic on my hands. Was it appropriate for me to take pictures of my friends so I could remember them? I didn't see why not... I just didn't want to give them the impression that I regretted leaving. ...I'd think about it later.

So I took my pictures, one by one. Sai's picture showed him looking at his cupcake as if he were studying an alien creature. I caught Kuiora in the middle of her first bite. Her jaw hung open and the cupcake lay unassuming on the table in front of her. Senori, though, beat her to the first bite. Ezrem was messy in his picture, as he had white icing all over his beak by the time the cupcake was gone. And Rennio held the cupcake delicately, as if he were trying very hard not to squish it before consumption.

Soon I had a picture of everyone. I could have asked to take a team picture, but I was too nervous. I didn't want to disrupt the peace. Besides, I didn't want to be in a picture myself.

“Ah,” Ezrem said, patting his stomach with his functioning wing. “That was good. It's been a while since I've had sweets.”

“It's definitely better than berries,” Rennio agreed.

“Berries aren't so bad!” Kuiora cried. “Cheri berries are good, at least.”

Ezrem waved her off. “Whatever you say,” he said. “Well, Atis, I hope you liked your presents. I wonder if there's more?”

“W-What?”

“If there's more, I should warn you that some gifts are better left unopened. I'm mostly referring to the gifts that explode in your face upon opening.”

“That's... nice. Thanks for the warning...”

“Anytime,” Ezrem said.

Senori glared at him. “Don't worry, Atis. There's nothing else.”

“Actually, there is,” Sai said. His voice was quiet, perhaps the quietest I had ever heard it.

“Oh? Please, Sai, enlighten us,” Senori said.

“It's for Atis only. For now, the day is over. Let's go to the Pokémon Center.”

Sai didn't have enough money to buy everyone their own room, and he apologized for that. In the end, it wouldn't mater to me. It was weird, though, knowing this was the last time I'd see everyone together in a Pokémon Center room. I glanced at the top bunk, wondering if I would sleep there one last night, listening to the breathing of those below me...

Sai regarded me dubiously. He peered over at me every few moments, as if savoring his time with me, all the while knowing there was more to come. I shuddered. It was awkward, those eyes that gave me mixed emotions. I was sure he was the only one who had such passion in his eyes.

As we prepared to end the night, Sai announced, “I'm going out with Atis. Say your goodbyes... I'll be letting him go.”

Everyone stopped what they were doing to come up to me. Senori nodded to me and nuzzled up to Sai, telling me that he'd take care of the boy for me. Ezrem stood up on his feet to peck me on the head. He whispered about the exploding gifts and I let out a stifled laugh. Rennio pushed Ezrem out of the way. I smiled at him and told him I wished I had gotten to know him too. And Kuiora, with her enormous size and weight, just had to hug me. I thought she was going to crush my body in the process.

Sai didn't say anything. I expected him to say goodbye later on, and I felt the sensation I got when the two of us knew something that no one else did. He went to the door and held it open, motioning for me to step outside. I did so, but I didn't forget to look back one last time at my teammates.

The walk to... wherever... was silent. Sai seemed just as lost as I was. I saw the entrance to Ecruteak City and figured he was going to release me into the wild. The night sky and lit moon loomed above us. There were very few people out at this time, which made me feel like we were the only ones in the world. We passed the front gates. I was already backtracking through my journey, and I speculated about how far I would go until I was satisfied.

We reached an area that appeared familiar to me, though Sai had taken a turn that led us into a more forested section. Trees lined my peripheral vision, while a small clearing lay ahead. Berry bushes marked a dead end.

“Atis,” Sai said. “Yesterday, Senori told me you didn't quite know what you were going to do after this. So I thought about it for you. I... remembered... someone that can help you. She will take you somewhere nice. I, ah, already told her you would come with her, so it's a little too late to say no right now. You can always say no later, I suppose, if you want to...”

I stood there. I found his voice even more unnatural than it had been earlier. I couldn't place it, but the pauses were starting to make sense. This was different from when he gave answers in other situations. When he talked about himself or his past life, he was being honest, even if vague. But this...

He was lying to me. And I didn't know why.

Anxiety welled up within me. Again, I remembered when he deserted us. Had he gone to this mysterious lady? It seemed that he didn't find comfort in her company, either, so perhaps he felt the need to lie about her... Not that this made me feel any better... In fact, it made me despise whatever disaster was waiting for me.

My concentration broke when a strong gust of wind blew in my direction and knocked the camera out of my hand. It clattered to the ground and I scrambled to make sure it was okay. When I retrieved it, I saw that Sai was unaffected by the wind.

Soon I felt lightheaded, ill and tired.

Sai frowned as he noticed my sudden distress. “Earl told me all about you,” he went on. “He told me you were an obedient pokémon that always acted with a clear head and a clear conscience. He said you were smarter than he could ever be. Though you were shy, he always took it as a sign that you were breathing in the air and thanking life for every opportunity thrown your way. As we traveled, I could see he was right. I was proud to have you on my team. Earl also said that someday, you would want to accomplish great things. I suppose that now is the time.” He paused. I flinched. “I know you've always wanted to be alone. I respected that, but I wish we could have spent more time together. I will wish that always. You can say that you won't miss me, but I'll think about you every day.”

As he spoke, I sobbed, not only because of his heartfelt confession, but also because something was happening inside of me and it felt terrible. I was sick to my stomach, as if I could start retching at any moment.... I couldn't think straight and it was difficult to breathe... My limbs seemed to be paralyzed, so I couldn't run away... I wanted to believe Sai would help me, but he did nothing. He knew this was going to happen. Was he really my trainer, the one I had trusted all this time?

My head spun. Whatever was happening to me... It was happening fast. I fell backward, hearing Sai sob too. Before I could question his enigmatic betrayal, everything went black.

Last edited:

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down

SURVIVAL PROJECT
chapter 21 ; [ATIS]
cynosure

*​

If there was anyone in the world I didn’t want to be (next to my hitmontop self, of course), it was Ezrem. Though valiant, he was being incredibly reckless. Running into an attack like that… I could never dream of doing it. And finding out he was a shiny pokémon… Well, it was a shock to me, too. Of course, I knew what shiny pokémon were, thanks to Earl. Their rarity and value were very well known to me; some of the kid’s dreams were to find one for themselves one day. So I knew what kind of trauma it would cause to find out you were one of them—to be wanted by so many pokémon lovers in the world would be unbearable.

While we were waiting in the pokémon center, I thought about what it would be like to not know myself as well as Ezrem. What if I didn’t know whether or not I hated my species? What if I didn’t know how I truly felt about humans? What would I have? Who would I be? In a sense, I didn’t know myself. I didn’t know where I wanted to go with the life that I was given. I didn’t know where I would go once I left Sai.

I think I would offer as a counterpoint to Atis's point here that perhaps he would be more relieved if he was in Ezrem's position in terms of self-awareness. He seems very stressed from the knowledge of his own identity and trying to figure out where he belongs, so maybe it would be a relief for him to believe a simplified story instead of the truth.

But Ezrem’s situation had given me some ideas. Maybe I could offer to work in a hospital—one for humans, and maybe pokémon—so that I could help people who truly needed it. Maybe I could volunteer—the term that Earl had pinned down for my job at the pokémon academy—my time to charities and assisting others. I would be around people whose lives didn’t revolve around pokémon, which was what I wanted, and I could explore other options—reading, poetry, games that involved skill and strategy—on the side.

How many people are there that have lives that don't revolve around Pokemon, really?

He has good thinking here though. Atis doesn't seem to have much of an ego, so a job where he helps others is well suited to him.

Yes, I had ideas now, which is more than what I had ever had before. It was time to go. It was time to help Sai out, and repay him back for all that he had done for me… And he had done a lot, despite everything. He gave me shelter, and food, and entertainment, and he taught me what it was like to be human… It was tough, being human, there was no doubt. Though he didn’t live up to all of my expectations, it didn’t mean that I didn’t enjoy our time together. I only hoped that he thought the same, but I couldn’t be sure. I believed that I was one of his problems. The art of pokémon training put such a great strain on him that I wondered if he thought he could go back and change it all. All those rules, all that pain, all those breakdowns… None of it could have been healthy for him.

If I could rid Sai of one of his problems, I could do that.

“Sai,” I said quietly as we waited, not wanting to disturb the peaceful atmosphere of the healing building. When he didn’t answer, I poked him in the shoulder gently. He looked thoughtful and stressed when he looked at me.

“Yes, Atis?”

“I…” My voice trailed off; I wasn’t sure how to go about this. “Well… Do you remember the time you gave us a choice? You made us say whether or not we wanted to stay or go...”

Sai was quiet and his stare lingered. I swallowed and twiddled my hands around, nervous. Finally, he said, “Yeah, I remember. Why… Why do you bring it up now?”

The pause in his voice—it sent shivers down my spine. When he talked, he was always so brash, so sure in what he was saying, even if he regretted it later. In the moment, he knew what he wanted to say, and he said it with such admirable boldness. But now he was stopping his speech, and it made me wonder—

“I… I think I’ve made my decision,” I said, not daring to look him in those heartbreaking eyes of his.

“You want to leave, don’t you?”

I nodded, still refusing to look his way. The others, however, weren’t afraid to glare or peer at me, depending on their sudden views.

I can't say I'm surprised he made this decision - there really wasn't much doubt in my mind he'd choose to leave - but that doesn't mean it doesn't take the wind out of my sails all the same. From my perspective, I can't honestly say that I understand Atis's logic, but when I put myself in his position and adopt his thought process, I grasp it a lot more.

Now for the reactions...

“So, you finally decided something for yourself, huh?” Senori said. He smiled at me, albeit sadly, and I forced myself to smile back.

“Atis,” Kuiora said, “we haven’t settled our competition yet to see who is stronger out of the two of us!”

“I can assure you,” I said, trying to sound as bold as Sai, “that you are stronger than me now.”

“You think so?”

“Yes. I never fight, and I don’t hone my skills. You do—all the time.”

“You’re still going to leave? Don’t you want to get stronger?”

“I want to get stronger,” I admitted, “but not in the physical sense.”

“Atis, I don’t know you enough to say you should stay or leave,” Rennio said, “but I would have liked to learn more about you. I’ll be sad to see you go.”

I choked up a little, I must confess.

“Thank you, Rennio,” I said, surprised at his wanting to learn about me. I wondered what he would have thought about me, what with my abnormal view of not wanting to be all that a pokémon can be. In the end, I decided that this, too, was for the best.

Now, all that was left was to wait for Sai’s response. He continued to look at me, and I cast my eyes upward to see him. I knew that I would have to do it sooner or later, and it was as good a time as any. Those dark blue eyes still looked sad, but I was entirely convinced that it was only because Ezrem was in the back of the pokémon center, hurt and probably scared for his life. I didn’t envy him, but I empathized. And I was sympathetic for Sai, thinking that it even though everyone looked forward to being a trainer, it wasn’t a walk in the park when all was said and done.

“When would you like to go?” was all that Sai said.

“Soon,” I replied quickly, believing that his response was his way of telling me that he was glad for my departure, “to get out of your—”

“Atis,” he suddenly interrupted. “Do you know what today is?”

I stopped there, because my blood ran cold. This can't be a good thing.

I froze. Today was the day that Ezrem got hurt, and today—hopefully—would be the day that I left this team for good. I couldn’t think of any other possibilities.

“N-No,” I managed to say.

“Earl told me all about you,” Sai said. He paused, seeming lost in thought. He seemed to be doing that a lot today… Eventually, he continued, “He told me that in the middle of June was the time that you came to him at the pokémon academy as a... tyrogue, I think it was. He said that you were with him for three years. If you were still with him today, this would mark the beginning of the fourth year.”

I stared at him, dumbfounded. Even I hadn’t remembered this. Did Earl really care about me so much that he remembered the exact day that I came to him? And he cared enough that he told my future trainer all about me! I mean, I never doubted that he was a caring man, but it still came as an eye opener to me. The beauty of loving pokémon seemed to shine through at times like this…

I was right, it's a game changer for Atis's relationship to Sai, but even further, it affects his relationship to Earl as well. Curious.

“It’s the middle of June, isn’t it?” I said, finishing his thoughts for him.

“Yeah,” Sai said. “It’s not the exact day, but it’s close.”

“Why,” I couldn’t help but say, “does it matter?”

“Atis,” Kuiora immediately scolded, “don’t you know what that means? It’s your birthday!”

My birthday? I knew what a birthday was, and it certainly wasn’t this. Nevertheless, I didn’t protest, and let her believe what she wanted.

“Professor Elm always celebrated the day that me and the other pokémon at the lab joined him. He said that the year was full of good memories of us growing up,” Kuiora went on. “This means that we should celebrate before you go! It’s a must, and I won’t take no for an answer. If you want,” she added, winking, “we can even celebrate the fact that you admitted I’m stronger than you.”

I'm surprised at how well the Pokemon are taking this, though Ezrem is excluded from the group right now and might have a different kind of reaction when he finds out.

At this, I had to laugh. Kuiora’s childish self was really shining through, and I admitted to myself that I would miss it. I was sure that I could find a childish character just about anywhere in the world, but no one could be better at it than her.

“I don’t know what a birthday is,” Sai said peculiarly, “but I think she’s right. We should celebrate before you go.” He stopped again, thinking. “Please stay with us long enough to get to Ecruteak City again. This place has brought… interesting memories, but the celebration’s location should bring only good ones. And as you know, we have to tend to Ezrem, too.”

“O-Okay,” I said, knowing I could manage just a few more days with them. It would give them time to accept my leaving and adjust to the idea without facing the pain that I was already gone, anyway.

It was the least that I could do, I thought, considering the bad news that soon followed.

...I should have known everything was going too smoothly.

The next two days went by slowly and quickly at the same time. It was slow in my mind, because I was still befuddling myself over the fact that I wasn’t one hundred percent sure what my next actions would be. Clearly, I would be starting in Ecruteak City, but I didn’t know what the renowned city had to offer besides burned towers that once housed the legendary pokémon that created Johto. As fascinating as that was, the stories weren’t going to get me anywhere. They would be good for Kuiora, at least, though she had probably already heard the stories a thousand times before, knowing her.

The trip was quick—literally. With Sai carrying Ezrem in his arms and with his swift pace, we were making great time. We had reached the same clearing where the incident took place by the middle of the first day. We took a break, however, to temporarily tend to Ezrem’s wounds. Why Sai had waited until we reached the clearing again was beyond me; if it were up to me, the wounds would have been taken care of in the pokémon center. But I was in no position to judge Sai, no matter how odd he seemed.

As we went on, there then was the point where Ezrem was having his so called identity crisis, and he went off on Kuiora and—to a much lesser extent—me. Sai had to interrupt, and his sudden fury made me cower, as always, and it only made me glad that I was leaving. I would only partly miss his rollercoaster emotions. The situation did serve, however, to prove to me what happens when someone doesn’t know themselves—they go crazy, and can only be tamed by the goals they have set for their future. I continued to sympathize with the bird, even though he had caused many problems for me in the past. He did help me to know, after all, that I didn’t want to be someone like him.

Everything after that was quiet. I saw Ezrem and Rennio talking, but I couldn’t hear them. And Kuiora seemed both furious and pleased at the same time, but I didn’t question her. Senori passed me his famous all knowing smiles at me from time to time, as there were no more words to pass between us. All that needed to be said was said during the mock battle at the pokémon fan club. That was fine with me.

The night before we reached Ecruteak City, I woke up just in time to see Sai sneak off. I was too dazed and tired to follow him, but I still took great note of it. His walk was slow, too, making me believe that he was just… thinking. Yeah, he was just thinking. I convinced myself of this and went back to sleep. He would be there in the morning.

And he was there in the morning. This brought about a great sense of relief to me. To have him disappear on me again would have put a big dent in our plans and an even bigger dent in our broken team. No one asked where Sai had gone the previous night—it would only be until much later that I would find out.

Simultaneously, that last line gives me both relief and nervous pause. Until I reached it I really thought he did run away again, but the ominous note that Atis attaches to finding out where he was makes me really nervous.

“So,” Sai said as we walked past the front gates that indicated we were now entering the city, “what are you supposed to do on a birthday, anyway?”

“Have lots of cake,” I said before Kuiora could butt in and say something completely out of line.

“Don’t forget presents,” she said, getting her own word in, anyway.

“Okay. Cake and presents. Uh,” Sai said, stopping to rest for once. He peered around, taking in his surroundings. There were plenty of tall, well made oriental buildings around, and they looked like they were recently—and frequently—cleaned, to keep away graffiti and the harshness of nature. They were also thoroughly taken care of in the sense that, up close, I couldn’t see a single hole in any of the walls. The pavement below our feet was set up with a grid-like pattern, and along the roads were high, triumphal arches—I had learned that structures like this were meant to honor the rulers who had built the city in the past. The towers in the back of the city, of course, stuck out among anything, as they were among the tallest. One of them was noticeably burned and broken, while the other’s embattlements at the top still looked strong and loved.

This was obviously a city that took care of its buildings, and therefore its people. It looked like a very efficient and suitable place for me.

“Okay,” Sai said again, breaking my focus of the city. As he said this, someone approached the gate, motioning us to move out of the way so he could get past. We took a few steps forward, with Sai mumbling in discontent over the idea that someone had pushed him around yet again. Afterward, however, he was thrilled and inspired.

“Good thing we have money again, or this would be impossible,” Sai went on happily. “Clearly, the first place we should go is to the shopping center.”

I get a very bad feeling out of the sudden mention about money. It's probably nothing, but it raises a suspicion in my mind that I'd rather not entertain.

And so that was where we went. We had to peer inside several buildings that were open to the public, seeing a restaurant and a dance hall in the process, but we eventually found it and ventured inside. The shopping center wasn’t nearly as huge as the mall in Goldenrod City, but it still brought back memories, and I vaguely wondered what Sai had done—or would eventually do—with the pocket knife he had bought. And I hoped that he wouldn’t think such a thing was a perfect gift for me.

Luckily for me, he didn’t think so. He went up and down the aisles, picking up peculiar items, just as he had done before, but he always put them back where they belonged. Soon he reached the electronics section, and he picked up a small, cheap camera.

“Atis,” he said, “do you like taking pictures?”

I was nervous so I nodded but then said, “I’ve never taken any before, so I don’t know…”

“Is it something you’d like to do? Won’t you remember us with it? Pictures can show you just about anything, right?”

“I could. Right. I could do it,” I said, now smiling. Sai was being thoughtful and considerate toward me, and only me, when often he put himself at the center of his world. I was grateful for that, even if I couldn’t show it. It only made me wonder further, though, about what kind of person he associated himself with back at home.

“It’s settled, then,” Sai said, handing it to me. “This will be your present from all of us.”

Kuiora cheered, Rennio was explaining to Ezrem what the situation was, and Senori was quiet. Would I like to capture this moment forever? I took the camera from Sai, and we went to the counter to purchase it.

That was rather cute. I smiled.

“Just cupcakes. One for Atis, of course”—he pointed to me, and then the others—“and one for Kuiora, Senori, Rennio, me, and I suppose Ezrem can have one too. Cupcakes.”

“Atis is the only one who should get a cupcake, Sai!” Kuiora said, rising from her seat. “It’s his birthday!”

Sai ignored her, and nodded to the waiter, who looked confused. Since this was a restaurant that specialized in hamburgers (since that was what the menu mostly consisted of), I assumed that he didn’t get many orders like this. Not to mention the quick, informal tone and words that Sai used to order. His odd self was continuing to show, and I wondered how it was possible that he had never been to a restaurant before, not only with us, but in his past.

This awkwardness on the group's part is adorable, too. It works perfectly for them.

When the waiter left, we all sat there, talking about random things. Rennio was the first to bring up the pokémon facts on the table, asking if there were any about his species. I looked over the table, seeing that apparently, the legendary ho-oh could revive dead people and pokémon, while the rare bird called skarmory could replenish its steel feathers by itself. There were other etchings, but these particularly stood out to me, showing that there was always a second chance in life. I didn’t see anything about the electric-type, and I told him that. He looked disappointed.

“Hey, now,” Ezrem said. Though he was burned by the neck, his voice sounded normal, and I was sure everyone was thankful for that. “Let’s all think about the cupcakes. I want to order so many cupcakes so that I can eat until my internal organs start a revolution and leave.”

“Haven’t they already done that? Kind of, anyway,” Kuiora said, though she covered her mouth as soon as she said it. “Sorry,” she said, her voice muffled.

Ezrem blanched. “Yes, I suppose they have. Darn it,” he said, quickly returning to his cheery self. “I guess I’ll have to settle for one cupcake.”

“Cupcakes aren’t healthy for you, anyway,” Sai said.

“So? Cake isn’t any better. I say we still should have gotten a cake somehow. We could have split it into parts, and then—”

“And then you could have conned everyone into give you their parts?” Senori said, interrupting him with a grin.

“Yes. You get me, Senori. I am so lucky to have someone who knows me as fantastically as you do,” Ezrem said sarcastically.

“You could just... uh… divide the cake by zero, and then keep it forever for yourself,” I said. Stupidly. I knew that you couldn’t divide by zero, but I wanted to keep the two from fighting, knowing that they weren’t particularly fond of each other. Apparently, Ezrem knew this, too.

“How is it logically impossible to divide by zero, anyway?” he said. “Let’s say this cake really exists, but no one owns this cake. It just exists. If I divide it by six, so there’s one piece for everyone, then there are six pieces. If I divide it by zero, then the cake still exists. It may be mathematically impossible, given that limits exist. But who is to tell me that I cannot divide a cake by zero?”

I blushed at his response. I didn’t know how to answer, and I didn’t even know if the question was directly aimed at me! Luckily, Kuiora answered for me.

“You, Ezrem,” she said, shaking her head, “are a smart pokémon.”

“I would hardly say so,” Senori said, folding his small arms.

“Annie used to tell you about all that math stuff, didn’t she?” Rennio chimed in, winking at Senori to keep the sentret—no, furret—calm.

“Do you want to hear another math joke, then? I know you do. Let’s say that my long lost brother”—I cringed at his reference to him being a shiny pokémon—“collects ghouls in his home. Yeah, you heard me, Senori. Don’t you look at me like that. He collects ghouls. Now, let’s say that two thirds of these ghouls are—”

Ezrem was, thankfully, interrupted by the waiter who had returned with all of the cupcakes. He set one down in front of each of us. I thanked him for it, even if he couldn’t understand me. Sai said nothing, and I silently scolded him for his lack of manners, not having the courage to say it out loud.

I looked down, nervous. Noticing the camera at my side, I decided that now was a good a time as any to start using it. I wouldn’t be able to look at the pictures right away, but with time, I would know that I was taking good ones without having to even see them before judging.

I picked it up in my hands again, enjoying the welcoming feeling of cool plastic on my hands. Twisting it around in my hand, I wondered if it would be misleading for me to take pictures of them. If I took pictures of them, it meant that I wanted to remember them forever, and maybe they would think that I wanted to stay, after all. I didn’t want to give them that impression, but I did want to remember them at the same time. I supposed that even if they thought I would want to stay, there would be undeniable proof at the end of the day: my departure, and, unlike Sai’s return… Well, there would be no return for me.

So I took my pictures, one by one. In his picture, Sai was looking at the cupcake as if it was an alien creature that he was studying. Highly appropriate, I thought. I caught Kuiora in the middle of her first bite; her jaws were hanging open and the cupcake lay unassuming on the table in front of her. Also appropriate—I would remember her power this way. Senori actually took the first bite, though, and it reminded me of his leadership. Ezrem was messy in his picture, as he had white icing all over his beak by the time his cupcake was gone. And Rennio, I could tell that his hands would look delicate as they held the food in his picture, as if he were trying very hard not to hurt it in the process of eating it. Impossible, but an admirable struggle.

And that was it—I had a picture of everyone. I could have asked for everyone to gather next to each other so we could all be in a single picture, but I was too nervous to ask. I didn’t want to disrupt the peaceful, hunger satisfied atmosphere that we had at the moment. Besides, I didn’t want to eventually develop these pictures and see me. I was afraid of seeing that I had made the wrong decision.

The interactions among the characters are excellent here, as are the emotions you've written. Very, very well done. You've got a great writing style in this section - everything is cleanly written, and your words are chosen smartly and effectively.

“Ah,” Ezrem said when he was finished, patting his stomach with his functioning but battered wing. “That was good. It’s been a while since I’ve had any sweets.”

“It’s definitely different from berries,” Rennio agreed.

“Berries aren’t so bad!” Kuiora said, folding her arms. “Cheri berries are good, anyway.”

“Whatever you say, whatever you say,” Ezrem said, waving her off. “Well, Atis, there were your presents. I sincerely hope you enjoyed them. And I wonder if there are any more for you.”

“There’s… more?” I said, thinking that it was unlikely—and particularly unfavorable—for there to be more.

“Who knows? If there’s more, then I’d like to warn you that some gifts are better left unopened, anyway. I’m mostly referring to the kind of gifts that explode in your face upon opening.”

“That’s…” I started, swallowing, “well, nice. Thanks for the warning…”

“Anytime,” Ezrem said, and I saw Senori glare at him from across the table.

“Don’t listen to him, Atis,” Senori said. “There’s nothing more.”

“Actually,” Sai interrupted, “there is.” His voice was quiet, perhaps the quietest that I had ever heard it.

“Oh? Please, Sai, enlighten us,” Senori said, looking at him suspiciously.

“It’s for Atis only to know. For now, the day is over. Let’s go to the pokémon center.”

Something is suspicious here...

Sai still didn’t have enough money to buy everyone their own room, and he apologized for that. I didn’t mind—in the end, it wouldn’t matter to me. It was odd, though, that it was the last time that I would see everyone together in a pokémon center room. I looked up at the top bunk, wondering if I would be sleeping there tonight, listening to the breathing of those calm heartbeats below me…

Sai was regarding me dubiously. He peered over at me every few moments, as if savoring his time with me, all the while knowing that there was more to come. I shuddered. It was an awkward stare he gave me, and those eyes that gave me mixed emotions would probably give me those same feelings every time I remembered them. I was sure that I would never see the dark glow of his eyes in anybody ever again, that was how unique they were to me.

When everyone was settling into their sleeping positions, muttering to themselves in tired discontent, Sai announced, “I’m going out with Atis for one last time. Say your good-byes… as I will be letting him go.”

Everyone stopped what they were doing just to come up to me. Senori simply nodded to me and went back to his position on the bed, with me thinking that it was rather cute to see the two of them so close together.

Since he couldn’t use his wings well enough, Ezrem stood up on his clawed feet to peck my on the head. He whispered in my ear, “Don’t forget about those exploding gifts.” I let out a stifled, forced laugh.

I'm only interrupting this so-far-great scene to point out that you typed "my" where "me" should be.

Rennio pushed Ezrem out of the way, and as a reward I smiled at him, telling him that I wished I could have gotten to know him, too. He didn’t have anything else to say. I knew what he was thinking, anyway, despite our lack of connection.

And Kuiora, with her enormous size and weight, just had to hug me. I thought she was going to crush my frail, skinny body in the process. Thankfully, she let go soon enough, and said good-bye in the least confident voice I had ever heard from her.

Sai didn’t say anything. Due to our past experiences together, I was wholly expecting him to say something later—in private. My gaze lingered on him, the sensation of us knowing something that no one else knew taking over. I got the vague feeling that he knew something that I didn’t, but I ignored it. After a few moments, he went to the door and held it open, motioning for me to step outside. I did so, looking back at the others one last time before watching the door close shut, which started this first new chapter of my life.

The walk to… wherever was silent. I wasn’t even sure where we were going, and supposedly, neither did Sai, as he was always peering this way and that every few seconds. We were seemingly making our way back to the entrance of the city. The night sky and lit moon loomed above us. There were very few people out at this time, which made me and Sai feel like the only ones in the world, with us being of the light and the city being of the dark. Nevertheless, we continued on, and we passed the front gates, just as we had done early this morning. I was already backtracking through my journey, and I speculated about how far I would go until I was satisfied.

Eventually, Sai stopped. We had reached an area that appeared familiar to me, though Sai had taken a turn that led us into a more forested section. Trees lined the peripheral parts of my view, while a small clearing lay ahead of us, with bushes marking a dead end.

“Atis,” Sai said. “Yesterday… Senori had told me that you didn’t quite know what you were going to do with your life after this. So I thought about it for you. I… remembered… someone that can help you. She will take you to a place where she thinks she can help you. I, ah, already told her that you would be coming with her, so it’s a little too late to say no right now. You can always say no later, I suppose, if you want to…”

Hmm... this is curious...

I stood there, finding his voice even more unnatural than it had been earlier. I couldn’t quite place it—such was often the case with this boy—but the pauses in his words were finally starting to make sense. This was different from when he was giving me answers in other situations. When he talked about himself or his past life, he was at least being honest with us, though he kept his answers discreet for protection’s sake. But this… He was lying to me.

He was lying to me, and I didn’t know why.

Suddenly, anxiety welled up within me. Shifting around uncomfortably, I remembered when he had temporarily deserted us. Had he gone to this lady he kept speaking about? It seemed that he didn’t particularly enjoy her company, either, so perhaps he felt the need to lie about her. Not that this made me feel any better. In fact, it only made me automatically despise whatever disaster was waiting for me.

My concentration was broken when a strong gust of wind blew in my direction and knocked the camera out of my hand. It clattered to the ground, and I chased after it quickly, afraid of it being unusable and unable to be developed. When I retrieved it, I looked up, still feeling the wind blow against my skin. I noticed, however, that Sai seemed unaffected. His hair remained in one spot, and his body didn’t threaten to blow over with the force of nature.

And soon, I started to feel lightheaded, ill, tired.

Sai frowned as he noticed my abrupt distress.

“Earl told me all about you,” Sai went on, just like he had said at the pokémon center. This time, he didn’t pause; he let it all out, word by word.

I listened, wondering if his voice would be louder than the beating of my heart.

“He told me,” Sai started, “that you were an obedient pokémon that always acted with a clear head and a clear conscience. He said that you were smarter than he could ever be. Though you were shy, he always took it as a sign that you were simply breathing in the air and thanking life for every chance you could do that. As time went on in our journey, I could see that he was right, and I could see that I was proud to have you on my team. He also said that someday, you would want to accomplish great things. I suppose that now is the time…” I flinched at his pause yet again. “I know you’ve always been outcast from the rest of us by your own wishes, and I respected that, but I wished that we could have spent more time together. I will wish that always. You can say that you won’t miss me, but I’ll think about you every day.”

As he spoke, I began sobbing, not only because of his obviously heartfelt words and my consequent confusion, but because something was happening inside of me and it felt terrible. I was sick to my stomach, as if I would start retching at any moment. My head was about to split open. I wanted to believe that Sai would help me, but he did nothing. He knew this was going to happen. He knew it. I wanted to believe that this was really my trainer, the one I had trusted all this time…

My head kept spinning, spinning. Spinning.

Whatever was happening to me was happening fast. Soon, I was falling backward, hearing that Sai was sobbing, too. Before I could even question his enigmatic betrayal, everything went black.

I... I'm not sure what to say. I think I need to think about this more. I know something serious just happened, I just need to wrap my mind around it.

I know I say this a lot but I really do think this was one of the best chapters yet, if not the best one. You've always done well with the emotional punch of the story but this chapter took it to another level; I could really feel like I was right in Atis's shoes the entire time.

I noticed you mentioned in the PM that this is the beginning of the end here. It certainly felt like it, with the marked escalation in everything. I'm ready.

diamondpearl876

I think I would offer as a counterpoint to Atis's point here that perhaps he would be more relieved if he was in Ezrem's position in terms of self-awareness. He seems very stressed from the knowledge of his own identity and trying to figure out where he belongs, so maybe it would be a relief for him to believe a simplified story instead of the truth.

Eh, that could be true. I didn't really think about it.

How many people are there that have lives that don't revolve around Pokemon, really?

In the pokemon world? Not many.

I can't say I'm surprised he made this decision - there really wasn't much doubt in my mind he'd choose to leave - but that doesn't mean it doesn't take the wind out of my sails all the same. From my perspective, I can't honestly say that I understand Atis's logic, but when I put myself in his position and adopt his thought process, I grasp it a lot more.

Ah, I'm glad you can understand it a bit better that way. I know it's a hard decision to accept right away.

I choked up a little, I must confess.

Cute.
I'm surprised at how well the Pokemon are taking this, though Ezrem is excluded from the group right now and might have a different kind of reaction when he finds out.

I think they take it well because they understand.

I get a very bad feeling out of the sudden mention about money. It's probably nothing, but it raises a suspicion in my mind that I'd rather not entertain.

It's probably not much. The money thing is just an important aspect to show his "sickness" (and yes, that's a hint).

The interactions among the characters are excellent here, as are the emotions you've written. Very, very well done. You've got a great writing style in this section - everything is cleanly written, and your words are chosen smartly and effectively.

Glad you liked it.
I... I'm not sure what to say. I think I need to think about this more. I know something serious just happened, I just need to wrap my mind around it.

I know I say this a lot but I really do think this was one of the best chapters yet, if not the best one. You've always done well with the emotional punch of the story but this chapter took it to another level; I could really feel like I was right in Atis's shoes the entire time.

I noticed you mentioned in the PM that this is the beginning of the end here. It certainly felt like it, with the marked escalation in everything. I'm ready.

Glad you're ready. You'll be even more ready as soon as you wrap your head around what just happened, LOL.

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
You know... I had a Tab open for this story, and then my laptop had to restart at some point and I lost it. Then I forgot about it, and then I remembered it! But here I am.

So Sai had his inevitable heel turn, but not in any way I could have seen coming. I'm curious as how Sai... poisoned?... Atis without his knowing. I didn't see any visual cues in there like Sai touching Atis' cupcake or Atis noticing a sharp sensation when Sai touched him or anything like that. So I wonder how that happened to Atis.

There's a part of me that wonders just how devious this plan might be, and what the camera has to do with anything. It doesn't seem like Sai would so carefully have selected a camera for a present if Atis was never going to be able to develop the pictures in it (the story doesn't READ as though this is a digital display camera, so I'm assuming by the description that it is a simple disposable camera), so what's the clue there? Can't say I fully have an idea on that one yet.

Some of the interactions in this chapter seemed a bit weird. Ezrem, especially. With his math jokes and talk of exploding gifts... he just seemed all over the place, and his dialogue didn't strike me as especially inspired. It just struck me as frenetic and odd. Rennio's voice was cute and endearing. Kuiora was heartfelt. Senori... I guess you set up what you did with him where he had his "knowing moments" with Atis, so he didn't have to have much of a voice, though I'd have preferred something... maybe some delayed gratitude for helping him reach his evolutionary state? Maybe some show of mutual respect? So all-in-all, maybe it was just Ezrem who was weird to me.

Sai's voice was strong, though we had Atis explicitly telling us why and how. And that's not a bad thing because it suits Atis' character to do so. Atis is unsure, nervous, anxious, and suspicious, so for him to NOT acknowledge changes in Sai's voice would be out-of-character. It really worked for Atis to be describing that, and it raised the tension of everything.

I'm harkening back a lot to the "I am always sick" chapter because that, obviously, is supposed to be setting up what is happening here. I don't see it, though. The thought I'm having is... if Atis wasn't going to leave, Sai wouldn't be doing this here. So it's not like he's trading pokemon for his medicine or well-being. Unless his eventual goal is to do this with all the members of his group when their journey is complete (which seems likely, I guess). So... hm. Not sure.

diamondpearl876

So Sai had his inevitable heel turn, but not in any way I could have seen coming. I'm curious as how Sai... poisoned?... Atis without his knowing. I didn't see any visual cues in there like Sai touching Atis' cupcake or Atis noticing a sharp sensation when Sai touched him or anything like that. So I wonder how that happened to Atis.

There's a very simple explanation that will be explained in the next chapter.

Some of the interactions in this chapter seemed a bit weird. Ezrem, especially. With his math jokes and talk of exploding gifts... he just seemed all over the place, and his dialogue didn't strike me as especially inspired. It just struck me as frenetic and odd. Rennio's voice was cute and endearing. Kuiora was heartfelt. Senori... I guess you set up what you did with him where he had his "knowing moments" with Atis, so he didn't have to have much of a voice, though I'd have preferred something... maybe some delayed gratitude for helping him reach his evolutionary state? Maybe some show of mutual respect? So all-in-all, maybe it was just Ezrem who was weird to me.

Eh, I guess I'm not used to writing characters like Ezrem so he's all over the place for me. And you're right, I could have added something between Senori and Atis. I'll remember that.

I'm harkening back a lot to the "I am always sick" chapter because that, obviously, is supposed to be setting up what is happening here. I don't see it, though. The thought I'm having is... if Atis wasn't going to leave, Sai wouldn't be doing this here. So it's not like he's trading pokemon for his medicine or well-being. Unless his eventual goal is to do this with all the members of his group when their journey is complete (which seems likely, I guess). So... hm. Not sure.

That is his eventual goal. All I can really say is that Sai was meant to do this with Atis (or someone else) a long time ago, but, alas, he tends to break the "rules".

diamondpearl876

SURVIVAL PROJECT
chapter 22 ; [KUIORA]
epitome

*​

I had heard many stories in the past, but the ones I remembered and told others held the most significance.

Once upon a time, there was a girl who loved a boy—and then the boy left and she didn't want to love him anymore. Though Sai was slowly regaining my trust, he hadn't quite reached the pedestal I had put him on all those months ago, when he cradled my emotions and told me I was the strongest pokémon he knew.

There were too many questions surrounding the boy, and no answers. I looked to my stories for answers, but I didn't like any of them. Once upon a time, there was a boy who loved a girl—and when the girl died by his hands, he couldn't stop loving her. Or vice versa. It could happen, right? I believed that if I sought my trainer's secrets, I would be in danger. If I didn't go after them, however, he too would be in danger.

There was also the story about Ezrem, who was important when it came to friendships and teaching me about what it means to be ordinary and flawed. Ezrem had burned down Ilex Forest and killed his trainer, just as the man in the story mourned his losses as the town accused him of starting the deadly house fire. That story's ending told me Ezrem would be permanently ruined by his recent wounds. I worried for his safety and his health, but there was little I could do.

I was conflicted about him as well. I wanted to believe he was a good pokémon, but he was set on proving otherwise. He had done unforgivable things, but he was trying. This fact made all the difference. I hoped a legendary pokémon would watch over him and keep him from suffering more.

Finally, there was the story about a girl who stole herts and never returned the favor. It occurred to me that I was a con, too. Sai cared for me and so did the rest of the team, but I hadn't shown them the respect they deserved. I focused on getting stronger instead. Thanks to the ceremony with Lynn and Comerhi, I realized that everyone was special in their own way. I was working on being as supportive as I needed to be, though I feared it was too late and karma was already coming for me.

It was strange, being surrounded by the truth. I had convinced myself that death was a myth, that I was invincible. I had been lying to myself, though the truth was right in front of me. The legendaries wouldn't lie to me, I knew. I just didn't want to believe them.

A story's ending could be undone...

That had to be true too.

Atis's departure came as a shock. I felt the same sensation I had before leaving Professor Elm's lab. Although I hadn't cared for the other pokémon, it was the familiarity that had made me comfortable there. And although Atis was quiet, his presence made everything calm and peaceful. Without him here, I could only see a large, empty hole that couldn't be replaced.

No one was able to sleep that night. We were thinking about our own life decisions. We were all silently asking Sai where he had gone with Atis, and what they had said to each other. Our thoughts might have consisted of consolation once, but now, they were full of fear as we wished that we had known earlier what we knew at this moment.

Sai came into the Pokémon Center room in a rush. He slammed the door and sobbed loudly, supposedly distressed over losing a pokémon on the team he tried hard to build. We couldn't pretend to sleep anymore, so we got up and offered kind words to Sai. We hugged him, gave him his medication and made him lay down. We sat in a circle around him on the bed and told jokes to each other, but there was one thing we didn't joke about as Sai cried all night.

The sun was peering in through the window on the far wall of the Pokémon Center when Sai announced, “We're... continuing with our journey. We're going to the gym.”

We were exhausted and emotionally drained, but no one protested. Sai stood up from the bed and opened the door, almost pushing us out of the room.

“Watch it, pal,” Ezrem said, frowning. That was all he retorted with, though, which was unusual for his talkative self. Senori didn't even have the energy to glare at him.

We made our way to the Ecruteak City pokémon gym. Sai walked slow, as if he were waiting for Atis to jump out of the bushes with a new perspective on life. The sun was fully visible in the sky now. It was just a speck in the daytime, and it was cold, distant and brighter than it had any right to be, especially when we were so consumed by dark feelings.

The gym had a more appropriate atmosphere for our team. It was eerily quiet, with three striking blue lights illuminating the main hallway. The man in the back stared at us like only a heartless man could. There was no trick to this place. I made sure to scan the hardwood floors for any traps, just in case.

Sai approached the man with caution. He kept his distance as he spoke. “Hello...” he said. “I'm here to face the gym leader. Is that you? If you don't mind, I'd like to fight now instead of making an appointment.”

The man lifted his arm, his sleeve falling down to reveal pale skin. He snapped his fingers and six more lights appeared in various locations. We could see him better, and he appeared less scary. He had spiky golden hair with a blue headband around his forehead, and a matching blue shirt with yellow cuffs. He wore plain jeans and even a smile! I scolded myself for being frightened. I should have known better than to believe in ghost stories.

“Hello,” he said. “My name is Morty—”

“Marty? Is that you?” Sai said, his jaw nearly dropping to the floor.

“No, no. I assume you're talking about the boy who came by saying he'd challenge me soon. Our names are similar, but that is not me.”

“Oh,” Sai said, his body relaxing. “I don't have to be afraid anymore, I suppose,” he added with a chuckle. “The Marty I know wouldn't hand me a gym badge even if I beat him ten times over.”

“Ah, yes. That would be a troublesome gym leader,” Morty agreed.

“Yes...” Sai said. He paused. “Can we battle now, then?”

“Sure. We will use two pokémon each,” Morty said. “I look forward to seeing your strength.”

Sai gestured toward me. “Kuiora, do you want to battle?” he asked.

Honestly, I didn't want to. I was tired and sad and I wanted the others to be stronger than me for once. I wanted to help Atis, wherever he was. I appreciated Sai's effort to let me fight first in every gym match, but it had to come to an end. I shook my head.

Sai nodded, as if he understood my reasoning. “Rennio probably isn't ready to fight. Uh, I'll use Senori, since he's evolved.”

“Sure,” Senori said, running on all fours to the center of the arena.

“A normal-type, huh? I'm sure you'll use some interesting moves,” Morty pondered, stroking his chin with one hand. He maximized a pokéball in his other hand and threw it forward. Out popped a ball of purple dust, one that had hands and the ability to float around.

“What... What is that thing?” Senori said.

“Who knows?” Sai said, shrugging. “But you're going to beat it, okay? Use tail whip!”

The battle was underway. Senori sprang toward his opponent, a gleam of weary determination in his eyes.

“Haunter, stay there,” Morty ordered with an air of confidence about him.

Morty's command made Senori stop before he fell for a trap like I had.

“What are you doing, Senori?” Sai called. “That would be a free hit! Tail whip!"

“Okay,” Senori said carefully, not wanting to upset his trainer any further. If it were me battling, I would have done the same.

Senori prepared to swing his tail. When he collided with the haunter, however, his tail went straight through, as if it were a—

Oh. The haunter was a ghost-type. That explained the layout of the gym and the leader's odd demeanor. But I didn't know normal-type attacks couldn't hurt ghost-types in any way, shape or form.

“You're joking,” Senori muttered to himself.

“Hmm. Try again! Tackle!”

The same thing happened. This time, Senori's entire body went through the haunter. He landed on the other side of the arena. The haunter looked completely unfazed.

Senori growled and said, “Sorry, Sai, but my new form is useless here.”

“Exactly,” Morty said. “You should have done your research before you came here. I hope you have something else going on in that head of yours, or this battle is as good as over.”

“I knew that already, but I had forgotten. I'm... a little out of it. If Atis were here,” Sai said, hanging his head, “I bet he would have warned me. He would know those kinds of things because he was a part of the school. He would...”

“Sai...” I said, tugging at his pants. He peered down at me but didn't see me. His eyes were stricken and confused.

“Ghost attacks don't effect normal-types, either. You've got some advantage. Not enough, though. Haunter, use sucker punch!” Morty cried.

Fortunately for the haunter, Senori was in close range. It drew a massive amount of dark energy to one of its floating hands and caused a shadow to appear in front of the furret. Senori was about to dodge when the haunter struck him in the stomach. Before he flew backward, the dark energy transferred to the haunter's other hand, and it struck Senori yet again.

“Senori!” I said as he lay there. “Are you sure none of your attacks would work?”

“I don't know elemental attacks!” he said forcefully, rubbing his stomach. “So yes, I'm sure.”

“Sai,” I said, poking him, “you should call Senori back. He'll get beat up!”

“You think so?” he said, as if he hadn't seen the haunter punch Senori. “Okay, Senori. Return.”

“If you call the furret back, you only have one pokémon left,” Morty explained.

“I'd rather lose than let him go on like that,” Sai said. He still didn't sound like his normal self. His voice was worse than it had been last night. “Senori, return,” he said again.

“Ghost-types are no joke, especially since this guy's a gym leader,” Senori said, running to us. “You should use whoever's strongest here.”

“But Rennio doesn't want to fight.”

“That's right. Sorry...” the young pokémon said.

“And Ezrem is injured. He isn't even my pokémon. Kuiora,” he said, turning to me, “you need to fight. If Atis were here, I guess I'd try using him... He's smart enough to figure something out...”

“Sai,” Senori said sternly, “I know you're sad that Atis left, but you can't let it bother you this much. You're in a gym battle, for crying out loud! Get yourself together.”

“I agree. Don't forget about your goals now!” I said, trying to be as encouraging as possible, though I didn't know the full extent of his goals. “Can't we have a normal gym battle for once?” I added, exasperated.

“You don't understand. You don't understand what I did to him. You don't—”

“I think that,” Morty interrupted, returning the haunter to its pokéball, “this battle is over. Come back when you are ready.”

And with that, he left us with our belittled and horrified trainer, but not before turning off the lights.

“Sai? What did you do with Atis? You didn't hurt him, did you?” I said, deciding to ignore the gym leader. We could always come back later, as he said. Sai would have to deal with breaking the rules once more.

“I didn't really hurt him. Someone else did. They're going to hurt him more, just like they hurt me,” Sai said in one breath.

“Who did, Sai? Where is Atis?” Senori all but demanded.

“I need to go. He's in... Mahogany Town. After all this time, I know exactly where it is! I don't want to know where it is, but I know where it is,” Sai said quickly. “Look, I need to go. Stay here. Don't follow me.”

He dashed out of the building, leaving all of us behind. We tried to search Ecruteak City for him, but he was nowhere to be found.

This was it. He had left us once again. It wasn't Rennio's fault. It wasn't anyone's fault, really, but we didn't want to be wild pokémon again. ...Well, a story's ending could be undone, right?

“At least we... have a lead this time,” Rennio said, trying to keep from crying. “Are we heading to Mahogany Town?”

“I have a feeling that none of us know where it is,” Ezrem said, “but yes, Rennio, I believe that is where we are going.”

We stood there, slinking our shoulders and tired bodies, imagining how far Mahogany Town might be. It could have been anywhere, even in another region. We didn't have a guide, food, water, money or a trainer. Without any of this, we couldn't find him. All we had was each other, and just barely.

Our pathetic team, for the moment, was the epitome of loss.

Last edited:

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down

SURVIVAL PROJECT
chapter 22 ; [KUIORA]
epitome

*​

I had heard of many stories in the past, but the ones that I remembered in my mind, along with the ones I told the others, seemed to be of most significance.

Once upon a time, there was a girl named Kuiora who loved a boy named Sai—and then the boy left her and she did not love him anymore. True. Not fiction. Fact. I had lost a ton of respect for Sai when he had disappeared on us, and he was slowly starting to gain my trust back, but he hadn’t quite reached the pedestal that I had put him on all those days ago, when he cradled my emotions and told me that I was the strongest pokémon he had.

I have to admit, this beginning catches me just a bit off guard. The "once upon a time" story reads like it could be the feelings Kuiora now has about Sai's actions earlier in the story, but given the entire context, this almost reads like something Kuiora would say some time in the future, as if there was a timeskip of some kind and the characters were looking back on the events of the story.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun with trying to reach a conclusion.

Still, the story made me wonder. Did it have any unknown relation to Sai? Did he feel that it was his duty to leave us and do whatever he had to do? Was he affiliated with any legendary pokémon that gave him the chance to go on a journey with us? There were so many questions surrounding the boy, and no answers. I thought that perhaps the story could give me answers, but I didn’t like any of them. It meant that one of us would die—probably me, if I chose to go after him. It would be just like the story. Once upon a time, there was a boy who loved a girl—and when the girl died by his hands, he could not stop loving her. The roles were reversed, but they could still ring true. I believed that if I sought to figure out my trainer, then I could potentially be in danger. I didn’t want that, but Sai was irresistibly mysterious and indispensable to me.

Yeah, this really reads like Kuiora narrating her thoughts in some sort of epilogue. There must be some meaning here that's just going over my head.

I do like the way Kuiora is explaining her thoughts, though. They are presented in an intelligent, articulate fashion that is pleasant to read. Also, the comments about the story that she keeps referring to relate quite well to the relationship between her and Sai, though that's part of what I don't understand - they relate so well that they contribute to the feeling that the story Kuiora is speaking of is her relationship with Sai.

And then… there was the story perfectly related to Ezrem, who was also an important part of my life when it came to friendships and teaching me more about what it means to be extraordinarily ordinary. He had recently told me that he burned down the forest and killed his trainer. In the story, a man was mourning his losses, and at the end, the town had accused him of killing his own wife and child by starting the house fire. It sounded perfectly applicable, almost scarily so. Again, I didn’t like the story’s ending. It meant that Ezrem would die of the burn wounds he had received lately. I worried incessantly for his safety and health once I figured out the connection between him and the stories.

Wait, I think I'm beginning to see a narrative here...

Despite my worry, I was still conflicted about him. I wanted to believe that he was a good pokémon, but he was dead set on proving otherwise. And the things he had done were… unforgivable, to say the least. But he was trying. This, I could tell, and it made all the difference. I could deal with him and his trickery if it meant that he was going to try harder for me and everybody else. I hoped that whatever legendary pokémon was watching over him would keep him from dying.

Wait, is he trying to earn forgiveness or to be a bad Pokemon? I don't fully grasp Kuiora's thoughts here.

Finally, there was the story about the thieving girl who stole hearts and never returned a single favor anyone gave her. While Ezrem was probably thinking that it was about him at the time (and I may have agreed with him… at the time), I believed that the story was about me. I was a con, a stealer of hearts, too. Sai obviously cared for me and so did Senori and Atis and everyone else, but I never showed any respect or love toward them. I only cared about myself getting stronger. Well, thanks to the ceremony with Lynn and the starmie, I had realized that everyone was special in their own way, and I was working on trying to be as supportive of others as I could possibly be. I feared for the karma that awaited me, but I hoped that the legendaries would find me to be inexorably invincible.

It was strange, being suddenly surrounded by the idea of death. I had told Ezrem that it was all a myth meant to scare children like me, but I had been lying. It was right in front of me, all the time, in these stories… and I knew that the legendaries wouldn’t lie to me. I just didn’t want to believe them, no matter how much I cherished them.

A story’s ending could be undone…

It had to be true.

I'm seeing some definite narrative threads now, and I'm not entirely sure I like where they're going. There's some bad stuff about to go down, isn't there?

The usage of stories as they relate to the characters is a good idea. It illustrates clearly what kind of paths each of them are very possibly set on.

It came as a shock to me when Atis left. It gave me the sensation that I had felt when I left Professor Elm’s lab. Although I hadn’t cared for the other pokémon, it was the familiarity that had made me feel comfortable there. And even though Atis was almost invisible to me, due to his quiet nature, his presence made everything feel more calm and peaceful. Without him there, I could only see a large, empty hole that couldn’t be filled.

Apparently, Sai was thinking the same, too.

It was safe to assume that no one was able to sleep the night that Atis left. We were all thinking about our own decisions to stay. We were all thinking about where Sai had gone with the hitmontop, and what they were saying to each other. Our thoughts had altered after seeing Sai leave, seeing Ezrem get burned, and seeing a fellow teammate leave. Before, the thoughts consisted of consolation. Now, they were full of fear and the sad feeling of wishing that we had known earlier what we knew at this moment.

Well, since none of us were sleeping when Atis left, no one was sleeping when Sai returned, either. He was in a rush when he closed the door. He was clearly sobbing, and we all believed we knew why. He was distressed over Atis leaving, over losing a pokémon on the team he had tried so hard to build. I vaguely wondered why he didn’t force Atis to stay with us, but I knew that it wasn’t in Sai’s best interests to do so.

After thinking more about what happened previously, I'm really beginning to feel that what Kuiora/the Pokemon feel is disconnected from what Sai is actually doing. I can't help but see a bit more of a sinister overtone against what's happening, even though I truly don't want to.

For example, Sai crying is one thing, but I note very cautiously that Kuiora said they all believed they knew why he was doing so. His being in a rush could very easily be due to doing something he didn't want to be caught doing, just as much as it could be out of sadness.

When Sai’s demeanor was finally more serene, he immediately announced, “We’re continuing with our journey… We’re going to the gym.”

The sun had just started rising and peering in through the shut window on the far wall of the pokémon center room. We were all exhausted and emotionally drained, but no one protested. Sai stood up from the bed—where he had been all night—and opened the door, almost pushing us out of the room.

“Watch it, pal,” Ezrem said, frowning at the boy, but that was all he retorted with, which was unusual for his normal talkative self. Senori didn’t even seem to have the energy to glare back at him.

We slowly made our way to the Ecruteak City pokémon gym. Sai was walking slow compared to his preferred swift pace. The sun was fully visible in the sky now. It was just a speck in the daytime, and it was cold, distant… It was brighter than it had any right to be. It still seemed to be dark in my heart. Our hearts.

There is something very strange going on here that goes far deeper than just what we saw of Atis's departure.

The gym had a more appropriate atmosphere for our team. It was eerie and shallow, to say the least. The gym was almost completely dark, with only three striking blue lights on either side. It was enough to illuminate the leader that stood in the back of the room, looking at us emotionlessly, as if he were nothing but a lifeless, heartless man. The simplicity of it all sent shivers down my spine. I found it odd that there was no trick to this place. The Violet City gym was intentionally open for flying-type pokémon. Azalea Town was purposefully made into a forest to encourage growth, and in Goldenrod City, there had been a maze. Here, there was nothing but a few lights, brown hardwood floors, and a… man, if you could even call him that.

Even Sai approached the “man” with caution. He kept his distance as he spoke: “Hello… I’m here to face the gym leader. Is that you? If you don’t mind, I’d like to fight now instead of making an appointment.”

The man lifted his arm, his sleeve falling down to reveal pale skin underneath. He snapped his fingers, and six more lights were suddenly lit up in various locations. We could see him a lot better. He had spiky golden hair with a blue headband around his forehead, and he had a matching blue shirt with yellow cuffs. He wore plain jeans, and now, he looked more alive and human. He was even smiling! I slapped myself for falling for the joke and letting him scare me. I should have known better than to fall for the tricks of a man who obviously wanted us to believe in ghost stories that I already knew were fake. Though the odd connection between my team and some stories made me really wonder if they were fake.

“Hello,” he said. “My name is Morty, and—”

“Marty? Is that you?” Sai said, his jaw nearly dropping the floor.

“No, no. Morty, not Marty. I assume you’re talking about the boy who just recently came by to say he would be challenging me soon. Our names are similar, but that is not me.”

“Oh,” Sai said, his body relaxing. “I don’t have to be afraid anymore, I suppose,” he added, chuckling. It made me smile. “The Marty I know wouldn’t hand me a gym badge even if I beat him ten times over.”

There's another strike in the corner that says Sai has severe social issues for whatever reason, if he has trouble with associating names to identities.

“Ah, yes, that would be a troublesome gym leader,” Morty agreed.

“Yes,” Sai said. There was a pause. “Can we battle now, then?”

“Sure. We will use two pokémon each,” Morty said. “I look forward to seeing your strength.”

Sai looked over to me. “Kuiora,” he said, “do you want to battle?”

If I was being honest, I didn’t want to. I was tired and sad and I wasn’t particularly focused on being stronger anymore. I wanted to help Atis, wherever he was. I appreciated Sai’s efforts to make it a point to let me fight first in every gym match, but he had to come to an end. I shook my head no.

“Okay,” Sai said, nodding, as if he could read my thoughts. “Rennio probably isn’t ready to fight yet. Uh. I’ll use Senori, then, since he just evolved.”

“Sure,” Senori said simply, running on all fours to get to the middle of the arena.

“A normal-type, huh? I’m sure you’ll have some interesting moves up your sleeve, then, if that’s the case,” Morty pondered, stroking his chin with one hand. He maximized a pokéball that I just noticed was in his other hand, and he threw it forward, bringing forth what looked like a spiky ball of purple dust… one that had hands and the ability to float around.

I don't think Senori is going to win, due to type disadvantage. In fact, I'm willing to venture a guess as far out as Sai losing and that being the major event that pushes him toward some final break.

“What… What is that thing?” Senori asked.

“Who knows?” Sai said. “But you’re going to beat it, okay? Use tail whip!”

And like that, the battle was underway. Senori sprang toward the purple cloud of dust, a gleam of weary determination in his eyes.

“Haunter, just stay there for a moment,” Morty ordered calmly.

This made Senori halt his momentum. He was able to come to a complete stop before running into the haunter and falling for whatever trap the gym leader was trying to pull.

“What are you doing, Senori? That would be a free hit! Tail whip!”

“Okay…” Senori said carefully, probably not wanting to upset his trainer any further. If it were me in the battle, I would do the same.

I don't see this ending well at all. Something bad is coming, I know it.

“Are you sure you want to do that? If you call the furret back, then you only have one pokémon left,” Morty said.

“I’d rather lose once than let my pokémon continuously get hurt for no reason,” Sai said, though he still didn’t sound like his normal self. His voice sounded forced and hurt more than it had when he had been crying last night. My heart ached for him. “Senori, return,” he said again.

This situation is going to explode very soon, I can feel it. Sai's just so far out of it now that I think we may have passed the point of no return.

“You should use whoever’s strongest here,” Senori advised. “These ghost-types are no joke. They’re really tough, and they’re probably even more tough than usual since they belong to a gym leader.”

“But Rennio doesn’t want to fight, right?” he said, looking at the elekid.

“That’s right. Sorry… I have to prepare myself yet again…” the young pokémon replied.

“And Ezrem is injured… He’s not even my pokémon… Kuiora, you need to fight, okay? If Atis were here, I guess I’d try using him… He’d be smart enough to figure something out…” Sai trailed off, lost in thought. He appeared to be out of commission yet again.

“Sai,” Senori said, “I know you’re sad that Atis left, but you can’t let it bother you too much. You’re in a gym battle, for crying out loud! Get yourself together!”

“I agree. Don’t lose sight of your goal now!” I said, trying to be as encouraging as possible. “Can’t we have a normal gym battle for once?” I added, exasperated. I found that Senori was much better at handling these sorts of things and that I’d have to work on it.

“You don’t understand. You don’t understand what I did to him. You don’t—”

Oh dear God, here it goes.

Now might be a good point to mention that I didn't actually realize Atis was poisoned at the end of the previous chapter. I thought he was having a strong emotional reaction that manifested itself physically.

“I think that,” Morty interrupted, returning the haunter to its pokéball, “for the moment, this battle is over. Come back when you are ready.”

“Sai? What did you do with Atis? You didn’t hurt him, did you?” I said, ignoring the gym leader. We could always come back later, as he said. Sai would just have to deal with breaking the rules once more. I watched as the gym leader turned and disappeared in the shadows, turning off the lights yet again. We were shrouded in darkness.

“I didn’t really hurt him. Someone else did. They’re going to hurt him more, just like they hurt me,” Sai said frantically. He was speaking so quickly that Senori and I were having trouble keeping up.

Wait, what? Now I'm really suspicious...

“Who did, Sai? Where is Atis?”

“I need to go. He’s in Mahogany Town. After all this time, of course I know exactly where it is! I don’t want to know where it is, but I know where it is,” Sai said, out of breath. “Look, I need to go,” he said again. “Stay here. Don’t follow me.”

Just like he had during the Goldenrod City gym breakdown, he turned and dashed out of the building, leaving all of us behind. And just like before, when we left the place and searched all over for him, he was nowhere to be found.

“At least we have a lead this time,” Rennio said thoughtfully, trying to keep from crying. “Are we heading to Mahogany Town?”

“I have a feeling that none of us know where it is,” Ezrem said, and I nodded to him, “but yes, Rennio, I believe that is where we are going.”

We all stood there, slinking our shoulders and tired bodies, wondering where in the world Mahogany Town was. It could have been anywhere. We didn’t have a guide, or food, or water, or money, or a trainer. Again. Without any of this, we couldn’t get anywhere, anyway. All we had was each other, and just barely.

Our pathetic team, for the moment, was the epitome of loss.

Now with Mahogany Town involved, I feel safe in guessing now that Team Rocket is involved in this somehow, and Sai has ties to them in some way. I suspected it from his breakdown in Goldenrod City but I haven't felt truly confident in putting it out there until now.

This chapter answered some questions, while at the same time raising plenty more. I don't know what more I can really say - at least we have a clear plot thread to drive us through to the end, and some idea of what may happen next. Beyond that, I'm just along for the ride and enjoying every minute.

diamondpearl876

I have to admit, this beginning catches me just a bit off guard. The "once upon a time" story reads like it could be the feelings Kuiora now has about Sai's actions earlier in the story, but given the entire context, this almost reads like something Kuiora would say some time in the future, as if there was a timeskip of some kind and the characters were looking back on the events of the story.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun with trying to reach a conclusion.

It makes sense. I think it's more poor writing on my part, since it confuses you. Sorry about that.

Wait, is he trying to earn forgiveness or to be a bad Pokemon? I don't fully grasp Kuiora's thoughts here.

In a sense, he's trying to do both. He's trying to be a bad pokemon because he knows he doesn't deserve good things but he still wants those good things and to be forgiven... if that makes sense.

For example, Sai crying is one thing, but I note very cautiously that Kuiora said they all believed they knew why he was doing so. His being in a rush could very easily be due to doing something he didn't want to be caught doing, just as much as it could be out of sadness.

Yes, I'm glad you pointed this out. His pokemon are totally out of the loop in terms of knowing what's going on.

There's another strike in the corner that says Sai has severe social issues for whatever reason, if he has trouble with associating names to identities.

I wouldn't read too much into this, I just thought Morty and Marty's names were similar and thought it would be a quirk to add in there. Morty could barely be seen because of the darkness, too, so it's not a visual thing.

This situation is going to explode very soon, I can feel it. Sai's just so far out of it now that I think we may have passed the point of no return.

You like to point out all the suspense that's going on, and I guess that's good. XD It means I'm doing something right...

Now might be a good point to mention that I didn't actually realize Atis was poisoned at the end of the previous chapter. I thought he was having a strong emotional reaction that manifested itself physically.

It wasn't meant to be clear at the time.

Now with Mahogany Town involved, I feel safe in guessing now that Team Rocket is involved in this somehow, and Sai has ties to them in some way. I suspected it from his breakdown in Goldenrod City but I haven't felt truly confident in putting it out there until now.

This chapter answered some questions, while at the same time raising plenty more. I don't know what more I can really say - at least we have a clear plot thread to drive us through to the end, and some idea of what may happen next. Beyond that, I'm just along for the ride and enjoying every minute.

Yep, Team Rocket is involved, that's for sure.

Thanks for commenting!

This story is still alive right? I've really enjoyed it so far. I even made an account on this site just to write this comment mang, hook me up with an update.

Yes, this story is still alive. Thanks for reading and commenting!

diamondpearl876

SURVIVAL PROJECT
chapter 23 ; [SENORI]
armageddon

*​

Sai's breakdown in Ecruteak City had to be the worst of them all. His eyes were insatiably wild, as if they were about to roll into the back of his head and make him pass out. Instead he ran off, struggling with wobbly knees. He screamed about how Mahogany Town was such a wretched place, and then came along obscene words about what he would do to it if he ever got the chance. It seemed Sai was only violent because he deemed it necessary to be so, since I could never picture him doing it out of malice.

Sai darted off too fast, as if to make a point about us not following him. I could understand, though, wanting to put to an end the city that had apparently ruined his life. Still, I felt guilty about his second disappearance. I was responsible for Sai's overall well-being, but I knew no more about how to control him than I did my own life.

We knew where he was going. That was our only consolation. It would have been ever better if we knew how to get there.

“The fact that none of us are human is really a catastrophe. Then again, if we weren't pokémon, we wouldn't be in this mess,” I said. I was trying to keep everyone's spirits up, but I was failing.

Ezrem shook his head. “I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to be human, just to go somewhere,” he said.

“Agreed,” Rennio said woefully.

Kuiora remained quiet. I knew she loved being a pokémon, but it would've been nice to not be helpless and reliant on a trainer.

We stood awkwardly at the gym's entrance, ignoring passers-by. It was strange for a pack of pokémon to be out and about by themselves. It was good that no one could understand us talking about our missing trainer, or perhaps they could call the police, like Marty had threatened once.

And then it hit me. Marty. Marty knew Sai and his untamed personality. As soon as that boy saw us, he would question us and do something about the situation. The search could lead to some unfavorable consequences, but at this point, I was desperate.

“It's risky,” I said to the team, “but I think I know who to find.”

The most obvious place to look was the Pokémon Center. That was where most trainers decided to rest, after all. Inside, the four of us disregarded stares as we went from room to room, knocking on each door. We split up, though Rennio stayed by my side because he wasn't sure what Marty looked like. Some people answered, and when I didn't recognize them, I bowed in apology and moved on. In the end, no one found Marty.

“It was a good idea,” Ezrem said. I was grateful for his presence. “But it didn't work.”

“And we don't have time to wait for him here, do we?” I said. I rubbed my chin, making it seem like I was thinking. I was spacing out, but it was okay to pretend for once.

Next we checked the fancy restaurant and the pokémart. We scoured the entirety of both buildings, but we got kicked out for causing a disturbance or, more realistically, for being considered wild pokémon.

We were more lost than we were before.

“Ecruteak City has a lot of history behind it, right?” Kuiora said.

“Right,” I said. Even I knew about the towers in the north without the croconaw telling me.

“That means there's lots of visitors, right? Like... Professor Elm was famous, so people would come to New Bark Town just to see him. I think they stayed in hotels. Maybe Ecruteak has something like that.”

“A brilliant idea, Kuiora,” Ezrem said, hopping over to her. He was getting along well without the use of both wings. “Let's go find one.”

I hadn't wanted to explore unknown buildings, in case we weren't allowed in, but Kuiora had a point when she said Marty might be there. I nodded and went along with them. So we went to each building, choosing to look in the windows rather than trespassing. We saw normal houses, more restaurants, a dance hall... I saw Kuiora take a peek into the towers, though she clearly knew they weren't part of a hotel. She reminded me of when I tied to get Sai to quit stalking others, but I wished we could do that all over again. Back then, things somehow made more sense than they did now.

Eventually, Rennio spotted the hotel, saying he recognized the bellboys walking up the stairs with trays in their hands. We rushed in eagerly and avoided anyone who might call security on us. Again, we went from room to room, knocking and hoping.

By some great stroke of luck, we found Marty on the third floor. He opened the door and looked around confusedly. I went up to him and stood on his shoes to get his attention. He rubbed his eyes, and I assumed he had just woken up.

“A furret?” he said, then yawned. “And a croconaw... I've seen that rufflet before. Sai's team?”

I nodded furiously. “Sai isn't here,” I said, even though he couldn't understand me. I had to say it to make it feel real.

Marty was fully alert now, anyway. “What the hell?” he said in a whisper. “What are you guys doing here?”

“Sai isn't here,” I said, holding back tears. They had snuck up on me when I least expected them. I motioned for Marty to come with us.

“Do you need me for something?” he said, not moving an inch.

I pulled him harder. The rest of the team looked up ta him pleadingly, unable to articulate a single sound.

“I don't know what you want... I'm sorry... Here, maybe Gracie will know,” Marty said. He got away from my grasp and disappeared for a moment. He returned with the fire-type pokémon I had fought way back when. She had evolved since then. She had maroon-colored eyes, and her body was longer and more slender, though her cream-colored fur hadn't changed. She shot flames out of her head at us, as if to shoo us away.

“You've grown,” I said stupidly. How could I start a conversation about a crazy teenage boy who had disappeared on a whim?

“You too,” Gracie said. “What do you guys need? This is a little, um, different...”

“Our trainer is... missing. He went to Mahogany Town, and we have no idea where it is. We were hoping Marty would know. We only know him and Sasha...” I said, trailing off. I hadn't realized I was talking as fast as Sai had been. It seemed that I had adopted some of his idiosyncrasies.

I smiled widely when she replied, “We've been there once or twice. I'm sure we can take you there.”

“Oh, geez, this is great. Thank you so much,” I said, attempting to hug her.

“Watch out for the fire-type,” Ezrem said, grabbing the scruff of my neck.

"Ahem,” I said, leaving that clumsy situation just to head into another one. “I don't mean to be pushy, but can we go now? We don't want him to get himself hurt or lost.” I didn't say he had done it once before.

“Of course,” she said. “One minute.”

Gracie somehow conveyed the situation to Marty, who told Sasha what was happening. Gracie led all seven of us out of the hotel and took us to the eastern edge of town. I had a feeling that the only reason Marty was listening was because it was his own pokémon. If it weren't for Gracie, we wouldn't be going anywhere at all.

When we reached a gate, Gracie pointed to a sign and signaled for Marty to look at it.

That was when Marty got angry.

“Are you kidding me? Sai went to Mahogany Town and left his pokémon here?” he said. Suddenly I didn't want to be the leader of the team. Ezrem could take the heat for this one.

“Marty,” Sasha said serenely, “maybe he had a reason to go. We don't know anything yet. Let's get his pokémon to him.”

“Fine,” Marty muttered, walking ahead of us now.

Sasha turned to us. “I'm sorry about him, guys,” she said. “We'll find Sai. It'll be all right.”

Despite everything, I had to admit I wasn't optimistic this time around. Sure, I was certain that we would find him, but I wasn't so certain about us being glad when we did.

We went on. The guard waved at us, and it was a relief to not be given menacing looks. Sasha waved back and smiled. She was always kind to us, exceedingly so. It was preferable to her brother, who had quite a temper and easily held grudges toward others. I remembered hearing Marty's story at the pokémon fan club and was somehow happy he was here, anyway. More than anything, he cared about us, even if we weren't his.

I caught up with Gracie, excited by this revelation. “I know why Marty was so keen on battling us before,” I said. It seemed like a perfectly pleasant way to start a conversation.

The quilava flinched. “You do?” she said. “I don't... I don't know what you're talking about.”

Marty interrupted the beginning of our talk. We had reached a crossroad, where we could either enter a cave or surf through a narrow river. I could already see the other side of the latter path. I could deal with Gracie being distracted if it meant Sai was over there.

“Well, there's no way I'm spending a week in a cave for Sai's sake,” Marty said, sighing. “So we're going over the river.” He drew a plain pokéball from his belt and threw it casually into the water. A massive water-type floated to the surface. It had long blue fins that resembled a flying-type's wings. A pair of antennae sat on its head, swishing around with the joy of being released. Its beady black eyes looked at us expectantly

“She can help us, guys,” Marty said. “Marin, I need you to do us a favor. Do you think you can carry all of us?”

Marin analyzed the group. Her face scrunched up when her gaze met Kuiora's. “The croconaw can swim,” she said sourly, and then she smiled.

“Fantastic,” Sasha said, stepping toward the edge of the river. Marin got close enough to her, so she could climb on her back without falling over.

Marty did the same. “Do you want to go in your pokéball, Gracie?” he asked.

“No,” the fire-type said. “I have to get over my fear sometime, right?”

So the quilava was scared of water. It was typical for a fire-type. I thought maybe that was why she flinched at my presence, but soon I would learn that that had nothing to do with it.

Kuiora lowered herself into the river. She started to mention the last time she could swim freely, but then stopped. After that, the rest of us hopped on Marin. Gracie stood on her hind legs behind Marty, and I went next to her. Rennio and Ezrem sat in Marty and Sasha's laps respectively.
Sasha noticed Ezrem pretty quickly. “Your poor wings,” she said. “What happened to you?”

Ezrem didn't answer.

“Hmm,” Marty said. He avoided looking at Ezrem, as if his wounds were too much to bear. “I suppose we're off.”

Marin turned around so that she was facing our destination. A few seconds later she was wading through the water at a peaceful pace that kept us all balanced.

It occurred to me that it could be a long ride, so I said to Gracie, “But yeah, I know what Marty went through. He told the pokémon fan club everything.”

“Oh,” Gracie said simply and without emotion. She was shy, and perhaps I was pushing too far, but I needed something to distract me from Sai.

“Do you know anything about it? You're part of the family, after all. Marty's father was... Well, he was abusive.”

“...I was originally supposed to be a pet. I was in the house when he did terrible things. It was because of that man that Marty left home. He doesn't like his father... as you could probably guess,” Gracie finished.

Though she was speaking more, she was being vague. A part of my heart instantly ached for her, knowing now that was fearful of touching in general. I almost slapped myself because I hadn't seen the truth sooner.

“Well...” I said, not wanting to force her to admit anything she didn't want to. I hated talking about my clan, and similarly, she probably hated talking about Marty's father. “Would you be a pet again if you could?”

“It doesn't matter to me either way,” Gracie said. “It's just... Marty can be overwhelming. You know how he's acted with your trainer. He acts the same with everyone, even if the trainer doesn't seem too bad. Sasha's the only one who can keep him sane.”

Gracie didn't know that I knew what was going on inside her head. I felt like I was invading her mind and making her spill all of its contents against her will, when in reality I was doing no such thing. We were also betraying Marty's privacy. We were talking about a very intimate part of his past, and right in front of him, no less.

To avoid feeling more guilt, I kept quiet. It was Gracie who intentionally went on and said, “I wish that he'd leave it alone and let me forget.”

“You'll move on,” I said. “I don't know how exactly, but you will. I did, too, so I know you can.”

“Thanks...” Gracie said.

The trip was relatively quiet from then on. Sasha murmured something about Ezrem's wings occasionally, and she checked on them often to make sure the bandages were tight. Marty made a comment about dropping Rennio in the water and accidentally electrocuting us all. Kuiora accompanied us on our journey with gurgling sounds as she enjoyed her swim.

I thought about Gracie. I thought about myself, my team and Sai. I originally thought that nothing bad could happen to me, that once I was banished, my story was the most unique in the world and no one else's could ever compare. Like most older pokémon, I thought I knew everything I needed to know. When I met Sai, I realized I'd been a total idiot and that I needed a lot more focus in my life. I worked hard as his pokémon, and when it dawned on me that my heart wasn't necessarily my best friend, I tried even harder to beat it. I evolved and got rid of my tail, my last connection to the clan. Now, as Sai's relocation was a hair's breadth away, I felt that everything I knew was wrong, that my perspective was utterly indefensible, and that there are no objective standards for anything anyone could imagine, including the concept of age. When you think about it, you see there's not much creativity there. Humans and pokémon alike created age as a hierarchy of artificial goals because we wanted to be able to explain how the world works.

To redeem myself I could only spend the remaining time in my life with my team. To do that, I needed Sai to come back safely.

Mahogany Town seemed pleasant enough. It looked like the humanized version of a forest. I would have loved to spend more time there, if we weren't on the lookout for our renegade trainer. The buildings were built with green-colored bricks and topped with black roofs. The grass seemed well taken care of, especially since there was no pavement. Several carriages lined the makeshift roads building, with a crowd of people waiting for their turn to buy whatever goods they could.

Not a single person looked like they wanted to be somewhere else in the world. We, of course, effectively ruined that trend. We wanted to be at the Ecruteak City gym with Atis again, while Marty, Sasha and Gracie most likely wanted to lay cozily in their hotel room.

“Let's start looking,” Marty said. As expected, his mood was growing lower and lower by the minute.

Sasha took over the hard part for Marty, saying that Marty would talk bad about Sai and then we'd never find him. She spoke to anyone who would talk back, asking them if they had seen a boy of about sixteen years passing by. Some people told her to get back in line, and others told her there weren't many teenagers in town.

“Skinny but decently tall, black hair, blue eyes... Plain clothes...” she said, adding anything that would make Sai stand out. His personality would surely stand out, but...

Finally, someone answered nonchalantly, “I saw a boy like that. Hard not to miss him when he's shovin' everyone out the way. He went to the lab over there.” The woman pointed to a lone metallic building to the east.

“Thank you,” Sasha said, bowing curtly. She strode over to the laboratory with us, as if she too were in a hurry.

“Of all places, he sent Atis to a lab?” Ezrem scoffed. “Maybe Atis left us to be a lab rat.”

“Shut up,” I said. “Sai wouldn't do that, and Atis wouldn't agree with him if he did.”

Ezrem coughed. Rennio shrunk back and stood behind the bird. Kuiora glanced at the building in awe, never having seen something more creepy yet fascinating. Gracie didn't react, and Atis... He wasn't here with us. He was in this building with Sai.

Marty barged right on in, fists clenched. He wouldn't hesitate punching Sai in the face if given the opportunity. My team was more reluctant this time, but we couldn't back down now.

The first floor was anticlimactic. I didn't know what we expected to see, but what we got was an empty floor with a simple counter, much like the ones we saw at Pokémon Centers. A fountain stood in the middle of the room, with house plants and chairs surrounding it. There was a guard blocking the upstairs.

Marty approached the guard and said, “Excuse me, but we were told our friend came through here. We really need to see him. Would you let us through?”

“Sorry,” the guard said in a husky voice with the slightest hint of an accent, “but no one is allowed upstairs. Authorized personnel only.”

“Like hell the guy's authorized to be in a place like this,” Marty said, eyebrows raised with suspicion. “He can barely tell his right foot from his left.”

“If he was able to get upstairs,” the guard said firmly, “then he was authorized.”

Marty grit his teeth. “I didn't come all this way to be told that Sai is mysterious and that I should let him stay that way. Let us through.”

“The answer is no.”

“Marty...” Sasha said, about to lightly touch him on the shoulder, but it was too late.

Marty gestured Gracie to attack. She obeyed him, dashing forward and knocking the guard backward. His head hit the tile floor and he groaned. Marty thanked her and stepped over the guard. Though we were stunned, we followed.

The second floor stunned us further. Along the walls were several computers and full desks where people sat, wearing white coats. They experimented with the vials in front of them, then held their clipboards and scribbled on them with their pens furiously. A large machine hung from the ceiling in the center of the room. Part of it was connected with the ground and a cot. On the cot lay a purple snake-like pokémon, and it writhed in pain as a man took notes next to it.

Soon the machine buzzed and there was a ton of screaming.

“Keep going until you find him!” Marty yelled to us.

We scrambled to the second set of stairs. The scientists looked at us with curiosity, and once they figured out we were intruders, they panicked and demanded we be destroyed. On the third floor, it was quieter, aside from the heavy breathing of two pokémon fighting to the death. A serious practice match was taking place in a field marked by white chalk. Blood stained the floor and dripped from the pokémons' mouths while the trainers looked on, unscathed.

“What the hell is going on here?” one of them asked.

“I swear... If I see Sai touch one of these pokémon like those bastards, I'm gonna pound his skull in,” Marty said. Sasha didn't protest as her hand was raised over her mouth in shock. They had caught up to us without our noticing.

...There was something wrong with this laboratory. There was something even more wrong with the fact that our trainer was associated with it. More and more questions arrived as we went on.

“Attack the intruders!” said an unfamiliar voice. Behind us we saw some scientists pursuing us.

The two battling men nodded to each other. One said, “You heard the guy. Attack 'em, Granbull!”

“Join him, Sunflora!” cried the second man.

“Oh, this is such a joke,” Marty said, rolling his eyes. “You mean to fight with two injured pokémon? I'm just trying to find someone. Out of my way.”

“No can do,” said a scientist behind us. He released his pokémon along with the other scientists with him. I didn't bother to get a good look at our opponents. I wanted to find Sai, leave and forget any of this had ever happened...

“Senori,” Marty said harshly as he released Halcyon and Marin, “go find your goddamn trainer. Tell Sai I'm gonna beat the crap out of him. Me and Sasha will be fine here.”

“Sure...” I said. “Come on, guys!”

I darted forward and crossed the arena. The granbull tried to catch my tail in between its teeth, but I narrowly escaped. The sunflora aimed for Ezrem, but the flying-type used his beak to make the grass-type shrink back and cradle its own wounds. Kuiora and Rennio got by without a problem, unless you counted Rennio's sobbing as problematic.

“I want Annie!” he cried, then stopped moving. Kuiora picked him up and carried him the rest of the way. Rennio realized his uselessness and suddenly begged to fight.

“Not now,” Ezrem said.

The fourth and fifth floors were standard rooms with more desks and machines. On these floors were individual offices for the people who worked here. The enclosed walls offered us some privacy and the chance to crawl by without being noticed. Kuiora let out a sigh of relief, but that was the only sound anyone dared to make.

We traipsed through each and every floor, scouting for Sai. Pokémon chased us and tried to trick us, but to no avail. As confused as we were, we knew tricks when we saw them. And by the the time the other scientists saw us, we were already on the way to the next floor. We couldn't be stopped, except we intentionally stopped around the seventeenth floor. The seventeenth floor imitated a modernized living room. There was a leather couch with a wooden coffee table in front of it, as well as some house plants in each corner, giving the room a rather relaxing atmosphere.

We were anything but relaxed, however. Where was Sai? Why was he a part of the laboratory? Where was Atis and what kind of tests were they running on him? We had been asking for so long... Weren't we entitled to some answers by now?

The answers lay beyond the next door. I could tell because there were no more stairs. There were no more chances. And from the light that was pouring through the bottom, it seemed that the door led outside.

“Well, guys,” I said, out of breath, “he's here. Or not. Whichever you prefer.”

Sai indeed was at the top of the building. Physically, he was unharmed, but he wasn't alone and that seemed to bother him as he swayed back and forth. Atis stood, shuddering, about ten feet in front of him, along with a woman I didn't know. She was short and small in stature, but she had a firm grasp on the fighting-type's arm.

“You have some friends here to see you,” the woman said, eyebrows raised.

“Mother, please—” Sai tensed up. His eyes went wide with amazement as he saw us.

Why wasn't his mother in Vermilion City, his hometown? Was that another lie he told us? She didn't look like him, either. She had green eyes and brown, highlighted hair.

“You've grown, Sai,” the woman went on. “You have such loyal pokémon now... just like you always wanted.” She squeezed Atis's arm, and he shook harder. “And you look even more like your father than before. You've got the same wild, lonely look in your eyes. Are you still lonely, Sai?”

“Stop it!” Sai snapped at her. “I want Atis back. Give me Atis back right now...!”

“You willingly gave me the hitmontop. You let us poison him so we could capture him. And you're telling me you want to take it all back?” she said, a taunting tone present in her voice.

I gasped. Sai couldn't have have been so unnaturally cruel...

“I am,” Sai said. “I thought... I thought I could abide by your rules, if it meant I could be free. I can't do it, though. I won't.” His words sounded more reassuring, but I was beyond confused. I stood there with the others, frozen in place.

“You were ordered to prepare pokémon like this and to give them to us. You've done exactly so. We thank you for it.”

“No! I want him back! I've seen what you guys do to pokémon. You call yourself Team Rocket and say you're trying to make the world a better place, but I've seen what you do! It's nothing good. Nothing good at all. I won't put Atis through that. I won't—”

“And then you will never see the light of day again. That was the deal, was it not? I created this project to save you, Sai, and to give you a life you've always dreamed of...”

“I never wanted this! I never did. I only did it because you promised me things would get better. But they never got better! Not even for a second!”

“It's not my fault you believed me,” the woman said evenly, but her words didn't match the ruined expression on her face.

“You promised...” He sobbed as he pulled out the knife he had bought in Goldenrod City. He held it toward her, as if he'd been waiting for this moment all his life.

“Are you going to hurt me, Sai? Just as I've supposedly hurt you?” she asked.

“Why not? You like weapons. You love them so much that you named me after one. How nice of you,” he said sarcastically between sobs. “Give Atis back. I don't want to have to use this.”

The woman frowned, but she let go of Atis and put her hands in the air. Atis ran quicker than I had ever seen him run before. I saw real terror in his eyes as he approached. I went up to him and hugged him, but he said there was no time for a reunion.

“We've got to get Sai out of here,” he said. “Before he goes crazy. Please, Senori, you've got to talk to him and... and...” He trailed off, unable to continue.

Sai wasn't fond of this woman, but she knew more about him than any of us did. “If she knows Sai,” I said slowly, “maybe she can help us.”

Sai heard me. “Don't talk to her! She's tell you all the bad things I've done. Even if what she says isn't true, she's won. She always wins...” Sai said, his arm twitching as he stared directly at her.

“Sai,” his mother said. “Just as you weren't allowed to be close to your pokémon, I'm not allowed to be close to you. I'm your mother. Why else would I act like this toward my only son? I don't want to do this. Please understand and put the knife down.”

“No,” Sai said. “I won't. I'm done listening to you.”

“...Then you will pay for it.”

“Please, Senori,” Atis begged again. “You have to do something.”

I felt as if I lived to help Sai, but... he already seemed too far gone.

Last edited:

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down

SURVIVAL PROJECT
chapter 23 ; [SENORI]
armageddon

*​

Oh, just from that chapter title, I can tell this ain't gonna be good.

There's a certain poetic justice to it being a Senori chapter as we draw ever closer to the end, though.

Out of all of Sai’s breakdowns, the one in the Ecruteak City gym had to be the worst. His dark blue eyes, which had been reliably switching from crazy to sane in the past within a matter of moments, were completely, insatiably wild now. I would have even said they looked like they were about to roll into the back of his head, and then he would inevitably pass out. No such thing happened, but it was close. Instead, he ran off (again), his body moving in an odd zigzag pattern, as his knees were wobbly. He was screaming about Mahogany Town, and how much of a wretched place it had been all of his life, and he was screaming about all of the obscene things he would do to the place if he ever got the chance. It was the first time that I had ever heard him want to be violent, aside from the time where he had attacked me. I had come to the conclusion, though, that he had done it out of necessity, not out of malice.

This paragraph is very, very troubling, and I think that's because of how much detail Senori gives about Sai's breakdown.

And again, he was nowhere to be found when we left the gym. He had darted off quite fast, making it a point so that we wouldn’t follow him. It was either that or he was really in a hurry to put an end to the city that had apparently ruined his life. I remembered the last time that he had disappeared on us… It was safe to assume that all of us had lost some respect for him as a trainer, and that we had suffered for it. We had been cast off as wild pokémon, gotten our belongings stolen, and I had been beaten by a lady with a broom because I was, undoubtedly, trying to steal from others as a sort of revenge.

Admittedly, and unsurprisingly, I was feeling guilty over Sai’s second disappearance. I had finally found the path to moving on from my clan’s banishment by evolving, and now, since I was no longer focused on only myself, I was supposed to be helping my trainer. I still felt responsible for his overall well being. But after all this time, I had learned next to nothing about his past life, his tendencies, and his emotions. I knew no more about how to control him than I did my own life.

I have to say, as chilling as this all is, the fact we're getting it all from the perspective of one of the trainer's Pokemon is still really fascinating. One of this story's great strengths has always been its unique presentation of the Pokemon/trainer relationship.

The only consolation we had was that we knew where he was going.

It would have been even better if we knew how to get there.

“The fact that none of us are humans is really a catastrophe. Then again, if we weren’t pokémon, we wouldn’t be in this mess,” I said, trying to keep everyone’s spirits up, but I was failing.

“I can’t tell you how many times that I’ve wished I was human, just to find a place. This is one of those times,” Ezrem said, shaking his head.

“Agreed,” said Rennio.

Kuiora remained quiet, and I knew that she loved being a pokémon, but now was not the time for us to be helpless and relying on a trainer.

We were standing outside of the Ecruteak City gym, ignoring the stares of people passing by. Obviously, it was strange for a pack of pokémon to be out and about by themselves. It was a good thing that no one could understand us talk about our missing trainer, or perhaps they would be calling the police, just like Marty had threatened.

I'm kind of surprised Morty didn't come out of the Gym to follow up on the obviously unwell challenger he just had.

And then it hit me. Marty. Marty knew about Sai’s untamed demeanor. As soon as that boy saw us, he would be questioning our trainer and threatening to do something about it. It was possible that some unfavorable consequences would come out of our search, but at this point, I was desperate for anything.

“It’s risky,” I said to the team, “but I think I know who to find.”

Now this is surprising. I didn't think Marty would be this important to the story.

The first and most blatant place for us to look was the pokémon center. That was where most of the trainers decided to stay in a city, after all. Inside, the four of us disregarded the new, stranger looks of the new people as we went from room to room, knocking on each and every door. We split up to save time, though Rennio had to stay with me because he wasn’t sure what Marty or Sasha looked like. Some people answered, and when I didn’t recognize them, I bowed in apology and went to the next door, knowing it was useless to try to talk to them. In the end, however, no one found either of the people we were looking for.

“It was a good idea,” Ezrem said, which made me feel grateful for his presence for once. “But it didn’t work.”

“And we don’t have time to wait for the people who aren’t here, do we?” I said, rubbing my chin, making everyone believe that I was thinking. I really was only spacing out, worn out and wanting to rest, but it was good to pretend.

The next places we checked were the fancy restaurant and the mart, the same ones we had gone to with Sai for Atis’s “birthday.” We scoured the entirety of both places, but we didn’t find Marty or Sasha, and even worse, we eventually got kicked out of both places for supposedly causing a disturbance. We stood quietly outside of the pokémon mart now, more lost than we were before.

“This is a place where a lot of history about legendary pokémon originates, right?” Kuiora finally said. It was the first thing she had said during the entire search.

“Right,” I said. Even I knew about the story of the towers in the back of the city without the croconaw telling me.

“That probably means there’s lots of visitors, right? Like… Professor Elm was famous, and so a lot of people visited him. They always stayed in… hotels, I think they were called. Maybe Ecruteak City has a place like that for Marty and Sasha to stay in.”

“A brilliant idea, Kuiora,” Ezrem said, hopping over to her. He was getting along well without the patent use of his wings. “Let’s go find one.”

I have a bad feeling about this. At the very least, they're going to get kicked out again.

I hadn’t wanted to explore buildings in the city that we hadn’t been to yet, in case we weren’t allowed in. Then again, we hadn’t been allowed in the restaurant or the mart without our trainer, so this would be no different, and Kuiora had a point when she said that it was a likely place for Marty and Sasha to be. I nodded, deciding to go along with them.

So then we went from building to building, choosing to look in the windows instead of going inside. We saw normal houses, more restaurants, a dance hall, and I saw Kuiora even take a peek into the towers, though she clearly knew that they weren’t part of a hotel. The search reminded me of when I tried to get Sai to stop looking into buildings, and I wished that we were still at that point of our journey, when things somehow made more sense than they did now.

The last building that we looked in, of course, happened to be the hotel. Rennio had spotted it, saying that he could tell that it was a hotel because of the bellboys walking up the stairs with trays in their hands, and with the lady at the counter checking people in. We rushed inside, eager to have finally reached our destination. The hallways were mostly quiet except for the occasional person walking about, so we weren’t worried about getting kicked out this time. Again, we went from room to room, knocking and knocking and hoping.

By some great stroke of luck, we found Marty on the third floor. He opened the door, looking up and down the hallway, confused as to who could have been knocking. I had to pull on his pants leg to get his attention, even though there were four of us there, and none of us were particularly small anymore. He was rubbing his eyes, making me think that he had just woken up and was simply in a daze.

They actually found him? I'm quite surprised it went that smoothly.

“A furret?” he said sleepily. “And a croconaw… And I’ve seen that rufflet before. Sai’s team?”

I nodded. “Sai isn’t here,” I said, although he couldn’t understand me. I had to say it to make it feel real.

“What the hell? What are you guys doing here?” he said, fully alert now.

“Sai isn’t here,” I said again, trying to hold back tears. They had snuck up on me when I least expected them. Stepping forward, I pulled on Marty’s leg, motioning for him to come with us.

“Do you need me for something?” he said, not moving an inch.

I nodded again, pulling him harder. The rest of the team looked up at him pleadingly, unable to say a word.

“I don’t know what you want… I’m sorry… Here, maybe Gracie will know,” Marty said. He pulled away from my grasp and went into his room for a moment. He returned with the same small fire-type pokémon that I had fought back when we had the battle to decide who would stay or go. This pokémon looked slightly different, however. For one, I could now see her maroon-colored eyes. Her body was longer and more slender, though the colors were exactly the same. And instead of having just some spots on her back for flames to shoot out of, I could see that she could use her head to fight, too. She had evolved sometime between our battle and now, it seemed.

“You’ve grown,” I said stupidly, trying to figure out a way to start this awkward conversation.

“You, too,” Gracie said. There was a pause. “What do you guys need? This is a little, um, different…”

“Our trainer… is missing. He went to a place called Mahogany Town, and we have no idea where it is. We were hoping Marty or Sasha would know. They’re the only two other humans we know…” I said, soon trailing off. I didn’t realize until I was done talking that I had been speaking almost as fast as Sai had been. At some point in time, it seemed that I had adopted some of his idiosyncrasies.

I smiled so widely when she replied, “We’ve been there once or twice. I’m sure we can take you there.”

This almost seems too easy. There's got to be a catch somewhere.

“Really? Oh geez, this is great. Thank you so much,” I said, running up to hug her.

“Watch out for the fire-type,” Ezrem said, pulling me by the scruff of my neck. I glared at him, but was thankful that I hadn’t burned myself, too.

“Ahem,” I said, leaving that clumsy situation alone just to head into another one. “I don’t mean to be pushy, but can we go… now? We don’t want him to get himself hurt or lost.” I avoided saying that he had done it once before.

“Of course,” she said, smiling timidly. “One minute.”

After somehow conveying the situation to Marty for a few moments and after Marty told Sasha the situation, Gracie led all seven of us out of the hotel, taking us to the eastern edge of town. I had a feeling that the only reason Marty was listening was because it was his own pokémon. If it weren’t for Gracie, we would definitely be going much slower, or we wouldn’t be going at all.

When we reached the gate that would take us to the next section of the Johto region, she pointed to a sign and signaled for Marty to look at it.

That was when Marty got angry.

“Mahogany Town? Are you kidding me? Sai went to Mahogany Town and left his pokémon here?” He looked at me scarily, and for one brief moment I wished that I wasn’t the leader of the team. Ezrem could take the heat for this one if he really wanted to.

I was going to ask how they actually conveyed to Marty what they wanted, but now I see that they didn't actually completely manage to tell him everything until now, which is more understandable.

“Marty,” Sasha said serenely, probably trying to project her feelings onto him. “Maybe he had a good reason for going. We don’t know anything yet. Let’s just help these pokémon get to him for now, and stay calm.”

“Fine,” Marty muttered, and he kept walking ahead of all of us.

Sasha turned to all of us. “I’m sorry about him, guys,” she said. “We’ll find Sai. It’ll be all right.”

I could only hope that she was right. Despite everything, I had to admit that I wasn’t feeling as optimistic this time around. Sure, I was certain that we could locate him, since we were lucky that he talked more than usual, but I wasn’t so certain about us being glad when we found him.

I'm not so certain either, Senori, I'm not so certain either...

We passed through the gate that would lead us to the Mahogany Town path. The guard there waved at us, and it was a relief to not be given threatening looks for the first time that day. Sasha waved back and smiled. I thought about how we were also lucky to have someone like her with us. She was always kind to us, and exceedingly so. It was preferable to her brother, who, instead of having identical characteristics as siblings should, had quite a temper and easily held grudges toward others. I remembered hearing Marty’s story at the pokémon fan club, however, and somehow I was glad to have him around, too. More than anything, he cared about our well being.

Deciding to bring this up to someone who could understand me, I caught up with Gracie, who was walking next to Marty while the rest of us trailed closely behind.

“I know now why Marty was so keen on having us battle before,” I said. It seemed like a perfectly pleasant way to start a conversation.

The newly evolved quilava flinched at my sudden appearance next to her. “You do?” she said. “I don’t… I don’t know what you’re talking about…”

I wonder if Gracie is just confused due to being startled or if there is something more to this.

Luckily for the quilava, Marty interrupted the beginning of our talk. Immediately after the guard postings was an entrance to a cave and a rather small body of water. I could already see the other side, and I hoped that it led to where Sai would be.

“Well”—I noticed that Gracie’s attention shifted toward him suddenly instead of me—“we could either go the long way, or the short way. And there is no way in hell that I am spending over a week in a cave for the sake of Sai. So we’re going over the river.”

He reached behind his back and pulled a red and white pokéball off of his belt. He threw it forward, just like every other trainer would. His throw was different, however, as he had thrown it into the river, and the ball disappeared beneath the water’s surface. Soon, a massive water-type pokémon emerged and floated above so that we could see the top of its body. It looked like it had long, blue wings, like a flying-type might, but they were really just fins that were larger than most sea pokémon’s. Short blue antennae sat on its head, swishing around with excitement. It had black beady eyes that were looking at us expectantly.

Ooh, Mantine? I can't complain there. Seeing one of those is always a nice surprise.

“She can help us, guys,” Marty said. “Marin, I need you to do us a favor. We need to get across this river and go to Mahogany Town. Do you think you can carry all of us?” he asked, motioning to every member of our group.

Marin surveyed us, giving us a good look over for a few seconds. Its face scrunched up into a ball when it peered over at Kuiora.

“The croconaw can swim,” she said, and I thought that she would tell the rest of us no for a second. But then she smiled, and I knew that everything would go smoothly from here on out.

“Fantastic,” Sasha said, stepping up to the edge of the river. Marin got close enough so the young girl could climb on her back and rest peacefully, without wobbling and falling over. Marty did the same, and then gazed back at us.

“Do you want to go back in your pokéball, Gracie?”

“No,” Gracie said, shaking her head. “I have to get over being around water sometime, right?”

So the quilava was scared of water. It was typical for a fire-type. I thought that was why she was scared of my sudden appearance—she simply was afraid of what was coming next. But soon I would learn that that had nothing to do with it.

Both Marin and Gracie have nice touches of personality here. I like that you added what may or may not be details superfluous to the main plot at this point, because doing so shows that even as we speed toward the ending of the main narrative, other things independent of it are still happening in the world.

Kuiora was able to lower herself into the water, and she mentioned how it had been a long time since she could swim like this. After that… Well, it was a gratifying thing that Marin was as long as she was wide, or the rest of us wouldn’t have fit. Gracie stood on her hind legs behind Marty, and I went to be next to her. This made sense since we were long and slender, and thus could accommodate our body positions satisfactorily. Rennio and Ezrem, on the other hand, had to sit in Marty and Sasha’s laps respectively.

“Your poor wings,” Sasha said, noticing rather swiftly. “What happened to you?”

Ezrem didn’t answer her. He sat there, looking straight ahead.

“Hmm,” Marty said after a few moments of awkward silence. If he seemed concerned about the rufflet, he didn’t express it. “I suppose we’re off.”

And so we were. Marin slowly turned her body around so that she was facing our destination. It only took a couple seconds longer for her to start wading through the water at a quiet pace that would keep us all from falling backward.

After a while, it occurred to me that it could be a long ride. I attempted to talk to Gracie again by saying, “But yeah, anyway, I know what Marty went through. He mentioned it at the pokémon fan club Sasha goes to.”

“Oh,” Gracie said simply. She was shy, and perhaps I was going to be pushing too far, but I wanted something to distract me from the mess that was Sai.

“Do you know anything about it? You’re a pokémon, after all, and Marty’s father used to… abuse pokémon.”

“I was supposed to be a pet, so I was in the house when he did that. It was because of that man that Marty left and went on a journey to the first place. He didn’t like it… as you know,” Gracie said. Though she was speaking more, I could tell that she was still being vague.

I get the feeling Senori is pushing the issue with Gracie a little more than is a good idea...

A part of my heart instantly ached for her. Her flinching at my appearance wasn’t because of her being scared of water; it was because of her being scared of touch in general. And why would someone be afraid of touch? I almost wanted to slap myself in the face because of how obvious it was.

“Hmm,” I said, not wanting to force her to admit to anything she didn’t want to. I despised talking about my clan; similarly, she would probably hate talking about Marty’s father. “That stinks,” I went on brainlessly. “Would you have rather been a battler or a pet?”

“It doesn’t matter to me either way,” Gracie said. “It’s just that Marty gets to be too much sometimes. For instance… you know how Marty’s acted with Sai. He acts intensely insane with every bad trainer he comes across, even if the trainer doesn’t seem too bad to Sasha or me. Sasha’s the only one who can keep him somewhat calm… since she can talk to him…”

Of course, Gracie didn’t know that I knew what was going on inside her head. I felt that I was invading her mind and making her spill all of its contents against her will, when in reality I was doing no such thing. And in a sense, I felt that I was betraying Marty’s privacy. We were talking about a very intimate part of his past without him knowing it, and even worse, we were doing it right in his presence! It was times like these that I wished others were like Sai—private and able to talk to pokémon—only less eccentric and less prone to running away.

...but now I see that Senori is at least aware of what's happening, which is a nice detail. Seeing this not end in a misunderstanding and embarrassment is a refreshing change.

To avoid feeling even more guilt, I kept quiet. It was Gracie who intentionally went on and said, “I wished that would leave it alone and let me forget.”

“You’ll move on,” I said. “I don’t know how exactly, since I’ve never been in your situation, but you will. I did, too, so I know you can.”

“Thanks…” Gracie said shyly, and then she turned away.

Yeah, I kind of wish Senori had left it alone too...

The rest of the trip was relatively quiet. There was some more murmuring from Sasha about Ezrem’s wings, and she kept checking them to make sure that the bandages were on as snugly and as tightly as they could be. Marty made some comments about being scared of accidentally dropping Rennio in the water and consequently electrocuting us all, and thankfully, though his fears were warranted, it never happened. The only other noise that accompanied us on our journey was the sound of Kuiora gurgling in the water, enjoying her time swimming.

I was reflecting about Gracie’s ambiguous yet straightforward story, my story, and Rennio’s and Ezrem’s and everyone else’s. I had originally thought that nothing bad could happen to me, and once I was banished, I thought that my story was the most unique in the world, that no one else’s story could ever compare. Like most older pokémon (or like most of the sentret in my clan), I thought I knew everything that I needed to know. When I met Sai, I realized that I’d been a total idiot and that I needed a lot more focus in my life. I worked hard as his pokémon, and when it began to dawn on me that my heart was not necessarily being my best friend, I tried very even harder to beat it. And did beat it, by evolving and getting rid of my tail, my only connection to my clan. Now, as Sai’s relocation was just a hair’s breadth away, I felt that everything I knew was wrong, my perspective was utterly indefensible, and that there are no objective standards for anything anyone could imagine… including the idea that there are stages to life that everyone must follow. There’s not much imagination or creativity there, when you start thinking about it. Humans and pokémon alike have created these artificial goals simply because we wanted to have some way to explain the way the world works.

At this point, I decided that I didn’t care much anymore. I hoped to spend the time that remained in a way that was best for not only me, but for every single one of us on the team… including Sai.

The way Senori is talking really makes me feel like this is the end. It just... feels like the pre-climax reflection on what's happened.

Mahogany Town looked like a pleasant enough place, one that I would have loved to spend more time in, if we weren’t on the lookout for our renegade trainer. I would have loved to spend more time here because the town almost looked like a humanized version of a forest. All of the buildings were a light green color, with the roofs being of a darker green. Unusually, there was no pavement to walk upon here, and the grass looked well taken care of, beautiful and alive. Several carriages were lined up next to every building, with a crowd of people at each—they were waiting for their turn at whatever goods the carriages were selling. Not a single person looked like they wished they were somewhere else in the world.

Pleasant imagery, I'm just surprised they got here this fast.

Finally, someone answered nonchalantly, “I saw a boy like that. Hard not to miss him when he’s away from everyone else. He went toward that laboratory over there.” The woman pointed to a lone metallic building at the edge of town. It was away from all of the other buildings, and no carriages or large amount of people were there.

This is perfectly in line with the theories I had for a long time.

“Thank you very much,” Sasha said, bowing curtly. She was suddenly in a hurry. She strode over to the laboratory, and the rest of us eagerly followed.

“Of all places, he send Atis to a laboratory? Maybe Atis left us to be a lab rat,” Ezrem commented, scoffing at the thought.

“Shut up,” I said. “Sai would never do that. And Atis would never willingly agree to that, either.”

If they only knew...

Ezrem said nothing more, but he coughed mockingly. Rennio was shrinking back from the place, staying behind all of us. Kuiora looked up at the building in awe, probably never having seen something more creepy yet fascinating in her life. Gracie didn’t seem to have a reaction… since it wasn’t her trainer that we were talking about. And Atis… I looked for him, but then I remembered that he wasn’t here.

He was in the building in front of us. And so was Sai.

Sasha stopped in front of the entrance, but Marty barged right on in, fists clenched and raring to go if necessary. I knew he wouldn’t hesitate to punch Sai in the face once he was given the chance. The rest of us followed. We were more reluctant this time, but we knew we couldn’t turn back now.

The first floor of the building seemed anticlimactic to us. I didn’t quite know what we were expecting to see, but it wasn’t an empty floor with a simple counter, much like the one we saw at pokémon centers. A fountain stood in the middle of the room, with plants and chairs surrounding it for comfort. Other than this, only one thing stood out: there was a guard blocking the stairs leading upward.

Marty approached this guard first and said, “Excuse me, but we were told one of our… friends came through here. We really need to see him. If you don’t mind, would you let us through?”

“Sorry,” the guard said in a husky voice with the slightest hint of an accent, “but no one is allowed upstairs. Authorized personnel only.”

“Authorized personnel? Like hell the boy is authorized to be in a place like this. He barely knows how to tell his right foot from his left.”

“If he was able to get upstairs,” the guard said firmly, “then he was authorized.”

There's definitely a deep connection between Sai and Team Rocket if he was 'authorized.'

Marty gritted his teeth; he was getting real angry, real fast. “I didn’t come all this way to be told that Sai is as mysterious as ever, and that I should leave him alone to stay that way. Let us through.”

“The answer is no,” the man insisted.

“Marty…” Sasha said, about to lightly touch him on the shoulder, but it was too late.

Marty had gestured to Gracie to attack, and, as loyally as ever, Gracie obeyed him. She dashed forward, running underneath the guard’s legs and knocking him off balance. He fell on his stomach, groaning at the impact of his chin hitting the ground. Marty thanked Gracie for her services and stepped over the guard, running up the stairs and motioning for all of us to follow. Stunned, we felt obliged to obey just as well as Gracie had.

Well it's pretty obvious that something like this would have to happen. It would be a drag on the story if the security wasn't just disposed of.

Upstairs was where the real scenery came into play. The first floor donned nothing that any normal building would—and should—have. I had never been inside a laboratory before, so maybe that contributed to my unusual viewpoint, but I was sure that this place wasn’t normal. Along the walls were several computers and full desks where people sat, wearing long, white lab coats. They were holding clipboards and scribbling on them with their pens furiously, or they were messing with the vials that sat in front of them. What stood out the most, however, was the machine in the middle of the room. Part of the machine hung from the ceiling, and part of it was connected with the ground and a cot. On the cot lay a purple snake-like pokémon, and it was writing in pain as a man next to it was taking notes…

On the first floor, Sai wasn’t there, but there was the buzzing of the machines and a ton of screaming.

Is this the lab from the games or something different?

“Keep going,” Marty yelled over the screaming, “until you find him.”

We went to the edge of the room, which led us to the stairs leading to the second floor. As we ran through the room, the scientists nearby looked up from their clipboards and looked at us curiously, suddenly panicking and demanding that the intruders be attacked. As we ran as quickly as we could, I noticed that there were also stairs leading down, and I kept a mental note to myself that said we should return to this floor if we didn’t find Sai anywhere else.

The second floor wasn’t much better in terms of content, though it was quieter. The room was completely empty save for two people and two pokémon, taking their places on the arena that was designated by white chalk on the otherwise empty, bare floor. The battle would seem normal if the pokémon didn’t look like they were battling to the death. There was blood—both dried blood and new blood—all over their bodies and in the fighting area. The pokémon were panting heavily, while the trainers—if you could even call them that—stood by watching, completely unscathed.

An experiment to ... make Pokemon stronger in some way? Curious, it wouldn't have been the first thing I would have thought of. The imagery is pretty brutal.

I darted forward on all paws, crossing the arena. The granbull tried to catch my tail in between its teeth, because I stupidly got too close—that’s what happens when confusion takes over—but I narrowly escaped. The sunflora tried to take Ezrem out since he appeared weaker, but Ezrem yelled something about being a flying-type and having the advantage, so the grass-type shrunk back, trying to cradle its wounds instead. Kuiora and Rennio got by without problems, unless you counted Rennio’s sudden sobbing problematic.

“I just want Annie!” he cried, and when he stopped, Kuiora had to start carrying him and tell him to suck it up. He stopped talking about his older trainer and now asked to stay and fight for his new trainer, but no one was actually going to let him do so.

I can't blame Rennio at all for feeling that way...

“Not in this mess,” Ezrem agreed.

The third and fourth floors were standard rooms with desks and machines lined up everywhere. The only difference from the first floor was that it seemed that there were individual offices for the people who worked here. The privacy that the enclosed walls offered thankfully allowed us to sneak by quietly, and without being noticed. Kuiora let out a huge sigh of relief, but that was the only sound we made, and it was hardly damaging.

We kept running and running, floor after floor, not daring to stop even once. Most of the rooms looked the same, and thankfully, we went by relatively unnoticed. It was finally different on the seventeenth floor—I think it was the seventeenth floor, anyway. It resembled a modern, humanized living room. There was a couch in the middle of the room, a coffee table in front of it, and some plants in the each corner, giving the place a rather relaxing atmosphere. We were anything but relaxed, however. Questions were running swiftly through my mind. Where was Sai? Why was he affiliated with a place like this? Where was Atis, and what kind of tests could they be running on him? Why were there pokémon fighting so brutally when battling was supposed to be fun? My thoughts lingered on the basement that we didn’t get to see, but it was too late to go back and explore.

The stairs in this room were hidden behind the tall couch. When we arrived at the foot of the stairs, I could see that there was a door at the top, which was different from all of the other floors. From the light that was pouring inside, it seemed that these stairs led outside.

“Well, guys,” I said, out of breath from running, “this is one of the last places Sai could be. Let’s hope he’s here.” I paused. “Or not. Whichever you prefer,” I added solemnly.

Luckily—or unluckily, depending—Sai was at the top of the building. I was glad to see that he was safe and that he seemed physically unharmed. He wasn’t alone. I was also glad to see that Atis was standing a good ten feet in front of him. The only person I didn’t recognize was a woman that was by Atis. She was short and had a small body, but it seemed that she had a rather firm grasp on the fighting-type’s arm. And the fighting-type was visibly shuddering; we could all see it, even though we were far away.

“It looks like you have friends that are here to see you,” the woman said calmly.

“Mother, please—” Sai started, but then his body unmistakably tensed up. He turned to see us, and his eyes went wide with amazement.

I think I just saw every theory I had confirmed. I'm not even sure if I should be shocked or not, but man, this is pretty depressing even though I predicted a lot of it. I get the feeling it's going to be all-out bad news from here.

I took a closer look at the woman that was with Sai. Apparently, it was his mother. Why wasn’t his mother back in Vermilion City, where he said he was from? Was it just another lie he told us? And surprisingly enough, she didn’t look very similar to him. She had green eyes instead of blue, and her hair almost looked black, but I could tell it was just a dark brown because of the sun that was highlighting it.

“You’ve grown, Sai,” the woman went on. “You have such loyal pokémon now… just like you always wanted.” I saw her squeeze Atis’s arm, and he only shook harder. “And you look even more like your father than before. You’ve got the same wildly lonely look in your eyes. Are you still lonely, Sai?” she said in a sympathetic, motherly tone.

“Stop it!” Sai cried, snapping his attention back to her. His voice had a much harsher tone than it normally did, and it almost made me shake myself. “I just want Atis back. Give me Atis back right now…!”

“You willingly gave me the hitmontop. You even let us poison him and make him faint just to capture him, so he wouldn’t fight back. And you’re telling me that you want to take it all back?” the woman said tauntingly.

His mother knows exactly what words to choose to cause him the most trouble, doesn't she?

I gasped. Had Sai really done that? It seemed unreal to me, to hear of him being so unnaturally… cruel. I looked at the others, and I could tell that they were all thinking the same thing.

“I do,” Sai said determinedly. “I thought… I thought I could abide by your rules, if it meant I could be free. I can’t do it, though. I won’t.” His words sounded reassuring. They sounded more like the Sai I knew, but I was still beyond confused. I stood there with the others, utterly frozen.

“You were ordered to prepare pokémon like this, and give them to us. You’ve done exactly so. We thank you for it.”

And there it is. I knew he had to be part of some kind of experiment or project for a long time now, and my guesses weren't far off the mark.

A lot makes sense now... his obsession with choosing Pokemon 'fated' to be his, his erratic behavior which can now be mapped to his struggles with what Team Rocket wanted him to do, all of it.

“No! I want him back! I’ve seen what you guys do to pokémon. You call yourself Team Rocket and say that you’re just trying to make the world a better place, but I’ve seen what you do! It’s nothing good. Nothing good at all. I won’t put Atis through that. I won’t—”

“And then you will never see the light of day again. That was the deal, was it not? I created this project to save you, Sai. To save you. To give you a life you’ve always dreamed of…”

And yet there's still more to it? It always felt like there was some dark secret about his past besides the Team Rocket connection...

“I didn’t want this! I never did. I only did it because… because you promised me things would get better. That I would get better. But I never got better! Not even for a second!”

“It’s not my fault that you believed my words,” the woman said evenly, but her words didn’t match the ruined expression on her face.

“You promised! You promised…” Sai said. He started sobbing as he reached into his pocket and pulled out the knife that he had bought in Goldenrod City. I almost cried, too. Had he been waiting for this moment all his life? He held it out threateningly toward her. His arm was as firm as the woman’s grasp on Atis.

I should have known the knife was a Chekhov's Gun, I really, really should have. The question is if Sai actually has the guts to do it.

“Are you going to hurt me, Sai? Just as I’ve supposedly hurt you?” she asked.

“Why not? You like weapons. You love them so much that you decided to name me after one. How nice of you,” he said sarcastically between sobs. “Give me Atis back. I don’t want to have to use it.”

Wait, what? They named Sai after a weapon?

Now I know that's not going to be forgotten. Something like that MUST be meaningful in some way.

The woman frowned, and she let go of Atis and put her hands in the air, as if signaling surrender. I watched in awe as Atis ran over to us quicker than I had ever seen him run before. When he got close to us, I could see real terror in his eyes. I went up to him and hugged him, but Atis said there was no time for a reunion.

I'm rather surprised someone who appears to be fairly influential in Team Rocket is giving up this easily. I think it might be a trap.

“We’ve got to get Sai out of here,” he said with haste. “Before he goes crazy. Please, Senori, you’ve got to talk to him and… and…” But he couldn’t continue.

It was clear to me that Sai wasn’t fond of this woman. Despite this, she obviously knew about him more than anyone else. She knew everything, perhaps.

“If she knows Sai, maybe she can help us keep him from going crazy,” I offered quietly. Apparently, I hadn’t been quiet enough, because my trainer obviously heard me.

“Don’t talk to her! She’s only going to tell you about all the bad things I’ve done. Even if what she says isn’t true, she’ll win. She always wins…” Sai said, his arm twitching slightly now. He was staring directly at her, talking loudly to make sure we could hear him.

“Sai,” his mother said. “Just as you weren’t allowed to get close to your pokémon, I’m not allowed to be close to you. I’m your mother. Why else would I want to be like this to my son? I don’t want to be like this. Please understand and put the knife down.”

“No,” Sai said. “I won’t. I’m done listening to you.”

“…Then you will pay for it.”

I don't buy her 'concern' for him for a minute.

“Please, Senori,” Atis begged again. “You have to do something.”

More than anything, I wanted to help Sai. I felt that it was all I lived for, really…

But Sai already seemed too far gone.

This isn't going to end well for every involved party, I get the feeling...

All I can say is wow. This was intense. So much happened in this chapter, and so much finally got confirmed and tied up... I can't do anything but rate this highly. Written well, plotted solidly and containing excellent content... it's all here. I have literally nothing I can criticize.

Last edited: